[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we get more women in tech? It's 2015, for Christ's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13
File: woman-on-computer-.jpg (718 KB, 1200x825) Image search: [Google]
woman-on-computer-.jpg
718 KB, 1200x825
How do we get more women in tech? It's 2015, for Christ's sake.
>>
>>51255045
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sarah-Sharp-Outs-Linux-Kernel
>>
make them non retarded
>>
Irreversible brain damage
>>
Make it so you don't have to do any work and sit around talking nothing important to the other sluts.

Also, make programming a fashion a statement
>>
we don't
>>
Why aren't there more female garbage collectors? Where are all the female construction workers? It's 2015 we need equality here people.
>>
>>51255045
>2015
>not knowing why women dont have to do boring shit paying tech jobs when they can just give up the pussy and get whatever they want
>>
>>51255045

I don't care because I have testicles.
>>
File: TooManyFemaleProgrammers.jpg (28 KB, 383x345) Image search: [Google]
TooManyFemaleProgrammers.jpg
28 KB, 383x345
>>
>>51255045
we wait.

things are pretty much fine, or even better, for girls who want to code now. You just need to wait however long it takes that cohort to get their asses out of school and into the workplace.
>>
We need them now. The state of FOSS and privacy is a clear indication of this deficit.
>>
>>51255045
Good luck convincing someone who can literally stay home and do nothing but cook, clean, and raise kids to get a job as boring as a tech job. If I never had to work again I would retire today.

How to find 'liberated' woman that thinks working is fun so I can stay home?
>>
>>51255045
we dont
>>
more funds for womens studies to raise awareness of the lack of women in tech
>>
>>51255045
At least here in Europe there really are no barriers for women to get into programming or STEM. My current conclusion is simply that women don't want to. I don't care why exactly, but most women I know just seem mildly allergic to working with things or abstract things.
>>
how do we get more men into restaurant hostessing? it's 2015 for christ's sake

how do we get more men into hairdressing? it's 2015 for christ's sake

how do we get more men into selling macrame jewelry on etsy? it's 2015 for christ's sake
>>
I dated a female programmer. She worked for Energizer. She never stopped talking about how much she hated her job. I believe she has now quit her job and works at a horse ranch or some such nonsense.
>>
>>51255045

>It's 2015

I MEAN COME ON
>>
>>51256342
Respectful choice. Programming for pay blows.
>>
Women in science and technology en masse is the last fucking thing you want, trust me.
>>
>>51256515
>le rat faced man
>>
File: come on.png (839 KB, 1200x631) Image search: [Google]
come on.png
839 KB, 1200x631
>>
>>51256301
>Hostessing
>Hostess
Isn't that a woman host? How can a man be a woman host?
>>
>>51257695
Why can't a man be a hostess? Can a woman also not be a host you fucking shitlord?
>>
Women earn 6 college degrees for every 4 degrees that men earn.
A woman with the same credentials as a man is more likely to get hired for a "tech" position for being a woman.
>>
Donate to them on GitHub for doing nothing at all like we're already doing. There will be plenty more doing it soon.
>>
>>51255045
By encouraging them to study in school, rather than cheating by giving up sex to get straight A's. Just because you fulfill a quota doesn't mean you're not fireable. All a tech company has to do is fill your spot with some chink girl from Stanford.
>>
>>51255407
I can understand her leaving if there were legitimately sexist comments and jokes being made, but if she's overreacting, I couldn't care less.
>>51255925
>Also, make programming a fashion a statement
>a fashion a statement
Found the Italian.
>>51256091
Pic related.
>>51256106
>things are pretty much fine, or even better, for girls who want to code now.
>code
Its programming you fucking normie.
>>51256168
>women's studies
Kek'd
>>51257657
>I MEAN, WHITE PEOPLE? COME ON, ITS 2015.
>>51258634
>Women earn 6 college degrees for every 4 degrees that men earn.
Do you have a single source to back that up?
>A woman with the same credentials as a man is more likely to get hired for a "tech" position for being a woman.
Slowly becoming more true day by day. It seems like those whose great grandparents were oppressed by the scary white man are having a slight advantage in jobs, college, and such.
>>
>>51256301
How do we get more men into midwifery? It's 2015 for Christ's sake!
>>
Interest them into being socially incompetent basement dwellers who would trade their childhood and friendships for computing. Srsly, pretty sure most guys that go into tech say "fuck it, I built a gaming PC before - I should probably go into IT"
>>
this
>>
File: 1447009066603.png (58 KB, 393x255) Image search: [Google]
1447009066603.png
58 KB, 393x255
>>
>>51255999
>FEMALE GARBAGE COLLECTORS
Female . finalize ()
>FEMALE CONSTRUCTORS
Public Female (double d)
{
}
>>
>>51261288
Shoo shoo slimey limey
>>
File: 2015-11-09-151311_613x604_scrot.png (243 KB, 613x604) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-09-151311_613x604_scrot.png
243 KB, 613x604
Donate to the EFF

Yes, that's Sarkeesian and Richards in that photo.
>>
The question you want to ask is not how to get them in,
but how to stop the ones that got in from being fired for being incompetent stupid fucks.
Affirmative action may force quotas, but it sure as hell can't enforce tolerance of poor skills and total idiocy.
>>
I don't see any reason to. It's a problem if girls are being discouraged from getting tech jobs or are being discriminated against in hiring, but there is no problem with having more men than women. The important thing is freedom for people to pursue whatever career they choose. We're already mostly there. There is little outright discrimination and girls are encouraged to pursue a tech career. Who gives a shit if the demographics are exactly 1:1?

I know that the WRONG way to go about it is to have girls play with nail polish printers and iPhones. Programming is serious business. It takes hardcore math and logic. If you want great programmers, you first need good mathematicians. Students need to be interested in programming as a PUZZLE, not as a way to play with toys. Tech toys train students to be consumers, not engineers.
>>
File: shiggydraw.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
shiggydraw.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
>>51255045
>2015
>wanting women in tech
>>
>>51263095
Puzzles are toys, you know.
>>
>>51263120
Maybe. I wouldn't say they are.

Point is that they have to like programming and math. Girls won't get into tech because they like nail polish and iPhones. They'll get into tech because they like solving problems.
>>
>>51263120
also to the point
http://incredible.nomeata.de/
>>
>>51255045
Why would women want a job they have always shamed?
>>
>>51263170
Because nerds have changed the world and now normies want in on that?
>>
>>51263095
> It takes hardcore math and logic. If you want great programmers, you first need good mathematicians.

I dunno about the math part of that. A basic understanding of algebra will be enough for the vast majority of mathematics required by a programmer on a day to day basis. The logic part is the more prominent element I find.
>>
>>51263225
Logic is an integral part of mathematics, and vice-versa. Most people learn logic through proofs, which are definitely related to math. If you want to learn logic, math is the best way to do it.

Discrete math and linear algebra are important for almost anyone.

You can get by without much math. But why would you want to? Do you want hackers or code monkeys? Programming with some mathematical ability is way more fun, versatile, and efficient.
>>
>>51263159
By they logic people should be drawn into embedded programming because they like reading datasheets, not because they want to make their robotic toy cars move.
>>
>>51263169
That's damn cool.
>>
>>51263258
> Programming with some mathematical ability is way more fun, versatile, and efficient.

I've never really found much room for code improvement based on mathematical knowledge. The algebra involved is always very simple - as it is required to be. For instance, using calculus would never improve my code - outside of a niche field where that kind of knowledge is required.
>>
>>51259652
I once invited a friend over to my house when I was 8, wanted to show her the game I was playing on the computer and when I realized a way to un-stuck myself from the part I was in, I kept playing for 5 hours straight until she went home. Am I good enough to be in tech?
>>
>>51256515
COME ON!!!
>>
>>51263288
You can use programming skills to solve calculus-based problems.

If you want to do anything with 3D graphics, for example, you need linear algebra. If you never want to do that, you may never need linear algebra. But knowing linear algebra still opens a lot of doors since many students will want to make 3D programs.
>>
>>51263259
Yes. Wanting to make a toy car move will get you a little bit of interest. If you want that child to become a professional, they need real education.

If their high school doesn't offer CS classes, getting them a little bit interested when they're 9 years old doesn't make any difference. The problem is that REAL CS education is shit, not that kids don't have enough toys.
>>
>>51258838
>I could care less.
>>
>>51263511
I hope you're joking
>>
>>51255925
Unironically this
>>
>>51263511
>>51263534
They are both correct.
>>
File: 1443442373299.gif (1 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1443442373299.gif
1 MB, 290x189
>>51255045
>women in tech
as if they could do anything but drain balls
>>
Women belong in the home, as mothers, carers and home makers. They shouldn't be working outside the home except perhaps as receptionists and cute checkout chicks before they are married.

We need to stop telling young girls that they need to get a career to be "empowered". We need to stop the shaming of women who choose to perform their traditional role.
>>
Why should we? Clearly they're not interested otherwise we would've had them already.
>>
>>51264070
this desu senpai
>>
File: 1440677198225-0.jpg (135 KB, 626x582) Image search: [Google]
1440677198225-0.jpg
135 KB, 626x582
>>51255045
>It's 2015
Hello, Justin Trudeau.
>>
>>51255045
give women hormones so they can grow beards. the beard is the source of all power in tech
>>
>>51255407
Well, she's right. People need to grow up and act like professionals.
>>
>>51264524
They literally are not professionals.
>>
File: 1413299045410.jpg (606 KB, 1840x1088) Image search: [Google]
1413299045410.jpg
606 KB, 1840x1088
>>51256159
>How to find 'liberated' woman that thinks working is fun so I can stay home?

Look for brightly coloured hair.
>>
>>51262964
Why do men have to solve all these problems? If women are so smart and capable, why can't they fix them themselves?
>>
>>51255045
We should be eliminating any factors that block women or a group in general from entering in tech. Making being a woman an advantage in a job application isn't ethical and should not be done however.
>>
I'm currently a CE student and either the women here are stacies that don't give a fuck about the subject or they are incapable of programming, I'm really curious to find out the reason for their lack of logic seriously.
>>
>>51265025

women are incapable of logic

they are good at following orders and repetition
>>
Why are tech women in pictures always mixed women?
I'm not complaining though, just wondering
>>
File: edited_FB_IMG_1445705795950.jpg (16 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
edited_FB_IMG_1445705795950.jpg
16 KB, 250x353
>>51265057
But there have been exceptions in the past, history has proven that. What is possibly going wrong with the rest of them?
This also makes me think that the whole SJW-Feminism thing is like an inferior kid's struggle against its clever brother that everyone praises.
>>
>>51264613

Who's that QT second from the left?
>>
>>51265025
Because if you're a boy and got interested in computer, then everything's cool - but if you're a girl, then no, leave it, it's ungirly, it's for boys, it's too hard, you won't like it, yadda yadda yadda.
As a result, the passionate girls are driven away from CS/CE before they get to college. So while your male students may be half those who really want to study and those who are just in because "I herd it plays well", female students will mostly be the latter.

And no, as much as I like dislike the "bring down gender roles bullshit", I think that a large part of the gender disparity boils down to this single difference in upbringing. It's pretty much the same reason we have close to none, for example, male nurses.
>>
>>51265281
If they were truly passionate, they will not be deterred.
>>
>>51265322
On one hand, I agree.
On the other - when you're just a kid, you're often just discovering your passion, and being pat on the back, or discouraged by someone, may make the difference between getting interested in something and saying "nah, maybe not, I'll try something else".
>>
>>51255999
>public female
triggered
>>
>>51265153

> There have been exceptions

This is what drives me nuts about the whole SJW bull shit. Exceptions are not the fucking norm. Its literally forcing a meme.

Also most of the SJWs seem to be trannies who get descriminated against, not because they are women but because they are not women...
>>
>>51265281
Here in greece women are more than encouraged to get a CS/CE degree because it's the only one that will get you a good salary here. Nonetheless, my school has 200 people (with a male:female ratio of approximately 2:1) enrolled each year that only 20-30 of them actually manage to finish it. Most of them are men and only a small percentage of the "graduating" women actually work in this business.
>>
>>51265281
>but if you're a girl, then no, leave it, it's ungirly, it's for boys, it's too hard, you won't like it, yadda yadda yadda.
Most people don't say that out loud. Any teacher who said that would certainly be criticized. The problem is more unspoken bias. It's not that people are explicitly told not to pursue a career. It's more that people say it's a great decision while still clearly thinking it's unusual. It's more that children are raised in ways that influence their values, even if parents tell their children to pursue whatever they want.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.