[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ During an employment speed-dating event this recruiting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Sup /g/

During an employment speed-dating event this recruiting agency saw my resume for three minutes then said that they had a six-month mission that could be well suited for me to do. They said I needed to know Qt and when I said that I didn't know it, they said that it was "just a library" and that I could adapt.

Of course I can always learn on the fly (I'm familiar with WxWidgets for example) but I'm kinda worried that the agency is trying to sell my profile (which they don't know well) for a project that they don't know either.

What does one do in such a situation? I'd like a meeting with the client so as to ask all the good questions, what would one ask in order to be sure that this project won't fail miserably?
>>
Just do it and muddle through. More than half of programmers do it, whether they admit it or not.
>>
>>50793572
Of course its possible to learn a new library or framework on the fly, but Qt is a really advanced one.
It's a huge framework with a lot of quirks.

I think asking for a meeting with the customer is a good idea. You may also express our concerns more explicitly to your agency.
>>
>>50793657
or this
>>
File: engine-1.gif (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
engine-1.gif
2 MB, 720x405
>>50793657
Really tho? Because if I wind up in a team with other Qt devs, they're gonna know immediately
I don't intend to fake it tho, I intend to say "Never used, it, but I've use WxWidgets"

>>50793661
>It's a huge framework with a lot of quirks.
What would be a good point for saying "I'm kinda familiar with it"?
At what point can I claim to "Know Qt"?
I've got a week ahead of me

>asking for a meeting with the customer is a good idea
Any idea of important questions I might want to ask specifically?

>You may also express our concerns more explicitly to your agency
Hopefully that might help also

I'm concerned about this situation because I've had it before where some guy I was working for sold himself and me as experts on a certain topic. The lie was so big that I had to quit the job before the mission started, which is good for me because my ex boss himself turned out to be quite sub-par to say the least and really lost face in front of the client
>>
>>50793823
I'd spend the next week getting as familiar as you can with it, then tell them along with "I've used WxWidgets" etc. Then at least you've made the effort and haven't bullshitted them.
>>
>>50793949
this
>>
>>50793823
You definitely should take a look at Qt's resource managemant. It's in some cases quite different than what you would expect from C++.

A basic understanding of the widget/layout principle would also be good.
If you ganna develop a QML application you don't have to worry about this.

Most of the components however are quite intuitive. And the documentation is really good.

I think >>50793949 would be a good approach.
>>
>>50793949
makes sense

>>50794093
thanks for the pointers, I'll look in those directions
>You definitely should take a look at Qt's resource managemant
Any specific examples off the top of your head?

Is Qt designer worth a shit at all or is it better practice to do VisualStudio + Qt?
>>
>>50794426
E.g. Qt nearly always works with pointers so when i first started out i thought i would have to delete every one of them.
But if you pass e.g. a widget ptr to an layout, the layout takes ownership ower the widget and is responsible for its destruction.
There are more situations like that.

I'm not an expert in Qt however. I'm too still learning to use it for a university project.

I've never used VS+Qt so i can't judge the setup but QtCreator and QtDesigner are pretty good!
>>
File: dott_purple.gif (563 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dott_purple.gif
563 KB, 500x500
>>50794609
Sweet, thank you for your answers

Concerning independent contractor / consultant work, what would be some general do's and don'ts or general advice? I've only worked as an employee in large teams before
>>
>>50795177
>Concerning independent contractor / consultant work, what would be some general do's and don'ts or general advice? I've only worked as an employee in large teams before

For example, is it acceptable to socialize with the client's team members, or is it better to keep distances?
In my old company it was good form to ask people about what they were working on, so as to exchange ideas and potentially bring in new insight. But maybe as a contractor this could be seen as a potential confidentiality breach?
>>
qmud
>>
bump qmud
pnwb dwnq
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.