[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Mint a good distro for people who don't know how to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: cinnamon-minty.png (957 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon-minty.png
957 KB, 1366x768
Is Mint a good distro for people who don't know how to use Linux and don't intend to learn?

I want to install it for my mom as her facebook and youtube machine.
>>
>>47561765
Why would you subject your own mother to Leenucks? To satisfy your own autism? You're a terrible son.
>>
>>47561765
this or elementary. also take a look at deepin.
they are all better than ubuntu
>>
>>47561779
>never had to fix a parents windows machine thats full of fuck knows what malware.
>>
>>47561779
umm, I use linux on my laptop as a htpc and it works fine for watching anime or browsing. I don't use it or anything else.

she's coming from osx which I don't know how to use at all and I don't know how to right click on it so I can't really help her when she has trouble with stuff and I had to format a usb drive to exfat just to help her transfer f iles.
>>
>>47561765
My mom uses Linux Mint Mate on her laptop.

She's in her 70s.

She gets along just fine with it. Although, she never had a windows computer before. This was her first computer and I installed mint right away cause no viruses.

Just make sure you install adblock and show her the basic shit and she will be fine.
>>
>>47561765
Yes.

But so is Ubuntu (or *buntu). You can use Youtube to see how distros you are interested in look.
>>
>>47561765
Install XP sp3, probably your mom has a job
>>
>>47561782

>elementary Os
>an untested, unstable, niche distribution based on a deprecated Ubuntu whose only goal is too look nice while being idle

>deepin
>a chinese fork of ubuntu with an icon theme and some side panel plus a dock

Why do you recommend things you're not really familiar with?
Ubuntu and its flavors are better in every regard than those spin-offs, which will be forgotten in a couple of years.
>>
>>47561797
>coming from osx
I will re recommend elementary or deepin as they have an osx like layout. deeping has great right click support for uninstalling programs as well so it will be easy for her to manage.
>>
File: DeepinScreenshot20150417002020.png (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
DeepinScreenshot20150417002020.png
2 MB, 1280x800
>>47561813
i have no idea what im talking about. thank you for enlightening me, anon.
>>
>>47561765
Just try Elementary, *buntus and Mint flavors booted from a live usb and see what she likes the most / can handle the best. Install whatever she likes the most.
>>
>>47561858
That looks like shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.