[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is arch such a pain to install? >how is doing steps manually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: ranzeface.png (480 KB, 406x577) Image search: [Google]
ranzeface.png
480 KB, 406x577
Why is arch such a pain to install?
>how is doing steps manually different than using an install script.
>especially if you just dumbly follow the wiki.
>>
One less bullshit to maintain. It is straightforward as fuck tbh.
>>
>>50828695
gotta be part of the KoolKidKlub
>>
File: archlinux-install02.jpg (21 KB, 577x305) Image search: [Google]
archlinux-install02.jpg
21 KB, 577x305
easy as fuck to install. arch used to have pic related install script. don't know why they get rid of it
>>
>>50828842
There's a tool similar to this, but I don't think it's maintained by the arch devs.
>>
>want to install arch for control
>install it once and go along to learn what is involved
>make your own script appropriate to your situation
>never have to wade through someone else's script or wait for a dev to add a feature
>understand everything that's on your computer
>get experience with Linux
>use the same system on your server, robots, media computer, etc
vs
>want to install arch to look cool
>click through some install script
>don't know everything on your computer
>don't even have a reason to use arch
>go back to using whatever you were using before
>>
>>50828989
>want to install arch for control
How many more fluff packages are there on the minimal Debian install than on an Arch system that actually functions, though?
>>
File: jwjzzmcpfsce.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
jwjzzmcpfsce.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>50828989
You're a living meme tbh fam
>>
File: Fooly_Cooly_02.mkv-0001.jpg (54 KB, 720x539) Image search: [Google]
Fooly_Cooly_02.mkv-0001.jpg
54 KB, 720x539
I tried installing parabola, but I couldn't get package signatures verified. Went back to trisquel but considering Slackware now.
>>
>>50828695
>how is doing steps manually different than using an install script.
Because the only things you have to do can't be scripted. YOU need to decide your partition layout. YOU need to decide what packages you want. YOU need to configure your fucking network. YOU need to decide what your username is and what shell you use.

Not everyone wants a 2 partition root+swap DHCP-assigned GNOME desktop with a user called arch and bash as their shell.
>>
>>50829040
>parabola
>muh free software
>>
>>50829029
How can you say that and make a post like this?
>>50829015
Using Debian is just fine if it's what you need.
>>
>>50828887
Evo/Lution
>>
>>50829015
None, probably. Debian minimal is just as if not more minimal than Arch. I prefer to have newer packages, faster package manager and included devel packages (I'm gonna need them anyway) so Arch for me.
>>
Because I don't want Arch to become a noob distro.

The second they make an install script I'm moving to another distro.
>>
>>50829040
Slackware has the two usual problems: there's no clear policy about what software can be included, and nonfree blobs are included in Linux, the kernel. It also ships with the nonfree image-viewing program xv. Of course, with no firm policy against them, more nonfree programs could get in at any time. There is an unofficial list of nonfree software in Slackware.
>>
>>50829145
Pretty sure they discontinued that, I think it's called Architect now.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.