[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommended OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (374 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
374 KB, 640x1136
So /g/, my hard drive probably broke on my gaming rig and I have a new one coming soon. Most of the files weren't extremely important, but I don't want to shell out for a new Windows 7 or 8 OS and I don't know how to recover that. I was wondering if you guys had recommendations on any Linux based OS?
>>
Install /g/entoo
>>
If you don't know how to recover a windoze cdkey, I would recommend Gentoo as it is the easiest for Linux noobs. This is why /g/ is always telling noons to

> install gentoo

Don't bother with Ubuntu or Mint at this point, the learning curve is too steep.
>>
>>51264021
>Shell out for new OS
You only need the activation key and not the files.

But anyway, I'd install Arch if you're an enthusiast, Debian if you're not, and Mint if you're a bit of a retard.
>>
Be/g/igolOS
>>
>>51264047

Ok so it's CD based. Now, I have a CD port, but it's external and by USB. If I set the USB to boot first in BIOS, will I still be able to install it? I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux (as you're obviously aware), but I wanna make sure I do this right.
>>
>>51264047
This guy is trolling you. Do the opposite of what he says. And it doesn't really matter what distro. Just install wine and playonlinux.
>>
>>51264049
It came installed with the hard drive, but I'm ordering a SATA cable to test if that may be the problem. If it's not I don't think I can recover it on the new HDD?
>>
>>51264428
You can recover your copy of windows if and only if you have the product key. If it's a prebuilt computer the product key might be stuck on the side.
>>
>>51264699
I think I have it on here. But I couldn't boot with it could I? Or is it possible to make a recovery CD? If so there's still no guarantee my external CD tray will work.
>>
>>51264764
You can reinstall windows using a USB drive if your CD tray is kaput.
>>
>>51264157
Yes, or just enter the bios at boot and make sure.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.