[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenWRT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: openwrt_rb450g.jpg (61 KB, 582x417) Image search: [Google]
openwrt_rb450g.jpg
61 KB, 582x417
>there are people ITT running proprietary backdoored firmware on their routers

Why aren't you running OpenWRT?
It works on every router that isn't shit so you have no excuse.
If you can't SSH into your router, it's not a router.
It's a black box that sends packets, and you're not in control of those packets.
>>
>>51269708
How do I install it?
>>
>>51269741
The same way you upgrade firmware on your router.

I installed OpenWRT on my TP-Link wireless router. Now when the wireless interface locks up I can just restart the interface instead of having the whole webUI become unresponsive and having to hard reset.
>>
You really should not have root access over SSH enabled. Especially on a router. Make a user account with a really strong password, then use su to elevate when you log in. This makes it much harder to bruteforce and can really save your ass later on.
>>
Because I use my ISP's modem/router, don't think it will work
>>
>>51269811
same
>>
>>51269795
how is this any different than having the admin password on the web interface?
The only thing you can't do with the stock firmware is brick it.
>>
>>51269779
Cool. I'm probably gonna install it for a school networking assignment anyway, nice to know it's not anything too arcane to setup
>>
>>51269811
Same.

Would putting my ISP router in bridge mode and letting my dd-wrt router be the gateway make a difference?
>>
Kill yourselves
>>
Because I'm using a real WAP and a real router, not some shitty hacked together consumer-grade garbage.
>>
Didn't OpenWRT include binary blobs?
>>
Does openwrt let me block ads at the router level?
I'm sick of having to sit through ads on the youtube app on my TV.
>>
>>51269708
Any router suggestions? I need to get away from my current piece of shit.
>>
>>51269963
Yes.
You can use hosts-file based adblock (fast, works for all applications with no special configuration, does not catch all, only that hosted on its own domains)
and/or transparent proxy (more flexible, may be circumvented)
Both are supported, IIRC.
>>
If I install this, do I have to fuck around with conf files and the command line?

Or can I do everything through a web interface?
>>
>>51270032
Second.
>>
>>51269929
for broadcom chipsets

don't use broadcom with openwrt the proprietary driver is outdated and stock firmware / dd-wrt (they signed an NDA) always performs better
>>
>implying you router isnt backdoored at a hardware level
>>
>>51269795
>Having SSH access from the WAN side enabled to begin with
>Having a password that can be bruteforced reasonably
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.