[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Next year I've decided to study something technology related. I really enjoy coding and would like to eventually get a software-related job. Should I study a BSc majoring in Computer Science and maths, or Electrical Engineering with a dual major in 'software development'?

The idea of learning about embedded systems and telecommunications really interests me, but I don't know if it would actually be useful.

What do you guys think? What did/are you guys studying?

(I'm 20 btw so not underageb&)
>>
>>50802911
I'm also 20 and my grandmother is paying for me to go to uni for EE.
>>
>>50802911
If you just want to be a code monkey don't bother with a bachelors. You can get all that education at a Community College level without all the debt (and there will be debt unless you are an african american gentlemen or a female.)
>>
>>50802928
I don't want to be a code monkey. Also, in my country university is basically free (no debt).

>>50802925
How do you find it?
>>
>>50802964
I don't start until spring. :)

>>50802928
Yeah, if you only want to go into software, don't feel like you need to uni. Loads of code-monkeys are liberal arts majors. If you want to be a code-monkey then your life is already fucked, though.
>>
>>50803064
I already said that I don't want to be a code monkey :(
>>
>>50803064
>>50802928
There's more to software than simply regurgitating code.
>>
>>50803064
cont.

If you want to be an actual software engineer, then yes you should be going to uni for CS or SE if they actually have it. Don't even worry about double majors. It's not going to pay off, from the year that I've researched uni majors.
>>
>>50803148

You are going to become a code-monkey. We all said the same thing before, as shall our successors.
>>
>>50803064
>>50804724
so what is the difference between a code orangutan and an "actual software engineer"?
>>
>>50804745
lel they have no answer, just butthurt
>>
>>50802911
Do a CS degree and dream big. Don't let these cucks making $20/hour pull you down with their nonsense.

Remember, there are six figure starting salaries in CS. Aim for those. Do personal projects so you can get internships. Do internships so you can graduate with that six fig job. Do well in school, it matters. People say it only matters for your first job but your first job sets a baseline for every job you get after. If you start at 40k then you might never make it to 100k. If you start at 100k then there's no way but up.

Yeah don't let losers bring you down with their pessimism and mediocrity.
>>
Just go into CS like every other faggot on this board. Cant wait for CS to become the next blue collar job of America. Its just rehashed for fat and lazy people so no physical labor is involved. Still 90% of what your employer will have YOU do is menial. All the fun stuff id going to be done out of house.
>>
>>50802911
dont waste your time at uni you fucking cuck
>>
Do EE if you want to learn some skills that are actually valuable
Do CS if you want to learn theoretical skills that no employer cares about, and practical skills that a monkey with Down's can learn. Currently, demand for software developers is so absurdly high that the monkey will have no issue finding a job where it will churn out barely functioning code and make a great salary.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.