[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drones = Jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 636x358
Can you really see companies like Amazon paying "Piolts" $100,000 USD per year to fly a toy?

Sign me up

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/25/news/drone-pilot-degree/
>>
>>47100501
no
>>
>>47100501

Fuck a degree , you should be able to fly a drone on a private pilot license
>>
>>47100501
>Amazon paying "pilots"
>Not paying code monkeys once for basic flight IA
>>
>>47100556

Fuck off with your AI , they will never replace humans.
>>
>>47100574

Maybe auto pilot function with a dude to monitor multiple drones incase the AI fuggs up?
>>
>>47100598

How about one drone per person. Spread the wealth around , we can all make a salary
>>
>>47100556
The government will just create regulation requiring all drones to be "piloted" by a human.

Why do you think pharmacists still have jobs when you could look at a drug interaction checker online? Because it's the law that a pharmacist must check a script before it can be sold.
>>
>>47100574
They already replace humans for a lot of jobs.
What make you think an AI won't be used to pilot those drones?
>>
>>47100616
>one drone per person
>Spread the wealth around
>Implying Amazon will allow this

>>47100617
>>
>>47100645
Why would Amazon have a problem with this? They run Mechanical Turk; they could just pay people a few cents per delivery to monitor each drone until it gets to its destination and back to base.
>>
File: image.jpg (261 KB, 662x858) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261 KB, 662x858
>>47100626

Because the FAA won't allow it. All companies have to follow the FAA or fuck off of american soil.

Thank god someone is keeping the cheap greddy Jews in check
>>
>>47100645
Transportation industry is bigger than Amazon. They will lobby for it, and win because they have more money than Amazon.
>>
>>47100645

It's not up to Amazon , it's up to what the United States deems as safe. Safety First , don't break the law
>>
>>47100677
>>47100670
>>47100667
They'll find a way.
There's literally no legislation on drones as of today.
>>
>>47100667
Government will require a 4 year accredited degree and licensing exam for all drone pilots.
>>
>getting paid to play a vidya game called drone adventure X: Drakes american chronicles

Now I've seen it all
>>
>>47100501
You'd get 6 months, if that before they get enough flight data to get rid of you. They're not going to spend more than fucking shipping normally to have 50000 people flying drones to single houses all day long you fucking retards.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1024x768
>>47100722

Drones are also still illegal for commercial use for that very reason. Nothing commercial flies until the USA and FAA writes guidelines and regulations. There isn't no "Amazon will find a way" , either follow the rules of the sky or get fucked over.
>>
>>47100722
At one time there was no legislation on drugs. Look where we are now.
>>
Drones will probably use AI if they're ever used for this purpose. Having a pilots flying individual drones wont really save any money
>>
File: 1410070934677.jpg (93 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1410070934677.jpg
93 KB, 960x720
>have been flying quadcopters since the first ones hit US shores, and enthusiast RC equipment even earlier

For fucks sake, they're not "DRONEZZ" they're Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Stop calling them drones. It's just a shitty buzzword designed to invoke reactions.

Anyway, Amazon's "drone" delivery will never fucking happen, and I can tell you why. These damn things are too fucking unpredictable. If your gyro or Li-Po decides to die on one these guys, you've just created a missile that will destroy a car windshield, or kill Old Man Johnson's dog.

Also, what about power lines, trees, unmapped elements, rapid weather changes, and disgruntled rednecks with 00 birdshot?

Also you'd have fucks like me trying to steal them so you can harvest the parts.

It's a fucking hypemachine guys. It's one big advertisement.

Also, what could you possibly buy besides an SSD and toothpaste to fit in that? I buy car detailing supplies off Amazon. That shit's heavy. Even the drones that are 2k USD and above can barely even carry a 5D with a simple lens.

>>47100769

Check it again, you can fly them for basic commercial stuff like Real Estate, as long as you follow some guidelines (under 300 feet, spotter, notification if near airport, etc.)
>>
>>47100773
we're in hell, actual hell, the devil is here
>>
>>47100773
>More and more states allowing cannabis
u 420 blazed me away with ur argument m8

>>47100769
>Rules can't change
Google wouldn't be developing smart cars if they couldn't force their interest into the law.
Same with Amazon.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 640x419
>>47100727

>4 year accredited degree

No the fuck it won't. You can get a private piolit license and fly these things in less than a year. This is much harder to fly than a damn drone , why would I waste 4 years?
>>
>>47100501
I can see packages getting stolen more often. :^)
>>
>>47100814
>private piolit license
>private
As in, you can't fly it if it's your job.
>>
>>47100727
Now THAT Amazon would fight. They'd say you should be eligible to pilot a drone if you take a quick online class amounting to "don't crash into people or infrastructure cables; also don't be a terrorist", and the public would agree vehemently with that if given the alternative of requiring a 4-year degree. Too many people either have kids or have no degree and would see that kind of requirement as way too onerous.

Maybe the government will impose limits the way the DMV has limits (non-commercial vehicles are easier to get a license for than commercial ones, so they could say you just need a cursory verification to pilot a drone smaller than a bicycle but you need real training to pilot anything bigger), and Amazon might agree to that and just stay under the size limit so untrained Turkers can do the job.

Even if it becomes a hard requirement to get some training, neither Amazon nor the public would concede a requirement like 4 years of training to pilot a general purpose drone. You don't even need that to pilot a real plane, for god's sake.
>>
They're not going to hire some faggot on 4chin, more like experienced pilots.
>>
>>47100769
They can lobby for fast-track regulation. Automated logistics is coming.
>>
>>47100794

The FAA will denie all AI drones. The FAA actually wants to see these billion dollar companies to invest into the people of the USA.

What a crazy thought right? I don't care about how much Amazon could of saved , give me my JOB so I can feed my FAMILY
>>
>>47100892
Should have gotten into STEM fagboi
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 570x320
>>47100878

>Automated logistics

Unions, FAA , politicians and US government will fight against that to the bitter end
>>
>>47100892
>B-But muh FAA
No fagtron, America is over.
All hail Artificial intelligence and Amazon self driven drones.
>>
>>47100841
Based on a cursory glance, it seems that it only takes like ~400 hours of flight time and training (cumulative) to be allowed to pilot a commercial plane. I bet the FAA could get away with pushing for half that (probably closer to 1/10th that) for a smaller drone.

Commercial pilots tend to have years of experience because the industry has enough supply that airlines can demand experience, but it's not a legal requirement as far as I'm aware. AMT actually has a system in place to check and verify someone's "qualifications", so if the whole training program is within Mechanical Turk Amazon could verify that someone is accredited to pilot a drone and just make a market for monitoring drone deliveries.

And this is all assuming the FAA requires all of this. At this point, this is all conjecture, isn't it? Has the FAA made any indications about *what* regulations they'll impose?
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>47100931
>All hail Artificial intelligence

When will you idiots ever learn.
>>
>>47100501
Not sure why Amazon would have pilots, I think they'd want them on autopilot the same way they do their warehouse stuff. Just robots moving shit around constantly. It basically makes every address a mini-warehouse, and by ordering something to a particular address you are just moving inventory from one warehouse to another.
>>
>>47100948
>At this point, this is all conjecture, isn't it? Has the FAA made any indications about *what* regulations they'll impose?
Yes, but the point is that there won't be automation, Amazon won't be able to use some uncredited mTurk scrubs from afghanistan for cheap labor.
>>
>>47100952
If clever AI want to annihilate us, they must have a good meaningful reason for it.
Why not embrace reason and cooperate with our overlords?
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 1040x1055) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 1040x1055
>>47100931

>herp, let's give away all of America's jobs to AI

Don't stop there , why not replace every American piolit and CDL Driver/Delivery Driver with robots too! That should help our country a whole lot
>>
>>47100999
>muh jerbs!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111
Have fun paying useless burger flippers 10 dollars an hour when a robot can do it for 10 cents.
Oh wait, all your precious jerbs are already getting outsourced to India and China, but the difference is the quality is worse than what a robot would do and you're throwing money at China to top it off.
>>
>>47100984

A warehouse is a controlled area , american skies from 0-400 feet Isnt.

So please stop trying to save billion dollar companies money now boy genius
>>
>>47100984
It's easier to automate the warehouse because it's a contained space. You can tell people to give right of way to machines because they'll maul you if they run into you, but out in the rest of the world that kind of arrangement needs to the backing of the government (or more specifically in the US, the FAA). Just like the DMV and traffic laws in general say that pedestrians have right of way even when they're being idiots, and in the US there's this culture that drivers can't just intentionally kill people who run out into the street without looking (fucking norms, am i right?).
>>
>>47100997

>humans being slaves to their creations

That's how the world ends
>>
>>47101030
You seems upset by the future.
>>
>>47101026

So how about we throw money at americans instead you asshole
>>
File: STOP.jpg (7 KB, 137x234) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
7 KB, 137x234
>>47100501

This is clickbait, remember that Amazon is known to buy articles like this just like they did with 60 minutes.

No, a drone pilot will not be paid 100k. Existing pilots are not paid that and they actually have to fly planes filled with people.

This is all marketer hype bullshit meant to increase their stock price. Commercial UAVs are not even legalized by the FAA yet, the process begins next year with select law enforcement agencies with commercial implementation being slated for 2020-2025. Even then, UAVs are a shit-tier way to deliver things because UAVs at best only get 1-2 hours flighttime and can only care one small package at a time. It's very expensive for no gain, especially when Amazon can just contract UPS to deliver all their shit for them and not have to worry about setting up infrastructure.

I've used multirotors and RC planes before they were "cool" doing aerial photography. Amazon's UAV shit is 100% hype and no substance. We won't get UAV delivery for a long time just because of technical issues inherent with it. Even then, it's not much more economical over standard delivery trucks especially when the FAA is going to be butthurt having more than 2 or 3 UAVs flying within a mile of each other.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1035x1035
>>47101043

Go fuck off with your fleet of Google car package cars and tractor trailers and Google planes.
>>
In the future every house will have a small landing pad mounted on the roof for personal quadcopters capable of lifting enough weight to transport goods. You will be able to order everything online and your drone will be dispatched to the store to pick up the goods and fly home automatically.

Cool idea or no?
>>
>>47100991
As a policy, AMT only allows for American workers because the PATRIOT act makes it awkward to pay people without US tax info (they recently expanded it to Indians I think, but you can set a requirement that your task only be eligible to people in a certain place or with certain characteristics).

Couple that with some basic training and accreditation and some flimsy agreement that you won't let anyone Turk on your account except yourself, and Amazon would pretty much be legally covered.

I don't see anything inherently preventing the FAA from saying that automated is fine as long as it's monitored by a human at all times. Self-driving car approval is heading in that direction. Amazon could have 2 people with validated training and whatnot monitoring each delivery at all times, and guarantee a safe emergency landing if the connection to both observers ever cuts out simultaneously.

Amazon would probably even sell this as injecting the flight industry with thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands?) of workers making a living wage and all that glowing crap (despite the inevitable reality of paying these people like a dime per delivery).
>>
>>47101057
That's what robots would do retard. Companies and consumers wouldn't be exporting money to China for cheap goods if it was produced here, but you faggot liberal shitheads keep bitching about minimum wage which makes it unrealistic to do anything cheap here.
>>
>>47101093
What about people in apartments and stuff?
>>
thanks america
>>
>>47101110

>paying someone under $10 per hour

It's like I'm living in communist Cuba
>>
File: plz leave jidf.gif (763 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
plz leave jidf.gif
763 KB, 500x275
>>47101093
>>
>>47101093

why don't they just do a series of tubes like in The Fifth Element..
>>
>>47101093
It would be a clusterfuck and the FAA or other agencies would probably never allow it officially because all it takes is two or more motors going bad for the thing to fall 400ft and seriously hurt someone.
>>
>>47101130
Turkers make like $1.30 an hour or something. I forgot the last stat, but you're not making minimum wage until you're eligible for tasks that require like hundreds of thousands of completed HITs and approval rates higher than 99% or something.

They get away with it because you're not an employee; you're a "contractor". It's a dubious practice but it's proven popular (Crowdflower, AMT, I think for a while Uber and Lyft drivers were/are considered contractors)
>>
People sure do hate easy jobs around here
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.