[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for a hard disk to fly out of the computer and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg (113 KB, 389x251) Image search: [Google]
LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg
113 KB, 389x251
Is it possible for a hard disk to fly out of the computer and kill me? I know it would be very small but is there any chance at all?
>>
yea. my computer case has 3 cases of bullet proof glass surrounding it.
>>
>>51257483
>>51257491
but it's very very small right?
>>
>>51257523
No
>>
>>51257523
It happened to my brother last week and my dad a month ago. It's more common than you think
>>
even if the platters exploded they wouldn't be able to escape from the hdd's metal casing
>>
>>51257438
I switched all of my drives to SSDs just to be safe.
>>
Yes. Quick! turn off your computer.
>>
>>51257569
>That one autistic kid
>>
>>51257538
My condolences. Happened to my stepmom a few years ago, walked in on her decapitated body as she was trying online yoga classes. The online yoga part really terrifies me, strangely enough
>>
>>51257438
Way back in 1928, a hard disk flew out of a computer and killed my mom, 3 years before I was born.

But you do not need to worry about modern hard disks, since they are shipped in hardened metal enclosures. Just make sure you do NOT move the computer while the hard disk is moving. Wait for 2-3 hours after shutting down the PC before moving it, to ensure that the hard disk has completely stopped spinning.
>>
File: safety_first.jpg (66 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
safety_first.jpg
66 KB, 640x400
>>51257438
Yes. That's why I always wear a helmet when I program.
>>
>>51257634
jesus christ
>>
My cdrom drive actually shattered one of my cd and flew it out of the computer once
This was a long time ago though, it was a Windows 98 PC and the CD was small soldiers squad commander
>>
>>51257664
Did it kill your mother?
>>
>>51257634
smart man
>>
>>51257664
i've had a cd explode on me before as well, my unreal tournament GOTY cd
goes to show how often i installed it
it didn't escape from the cd drive but HOLY HELL was it loud, i freaked out and switched the machine off at the wall almost immediately, thinking it was one of my hdd's that exploded (the install bar stopped at the same time)

miraculously the cd drive still worked (i dismantled it to get the bits out)
>>
>>51257438
Yes

there is alot of tricks to make sure you dont get hurt tho. One popular one is to put a magnets around the hard drive so if it does break, the magnet catches all the metal pieces. You want a semi strong magnet though because weak ones dont work as well
>>
>>51257717
oh and don't worry, i had a backup of the ut goty disc on cd-r
>>
>>51257616
sry for your loss
>>
File: urmum.jpg (62 KB, 630x416) Image search: [Google]
urmum.jpg
62 KB, 630x416
>>51257438
depends
A sudden change in weight (like erasing all data to 0s) will make it spin faster, increasing the chances of it flying away.

Also, watch out for the fan. Macinbooks removed them for a reason
>>
>>51257438
Yes
>>
Yes of course OP. everyone here knows to take serious safety precautions, such as purchasing ~50-200ft hdmi and usb cables and separating your computer from your monitor keyboard and mouse by AT LEAST 3 walls, 4-5 if your walls arent made of reinforced concrete like mine. its worth, your life is more important than those few hundred the cables will cost. its what all real g/entelmoon do desu
>>
>>51258250
thank u for posting that pic
>>
some cheaper hard drives aren't properly weight calibrated, and after you fill them up with too much data (usually around 80%) the weight imbalance will throw them off. always buy seagate for maximum quality.
>>
File: KeWAdMw.jpg (105 KB, 616x610) Image search: [Google]
KeWAdMw.jpg
105 KB, 616x610
>>51257438
There's a very small chance of literally anything happening. At any given moment, the atoms in your finger and the atoms in your keyboard have an incredibly small but nonzero chance of aligning in such a way that they slide past one another and your finger becomes permanently merged with the keyboard. There's a very small but nonzero chance that your monitor could spontaneously turn into a dragon due to obscure quantum reactions not currently understood by science and escape through your window.

So yes, a number of factors could happen to come together in such a way that your hard disk could fly out of your computer and kill you - but the odds of that happening, like these other examples, are probably unfathomably low.
>>
>>51257597
That's awful. Mine both lived, but the bro lost an arm and my dad now wakes up at night screaming, whenever he hears my computer disk spin up.
>>
Just defragment often, it smooths out the files on the platters so weak points don't develop.
>>
File: 1446786887837.jpg (199 KB, 1920x824) Image search: [Google]
1446786887837.jpg
199 KB, 1920x824
>>51259499
This.

If you defrag your hard drive you'll be fine.

It's called defragging because if you don't do it regularly you risk your hard drive exploding like a frag grenade from the disk either getting loose and flying out at high velocity(making the hard drive usualy explode from the force) or the disk in your hard drive will shatter and it'll be like a frag grenade going off inside your computer.

Remember to defrag at least once a month.
>>
>>51257438
>I know it would be very small
You know wrong...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISqCAnROh8
it doesn't look that bad
>>
this is why you buy a solid state drive
>>
>>51259735
it only happened so smoothly because he defragmented before doing this.. if he didn't that would have been a totally different outcome.
>>
>>51259541
Fucking normies man, they NEVER defrag their external HDDs and then just dump that shit down wherever. Risking lives other than their own desu
>>
>>51257587
Funny how anyone that isn't completely retarded is now labeled autistic. The liberals won.
>>
>>51261038
Shut up you fucking liberal autist.
>>
>>51257523
No
>>
>>51257575
Soft Safe Disks
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.