[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people obsess over getting faster hardware rather tha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: ultimate power.webm (3 MB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
ultimate power.webm
3 MB, 720x406
Why do people obsess over getting faster hardware rather than refining software to do crazy shit like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w54uNAuqE1Y

Do you spend much time on optimization? Do you know much about optimization? Can we talk about it? It interests me. Have you done anything like in the video, even if it was small? Some cool workaround you found on your own?
>>
>optimizing software
Ahahhahaha just add more cores and ram
Signed, Android development team
>>
The problem is that "optimization" is a thing of the past, especially for video games and the like. The only solution is to buy faster and faster hardware.
>>
>>47661636
>The problem is that "optimization" is a thing of the past
Why? Because compilers are better at optimization than humans now?
>>
>>47661680
Shut up, you silly goy. We must buy MOAR hardware and spend less time on useless things like optimizations.
>>
>>47661680
No, devs just became really fucking lazy.
>>
>>47661680

>Implying compilers can fix shitty coding patterns
>>
>>47661609
>not posting 8088mph
you'll cowards don't even 256 color mode on a CGA
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHXx3orN35Y
>>
>>47661801
i was going to post it but i just found this one earlier today

i'm actually finding the stuff the demoscene produces to be really, really fucking awesome. makes me wonder what these guys do for a living. do they all work for intel or some shit?
>>
.NET dev here... I feel like part of the "moar coars" dev. team but there isn't much I can do to be honest. It's not like I write search algorithms and shit, I use blocks that are part of the .NET stack.

I do optimize my SQL queries because Entity Framework a shit when it comes to more complicated queries with joins and shit.

But also, I'm thankful for the whole stack we have at our hands. Some of the software we make within weeks would take fucking years in manhours to make with bare C/C++ etc. etc.

But then again, we are just application developers. When I see the same bloat on OS level (lol Android) I wanna puke.
>>
Can we have a PC demo thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv7mHTf0nA
>>
>>47661967

>When I see the same bloat on OS level (lol Android)

Confirmed for not keeping up with Android.
>>
>>47661967
well, i'm guessing most of the time most library implementations of algorithms are going to be fast to begin with compared to what most people would write. even if its just simple optimization (like concatenating a bunch of classes you don't need into one or two classes)
>>
also fuck i found some C code for gameboy that would draw 3D cubes and do other cool shit but i deleted it and i cant find it on google
>>
>>47661992
Explanes the battery drains I had even on the last updates. FASUYA.
>>
>>47661992
>what is lollipop
Sorry to crush your freetard dreams but Android is kinda laggy, and that comes from a G2 owner
>>
>>47661991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmfLBAtGAKk

these guys are so badass
>>
>we will probably never have a ROM of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWZbydnlZE
>>
>>47662169

>g2

Why do you comment when your phone hasn't had official support for over a year? I literally said "not keeping up with Android", a phone that's past EOL is not "up to date".
>>
>>47662369
>you need hardware to keep up with optimized software

You are this retarded.
>>
It always makes me wonder how were you supposed to run C programs for example on 1MB of RAM or less, when my Hello Word uses 2 and is also quite big in size?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beijXA8uuMA
>>
>>47661609
>Why do people obsess over getting faster hardware rather than refining software to do crazy shit like this?
Fast hardware's cheaper and easier. When that stops being true, we'll learn how to optimize our code again.
/thread
>>
>>47662407

Skiddie ROMcookers know better how to get new Android versions past official support properly working on my phone than the company itself

No. This has never been the case EVER.
>>
>>47662463
>goku
fucking lold
>>
>>47661609
Nearly everything in that video was already done in Contra for Sega Gen.

It's time to move out of the past.
>>
>>47661680
No, because algorithms are easy to implement and packing data structures so that the hottest bits are at the front is meaningless, when the horde of retard designers come in and spew all over the place.
>>
History has shown that demosceners are really terrible at actual game development (see Psygnosis and what happened with farbrausch's 96k FPS engine). Still really cool to look at though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb3PvD3EUT8
>>
http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/gmdlsgfx/gmdlsgfx.htm
>>
>>47661636
No it is not, you won't believe how much performance gain you can get out of good optimisation.
>>
File: 1428962889511.jpg (205 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
1428962889511.jpg
205 KB, 1067x800
>>47662463
How did they do the last one with the figurine spinning? It can't be a 3D model because it was barely churning out ~100 polys earlier.
And i doubt it's prerendered because that would miss the whole point of a demo.
>>
>>47663801
its definitely prerendered
>>
>>47663801
the fuck are they doing to the cpu?
>>
>>47661636
>especially for video games and the like
The problem is almost always parallel programming and the overhead introduced by the API (which will be reduced immensely with the next iteration of DX, and even Vulcan).
>>
>>47663851
Then what is the point in doing so?
I thought demos are supposed to be real-time.

>>47663882
Pic unrelated. It's some weird,custom board with a bunch of (FPGAs?, not sure). Since it's low frequency, this could work. Probably. Not likely.
>>
>>47662547
>Skiddie ROMcookers know better how to get new Android versions past official support properly working on my phone than the company itself
>No. This has never been the case EVER.

Listen here, retard, bringing support to a phone includes merging the latest commits (4.4.2 -> 5.0), and including the drivers. Problems arise when they need to make certain changes in the kernel, but this barely affects the operating system itself.
>>
>>47663962

That really doesn't look like an FPGA.
>>
>>47663962
>I thought demos are supposed to be real-time.
That demo was supposed to be the best looking one for 80286 CPUs. they also used some other tricks
>>
File: top.800.jpg (450 KB, 800x505) Image search: [Google]
top.800.jpg
450 KB, 800x505
>>47664026
>>
>>47662169
My G2 is perfectly fine. Are you on an AOSP based rom?

>>47662369
>when your phone hasn't had official support for over a year
The G2 already got the official lollipop update.

>>47662547
Have you really not realized yet that most companies purposefully don't optimize their software on purpose so that they can update it later and claim a performance improvement pr force people to buy a new faster product with better hardware? Small market share companies like Motorola (Moto X) and LG (G2) don't have the market saturation to throw moar cores in their phones so they compensated by actually making a good software foundation for their devices because they only have one shot. Samsung and HTC have a whole medium and low range lineup so they don't need to spend extra time and money working on how the phone works, their priority is what the phone looks like because they're "trusted brands".
>>
>>47661680
Because good programmers are more expensive than hardware.
>>
>>47661609
Software programmer here. I've written lots of graphics related stuff as a hobby, fractals, renderers, game engines, etc. When I first started writing stuff my programs were horrible and I wrote them using only basic, naive knowledge. For example my first mandelbrot renderer drew the mandelbrot set pixel by pixel using a terrible windows draw api and it was slow as fuck. It would draw it literally dot by dot and I would watch the dots appear across the screen in slow mow. Eventually I moved to to OpenGL and directx rendering. Another example of my naivety was in making a glow effect that games typically use for whats known as HDR (high dynamic range) or bloom. I knew from a mathematical standpoint that it was whats called a Gaussian blur, and that to achieve the effect with pixel based images, you take boxes of pixels, add them together and then divide them with a weighted term depending on how far they are away from the center pixel. When I first programmed a Gaussian blur, I used a single shader that would sum and computer the resulting blur using a 9x9 pixel box (called a convolution kernel). It worked even for real-time rendering, however I had problems scaling up to larger sized kernels (11x11, 13x13 (only odd numbers work because there needs to be a center pixel)). I later read actual white papers about how it's done in practice without inventing it myself based on pure mathematics. Basically in practice instead of using one shader you use 2. One for the horizontal calculation and then after that you use the results and do a vertical calculation. The equivalent for the 9x9 box means you do the first calculation with a 1x9 box and then the second one with another 1x9 box. In total number of calculations you have to do is 2x9 rather than 9x9. I have more stories to tell and can post some of the stuff I've done if you're interested.
>>
>>47661636
For end user apps sure. For the majority of the computers in the world no. I live in Ottawa, Canada and 99% of programmers in the tech industry here work for telecom or military applications. Their target platforms are 99% ARM with vxworks running as the OS. Optimization is critical here. Every code submission I make has to have a memory delta attached. Every new task created has to use the minimum amount of stack possible. Yes, if you are writing end user programs say for Windows/OSX/Android, then optimization is dead. For the majority of programmers in the world, no. End user applications is a very small sector of the tech industry. When I was in University applying for Co-op positions we had a job database where companies would post their jobs to for our University. There were a million programming jobs. I never saw one that was for end-user applications.
>>
>>47661636
optimizations are hardware/software specific
>>
>>47663851
you can use simple mathematics to achieve the same effect, no need to prerender
>>
>>47666187
whoops, was looking at the wrong thing.. yup thats pre-rendered
>>
>>47666128
You never saw any jobs for iOS, Android or webshit? I find that hard to believe, but maybe things are different in Ottawa.
>>
>>47661609
It's easier to charge for hardware than for software.
Also softwre developers nowadays are too lazy to optimize.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.