[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Future of DRM AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
Hello /g/ents

I am here to inform you /g/uys about the future of DRM technology.

3 months ago, a company I worked for offered me a job at a new 'sister' company. Currently this company is very new, but soon will become very big.

This company's objective is to deal with DRM technology of all kinds. The goal is to make DRM technology that will prevent piracy and ultimately loss of a company's profits because of this growing phenomena. I am not here to argue the ethics of piracy and other methods to suppress it, but it should be known that piracy is making what is happening at this company necessary.

In the near future (6 months to 2 years time), these new technologies will put a stop the widespread piracy we have now.

So without going into things too specific, AMA.
>>
>>47570217
How does it feel to know that no matter what you do, someone, somewhere will be able to circumvent all your hard work?
>>
gimme the name so i can buy stocks
>>
You should either have spat in their face while you had the chance or signed on and sabotaged them.
>>
why are you a faggot
>>
>nobody has made a company based on DRM before
>DRM is insurmountable without causing consumer device destruction
>DRM as a business strategy is a good idea
nyuk nyuk
>>
Here is a little bit about the company's business model.

We are an independent company from media producers. The plan is that we will work independently to provide these producers, and sell off our technologies on a case by case basis (company wants to release batman 5, we sell them the technology we have for their use in batman 5).

We have different 'tiered' sets of DRM that we are working on. High profile things will have the more complex (and ergo more expensive) DRM while stuff that isn't so important will have the cheaper technologies. This is so we can have all kinds of customers so that no one is limited to our technologies by the price.

Currently I am working in the 'home media' departments (DVDs, BRs), but we also have departments for games (split with PC and console), and music (digitally downloaded and physical CDs).
>>
>>47570217
>In the near future (6 months to 2 years time), these new technologies will put a stop the widespread piracy we have now.
still laughing
>>
>>47570295
this is some delicious bait
please continue
>>
>>47570295
Many people have tried before.

All have failed. What makes you think you are any different?
>>
How do you deal with the fundamental fact that if you can see/hear/play it, you can copy it?
>>
File: 324e3er33e32.jpg (30 KB, 728x456) Image search: [Google]
324e3er33e32.jpg
30 KB, 728x456
OP in the picture
>>
>>47570351
Seriously. If it can run on a TV you can just use a capture card to record it. Similar solutions exist for audio.
>>
>>47570238
Personally, if this were to happen once we are fully up and running I won't care too much. But this has been thought of, that if this were to happen, we would look at the media that was circumvented and look for where our flaw was, and ultimately learn from it.

>>47570259
The company has not gone public yet, I also do not feel comfortable releasing the name on an Indian dating site.

>>47570263
I have given thought about this. Ultimately what I will be contributing to may put an end to what millions of people do for entertainment. I was given a nice offer that I didn't want to turn down.

>>47570344

We are moving in a slightly different direction, I'll elaborate on it more in a future informative post.

>>47570351
>>47570381

You are correct, but if we at least make it more difficult and inconvenient for people to rip the media, we would be successful. Possibly the quality would deteriorate, instead of ripping the full BR/DVD from the drive, the person would need to watch it with a capture device, which may lower the quality.
>>
>>47570217
>>47570238
>How does it feel to know that no matter what you do, someone, somewhere will be able to circumvent all your hard work?
>>
this has been said about every single DRM scheme in existence, from steam to sony's rootkit

good luck m8s
>>
File: 1398533418164.png (235 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
1398533418164.png
235 KB, 900x700
>>47570217
>>
Do you think it will work?
>>
>>47570426
>Possibly the quality would deteriorate, instead of ripping the full BR/DVD from the drive, the person would need to watch it with a capture device, which may lower the quality.
There's always a point where the signal must be unencrypted and passed 'raw' to the output device (a speaker only produces sound from oscillating at some frequency after all) at that point you can *always* record the signal, and if it's a digital signal (just before DAC) you get a 1:1 perfect copy.
Of course you rarely ever have to go that far, all DRMs always have some fatal flaw way before that (and lets not forget the human factor, master private keys have been leaked time and time again).
>>
>>47570426
That requires you to fundamentally change the hardware though. The way content is delivered inherently allows it to be captured from the source, when content is played back, that is the weakest link. I reiterate here, you NEED to fundamentally change the hardware and way it interacts with your DRM encrypted media, and that is just not possible without breaking backwards compatibility.
>>
>>47570509
Not with their current plan. We have multiple 'plans of action'. The plan that we have the most faith in will also be the most expensive all around. This will require everyone to buy a new optical media player, new television sets, new speakers, new media transfer cables so that everything is compatable with our new formats. The producers would need to invest into new technologies that would create these new 'disks' (we are assuming they will be optical disks). Keep in mind that this is a solution for the home media department.

There are holes in this plan, but it is the best one we have that we believe will put an end to piracy.

This solution applies very well to console games, but console games dont really have a big 'piracy' scene in comparison to the other media forms. But I can't give much specifics because I am only in the 'home media' department.
>>
File: new_drm.png (81 KB, 356x350) Image search: [Google]
new_drm.png
81 KB, 356x350
OP here, I will now explain how this new form of DRM will work. The technology is based on the principle of Polarization. Please recall how sunglasses function; the glass has been polarized so that only certain light waves can pass through. This new form of DRM works in a similar way: data is stored on optical media such as CD's/DVD's/BD's, which require a laser in your optical drive in order to be read. What my company is doing is encrypting the data in such a manner that you can compare it to polarization. What I mean by this is that when the laser from your optical drive comes in contact with the optical media, only the "read" light waves from the laser can access that data. Thus, any "copy" light waves from the laser are not permitted to access the data, thereby preventing all forms of piracy. Digital Data will have a similar form of protection which completely prevents any "copying" of data by devices such as HDD's and SDD's.
>>
>>47570693
this guy is not OP, I am OP
>>
File: 1429091042794.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1429091042794.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>47570426
>desperate corporate shill

Hello friend, my capture card salutes you.
>>
>>47570693
We have had read only memory storage for decades now.

Still doesn't detract from the capture card argument. You can always steal the data for the point of delivery. That is never going to change.
>>
>>47570693

>implying your bullshit won't be cracked in a week
>>
>>47570753

Agreed, the only way to make sure people can't copy something they see/hear on a computer is to not make it readable by a computer.

My friend's grandma used to rent all the movies from blockbuster and record them on VHS-- same principle at work here.
>>
I don't understand why Hollywood doesn't just fucking give up. Anything DRM they try will fail time and time again. They're just wasting they're just wasting their jew gold.
>>
>>47570693
>>47570706
No I am OP stop this madness
>>
>>47570693
I have three ways off the top of my head to circumvent this. I don't even have to change anything else.

I only want to circumvent any DRM you may be working on /because/ it may exist.

If it didn't exist, I would not buy the media on the first place because I would have no desire to see it anyways.

There. By the mere idea your company may exist, you have given me the desire to break your DRM. Lack of DRM= reduced piracy.
>>
>>47570693
>"copy" light waves
Mother fucking kek. Still more entertaining than OP.
>>
>>47570217
>prevent privacy
wat
How can you do that?
You can always record something.
Even if they locked down EVERYTHING I could just get a cassette recorder and put it up to my headphones.
>>
>>47570693
You must be chronically retarded m8, when the laser "reads" a file is created in the RAM where chunks of "reads" are dumped and stored for the video decoder to be used, these chunks can be "sniffed" during the decoding process with specific software, and of course it's fucking lossless.
>>
>>47570217
>This company's objective is to deal with DRM technology of all kinds. The goal is to make DRM technology that will prevent piracy and ultimately loss of a company's profits because of this growing phenomena. I am not here to argue the ethics of piracy and other methods to suppress it, but it should be known that piracy is making what is happening at this company necessary.

DRM doesnt stop piracy. That is a just an excuse to shit on the customer. DRM locks paying users into walled gardens and company stores. How does it feel to be cancer.

>In the near future (6 months to 2 years time), these new technologies will put a stop the widespread piracy we have now.

You cannot stop some one from doing whatever they want on their own computers. No matter what you do your just slowing people down and even then only temporarily.
>>
>>47570426
>we would be successful.

It will not lower the quality and you will not be successful. No matter how hard you make it its easy once you do it once then just repeat for other movies and shit.

Also it just takes one guy to crack it then its torrents everywhere. Just one copy need to be made.
>>
>>47570641
>The plan that we have the most faith in will also be the most expensive all around. This will require everyone to buy a new optical media player, new television sets, new speakers, new media transfer cables so that everything is compatable with our new formats.

And this is why you will fail. A lot of people are not going to want to replace their existing, perfectly fine entertainment centers. Especially not, if they originally paid the king's ransom to buy them. Many potential customers are going to vote with their wallets and instead buy the alternative that is free from your shit.
>>
Why would drm ever be unbreakable? Video, audio, code, it all must be decrypted in some form in order for it to be displayed, played back, run. The most interesting game drm I've seen is ones that involve running encrypted instructions but that can hardly work for audio and video. Absolutely any drm can be broken by a simple screen recorder.
>>
>>47570693
This is as bad as that "child genius" thread a few weeks ago where one anon correctly guessed the basis of the kid's patents by pulling the idea out his ass.

That's not how polarization works. I know because I had put some time in studying them because of that stupid aforementioned thread after some anon asked if radio waves could be made to rotate.
>>
>>47570913
you must be chronically retarded for taking the b8, m8.
>>
>>47570693
This will almost work, but the key most people forget when using polarization for copy protection is you need to polarize in both directions. In other words, both the read and copy rays need to be blocked. Thank me later.
>>
>>47570217
Why can I not simply render the video to a virtual display that emulates hdcp, then write that stream to a file?
>>
File: kill yourself.jpg (5 KB, 192x160) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.jpg
5 KB, 192x160
>>47570217
How many dicks did you gargle this morning to come up with some horse shit like this?
>>
File: laughing hyde.webm (292 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
laughing hyde.webm
292 KB, 512x384
>>47570693
> "copy" light waves

I'm dying over here.
>>
>>47570217
>loss of a company's profits(from piracy)

Fallacy

>piracy is making (DRM) necessary.

Fallacy

>these new technologies will put a stop the widespread piracy

Haha think again
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.