[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
More Java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: sdflkjd.jpg (7 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
sdflkjd.jpg
7 KB, 208x242
What book do you guys recommend for learning Java given the following:
>I know C/C++/C#
>I have a learning disability
>Hate Headfirst and all things similar
>Have 0 budget
>Want something I can get through fairly quickly that doesn't give examples unless its vital
>Ill be using Eclipse on Lubuntu
>Basically something that reads like a short textbook that assumes I know basic concepts that doesnt have stupid fucking bullshit like headfirst that I could hopefully download.

Ill be bumping with funny images.
>>
File: 1440203728380.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1440203728380.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>
>>50818214
Java is literally C# without namespaces and Try with Resources instead of Using
>>
File: 1440778280047.jpg (59 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
1440778280047.jpg
59 KB, 500x669
>>
>>50818233
Well that's convenient. Thanks.
>>
>doesn't give examples unless it's vital
Guys I want to learn to speak French, but I don't want to say any words.
>>
>>50818276
I didn't say I didn't want it to include any of the language. Its possible to learn French if you already speak a similar language, omitting example conversations that include words you've already been shown. You should be able to know the context of a noun if you've been given a description of the noun.

Ill greentext what I would prefer omitted using English:

Water - the transparent shit you drink to survive

>The above definition should suffice but now here's an example: OP used water to clean his anus before having buttsex.
>>
>>50818441
That's learning words, not learning a language. Real languages can only be learned by living in a community that speaks that language, and computer languages can only be learned by reinforcing language concepts through examples. If you want a reference book or doc to skim, not the best book to grok a language, search google. There's plenty.
>>
>>50818509
I don't mean I'm not going to use the language. I just want to decide what I'm going to make not read useless example programs in a book. More so, I would like to not be taught using primarily those example programs.
You guys have to know what I'm talking about. When someone half-asses the description of a particular concept and just shows code instead. If the concept is isolated and given a clear explanation, I can use it later and skip the Hello World! stuff.
>>
>>50818616
I find it nothing but helpful when someone alternates between explanation and demonstration. They often reinforce eachother, and I find that some things can only be shown. I don't know how you could ever speak a language if you're not comfortable with matching up different parts of the explanation with the code, then just referring to the more succinct code later.
Clearly we have different learning styles. Good luck.
>>
>>50818509
this is how you make arrays in java vs an array is a series of objects, here let me show you 6 examples on what you can use them for
>>
>>50818666
That's why Im having trouble finding a good book for me. Maybe I should just be reading the syntax in wikipedia haha. Also nice satan trips.

>>50818671
Exactly! I know what an array is and where to use them. Just show me how they are done in java. Also nice singles of equal probability
>>
>>50818741
One of the best skills to cultivate is the ability to draw information you need from technological texts through skimming and backtracking. No one reads the entirety of Unix Network Programming linearly in one sitting, but it's a damn good book.
>>
>>50818771
Reading Unix Networking Programming linearly is something I have attempted.
>attempted
Luigi's guide worked pretty well instead.
>>
>>50818233
It's missing a bunch of other stuff that makes C# so much more pleasant to work with as well
Java has
>no C# "structs"
>no delegate or delegate equivalents
>no out or explicit ref parameter types
>>
File: the-trap.jpg (161 KB, 960x587) Image search: [Google]
the-trap.jpg
161 KB, 960x587
>>50818829
Not sure if sarcastic..
>>
>>50818818
I read the essential chapters plus the two chapters I needed after. Probably the hardest book I've actually been through. Study timelines based on the numbers of sections + exercises help a lot.
>>
>>50818829
>>no C# "structs"
It's recommended that you just use public fields if you want an easily accessible pseudo-struct.

>>no delegate or delegate equivalents
That's the point of lambda and method references.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.