[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just had a discussion with a person about how a power strip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 8832644058_086d1923be_o.png (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
8832644058_086d1923be_o.png
19 KB, 640x480
I just had a discussion with a person about how a power strip works, he stated that even when switched off, there's still current running through it, while i say the opposite, since the switch works as a bridge and current can't pass through a resistor.
Who is wrong and who is right?
Picture related.
>>
>>51264242
depends on the powerstrip and what type of switch it uses.

If its just a really strong resistor than your friend is right, if it's completely open than you're right.
>>
Current can pass through a resistor.

With your diagram, no power is used when the power strip is switched off.
>>
>>51264242
Both designs are used in power strips.
Power strips are very inconsistent in this way. In fact, some just use the switch to turn on or off the main lead, that's just daisy chained to the outlets.
>>
>>51264255
>>51264264
>>51264265
So basically when switched off the power strip is still using current?
How so, exactly?
>>
>>51264284
Depends on the design.
I havnt taken apart many, but from what I've seen, its usually fake loads coming off of the switch in off position.
>>
>>51264311
>fake loads
Would it be an hassle for you to show me with a diagram how this would technically work?
>>
File: 1447087016258.jpg (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447087016258.jpg
42 KB, 640x480
>>51264242
Damn. Cant believe I found a good thread on /g/

>>51264322
This is a simple version that actually doesnt really divert the power from the main load at all
>>
>>51264402
That's rather interesting.
Thanks, anon.
I had this discussion because apparently that cunt spilled water on a power strip, and was bright enough to just cut the wires instead of switching it off.
Now we're having a fight over this.
The powerstrip couldn't be plugged off.
So basically i'm stating that switching it off would have stopped the short cuts (we had one because of this), while he says otherwise.
Who the fuck is right?
>>
>>51264448
Cutting a live wire? Shaking my head to be honest
>>
>>51264448
Even if it drew no current while switched off, the water could have shorted the switch
>>
>>51264242
Its AC so there could be capacitive across the switch coupling passing enough current for the neon to glow.

If the power strp has any line to earth capacitors then they could be providing the path of current flow, earth and neutral can have several tens of volts across them sometimes when the able impedance is large enough.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.