[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK to block Popcorn Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: popcorn-time-logo[1].png (292 KB, 980x1004) Image search: [Google]
popcorn-time-logo[1].png
292 KB, 980x1004
>allowing big media companies to censor the internet to protect their profits

https://torrentfreak.com/court-orders-uk-isps-to-block-popcorn-time-150428/

>The order, obtained today by Hollywood’s Motion Picture Association, targets five popular Popcorn Time forks: popcorntime.io, flixtor.me, popcorn-time.se, and isoplex.isohunt.to.

>In his order Judge Birss notes that the Popcorm Time software has little to no legal use. Instead, he mentions that it’s mostly used to download and stream pirated movies and TV-shows.

>“It is manifest that the Popcorn Time application is used in order to watch pirated content on the internet and indeed it is also manifest that that is its purpose. No-one really uses Popcorn Time in order to watch lawfully available content,” Judge Birss writes.

>“The point of Popcorn Time is to infringe copyright. The Popcorn Time application has no legitimate purpose,” he adds.
>>
Hopefully same doesn't come to anywhere else, tho this may be cited in future cases.
>>
>UK
There's your problem.
But really, anyone who lives in the UK I feel pretty bad.
>>
>UK
gee, what a shock

What next, North Korea censoring stuff?
>>
most of the (only 5) isps only use a dns block so switching to google dns or opendns resolves the issue
>>
i'm fine with taking down anything that makes piracy so simple that you grandma could do it.

when piracy becomes this easy the real damage begins
>>
File: 1429893974806.jpg (77 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
1429893974806.jpg
77 KB, 960x639
>>47740093
>real damage

With all the people they would be suing they would not have any problems.
>>
> Use Tor
> Use VPN
> Use Proxychain

this is the equivelent of them putting a big sign that says "pls no stele stele :( kthx" on their front lawn.
>>
File: 11678321.jpg (14 KB, 350x368) Image search: [Google]
11678321.jpg
14 KB, 350x368
>UK

Nobody cares
>>
>>47739893
All the reasons cited are actually logic/legit
Anyone using popcorn is aware that it IS illegal, and everybody knows that, no court needed
>>
>>47740471
Let's ban computers because hacking is now illegal. Everyone knows computers are the tools used to hack.
>>
just another day in the united cuckiphate
>>
>has little to no legal use
>that it’s mostly
>No-one really uses
What's with bongs using so many weasle words? Its painful to read
>>
>>47739893

>popcorntime

Is there a fork that isn't infested with malware?
>>
>>47740574
legal texts are full of things which are written in a way that gets a point across without actually stating anything with certainty
>>
>>47740593
There's something similar enough on github, some anon posted but can't remember it right now.
>>
why does this matter, its in the UK. Its expected to happen over there.
>>
popcorn time is basically just a bittorrent client that downloads pieces in order rather than randomly, right?

are there other bittorrent clients that do the same?
>>
>>47740826
Yes
Most of them do
Even mobile ones
>>
>>47739893
>uk
bringin da keks everytime
>>
>he mentions that it’s mostly used to download and stream pirated movies and TV-shows.

Yes, that's exactly what Popcorn Time is doing and it's illegal. Why is this disputed?
>>
>>47740505
It's not some bias.
Popcorn Time's one and only purpose is to illegally pirate movies and tv shows but
muh muh pirazi
>>
>Actually illegal stuff on the internet like CP or drug trading
>Let's chase down people that just want to watch and share movies!

UK government at his finest.
>>
>>47739893

It doesn't matter. Until they they turn the (big I) Internet into T.V. 2.0 where you can only connect to a per-approved set of hosts (what basically amount to channels), there will always be an alternative source of free content. So long as you can connect to your peers (fellow users) individual site blocking is futile.

All they're doing is building a better mousetrap.
>>
>>47740633
The popcorntime.io fork is the one the first devs led to when quitting, but the popcorn-time.eu/.se are building a completely p2p version, without even a need for API calls to eztv or trackers.

And the new iso-hunt guys are very active, the oldpiratebay.org website, isoplex.isohunt.to...

The git repos are publicly available if you want to check for yourself.
>>
>>47740826
The only clients I know that don't have this feature are transmission and deluge.

But the point of popcorn time is more about presenting all the movies, always having subtitles in any languages and having a built in player.

The only problem is seeding, during the time watching the movie the average connection will have seeded ~0.4% and mostly at peek times, this might end up killing the torrents...
>>
Also the VPN partnership they offer are always a bit shady, I would really prefer if there was no money involved.
>>
File: 1429781339761.png (31 KB, 278x231) Image search: [Google]
1429781339761.png
31 KB, 278x231
>>47739893
>>Britfag
>>REKT as fuck
...and nothing of value was lost
>>
File: 1428984727291.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1428984727291.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>47739893
>BRITCUCKS
>>
okay correct me if im wrong, isnt it impossible to block popcorntime? It runs on torrent protocol and it can run on any port. That means unless the ISP blocks every port, they cannot stop this.

Now there exist something called packet level inspection too, it searches packets for stuff that is banned. From what i know packet level inspection is very resource consuming. Will the ISP be even able to process billions of packets coming from millions of hosts every second?

And as far as torrent trackers go, mew trackers could pop up every 0.5 seconds
>>
>>47741271
>this might end up killing the torrents...
this
popcorn time is secretly killing torrent P2P, not too many people have realize that. Its good that people who have no interest in sustaining the network (by not seeding and just consuming) are being left out by UK.
>>
>>47743641
>Secretly killing P2P
It's only killing the godawful yiffy encodes, patricians who download properly encoded rips won't be affected
>>
UK just needs to say the software is Argentinian and people will stop using it, simple as that.
>>
>>47739893
I'm curious. Ppirates will say pirating isn't stealing or pirating isn't harming the industry but how isn't it? You're not paying for it. It's as simple as that. I mean, I also pirate but I'm also aware I'm hurting people by doing so and I've been reducing the amount of shit I've been torrenting. I'm hoping to completely move away from pirating soon
>>
>>47739893
>uk
I dare say they are worse than china
>>
>>47744157
>the North Korea of the free world

There...
>>
First the UK had more CCTV monitoring than any other nation

Now they have overreaching government censorship of the internet

The UK is always on the bleeding edge of making 1984 a reality
>>
>>47744137
Its simple

Piracy sure as hell hasn't stopped Furious 7
Piracy is huge but box offices are pulling in record amounts
Spotify is pulling in enourmous amounts of cash. Steam is pulling in enourmous amounts of cash.

The problem isn't piracy, its that the current system of waiting months on end to get a movie show in your own home is stupid, so people are using a way that gets them what they want.
>>
File: 1427605411034.jpg (52 KB, 560x575) Image search: [Google]
1427605411034.jpg
52 KB, 560x575
we should ban sunflower seeds becuase there's no other reason for them than to plant sunflowers and take away business from florists.

ban the use of cameras because people shouldn't take photos of stuff they didn't make. it's against my distribution right.
>>
>>47744137
I don't know about other people, but my laptop (which I watch movies on) does not have a blu-ray drive, so I cannot buy a physical copy and any digital copy I would buy online would definitely have DRM out the ass, and not work on Linux.
>>
>>47739893
is it possible to block popcorn time? Or does one just block p2p altogether.
>>
>>47746231
They are blocking the websites, it says in the title of the article.
>>
>>47746242
blocking websites, kek.
>>
>>47739921
Bong here
I would move but nowhere else is really much of an improvement

Also they tried b&ing torrents here now we just use for
Fuckdapolis
>>
>>47746257
Yes, that is their best solution.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.