[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1440375119283.gif (1 MB, 700x598) Image search: [Google]
1440375119283.gif
1 MB, 700x598
I fell for the meme and am getting a Thinkpad X220 with a 1TB Samsung Pro SSD and 16gb RAM. It has Windows 7 on it. Give me reasons as to why I would want to use Linux on it? I don't program, torrent, do graphics work, listen to music (only very rarely), or work with videos. Suggested activities to do with the machine would be worthwhile, too.

>inb4 install Gentoo
>>
I got a Thinkpad X200 with a 128GB Sandisk SSD and 2gb RAM, and I use debian.

I use it exclusively for programming and shitposting on /g/.
You don't need even a fraction of those specs to do what you're asking.
>>
>>50818332
Yes, I know. But what would be some worthwhile things to do with it is what I'm asking.
>>
>>50818360
You're asking me what to do with a linux computer?
How the hell should I know?
What makes you think I know your hobbies and interests?
>>
>>50818398
Just throw some things out there that a beginner could get into. It's not like I would criticize you.
>>
>>50818423
...beginner according to what?
Linux, or are you literally asking me for entry level hobbies to keep you busy on your machine?
>>
>>50818256
>I don't program

fuck off to /v/
>>
>>50818256

If you don't have a 'real life' reason to and the pure curiosity and desire for digital exploration/learning aren't pulling you to try it, then there really is no reason to.

For a certain group of people 'it exists' + 'it is in my area of interest (computers/technology in this case)' + 'it is very easily available' = reason enough to experiment with something.
>>
>>50818256
There is no good reason for you to use Linux.

You can rice it out for fun and that's about it. It's going to wind up being a pain in the ass when you get bored of it.
>>
>>50818256
By starting this thread you've already proven a Linux based distro isn't for you and should stick to Windows. Go meet people and get the fuck off /g/. Seriously.
>>
>>50818256
Do you have an interest in computers that maybe you just haven't had a chance to explore yet?
>>
>make a fake C corp in your state for a minimal amount of money
>make a fake web page on your network hinting that your fake company creates industrial control hardware, or is a weapons contractor, or possesses cutting edge IP.
>secure it with SSL for maximum cred
>create a massive simulation of a corporate network in IMUNES
>leave network maps on unsecured shares
>make fake AD accounts
>make a secure W2k12 SQL server with 10 interfaces on the same subnet
>create vulnerable web facing server
>monitor SPAN interface
>capture the latest in chinese 0days
>laugh your testicles off as they probe your network of fake computers
>eat general tso chicken ironically
>drink 10%+ beer brewed in cold as fuck states
I dont know what you do with your Friday nights.
>>
>>50818891
this OP. Stay the fuck out of our ecosystem.
>>
>>50818256
Why not tell us what you do, instead of what you don't?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.