[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Freelance Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.jpg (36 KB, 513x341) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
36 KB, 513x341
Are there any freelance programmer here or do you know personally? Do you struggle with finding job? How vast knowledge do you need to set for this profession? How much corporate experience do you need? Is there a possibility of maintaining steady income, while working 3-4 days a week? Share your knowledge with me /g/.
>>
Bumping for interest.
>>
Just get a real job m8
>>
File: future.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
future.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
Bumping for interest.
>>
Bumping for more interest
>>
Bumping for Bumping for interest.
>>
go work for sony

they need more freelance programmers for uploading games to steam
>>
It's cool in theory. I worked as a freelancer for a while, and in my experience finding clients is the hard thing in freelancing.
When I found clients, it wasn't hard to keep them because I always worked fast and did a good job. At some point I decided bidding on jobs 24/7 and fighting with competition wasn't worth it.
When there's work to be done, freelancing is awesome - easy money if you choose jobs right, you can work anytime and anywhere and you have no boss, but I found it a very unstable source of income. But then again, I didn't want to promote myself constantly and mingle on social networks etc, you might have a different experience.
>>
I'm a self-taught hobbyist. Does that count?

I'm better than 98% of other programmers here. This is the reason I didn't pursue it professionally. I would be utterly miserable.
>>
>>51227013
It's very risky, needs a lot of initiative and you have to be good at multiple things. You can be a great programmer, but still suck at this, if you don't know basic other stuff. It's really difficult at times. Sometimes you may think a problem is pretty simple, but then requires you to research a lot etc. Congratulations: You just worked for 2 USD/hr for a week. You have to swallow a lot of bitter pills like that and if can't take the frustration and permanent stress, you will fail. There's so much more to it than just being good at programming.
>>
>>51229604
True. If you are too specific about the jobs you want to do, you'll have a hard time finding work, so you must be a jack of all trades.

If possible, it might be a good idea to turn your services into a product somehow, so that you can standardize your work and stick to a particular field of your expertise.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.