[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plox help. UChicago
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: uchicago.jpg (74 KB, 521x622) Image search: [Google]
uchicago.jpg
74 KB, 521x622
Hi /g/. I got into University of Chicago and University of Michigan and waitlisted at Carnegie Mellon. I love math, comp sci, crypto, secure software engineering, machine learning and data science so it seems UChicago would be a good fit, but it's so fucking depressing. I'm honestly scared I'll fucking an hero there because I've come close before. UMich otoh is a big fucking party school, and I don't think I stand a chance at CMU. What do?
>>
>>47297583
What's so depressing about UChicago? Are you afraid of the native wildlife?
>>
>>47297607
It's known as one of the most stressful schools in the country, it's fucking cold, and it has a reputation of being "where fun goes to die". Just to add to that stress thing, 6hrs of studying a day being the norm is fucked up imo
>>
Just go to CMU if you get it
>>
>>47297583
>I'm honestly scared I'll fucking an hero there
Wha?
>>
>>47297624
Suck it up, excel and fucking shape the universe. We already have a surplus of party-faggot useless parasites fucking up society on every level. You're in a position to slot yourself in such a way that you can change shit. Work it out.
>>
>>47297643
That's the goal but the chances of getting off the waitlist are very slim
>>
>>47297652
I can't "shape the universe" if I'm fucking ded
>>
>>47297583
relax bro and have a couple beers or xanax. We're all gonna make it
>>
>>47297668
I'm only stressing over this now because I know the stress later on will be a lot worse, especially if I'm not prepared. And I won't be able to knock back a few beers or xanax when I have 3 midterms the next morning
>>
>>47297583
>tfw accepted to Carnegie as CS major
>couldn't attend because poorfag reasons even after receiving scholarships
It sucks being a poorfag
>>
>>47297698
dude, calm the fuck down. Seriously, you are fucking yourself up bashing your imagination against a fucking hurricane of insecurity. Shit will be much better than expected. You're going to be better than fine if you let yourself unfuck your own mind.
>>
>>47297708
sorry to hear that. I'm sure you earned it too
>>
>>47297698
you're also not gonna be able to do shit if your freaking out crying and thinking about doing an hero
>>
>>47297724
>>47297714
oh, a little bit more soberly: I don't know if I'll be able to handle the stress/pressure (it's not up for debate whether it's there, because it is and there's plenty of it). Even if I can, how fun a time will college be if I'm studying 6hrs a day like everyone else (that's not a made-up figure)? And if I can't, well the consequences might be worse or I'll just drop out. This is my dilemma. The only resolution is to somehow make myself believe that I can have fun there. These places don't get a bad rap for no reason
>>
OP listen to me, go to UChicago. I went to a uni that was easier than I was capable of and I regret is SO MUCH. Stretch your brain or forever admit your subhumanity as a dumb pleb
>>
>>47297932
thank you. I think I've convinced myself that Mich isn't really an option, since I really like to be challenged and I'm a semi-robot. I still think I'd like CMU better so I'll shoot for that but I'll just have to deal with UChicago if that doesn't work out
>>
Uchicago senior here. Don't come here, Hyde park is an absolute shithole and you will feel trapped because the immediate surrounding area is a total ghetto, some of the shittiest places in the country. Everyone here is neurotic as fuck. It's a fucking meme school. Don't let the marketing fool you, they've definitely ramped it up lately to attract more applicants and inflate the undergraduate rankings. By the way, undergrads are basically second class citizens. The core curriculum is a massive waste of time and forces you to deal with retards and autists. Just go to UMich or whatever. Going here is my biggest regret.
>>
>>47298413
The comp sci department here is mediocre, understaffed, and has big class sizes now. There are a few good professors but the others are absentminded wizards that couldn't care less about teaching undergrads. And if you are into math, there's a decent chance you won't even take classes with proper professors, they pretty much get postdocs to teach all of the undergrad classes. There is no software engineering to speak of, everything is done in C or the department's pet functional language. I'm a math/cs double major so I've experienced all of this firsthand
>>
If becoming an hero is a real issue, then defs forget about chicago holy shit.

otherwise, do uchicago.

umich is mediocre tier
>>
>>47298413
>>47298449
>>47298548
Wow that was the opposite of what I was expecting to here from a student. Fuck man. Yeah it's between what you described and "mediocre tier" UMich. Damn I hope I get into CMU then. Would you say that there are no non-geeks at UChicago? I don't wanna be fucking surrounded by robots 24/7 or hear lame nerd jokes that are so overdone they make me want to stab my fucking ears
>>
>>47298594
Not him, but there are the occasional people who aren't awful, but I feel like either the school either filters those people out or you end up becoming just another average UC student.
>>
>>47298793
God help me if I become one of them. That ties into another question: are there decent creative outlets? I might like to do something with comedy (writing or acting). Am I screwed? What about other stuff like sports? Martial arts? Sorry if I'm asking too much, I just didn't expect to get an actual student here
>>
>>47298840
>are there decent creative outlets?
There are plays and stuff like that, but you can get that at every other school without the pretentiousness.

>What about other stuff like sports?
No.

>Martial arts?
Again, every school will have this.

To be honest, even if we had state of the art creative outlets, martial arts, and sports you would still be studying every chance you get just to get within the ball-park of a C.
>>
>>47297583
>>47298594

UChicago Math/Econ/Stat major here.

Our CS department isn't very good, but our math department is amazing. We've got a couple of good Stat people here too.

Of course there are non-geeks at UChicago. I wouldn't say that the form the core of the community though. Also we have no sports lol.

I would say that the main thing about UChicago is that you have to work harder to find fun things to do, but it's by no means a depressing place. (I'm one of those people who got burned by the whole COLLEGE IS AWESOME WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE hype.)
>>
>>47298890
>>47298879
>>47298413
Thank you guys so much for your input. I'm still not sure if UChicago would be a good fit for me but I'm leaning towards "no" just because I don't think I have the fortitude to put myself through stress and trials for things that either shouldn't be difficult (finding something fun to do?!) or think is bullshit (studying my ass off for a mediocre grade). I can handle stress fantastically when I'm motivated, but I just don't see myself being motivated here. Thanks again. I've got to go to sleep, it's mad late/early.
>>
>>47299061
UChicago's grade deflation is overrated. Just put in the time and effort and don't take classes by obviously shitty profs.

Come to UChicago if you want to get kick ass at an academic field or research, basically.
>>
>>47297665
Anon. Seriously. If I had this opportunity to reshape my life I'd fucking take it in a heartbeat. A little suffering now sets you up for life (kinda). Don't make the mistake a lot of us here have made.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.