[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (41 KB, 356x413) Image search: [Google]
image.png
41 KB, 356x413
How do we fix Linux?
>>
>>50772644
what needs fixing?
>>
>>50772644
rm -f /
there you go fixed
>>
File: cringe (21).jpg (445 KB, 1256x700) Image search: [Google]
cringe (21).jpg
445 KB, 1256x700
convince its community to stop being autistic
that's keeping linux stuck in the past
>>
>>50772644

Better wireless driver support. AC support right now is not good at all.

Dump Bash and develop a more modern shell without so many archaic constructs.
>>
>>50772981
that's what manufacturers should do. also zsh exists if you don't like bash.
>>
Linux just works. GNU and other programs that run on Linux are garbage. First we need to replace Xorg.
>>
>>50772644
What needs fixing? More devices run linux than NT or any other kernel
>>
>>50772948
this
>>
>>50772644
>How do we fix Linux?
Make it more user friendly. New users are the future of any OS afterall.

As a Mint user, I absolutely adore the distro for its easy install process (it could be even easier tho) and pre-loaded programs and codecs. It's how all linux distros should work imo. I mean, all users are gonna want to install codecs anyway, so why not include them by default?
I guess some of the more common commands could use a GUI too. Like the swappiness thing, the firewall should have a GUI as well. The Num lock should just turn on automatically at system start, oh and those disks we have too should automount as well.
I know these are minor annoyances but I can't really think of anything wrong with mint at the moment. They did a pretty swell job putting together that distro.
>>
>>50773121
This, but how do we replace xorg?
Do I need to learn how a hypervisor works?
>>
>>50772644
Gahnoo!
>>
How do we make it less windows-like?
>>
>>50772644
Add true async io as descibed in the PyParallel slides.
>>
>>50772948
>convince its community to stop being autistic
Not fault of the kernel

>>50772981
>Better wireless driver support. AC support right now is not good at all.
Not fault of the kernel
>>
>>50774964
what firewall are you talking about?
i garauntee it has a GUI
>>
File: from what.jpg (18 KB, 335x413) Image search: [Google]
from what.jpg
18 KB, 335x413
>>50772644
A minimal logo that doesn't resemble the average Linux user, for a start.

The thing that needs the most fixing is the fucking fanbase.
>>
>>50772948
>>50776542
what's wrong with linux community?
>>
>>50776620
hostility against other OS-es and their users.
>>
>>50776686
so exactly like windows users and ESPECIALLY like mac users?
>>
>>50774964
Can somebody explain to me why MINT is referred to as the easiest build to use? I don't frankly understand it.

I've used all the major DEs briefly and apart from Gnome and Unity, I don't really see the difference. They all function on a similar principle like windows 7. I'm not shit talking cinnamon or anything, just why is it always considered the easiest to understand?
>>
>>50776742
Mainly because cinnamon is the DE that resembles windows the most.
It's not considered "the easiest to use" but "the easiest to switch if you've never used nothing but windows your entire fucking life".
Mint also is ubuntu based and thus has LTS release which is also a plus for someone not comfortable with using linux.
>>
We can't fix what started broken, anon.
>>
>>50772644
systemd + wayland tbh fam
>>
Serious answer.

We need better power management for laptops. TLP is not enough
>>
>>50772644
Well if linux could use all of the shitty windows only programs I need to use for work and school think i would see no need for windows.

Fuck you Allen Bradley!
Fuck you Solidwork!
Fuck you Advanced Illumination!
Fuck Industrial Software!
>>
>>50772644
Ditching that stupid mess of kernel and stuck with illumos.
>>
>>50773101
And they don't do it because the Linux API is a fucking instable mess.
>>
Good graphical environment with proper graphic adapter drivers and all.
>>
>>50772644
>Standardized customizable installation process of multiple versions of the same program.
>Standardized multimedia platform allowing audio and graphic cooperation
>Better drivers or more open source hardware
>>
the kernel doesn't need much fixing. It's a great component of the GNU/Linux operating system
>>
Everyone works on the same shit. Right now there are thousands of distros with 4 fat nerds working on each of them, and they're all unusable pieces of shit.

Get those fat nerds working on the same 3 distros and make them usable. They're not allowed to fork shit if they don't like the title bar color or the default terminal, that doesn't help anyone. If we could focus and combine the power of the freetards Linux could be good, but right now it's just about "muh personal project" instead of actually making something worth a shit.
>>
>>50777124
this,
fix the messy api
>>
>>50776990
This
>>
>>50776990
This. Battery life on laptops running Linux is appalling to say the least, unless you like running amish airplane mode all the time.
>>
File: 7D1Vd3J.png (261 KB, 368x407) Image search: [Google]
7D1Vd3J.png
261 KB, 368x407
>>50776920
>>
Kernel
>ditching the ancient filesystem hierarchy for good
>for desktop usage, merge and improve BFS sheduler
>merge a patch to ditching the swap default configuration (still stuck in 90's)
>create a stable driver API
>ditching the ancient console code and move it to userspace to take advantage of KMS, font rendering, etc.
>improve message priority ("watchdog didn't stop" shit it's because a odd message priority)
>better localization (even NT has his kernel messages translated)

Userspace
>ditching package management. Ideally, using a software distribution model like Android or a way to install user applications like copy a .app folder
>Ditching for all X11 in favor of Wayland compositors
>Ditching GTK for QT or at least start to using only a one toolkit
>improve laptop power management

Community
>Convince Linus to stop being a fucking asshole without social skills (Or get him beaten)
>ditching the RTFM mentality, that made sense in the 70's-80's. Now isn't
>>
>>50772644
The users, notably large users, need to keep an eye open for what is in development. I have often seen problems that should have been caught a lot sooner but when they called me it was too late. Particularly thanks to these really long term distributions, CentOS is 7 years if I am not mistaken. The planning must be changed from the current "keep things running for as long as possible then upgrade everything" (usually tied to hardware renewal cycles) to a more inclusive one where someone keeps an eye on what is being developed and preferably test the changes for regressions.

I personally really like Gentoo in this regard, they are the prime example of stability coupled with rolling releases and testing (plus the ease to apply patches and manage dependencies).

Coding and IT school classes would help a lot in this regard I believe.
>>
>>50772644
by removing systemd for a start.
>>
>>50777423
>muh sysvinit
Why not removing UNIX greybeards?
>>
>>50777437
Because systemd is a disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>>50777338
>ditching package management. Ideally, using a software distribution model like Android or a way to install user applications like copy a .app folder

And ever since when the use of package managers is mandatory? Not only you could yourself compile the code but many actually have binaries compiled for linux already available. The most common example I often see is the complaint that the current Firefox browser is too old and the new one is not available in the repository. However it is trivial to download the binaries straight from Mozilla and use them regardless, even nightly has native binaries.

PS.: Another myth is the need for a superuser to do everything, there is plenty leeway for a user to do things on his own within his account.
>>
>>50772644

by stop hating popular new things that are working
>>
>>50772644
Cut out the bullshit infighting between distro fanboys, which by the nature of linux itself is impossible
>>
>>50777437
http://ewontfix.com/15/

The idea that people knew a thing or two in the '70s is strange to a lot of young programmers.
>>
Rewrite Linux as a microkernel
>>
HDMI drivers could be better (very frequently shit the bed with audio export)
>>
You wait for Hurd
>>
There needs to be one big distro that sets all the standards for using linux, so that normal people don't get confused trying to figure out which one to install, which app store to use, etc
Unfortunately the closest thing we have to that is Ubuntu
>>
File: lennartware.png (8 KB, 313x209) Image search: [Google]
lennartware.png
8 KB, 313x209
For a typical Linux system:

Remove:

udev
D-Bus
ConsoleKit
polkit
Avahi
Akonadi
systemd
ALSA
PulseAudio
JACK
System V's ugly bits and pieces
X.org

Introduce:

Private namespaces
A unified inferface that combines namespaces, the filesystem hierarchy, and the network hierarchy

Deprecate:

Berkeley sockets (replace with something much more sensible and simpler to use, orchestrated with the interface above)
TTY system (throw out the cruft, replace with a simple and robust driver for the inferface above)
cgroups (functionality merges into the inferface above)
Most runlevels
Most signals
>>
>>50777644
This. GNU/Hurd is true GNU.
>>
>>50777662
also, once all that is out of the way:

Stop introducing new fucking APIs
Stop coming up with "new" filesystems like Btrfs every 2 years
>>
>>50777690
Filesystems usually have their own purposes, like F2FS that specializes in flash based storage devices. Btrfs itself is designed to incorporate into the filesystem lots of functionalities many will not need and would fare better with a less complex filesystem.

The main advantage of open source development is exactly the availability of custom solutions for each case instead of one catch all solution.
>>
File: 1434319208815.gif (89 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1434319208815.gif
89 KB, 256x256
>>50777338
>>ditching package management. Ideally, using a software distribution model like Android or a way to install user applications like copy a .app folder
>>
>>50777854
Btrfs incorporates into the filesystem itself a lot of things that should be in userspace (and are indeed, in other operating systems). It's a typical Red Hat Linux-ecosystem project, a half-considered reimplementation of things that exist, and poorly thought out.

The whole Red Hat/Freedesktop/kernel.org environment surrounding Linux seems to accrue the worst of design-by-committee. Open-source is not magic dust.

Also, there's no excuse for a damned filesystem to have been in development for over six years and still not recommended for production.
>>
>>50772644
Stop making forks of forks of forks of forks
>>
>>50777957
Make that over EIGHT years.
>>
>>50776721
Exactly like 4chan users
>>
>>50777957
Well, good thing there are other filesystems then... Which was my point to begin with.
>>
>>50777338
All of this tbh
>>
>>50777957
>a lot of things that should be in userspace
Everyone knows that this convention exists for the sole purpose of being able to blame somebody else for your shit breaking.
>>
>>50773101

zsh is still has a lot of the strange syntax that bash has. Ideally, a new cleaner shell should be employed. One thats free from all the cruft, and the necessary design choices bash devs made to keep backwards compatibility. I think that something similar to Python or Ruby in shell form would be leagues better to script in, and a lot more powerful.
>>
>>50776470

Who care if it's not the kernels fault?
>>
>>50778090
http://fishshell.com
>>
>>50772644

Kill systemd NOW

Also, make Wayland work as well as X does
>>
>>50777912
Honestly it would save a lot of trouble
>>
>>50777338
Mostly this.
I only disagree with >>ditching the RTFM mentality, that made sense in the 70's-80's. Now isn't
RTFM is a necessity when dealing with anything as complex as Linux.
>>
>>50778152
What about the debian alternative to systemd?

https://devuan.org/

Also:
http://without-systemd.org/
>>
>>50777338

>Convince Linus to stop being a fucking asshole without social skills (Or get him beaten)

Hi Sarah
>>
>>50777338
>Kernel
>>ditching the ancient filesystem hierarchy for good
in favor of what?
If you mean the /usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbing thingy, that's userspace and somewhat ancient

>>for desktop usage, merge and improve BFS sheduler
sheduler sheduler?

>>merge a patch to ditching the swap default configuration (still stuck in 90's)
>>create a stable driver API
>>ditching the ancient console code and move it to userspace to take advantage of KMS, font rendering, etc.
think about when you need a console
now think about what moving console code will do for you in these situations

>>improve message priority ("watchdog didn't stop" shit it's because a odd message priority)
>>better localization (even NT has his kernel messages translated)
this is useless
anyone that wants to be proficient with computers has to know english and kernel messages aren't read by computer iliterates

>Userspace
>>ditching package management. Ideally, using a software distribution model like Android or a way to install user applications like copy a .app folder
lolno, package management is godlike
appstores are kind of a package manager, but they do it steam-ish with everything included (or static linking) which has benefits but also downsides (100versions of dx9, yeah that's nice steam)

>>Ditching for all X11 in favor of Wayland compositors
or rather "get wayland stable and usable"

>>Ditching GTK for QT or at least start to using only a one toolkit
eh low priority

>>improve laptop power management
there is still more to do in kernel for this
userspace can be set up pretty well (I get more battery with linux than any other setup I had)

>Community
>>Convince Linus to stop being a fucking asshole without social skills (Or get him beaten)
Try working with hundreds of idiots, that aren't filtered for you
being an "asshole" is just a way to be direct and not be misunderstood

>>ditching the RTFM mentality, that made sense in the 70's-80's. Now isn't
turn it down to 80%, not ditch it
>>
>>50778236
>Hi Sarah
I think most people would rather keep the drama out of Linux.If that means Linus has to tone it down, so be it. I mean, look around, Google/Android, Microsoft, Apple, hell even the small time organizations these days are being puppeted by special interest groups.These groups won't be going anywhere soon, they'll have to shoot themselves in the foot to be silenced.The best course of action is to ignore the trouble makers.Giving them attention of any kind empowers them and they know it. Keep personal politics out of computing.
>>
>>50778077
What are you on about?

>>50778227
systemd is not something which requires an alternative.

>>50778148
Tom Duff already wrote a replacement for the Bourne shell named rc. It's familiar to anyone who knows C (rather than Algol).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rc#Examples

I don't know why people keep coming up with variations on the Bourne shell claiming to fix all the ills of Bash when we already have something that fits cleanly into the Unix-like environment. Also, things like colours are not the domain of the shell but of the terminal.

Terminal emulators need to go as well. You only have use for one straightforward software tty, and a userspace GUI rendering of the text on it. There is no good reason for xterm to be over 64,000 lines of code so it can pretend to be a range of 1970s teletype printers. There is also no reason for there to be a virtual TTY API/subsystem/layer/whatever-they-call-it-nowadays in Linux; just open /dev/ttyN and write your ordinary unremarkable bytes to it.

>>50778367
>in favor of what?
I think he means adopt something like /Programs, /Libraries, etc., which I don't think is a good idea.

I'd like to see /usr go back to its original meaning (user directories) and I'd like to see /lib go back to its original meaning (roughly that of /etc and /usr/share combined) but it will never happen because of glibc's massive idiotic push for dynamic linking.
>>
>>50778513
I think people getting butthurt and leaving keeps the drama out.
Being honest isn't how you keep people from getting butthurt.
>>
>>50778523
I just looked at fish and it seems midway between the Bourne shell and Lua, so I retract a little bit.
>>
>>50778534
>I think people getting butthurt and leaving keeps the drama out.
In a way, I see your point. However, there seems to be a focused effort by certain media groups to bring these petty gripes into the spotlight.When a thousand neckbeards hit the comments section of a news article with "misogynist" responses, it only proves the point to outsiders. A better response to this sort of journalism would be calling the writer out for publishing click-bait trash and leave it at that.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-12-15-19-14.png (112 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-12-15-19-14.png
112 KB, 1080x1920
>>50776470
this guy knows his shit
>>50778136
this guy doesn't
>>
>>50778727
I think that if they do end up pressuring people into being inclusive and turn contribution to Linux into a right rather than a privilege, the integrity of the entire project will suffer, coordination, communication, actual useful commits, everything. I don't think being polite and avoiding harming peoples feelings has any place in a purely academic effort.
>>
>>50772644
Make it a microkernel.

inb4 muh algorithms
>>
>>50778901
You should drop the trip so that when I see you being sensible, my mind doesn't nevertheless drip with bile.
>>
>>50777338
>>better localization (even NT has his kernel messages translated)
Tad to late but this is one fucking retarded of an idea and I'm not an english speaker.
Localisation of everything but the most basic user interface is what makes fixing bonked windows such pain in the ass.
>>
>>50778870

>Being this stupid

Overall it doesn't matter whether or not it's a "Kernel" issue. It's an issue that affects Linux and it's usability as a whole. Wireless has become ubiquitous these days, and AC brings very tangible speed benefits to wireless. Just one more reason I run Linux as a server OS or in VM and not on my main machine.
>>
>>50779074
I imagine it would be straightforward if strings were ONLY utf-8 (Linux is practically there by now) and translation happened through a single tr(fmt) function inside programs themselves, which takes a format string, looks through a hash table, and returns that format string translated as appropriate for the target language. Corner case language can just deal with getting the equivalent of '"%d bad"'.
>>
>>50778523
>>50778605
http://fishshell.com/docs/current/design.html

Check this out if you haven't as it's the design goals of fish while even if you don't agree with them it's interesting and you can totally see where they're coming from.
>>
>>50772644

- download Linux source code
- read Linux source code
- find bugs
- send bug fixes to Linus, "Your problem is right here!"

It's pretty fucking simple, really.

/thread
>>
Make a DE that isn't complete shit.
>>
>>50779762
>Configurability is the root of all evil
This is correct, yet they've given it a fucking web interface for configuration.
>>
Prediction: in a few years Linux is going to split into Red Hat-GNOME and Android OSes, with maybe a straggler or two continuing to backport security fixes to the last version of Debian before the singularity consumed all non-RH distros.
>>
>>50781244
And some future post on Lennart's blog about "the toxic behavior of Linus and other maintainers towards minority contributors" will be the first shot. It will be used as an excuse by Red Hat to fork the kernel. Red Hat's crap like kdbus will be immediately shoved in.
>>
>>50772644
You don't. Use minix instead.
>>
It's don't
>>
I notice the multitasking is very slow during disk operations on my tower PC. Cannot say I have noticed on my laptop which is a higher spec.
>>
>>50772644
Only problem is that there isn't enough people using it for more software and hardware compatibilities
>>
>>50772644
Getting rid of its cancerous userbase could be a good start.
>>
>>50782980
ok, how would you get rid of someone like yourself?
>>
We ban the entire Microsoft IP range from posting to 4chan.

REPORT PAID SHILLS
DO NOT REPLY TO PAID SHILLS
EMAIL AN HIRO AND SUGGEST WE BAN THE ENTIRE MICROSOFT-OWNED IP RANGE

STOP MICROSOFT FROM POSTING THEIR FUD AND VIRAL MARKETING ON /g/, THIS SHIT HAS GONE ON LONG ENOUGH. IT ENDS NOW.
>>
>>50783007
WHAT ABOUT PAID APPLE SHILLS?? THEY MUST BE ERADICATED FROM /g/ ONCE AND FOR ALL
>>
>>50783007
>>50783122
ALSO REMOVE NOOBUNTUS AND ANDROIDSHITTERS, THEY DON'T BELONG HERE.
>>
>>50772866
It needs corporate support, even if it means Ubuntu becomes proprietary
>>
>>50783007
>>50783122
>>50783185
FUCK IT, REMOVE ALL NON-CONTRIBUTORS TO THE LINUX KERNEL
>>
Linux dont need to be fixed, maybe yours and you need some help from an expert
>>
>>50783007
Would be pretty fun convincing Hiro to do this and then watching you linuxtards getting assblasted when nothing actually changes.
>>
>>50783226
BAN ALL POSTS ORIGINATING FROM GUI BROWSERS

FUCKING PROBLEM SOLVED; B'BYE PLEBS
>>
>>50779113
Linux is the kernel. U fuck
>>
>>50781244
Prediction: We will make the socialist revolution and Debian will be the only needed operating system with all the apps from all enterprises (Micro$oft, Adobe, Apple) running, because everything will be ported to Linux by the works controlling the enterprises.
>>
File: 1440283879289[1].jpg (57 KB, 718x717) Image search: [Google]
1440283879289[1].jpg
57 KB, 718x717
>>50777986
>>
>>50783271
Linux is the OS.
Technically Linux is a kernel, but we use that name for the entire OS too.
>>
What you idiots seem to fail to understand is that what this boils down to is that Linux well... Isn't that usable unless you *already know what you're doing*.

If you want more money for Linux and want greater adoption of Linux, this resistance to features that help people who don't understand how Linux or even computers work is what kills Linux.

Because of MUH SECRET CLUB and MUH COMMAND LINES you'll never achieve shit, leaving your 1%-personal-adoption-rate-OS stuck with the 1% willing to use the damn thing.

Half the people in this thread are fine, a lot of their suggestions are good- the other half are what's wrong with Linux.
>>
>>50783214
It can't
Most of the system in under the GPL license, which forbids you to relicense under any other license.
They would a need a replacement for pretty much anything from the kernel to the coreutils, mesa, xorg, even freaking systemd.
it won't be noobuntu anymore.
>>
>>50776470
Wireless drivers are part of the kernel, bro.
>>
Most of the posts in this thread are so stupid, I wonder whether this whole thread is just bait.
>>
>>50776721
yes but they have users
>>
>>50777338
>ditching package management
>using a software distribution model like Android

you are literally retarded
>>
>>50783214
>It needs corporate support
First of all...Linux is a fucking kernel not an operating system.
Secondly: Apple is what happens when what you suggest comes to reality.
We already have one shit-tier company doing what you want to do, and look how awful it is.

Fuck anyone who can't figure out how to use Linux. I like Linux being the way it is - it keeps the dumbest shitheads from influencing the distros I use.
The internet used to be so much nicer before every little shit with less than half a brain had a computer. Oh fuck I miss those days.
>>
>>50783443
Many distros are for user and any user can use without command line, I guess you misunderstood the problem of Linux in Desktop, which is the applications environment, Adobe dont make a Photoshop for Linux, and no one use Libreoffice in a enterprise.
>>
>>50772644
Kill DBus, have sane IPC. Kill Polkit.
>>
>>50777635
HDMI is proprietary botnet garbage
use DVI or DisplayPort
>>
>>50773121
This. XOrg has some great APIs, but way too many window properties, and extension hacks. Wayland also blows pretty hard. If you've tried the Wayland back end for GTK+, you'll see what I mean. KWin Wayland will understand X window position hints, so that might be our greatest hope.
>>
>>50783649
>it keeps the dumbest shitheads from influencing the distros I use.
Tell that to everyone now having to deal with systemd.
>>
>>50783666
sick satanic trips
>>
>>50774964
Codecs should be installed, IMO. Only remove them if patents become an issue, or automatically download and compile (required for some codecs, cannot be distributed in binary form, US patent law) after installation. It's a problem specific to US patent law, and many distros aren't even managed by an organization with legal presence in the US.
>>
>catv shitters
>anti systemd shitters
>red hat conspiracy theory shitters
>people suggesting wireless drivers aren't part of the kernel
this thread is full of retards
>>
>>50776721
You have a point. But them having users means they can get away with it more. Our community is not that bad, and is really friendly to newcomers, but only newcomers. /g/ isn't really an accurate representation of the community as a whole.
>>
>>50776920
>systemd
We said fix. Systemd doesn't really improve anything if the distro didn't use SysVinit before. But sysvinit has to go.
>>
>>50777124
BSD has such a stable API that even BSDs with decades of differences in the codebase can pluck parts out of one another. Linus, what's going on?
>>
File: mandriva_2010_kde.png (552 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
mandriva_2010_kde.png
552 KB, 1280x800
>>50774964

Mint and Ubuntu are to this generation of Linux users what Mandrake/Mandriva was to mine. Easy to get up and running, "it just works" as much as was possible back then, codecs included (mp3 support was NEVER dropped in the default install, they always just worked).
>>
>>50777158
I feel like making the constant Ubuntu/Debian forks should just contribute to Debian, or make a worthwhile change in their distro. It should be like BSD, only fork if you are willing to maintain. Manjaro does a good job at doing this, and even Antergos fills a niche. But Wattos? (Insert obscure distro here) No. It might be easier if there were "Spins" of, say, Debian that used the package base, but were different in many ways. These pseudo distros could have their changes and configs sent to the main distro if they are good.
>>
>>50783776
sysvinit honestly isn't even that bad. It's easy to use and does everything it needs to.
>>
Remove every trace of GNU, then desktop Linux will succed as with server/mobile/embedded areas.
>>
>>50777338
Package management is great, but hard to get right. Ideally, we could have a package that basically asks for a .h file to be linked with, and the distro provides it, with the optimum version requested.
>>
>>50777437
Not using Systems is not necessarily using the clusterfuck that is SysVinit. There are pretty awesome init systems that solved all the problems of systems, long before it. IE: Upstart, runit, OpenRC. Busybox also has a nice init, and daemontools.
>>
>>50777490
>leeway for user
This. File descriptors could solve this, like setuid bit on a root owned, globally executable shutdown file, rather than (go fuck yourself in the ass)kit.
>>
>>50778090
You might like FiSH. I'm used to bash, so whatever.
>>
>>50778152
Runit looks cool. I've been screwing around with it on Arch. Look forward to not needing service files.
>>
>>50783893
>pretty awesome init systems that solved all the problems
>Upstart
Lol.
This ``I'm not pro-systemd, I'm just anti-sysvinit'' that systemd shills have been trying to pull off recently would be a lot more convincing if they actually knew anything about what sysvinit fucking does.
>>
>>50778152
Or maybe X without a dozen extensions, rewritten, and native frame buffer and vsync support. Less IPC needed to talk to X. X even implements its own IPC mechanism, and shitty rendering API and driver model. But the protocol has a ton of good parts.
>>
>>50783830
>Manjaro
>good maintainers
These people literally told their users to reset their system clocks in order to access the wiki since they forgot to update their ssl certificate.
>>
>>50781405
>can't even run X anymore
L4 systems like genode are a bit more promising.
>>
>>50783833
I found it hard to configure, and hard to manage services. But its not really that bad. I think systemd is better, but people act like it is "the future" like Wayland, but really its just an Upstart clone that uses more complex service files, binary logging, and 300 (yes, 300) DBus APIs. And DBus is awkward and awful.
>>
>>50784030
A lot of SysVinit init scripts had service management, but it wasn't super reliable.
>>
>>50783692
use gentoo, it doesn't use systemdicks by default.
>>
>>50784106
One event. I'll forgive them for not making vaporware, and maintaining their own installer and repositories.
>>
>>50772644
Hand more control over to Poettering
>>
>>50784189
All they do is hold back arch updates like a month. They aren't anything super special.
>>
Better UI scaling that is universal (GTK+ 2 & 3, At 4 & 5, EFL, and X rendering), XDPi comes kind of close. That's all I want. Also, less setuid binaries downloaded from a package manager that has to be run as root.
>>
>>50784205
But it's better than all the vaporware distros around. And it is actually usable. They also maintain a lot of OpenRC scripts. And (decent, at least the KDE ones) themes, and an installer (which is okay). Not bad.
>>
>>50784168
Thanks, but I actually switched to FreeBSD (from Debian) instead.
>>
>>50772644
What needs fixing?
Documentation. There needs to be a start to finish logical path guide written for every distro by those who develop it, with a how to guide for the mainstream devices such as wireless driver(both Ethernet and Bluetooth for example). Fully hatch things out and make videos while doing it. Take feedback from users regularly and stream it. Request a twitch directory for IT and we could stream Dev sessions. I'd subscribe to a channel there and chat with users. It's time to evolve and embrace that we can create a platform for anything from our own free platform. That's what we are all about; I love the ingenuity of the community, not its close mindedness. If we embraced those who wanted to put a 'Linux on the moon' then we would have user friendly Linux on more platforms and better support today.
>>
>>50772644
Make a distro to end all distros. It's nice having a few of them, but the current amount is just terrible. One can choose, yeah, but the support is divided everywhere.

That or just make a perfect passthrough of hardware to emulate Windows and OSX perfectly, I would switch in a heartbeat.
>>
>>50784306
How many distinct distros do you think there are that have more than ~4 users? There's only like half a dozen.
>>
Blow it up
>>
>>50783726
Yeah I bet you write some quality software.
>>
>>50772644
Drivers: write more.
Systemd: get rid of.
/thread
>>
>>50772644
fix it yourself, if its so open source
>>
>>50783893
>upstart
A fucking wrapper on sysvinit
>OpenRC
A fucking wrapper on sysvinit
>busybox
Do you mown with tweezers?
>runit
It's nice, but sadly, hasn't sufficent traction.
>>
>>50783648
>source: me
>>
>>50778523
I'm not taking about the shell. I'm talking about the code who emulates a VT. It's old, dusty, unmaintained who makes difficult things like multiseat.
Or simply ditch the fucking old terminal logic. That's doesn't mean that we will force a mandatory GUI, but more a thing like Plan9 does with his console.
>>
>>50778367
In favor of something that permits easy install or uninstall of applications like GoboLinux does.
>that's userspace
And also is a thing from kernel.
>>
>>50785272
>*who makes things like multiseat more difficult
My fault.
>>
ITT: People who will never do anything about it.
>>
>>50783271

>Being this autistic

Stop being pedantic you stupid fuck
>>
It needs to destroy the gaming monopoly that Windows has. Mantle or whatever needs to replace DX for the stranglehold to finally be broken. Also, it needs backwards compatibility with windows apps. I don't know what the state of WINE is these days, but it probably needs to improve in ease-of-use and performance.

These two things will finally lead to the fabled "year of the linux desktop" and subsequent destruction of Windows OS monopolization. The increased user adoption rate and app support will make Linux "practical" for the common man, in effect "fixing it" in that regard.
>>
Probably gonna get shitted on for this, but I've spent the past 2 weeks looking for a good system to use primarily for design; I need programs good for stage plots, and there's barely anything helpful that I've found to help me find a program to use/distro geared for designers. If any of you guys knows where I can start, that would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>50772644
kill poettering
ban gnu software
deblob linux
fund suckless
end debian/gnome womyn outreach programs
debloat linux
merge redundant distros
replace everything with openbsd
>>
>>50772940
rm rf a * works also
>>
>>50774964
>Make it more user friendly.
No. Stop using a non user friendly OS and then complaining it's user friendly.
>>
>>50777338
>ditching the RTFM mentality
uhhh
>>
>>50777338
Swap is useful.
>Ditch package management
Nigger package managers are amazing and easy enough for normies to use.
X11 will be replaced once wayland is actually stable enough.
A single toolkit will just mean that another standard exists. Which means you will have GTK, Qt and the other one.
>>
>>50778183
What's the trouble of "apt-get install program" or "dnf install program"? How is that not easier than what Windows has going?

>>50777338
*buntu and Fedora both have a software center.
>>
>>50776470
literally

LITERALLY

this
>>
>>50776620
>Use Windows
>LAAHMAO U STILL USE WINDOWS ENJOY UR BOTNET

>Use Ubuntu
>LOL FUCKING N00BUNTU GO BACK TO WINDOWS FAGGOT

>Use Arch
>Something breaks (very common)
>Go to Arch forum for help
>REED THE WIKI U FAGGOT EVERY SINGLE WORD AND EVERY OUTGOING LINK
>Read wiki, it's outdated or doesn't have solution
>USE SERCH U DUMB SHIT
>Nothing on search or solution doesn't work
>FIX IT URSELF BY RECODING EVERYTHING OR GO BACK TO N00BUNTU LOL LOOK AT THIS GUY
>>
>>50772644
Make this more complete.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL

Linux is starting to get some decent video editors. Already has a good photoshop rival and lightroom rival.

Gaming is really the only reason to not use it.
>>
>>50772644
Someone throws a lot of money of porting absolutely everything to a consistent UI built on Wayland and Qt5. Someone throws a lot of money making all of those apps directly interface with JACK. Someone throws a lot of money writing native device drivers for JACK.

In other words, a lot of money to un-fragment the ecosystem with the best solutions available.
>>
>>50787967
valid points, honestly.
>>
>>50787901
>What's the trouble of "apt-get install program" or "dnf install program"?
This guy never had to install stupid program A depending on libfoo_v1.1 and stupid program B depending on libfoo_v2.4.
>ayylmao
>>
>>50783649
>Fuck anyone who can't figure out how to use Linux. I like Linux being the way it is - it keeps the dumbest shitheads from influencing the distros I use.
Fair enough. Just don't complain when Linux stays at 1% marketshare forever :^)
>b-but muh servers!
>>
>>50776620
The Linux community seriously believes that GUI's are bloat and that EVERYONE should use the CLI for EVERYTHING.
Also, zealotry and almost religious fanaticism (especially if we are talking about the FSF).
>>
>>50783649
this
>>
>>50783692
systemd is pretty nice tbh
>>
>>50775061
>!Gahnoo
>>
Fix the archaic filesystem (like GoboLinux). It's too much of a pain in the ass to have to look in 3 or 4 different locations where something could reside since all of the packages in the repo install their binaries and configs in different locations
>>
>>50776872
false, xfce with whisker menu is the most like wangblows
>>
>>50772644
the only thing im really grinding my gears over right now is how adobe isnt supported on linux. i want to be able to photoshop for fucks sake.
>>
>>50790151
And that's somehow the kernel's fault?
>>
>>50790150
you can use a clone of whiskermenu in cinnamon
>>
>>50790165
no, its adobes fault.
>>
Fork systemD
>>
>>50790240
WRONG

It's the consumer's fault, which is the result of tech illiteracy and poor public education
>>
>>50790151
CS6 portable edition works ok using playonlinux if you know how.

Its better to run it in a Windows VM anyway. With VGA passthrough in qemu/kvm you get 90% of native GPU performance in a VM, even for games.
>>
File: 1438219947211.jpg (48 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1438219947211.jpg
48 KB, 500x372
>>50787967
>not using Ubuntu
>>
By throwing it away and replace it by the free parts of osx with xfce. Sadly nobody is doing it.
>>
- Remove the babby neckbeards that haven't contributed a single line of code in their lives or admin any sizeable server and yet consider themselves experts (Arch users mostly)
- Remove Lennart
- Let based Canonical take over

There, I fixed it.
>>
>>50772644
Install Plan 9.
Or OpenBSD.
>>
>>50778090
a mix of fish (fishshell.org and rc (the late original Unix and Plan 9 shell).
Ultimate beatiful simple scripting with interactive power usage.
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.