[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings /g/, /k/omando here. Hopefully you can take a bit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: diyHero-2.jpg (21 KB, 280x245) Image search: [Google]
diyHero-2.jpg
21 KB, 280x245
Greetings /g/, /k/omando here. Hopefully you can take a bit of pitty on my circumstance. Long story short I'm in the very beginning stages of a divorce and I know she will be taking the computer as it was hers before we got married.

My question is: Is it possible to build a budget computer ($300 max) that will be easily upgradable to a decent gaming rig once the dust settles and I can find my head again? I'm not looking to running any games at full settings in the near or really in the distant future, but I thought as long as I'm getting a computer for myself, I might as well have the ability to play games on it if I wanted to (douchy console guy here...).

Unfortunately, I really know nothing about building computers as far as parts compatability and really if it's possible to use cheap parts now to get me through until I get the funds to buy better parts (read: do cheap parts use the same connections as good ones?)

Again, sorry for the noobyness with the subject, and sorry for another "help with PC building" thread, but hopefully you can see it's not a typical situation.

If anyone needs help with guns I'll give my input for what that's worth...
>>
>>51263719
If you concede that there's no reason for a private citizen to own a firearm in 2015, I'll tell you everything you wanna know.
>>
Assuming your talking 300 for only the tower and not keyboard/mouse/monitor and its 300 burgerdollars then I can see what I can do.
>>
Yea, I built a PC for 300$ that ran most new games back in 2011, but don't expect max quality.

Besides most PC games are so optimized now a days and the tech is so advanced, there's very few games that actually take full advantage of this.

It's super easy, check out pcpartpicker.com
>>
Read the fucking sticky
>>
>>51263719
>My question is: Is it possible to build a budget computer ($300 max)

Hello fellow /K/ommando.. the answer to this question is.. yes.

>that will be easily upgradable to a decent gaming rig once the dust settles and I can find my head again?

yes.

See what you can come up with here and I will check it for you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
>>
>>51263719
>>51263798
Im not that harsh,
If you concede that it would be a very good idea that private citizens may only own firearms, including hunting rifles once they have gone through a police background check (no robbery or assault related felonies etc.) and an psychological bill of clean health,
well then i shall assist you.
>>
This should work pretty well, just torrent an os if you can. Obviously isnt optimal but should run up to mid range games pretty well. Next logical upgrade should be a good GPU. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n4KFVn
>>
>>51263905
fuck off faggot.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z2gYxr
>>
This is definitely possible, anon. Get the Pentium g3258, the MSI z97 pc mate, and a cheap cooler master cooler. You can overclock to get some good performance, and upgrade down the line. Might even be able to squeeze in a cheap graphics card at that price.
>>
OP here, thank you guys so much! Ill look into all these builds at lunch. Thanks again guys, really.
>>
>>51263957
sorry that was meant for this >>51263798 faggot
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xTb47P
>>
Well, OP. The answer is not. Not going to make a good upgradeable pc starting with $300 because in that case all your parts would have be relatively shit. So you'll have a all around low budget PC but still not bad. Problem is with PC hardware any single piece especially cpu can hold back your new parts installed later on. Decent CPU that would be ok for later on would take up half of that $300 at least leaving you not enough to finish the build meaning you wouldn't have a whole PC.
>>
>>51264162
That really isnt how bottlenecks work tho, plus the platform is easily upgradable. If he ends up getting a build with FM2+ then when he gets a gpu he can put a X 860 or something in it. 8gb works fine and can be upgraded to 16gb later.
>>
>>51264363
C'mon, he's going through a divorce, and you recommend AMD.
You don't even know this guy, why do you want to make his life even worse?
>>
>>51264435
He can cuddle up to his pc so it will keep him warm at night.
>>
>>51264466
x-D
>>
What ever you do, do NOT get a pentium if you want to game on it, some new games wont even star on it since 4 threads have become a standard latley
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3QVqvK

Keeps you current with the option to upgrade to a better cpu later, and it has some sort of integrated graphics if you want to play something before you get your gpu and ssd. You could go with a bigger hdd or small ssd but I was trying to keep it under 300 after rebates.

The fx 6300 isn't bad but old socket with only 1 upgrade for cpu and i3 matches or beats it.
>>
>>51264528
He can get a socket 1150 pentium and play less demanding games for now, then upgrade to a decent 1150 cpu later. He would probably be able to find a cheap used i7 by that time.
>>
File: 21231231.jpg (514 KB, 1483x2000) Image search: [Google]
21231231.jpg
514 KB, 1483x2000
>>51263719
start with the game you want to play and work backwards from there

NEVER install linux. In K terms that would be like taking a cheap plastic 3D printer gun to the gun range and firing off 300 rounds.
>>
OP here, how's this look? All the pieces fit together?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dfs23

I kind of took something from just about all the builds on here.
>>
>>51266831
I forgot to mention, I already have a 1 tb portable HDD I can live off of for the time being

Again guys, I don't know how to thank you enough, I really (clearly) have no idea how to put something like this together, and I know these threads are as annoying as "What gun should I buy" threads are over on /k/.
>>
>>51263798
What a fucking
C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>51267623
that bad?
>>
>>51263719

OP, congrats on your divorce. The last thing you should be doing is gaming. Wasting your time in an online fantasy world will doom you to being a beta male the rest of your life. You will just fall into another doomed relationship.

How do I know this? You don't have enough scratch put aside to afford even a decent PC post divorce. You're posting on 4chan. You're concerned about not being able to play video games.

What about being concerned you'll never become a man?

You need to take a long hard look at your lifestyle and habits. OP, this is a transformative moment in your life, you're standing at the crossroads of becoming the man you were destined to be, or staying a beta faggot. You need to be:
- hitting the gym
- getting therapy so you can figure out why you have such shitty mate selection (this applies to about 99% of humanity, self included)
- saving up money, building up your career
- working on your game and banging babes

If you understand nothing else, understand this:
- Women love opportunistically (ie Is this a man who will give me social & material security, does he have high social value?)
- Men love idealistically (Is this a woman who is not just a hot fuck and looks good hanging on my arm, but is a person I can bond with, respect and grow with?)
>>
>>51263719
>Long story short I'm in the very beginning stages of a divorce and I know she will be taking the computer as it was hers before we got married.
/k/uckold
>>
300$ is VERY limited if you really want to expand later on.
Do you already have a system or some parts laying around? If so, tell us exactly wich.
>>
>>51263719
http://choosemypc.net
You might want to get yourself a laptop, check local Craigslist sites, or use site related.

Budget is $300? You should go with an AMD build, 6gb ram at most, 500gb HDD, and a mobo with at least one PCIex16 slot. Choose your power supply by calculating how much you need, if the requirements for your build are 450w, you don't need a 700w PS, but do leave room for a gpu.
Don't get anything over 4 years old.

Get a monitor that uses a dvi connection as well.
Also lurk desktop threads/battlestation threads. Be sure to tell them you're not looking to game on it anytime soon.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.