[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do companies use IE as their preferred browser?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1444002874774.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1444002874774.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
>started working today
>manager shows me to my work station
>I log in
>open chrome
>Manager: "your won't be able to login to your employee account unless you use IE"
>try to log in anyways
>Manager: "Told ya"
>Open IE, try to navigate company site
>pages load slowly and browser crashes
>Me: "I'm surprised this is your preferred browser"
>Manager: "You shouldn't be. Lots of companies have their employees use IE"
>mfw

Is it true? Do companies torture their employees by making them use IE? If so, why is this allowed?
>>
Worked as a Co-op Mechanic at a dealership one time, sales guy was having trouble logging in, asks me to help.

He was using IE, installed Chrome and It actually fixed his problem somehow.
>>
I work for a small business in Financial Planning, we use Firefox because the software we use online doesn't work with Chrome.

The accountants we're in the office with use IE and complain about it daily.
>>
File: deutschfox.png (77 KB, 844x542) Image search: [Google]
deutschfox.png
77 KB, 844x542
>>50802046
>be me
>working for a german based company
I do not have this problem
>>
>>50802046
Up until recently all the Siemens stuff we use for work only worked in IE. Now it just throws a fit if you don't use it, which is easily remedied with a user agent switcher.
>>
File: Yep.png (56 KB, 614x726) Image search: [Google]
Yep.png
56 KB, 614x726
>tfw workstations at the company I work for have CentOS installed on them
>>
>>50802046
Where I work, IE is where I do my "work." I can however log in with Chrome but I use that for shit posting here. Source: At work right now.
>>
My company has IE and Chrome, and always puts messages in emails about "open this in chrome for compatibility". i swear to god it feels like every one of those things fails to work properly somehow in chrome and everything works in IE. Its like bizzaro world
>>
>>50802046
>Not working at a company that lets you choose which OS to work with
>>
>>50802046
It's an interesting problem actually.

Start with IE being the default browser on windows and IE8 being the version that comes by default for Windows 7.

So instead of having to support a bunch of builds, the IT teams will most likely put on a "modern" version of IE (IE11).

IE will treat any domain you sit behind as "Intranet" and because of this will automatically put the browser into compatibility mode.

Compatibility mode = IE7

Indians will then write their shitty code and "fix" it for IE so that it works for Compatibility mode.

Btw NONE of them will actually know whats going on and because of this will build the site to IE7 standards.

I see this at every major corp I consult for.

This is another reason why you don't outsource and why H1B's are worthless human beings.
>>
>>50802046
Since most companies never change shit for software, they started out using IE, thus all the web-based work tools ignored proper web standards and built shit specifically to work with IE.
The trend has basically continued this way since.
Thankfully, even modern versions of IE have taken to supporting proper web standards, so soon we should see a trend towards these web-based programs working in every browser more or less equally.
>>
>>50802046
Nothing wrong with IE11, tbh it's less botnet then chrome
>>
>b2b marketing
>tfw optimzing for IE and bing
>>
>>50802046
I do IT for an auto dealership, the entire companies official back end employee only web page (financing, mechanic schematics, etc.) requires IE because it's all built on active x

...so we have GPOs in place to force IE as our default browser.

we even go as far as restricting people from installing chrome or firefox so they don't call to complain that such and such isn't working.
>>
>>50802199
Maybe eventually but for a while they'll just force people to use old versions of IE.

Logging into my company account requires me to use IE8 because that's what's on our ancient PCs. I literally cannot login from my home computer.
>>
Fortune 500 engineering company. US air force is on our customer list. Majority of our web apps are configured to work on IE. Why? People hate change.
>>
>Login using IE
>Copy paste cookie into Chrome
>Win

>Write simple wrapper to do this automatically
>>
I can't help it if our Oracle instance was compiled in 2011.
WITH GOD AS MY WITNESS I HAVE TRIED
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.