[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just found out about GPU wars How is this a thing? How is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11
File: nvidia-amd.jpg (42 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-amd.jpg
42 KB, 650x300
>just found out about GPU wars
How is this a thing? How is brand loyalty for THESE a thing? It's a fucking computer part, it's not like a car, or a vidya console, where there's subjective positives and negatives. It's not like there's exclusive games or something, one will just be better than the other by being the top-end piece.

Am I missing something here? Is there some sort of loyalty bonus with GPUs I've never heard of? How is this something people fight over?
>>
>>51256996
There ARE subjective positives and negatives moron.
>>
File: nvidia bros vs amd scum.jpg (120 KB, 751x501) Image search: [Google]
nvidia bros vs amd scum.jpg
120 KB, 751x501
>>
As long as there are opposites there'd be those people who are for those opposites, for different reasons. It shouldn't bother you, people form opinions on things they prefer, it's a personal preference.
>>
File: tfw suicide.jpg (36 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
tfw suicide.jpg
36 KB, 300x360
>tfw bought a gtx 970
>got back home and found tyrone shagging my wife
>>
File: typical amd customer.jpg (17 KB, 320x309) Image search: [Google]
typical amd customer.jpg
17 KB, 320x309
>>51257096
Understandable, my friend. Since you're a poor faggot that has been purchasing AMD for his entire life, now that you made the switch it was far too late because your wife realized that you have AMicroDick.
>>
>just found out about console wars
How is this a thing? How is brand loyalty for THESE a thing? It's a bloody console, it's not like a car, or a PC part, where there's subjective positives and negatives. It's not like there's exclusive genres or something, one will just be better than the other by being the top-end piece.

Am I missing something here? Is there some sort of loyalty bonus with consoles I've never heard of? How is this something people fight over?
>>
>>51257096
>Hello /g/ I need you to help me pick a Nvidia Graphics Card for my Wife's Son

Topkuk
>>
>>51256996
it's more about supporting an Nvidia competitor to prevent market monopoly and a rise in prices, it's only about brand loyalty if you're an Nvidiot
>>
>>51257096
tyrone probably use a stolen amd.
haha kek.
>>
File: typical amd fags.jpg (43 KB, 480x294) Image search: [Google]
typical amd fags.jpg
43 KB, 480x294
>>
File: perfwatt_2560.gif (45 KB, 400x683) Image search: [Google]
perfwatt_2560.gif
45 KB, 400x683
>>51256996
Main argument for amd is being $20 cheaper and that consuming twice the power, heating up your room, having zero game optimizations, and enduring horrendous drivers doesn't matter.

Yeah, some people actually unironically buy AMD products.
>>
Are you retarded, there is pros and cons.

some games are optimized for different manufacturers and everything cost different
>>
>>51257240
>falling for power consumption meme
>>
It costs money. $200 is a lot to some, not to mention if you go for the higher end $800+ ones. Buyer's bias exists for $50 items so what do you think's happening.

AMD is best dollar to value ratio.
nVIDIA is best performance.

There are random games that because of the type of graphics they use, one card will outperform the other even though it shouldn't. Both of these companies need to exist or else there would be stagnation and no competition. There you go now add this to your filter.
>>
>>51257240
this
>>
Basically every Nvidia card gets fucked by AMD until you reach 980ti or Titan X as they fuck everything AMD has (apart from R9 295x2 but that thing is fucking rediculous)
>>
>>51256996
Poorfags buy AMD and then feel the need to come online and try to justify their purchase/counter their buyers remorse by shitposting about nvidia.
>>
>>51257338
So you think graphics cards don't use any power?
>>
>worse dx12 performance
>costs more
>fucks their customers over (3.5gb)

Why would anyone want an nvidia card?
>>
File: cucks.png (328 KB, 1040x432) Image search: [Google]
cucks.png
328 KB, 1040x432
>>51257059
>>
>>51257786
>Poorfags buy AMD and then feel the need to come online and try to justify their purchase/counter their buyers remorse by shitposting about nvidia.
jesus christ, the difference between the r9 390 and gtx 970 is like ten bucks, quit being such a weird drama queen
>>
How is this hard to understand OP? Both companies are very personal, Nvidia more so. Also, having only two competitors makes it very easy to want to take a side.
>>
File: yuyu hakusho point laugh.jpg (32 KB, 491x358) Image search: [Google]
yuyu hakusho point laugh.jpg
32 KB, 491x358
>>51257864
KEK I can't remember the last time i laughed so hard here
>>
>>51257786
this
>>
People just like fighting even if it's not with fists. It's the same with fighting with different brands of food. They're 99.99% the same, but they will get angry at you for not liking the same brand.
>>
>>51257707
This.

>>51257818
It's a 3 or 4 year old meme. Like PSUs are a meme. I remember back in the day a 450W PSU was all you needed for life and now retards online make kids spent their parents money on 1200W PSUs because they say that will be safer and give them headroom. Anyway, that's besides the point. If you are buying a high end graphics card, power usage shouldn't be your main concern. Especially when those reviews often cite peak wattage like if that thinks actually happens in real life daily usage.
>>
>>51256996

>just found out

Underage detected. Keep reading and learning here, but stop writting to the big boys until you are old enough.
>>
File: 1446220214398.jpg (62 KB, 800x678) Image search: [Google]
1446220214398.jpg
62 KB, 800x678
>>51256996
Tbh, I don't know. I can only imagine that people, who are paying premium prizes, instead of going with the best performance/price ratio, need to justify themselves for buying their brand product.
>>
>>51256996
>where there's subjective positives and negatives. It's not like there's exclusive games or something, one will just be better than the other by being the top-end piece.

Except there is, it's called Nvidia game works and physx, which run only on Nvidia cards, and games that use these features run worse on AMD cards.
>>
Nvidia is objectively the bad choice. The driver updates will slow down your card. It's a rip off.
>>
OP, find a product with very few brands working on it and there will be this kind of thing. Specially if it's used in entertainment.

Hell there's brand loyalty even for headphones and electric shavers. With GPUs, which can be real expensive, you only have 2 companies to rely on at the moment (though that may soon change, Intel doesn't even count). Most people use them for videogames. Would you not expect this to happen based on that?
>>
>>51256996
AMD loyalists are Nvidia users that do not want another 900 series fiasco. Nvidia loyalists are plain stupid.
>>
>>51260368
false.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZUshOSWQRo
>>
>>51261056
Nvidya fanboy shilling videos don't prove shit. Everyone knows nvidya crippled their kelper cards with shitty firmware, it's no secret.

Delusional fanboys like you and whoever made that video refuse to believe it even when there's evidence all over.
>>
File: best_cpu1.jpg (55 KB, 450x271) Image search: [Google]
best_cpu1.jpg
55 KB, 450x271
>>51261378

Amd is best
>>
How much FPS is it normal to achieve on GPUs like the 970/980Ti/390 today on CS:GO and other games that isn't too graphics heavy? I'm thinking about getting a 4K monitor, but monitors with FPS higher than 60 is a little bit outside my price range. If I'm thinking way ahead, is it worth it to get a cheaper 60Hz monitor or should I wait for cheaper 120/144Hz monitors?
>>
>>51261319

Linus got salty his own son picked an AMD card.
>>
>>51261505
I get 60fps at 1080p on an 630m and a 2760qm. Cs:go and source games are nit graphically intensive at all.
>>
>>51262595
Not*
>>
>>51261319
>Everyone knows nvidya crippled their kelper cards with shitty firmware, it's no secret.
yet you can provide no proof.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.