[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the bigger botnet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: microsoft_google.jpg (30 KB, 635x450) Image search: [Google]
microsoft_google.jpg
30 KB, 635x450
Which is the bigger botnet?
>>
amazon
>>
Currently Microsoft that's why I switched to GNU/Linux full time. I'm using Windows only at work.
>>
>>51244843
>currently windows
I'll have to disagree. You can escape Microsoft's botnet by simply switching your os - don't touch the monopoly subject yet.
But Google is fucking everywhere, regardless your os. Analytics on every page, profiling through web search and web habits, Street view, your browser reporting home, pages requiring a Google account to access them, even our captchas and the cloud meme
>>
Google is on 4chan getting us to solve these stupid picture puzzles to post. You decide.
>>
Google is much harder to escape from
>>
>>51244931
>Analytics on every page,
edit your hosts file and redirect the domain to localhost
>profiling through web search and web habits,
use DuckDuckGo and Firefox or anything else that's not chrom*
>Street view,
Taking lots of photos of public spaces is not particularly botnet
>your browser reporting home,
Don't use Chrome
>pages requiring a Google account to access them
Never encountered this, but I don't use shit like grindr. Which non-Google places require you to sign in with your Google credentials?
>>
4chan
>>
Google is much harder to escape from. Analytics on the fucking Captcha!
>>
Google by far
>Owns YouTube
>Owns Google Search
>Owns Gmail
>Is an advertising company
>4chan uses their captcha
>Refuses to make apps for Windows devices to make sure you keep using Android
>Makes proprietary extensions so you can't upload mp3s to Google Music on Firefox or Edge

What does Microsoft do?
>Has an OS which isn't necessary for anything other than programs that other developers haven't made a linux version of
>Provides their services for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
I'd bet that if Linux had more casual users, they'd port office to Linux, they want you to use their services more than their OS's
Google wants you to use them or nothing
>>
>>51246699
But it helps digitizing books and preserving history
>>
>>51244807
Google objectively because it's everywhere. And Microsoft has data servers in Europe for European customers where they have better privacy ruling.
>>
File: 1420900527357.png (689 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1420900527357.png
689 KB, 2000x2000
>>51244807
Does it matter? They're all connected to the mothership, the biggest botnet of them all.
>>
>>51246927
Still, bigger botnot than m$
>>
>>51244931
so basically all shit you can avoid with a VPN?
>>
File: me13.png (17 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
me13.png
17 KB, 274x242
>>51244807
Botnet isn't real, it's just a lie. Microsoft and Google is your best friend and ally /g/
>>
>>51247654
T-thank you Mr Silverman
>>
>>51247254
>preserving history
>identifying what shitty stock photos are of

pick one
>>
>>51247071
>linux version
Unless made by the dev of the program, ive always encountered tons of bugs and system crashes.
Never seen a linux alternative to proprietary programs that works just as well
>>
>>51248053
That's what I mean.
Steam, for example, works fine in Linux because valve has an official Linux client.
Inkscape works like shit because it's a cheap half-assed copy of Illustrator
>>
>>51244807
Applel
>>
micropenis

at least google's products work well
>>
"botnet" is a general term for the overall 1984-esque paradigm created by companies like MS and google that now makes orwellian fiction look optimistic, they are part of the same botnet, there is only one botnet
>>
Google is bigger but Microsoft is playing catch up.

Wanna escape the botnet?

Switch to a GNU/Linux that respects your freedom, I recommend Fedora but you can use w/e except Ubuntu.

Switch to Firefox and install NoScript, Ublock Origin, HTTPSe, and other privacy plug ins.

Modify your hosts file so it blocks connections coming from known source of tracking. You can use this hosts generator script to get you going.

http://pastebin.com/ZaaE9WCr

And lastly don't use a smart phone cause even if you root it and install Cyanogen CFW the inherently design of phones mean they will call home even if turned off. If you really need one remember to get a tin briefcase to put it in so it doesnt communicate home.
>>
>>51248696

Shit what's wrong with Ubuntu? I use it
>>
>>51248872
It comes with Amazon botnet installed by default.
>>
>>51248889

Is it easier to just remove it or do I need a new distro?
>>
>>51249000
>>51248889
>>51248872
You know what i find ironic about Ubuntu and Google?

With ChromeOS if you install Ubuntu with Chroot, there is no amazon anything at all. Not on Unity not on XFCE or any other DE through crouton.

So using the upmost form of botnet [spoiler]even though chromeOS really isnt that botnetty, no more than the browser is[/spoiler] to install ubuntu, it comes with no extra botnet. Like you have all the botnet you need already.
>>
>>51246927
and here's what it takes to avoid microsoft
>install gentoo
it's not that either one is impossible to escape, it's just a question of which one is harder to escape
>>
>>51249000
It's more about the principle.

I don't want to give support to a distro that has tracking features installed by default.

I promote and support Fedora because they respect my freedoms and contribute to the larger Free Software community.
>>
>>51244814
this.

AWS is fucking massive.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.