[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
YouTube kills API V.2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: d3a142d7.png (116 KB, 705x344) Image search: [Google]
d3a142d7.png
116 KB, 705x344
YouTube will kill their API V.2 in favour of V.3. Why is that important? Now you are obliged to identify yourself in order to use it. That means that users of mps-youtube, etc, will have to enter an account in order to continue to use it.

We are going deeper and deeper inside the botnet...
>>
>>47630285
So now you either:
- use their interface

Let's hope they do nothing that may harm youtube-dl, our lord and savior.
>>
File: autism-bingo.jpg (368 KB, 1143x989) Image search: [Google]
autism-bingo.jpg
368 KB, 1143x989
Shameless bump, nobody cares?
>>
Someone tell Vincent that we need cocktube.li
>>
http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/21/youtube-app-smart-tv-iphone-ipad/

I thought the story was that youtube was going to stop working on older devices (4-5 years old).
>>
When I read the official stuff, I understood that too, but:
https://github.com/np1/pafy/issues/78
This is the python library for interaction with YouTube.
>>
>>47630372
youtube-dl has just removed last API v2 code today in flavor of webpage parsing, still no credentials would be required to enter in future.
>>
>>47630285
>Now you are obliged to identify yourself in order to use it.
Youtube is much better if you're logged in... better recommendations, easier to keep up with subscriptions...
>>
>>47631005
That's nice, and probably it's a solution that is very hard to censor.

But this year Google already killed the XMPP API to Google Talk and now this... The direction they are going is getting more and more clear.
>>
>>47631025
That's not the point of this thread.
>>
>>47631025
I don't want it.

I don't want it.
>>
>>47631025

just tried, can confirm

god bless this anon
>>
Google is new Yahoo.
"Kill every service"
>>
>>47631065
Well, to be fair, there's a lot of things which aren't the point of this thread.
>>
>>47631080
They are not killing them, they are just closing it so you are obliged to stay inside their ecosystem.
>>
>>47631080
I don't know if that's necessarily true, but Yahoo certainly has been bad about just discontinuing products instead of fixing them. Does anyone use Yahoo for anything now?
>>
What the fuck are you guys talking about?
>>
>>47631148
>>47631148
Apparently you may or may not soon have to log in in order to use Youtube on a tablet, and it may or may not stop functioning completely on hardware more than 3 years old.
>>
It seems also that now their subscriptions are just RSS subscriptions to specific channel pages. That seems ok.
>>
The thing is that YouTube is so big, and needs such big structure that it's hard to see it being superseded. Having options when dealing with it is really important.
>>
>>47631210
I used to use an RSS reader instead of having a youtube account.

You can still get a feed for uploads, via:
https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=$1

You can get a users ID, via:
wget -qO - "http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/$1/uploads" | grep channel | cut -d \" -f 2 | uniq -d

Just in the process of migrating now...
>>
>>47631441
Seems nice, I will take a look, thanks!
>>
So does anyone know what any of this means?
>>
>>47631811
No third party YT stuff without logging into an account.
>>
>>47631820
but >>47631005
>>
>>47631888
How much time until no YouTube at all without being logged in?
>>
>>47632590
I personally wouldn't care. I'm not paranoid.
>>
>>47630285
>Using youtube in the first place
Holy shit why, you can always found any worthy video in other places at source quality and not shitty youtube bitrate and encoding.
>In b4 people who listen music on youtube
>>
>>47633742
have you ever actually used youtube? cause i have no idea what you're sayin
>>
>>47633829
Yes and its fucking awful, shitty quality videos.
If you wanted a worthy video you would get it from the source, not there.
>>
>>47633888
no
>>
>>47633906
Nice argument
>>
>>47633888
There are very good channels on youtube with great content. And who just put their videos there.
>>
>>47633918
>good channels on youtube
>great content
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>47630285
But how do you see your sub's and shitpost without logging in?
>>
>>47630813
>spending the time to make this
You can take every space on the board.
>>
>>47633933
there are lots. simply for being by far the most popular video site it's going to have the best and the worst in huge quantities.
>>
>>47633972
Your shitty ecelebs isnt something that could be called "good" content.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 2048x1536
FUCK YOU YOUTUBE. FUCKING GOOGLE JEWS. IM NOT GONNA USE YOUR SHITTY APP.
>>
>>47634385
>FUCKING GOOGLE JEWS.
>while using an apple product

TOPCUCK
>>
>>47630285
>Google offers features
>Features are used to draw people in
>Features are then removed
Don't be evil :^)

>>47631005
That's great to hear. I wonder how difficult it is to parse html and find out where the video is and like things. Google probably makes it difficult by obfuscating their html.

It's a shame that there are so many useful APIs, but tools are needing to parse html because of the asinine restrictions on them.
>>
So is there an alternative to manage subscriptions and searches without having a botnet account or parsing the HTML?
>>
>>47635021
Apple is definitely not nearly as Semitic, deceptive and conniving as Google.
>>
And you wonder why I have severed as many ties to fucking Google as I possibly can. I hate even posting on 4chan because of their Captcha shit, and this might be the last straw that makes me not even use the workaround offered with the extension to allow more indirect use of the captcha.

Fuck Google and anyone still using it is an idiot.
>>
So.uhm how do I get rss feed of uploads now ? My newsbeuter sends me to youtube help.
>>
>>47637621
Start scraping Youtube.
>>
mediagoblin.org
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.