[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who here unironically calls GNU/Linux GNU/Linux and not Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: logo_lc.png (55 KB, 382x346) Image search: [Google]
logo_lc.png
55 KB, 382x346
who here unironically calls GNU/Linux GNU/Linux and not Linux irl?

was talking to some guys and called it GNU slash Linux and nobody knew what I was talking about so thinking about switching to becoming a normie and just calling it Linux
thoughts?
>>
>>51239915
You should call it just GNU instead. Who the fuck knows what you're talking about when you say "nt" or "darwin"? Therefore, you should use the name of the OS, not of the kernel.
>>
>>51239940
but linux by definition is an OS
it provides abstraction over the hardware, manages resources and provides an interface for programmers.

>>51239915
no one in the real world calls it gnu/linux or gnu + linux or whatever.
>>
>>51239969
You are allowed to not post if you are more ignorant than a lightbulb cares about flies.
>>
>>51239969
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
haven't been here for a while
is >>51239995 still the bot that posted that shit whenever the word linux was mentioned in a thread ?
>>
Apparently GNU only makes up ~8-13% of a distribution, and Linux ~9%. I think just calling it Linux is fine. If you wanna give credit to the rest you'd have too many slashes.
>>
>>51240069
Actually linux makes up less than 1%.
>>
>GNAA/Loonix
>>
>Gahnoo Slash Linucks
>>
>>51240181
>>51240209
op here, actually doesn't sound that awkward in my language
at least much less so than in English
>>
Me and everybody can understand me because they can hear Linux at the end of GNU/Linux sentence.
>>
>>51239915
Language is a means to communicate. Being understood is the main goal. Artificially complicating language to fit your ideology is literally SJW tier. Don't be an autist and just call it Linux like everybody else does.
>>
one classmate did something like the "excuse me its ganu + linux" response to a professor

he wore an old man's hat so no one was surprised
>>
calling GNU `Linux' is like calling VLC `libav'
>>
>>51239915
I only call it GNU/Linux to differentiate it from non-GNU flavors of Linux like Android, OpenWRT, or other embedded varieties. When there's no risk of confusion I just call it Linux.
>>
>>51242221
call gnu/linux 'gnu' is like calling kde 'qt'
>>
>>51242261
This is actually really good, you just have it backwards.
calling GNU `GNU/Linux' is like calling KDE `KDE/Qt'
ftfy
>>
>>51242283
kde doesn't run without qt
where as gnu can run without linux

both are bad analogy
>>
calling gnu/linux linux is like calling windows xp windows nt
>>
does anyone have the RMS Linus Chair/Legs image
>>
People who enunciate the / in speech are jut autists
>>
File: 2000px-Tux.png (190 KB, 800x928) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.png
190 KB, 800x928
>unironically calling it GNU/Linux

Without Linux nobody would use that shit.
HURD freetard fail and no hardware would work because `muh free hardware` autismo.
BSD hate GPL*
>>
File: 6gMRtQyY.jpg (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
6gMRtQyY.jpg
7 KB, 400x400
GNU/Linux? What the fuck is this shit, I use just Linux.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.