[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did they get so right /g/? Apple sets the trend again for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 519x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 519x283
What did they get so right /g/? Apple sets the trend again for the other companies to try and copy.

Thanks based Tim Cook
>>
>>47001093
I think Lenovo learned their lesson and will abstain from fucking up the thinkpad line further.
>>
It is how Apple works. Remove as much as possible in the new model so they can add it later. The notebook is not bad but like all Apple products it costs a lot. Don't like it, don't buy it?
>>
>>47001105
Yeah they should be more like the macbook if they want to do well
>>
they're making a statement. it's a stupid statement, but it's bold and gets people's attention and they'll buy it anyway because it's apple.
>>
Are we still getting a new MBA or was that it?
>>
>>47001093

>shit cpu
>shitty keyboard
>shittier battery
>1 fucking port

What trend are they setting?

>muh slim laptop
>>
>>47001190

Do you want to be carrying a huge hulking laptop everywhere?
>>
>>47001235

Yes. I want to be carrying around productivity, and enough power to do my fucking work and not sit at star bucks all day, jerking off to pretentious hive mind materialism.
>>
>>47001279
great enjoy your 3 hour battery life
>>
>>47001343
You realize apple themselves make a laptop with the kind of power >>47001279 is talking about, and it has pretty fucking solid battery life, right?
>>
>>47001366

Yes, for 1000$+.
>>
File: 1421879984300.png (49 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1421879984300.png
49 KB, 1024x1024
>>47001093
>>
>>47001279
Ok great enjoy carrying your desktop everywhere & your 3 hour battery life. I'll be at Starbucks on my new gold macbook drinking a latte and pulling bitches left right and centre ;)
>>
>>47001383
Stop being poor.
>>
>>47001235

>implying a difference in 500-600g means anything

Im not a fucking weak ass hipster manlet who can pick up a leaf off the ground.
>>
>>47001408

I get 20 hours fully optimized Mr. Apple Sheep.

>>47001419

Spending wisely =/= poor
>>
The MacBook Pro has power at the cost of portability
The Macbook Air has the balance between portability and still usable performance
The Macbook is literally a starbucks facebook machine

Apple knows its audience though.
>>
>>47001105
People buy thinkpads because they don't want macbook style computers. Why would they think their customers want macbooks?
>>
>>47001093
>/g/
>phone doesn't have an sd card slot
Fucking shit, dropped, fuck it
>laptop with one fucking port
Oh, fantastic, take all muh money

This product is another class example of a product made for tech illiterate people who want to look cool while using something and care more for that than they do for functionality
>>
HP will copy this bullshit in 2017
Lenovo Chinkppad in 2019
Apple will be unifying their iPad and Macbook line then, since no one needs keyboards any way
>>
File: macbook.png (707 KB, 1169x381) Image search: [Google]
macbook.png
707 KB, 1169x381
lel
>>
>>47001636
>Mac user can't appreciate a Rollcage
Enjoy your raspberry pi case, goy
>>
File: 157.jpg (44 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
44 KB, 680x583
>>47001562
>HP will copy this bullshit in 2017
>Lenovo Chinkppad in 2019
>Apple will be unifying their iPad and Macbook line then, since no one needs keyboards any way

The day all laptops become like this is the day I commit suicide
>>
The way I see it this is a perfect 4chan/Netflix machine for me. If only the surface was thinner though And had type c
>>
How powerful do you need your computers /g/? You bitch about performance and then skip on getting that i7.
>>
>>47001667
>implying i'm not using the right one
The joke is that apple leaves out literally everything
>>
>>47001190

> shitty battery

better than ALL non Apple laptops.
>>
>>47001722
>Muh form over function

Still doesn't justify spending 1300$ on a mobile tier cpu
>>
>>47001722
I bet you also think that a laptop i7 is as good as a desktop one, lel
>>
>>47001279
>>I want to be carrying around productivity

the austism is strong with this one
>>
>>47001792
you don't want to be productive?
>>
>>47001792

Nice ad hominem.
>>
>>47001722
Vidya games
>>
>>47001093

What can the so loved XPS 13 do that the MacBook can't?

> Checkmate atheists
>>
>>47001532
Because Lenovo is a stupid company where the people making the decisions have no damned idea what makes a good computer and what makes a bad computer. Ironically, despite also copying certain trends that Apple sets, Lenovo is unable to follow one Apple slogan: "Think different."

The old-style ThinkPads that were made when IBM still owned the product line is different. I'm sure Lenovo's thinking was, "Oh, no! The ThinkPads are totally unlike the stuff that Apple is selling! Screw 4:3 displays, screw 1400x1050 high resolution, screw IPS panels, screw good keyboards, screw road warrior quality!"
>>
File: 4L_IcE5E3qw.jpg (19 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_IcE5E3qw.jpg
19 KB, 640x1136
>>47001093

>2001+14
>480p webcam
>logo not backlit
>one usb port
>dongle cost $79
>retails $1,299

Apple is gonna make a lot of money off this one.
>>
You know what i hate the most about the macbook?

The shiver of "i must have it" i'm sure i will have soon as i see one in real life.
>>
>>47001093
Well, as usual its a pretty design. I feel they should have included another USB-C port on the other side. Also, its a bit expensive when compared to the Zenbook UX305 (about half as expensive).
>>
>>47001093

they only thing they did right was going to USB-C that's it.
>>
>>47002305
Kill yourself.
>>
>>47002298
>>logo not backlit
This is a retarded feature
>>
>>47001532
>People buy thinkpads because they don't want macbook style computers.
Are people this delusional or this stupid on /g/?
>>
>>47002373
I never claimed it wasn't. But it's not a feature unlike their other laptops witch further increases Apple's producer surplus
>>
>>47001764
I can spout memes without sources too shill
>>
>>47001093
Didn't Asus beat apple to this trend by releasing a notebook thinner than this shit, stronger cpu, and cheaper? Or how about the Chromebook pixel 2? Guess Apple will get all credit for doing nothing.
>>
>Having to buy an adapter to use fucking USB

>want to go to store across the street
>iShoes wont let me cross street
>iShoes wont let me get in car to drive across street
Haven't you ever heard of helicopters before
>>
Windows user here, but I'm going to play some devil's advocate or whatever that shit is called. Hardware doesn't necessarily refer the internals (CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU, etc) and this is especially true with laptops. Unlike desktops, laptops have to be judged on far far more than their internal hardware. Screen, overall design, build quality, battery life, ports, keyboard/mouse, accessories, etc, etc are just as important as the stuff inside if not more. Depending on your needs, the outside can be much more important than the inside. Why do you think macs sell so well? Even if they aren't THAT magical, the advertising (which apple is absofuckinglutely amazing at) makes it seem so. Things like "unibody aluminum enclosure", "edge to edge glass display" (apple displays are usually of higher quality too, offering better resolutions, better colors and brightness etc), "glass multi touch trackpad gestures", there's just a much higher sense of quality that comes with the higher price tag. Same thing applies for the OS. Made to be used by anyone and made specifically for the hardware (they often advertise that their batteries are much better and that they use them better because they can tailor to specific hardware). In a device that's made to be mobile and make an impression of quality, the internals are last on the list. Most people buying macbooks don't need the bleeding edge of hardware. Not including the mac pros and the larger screened macbook pros with better graphics, the average user with a 13 inch macbook pro just goes on facebook, itunes, and whatever other specialty lightweight programs they use. Nothing insane needed. Anyway, /reasons to buy a mac.
>>
>>47001093
What they got right is usb c. Definitely not the number of them, but by having even 1 then other companies will get on board, and it's all good
>>
>>47002254
>drinking the IBM koolaid this hard

T2x series had faulty RAM slots that came off the planar

T42 had GPU issues

T43 overheated

High resolution IPS panels are now common in ThinkPads
>>
>>47003176
>High resolution IPS panels are now common in ThinkPads
Really? I thought most were TN and REALLY shitty

But you are right, IBM had some major fuckups since 2000, don't forget the deathstars
>>
>>47003176

Oh wow, three problems! The entire line is ruined!

Seriously, that's not the point. Every computer can have design flaws. The point is that Thinkpads were designed with a practical mindset. They were fairly powerful, had a huge number of ports, and the user could repair or replace ANYTHING on the device. They had 4:3 and 16:10 screens long after it was unfashionable because they valued practicality over playing videos. IBM completely disregarded sexiness and made tools. Even if they had flaws, the concept was perfect.

IBM has been run by a pack of morons for almost two decades, but they made great computers.
>>
>>47003253

So even if IBM's Thinkpads had technical problems, the idea was great. Even if Lenovo's Thinkpads are technically perfect, they're a shitty idea.

I also think you're exaggerating the technical problems, but that's another story.
>>
>>47003236
Yes.

If you're willing to ignore the other shitty 'features' the screens are pretty nice now.

>>47003253
Ironically Apple are still using 16:10.

Coming from an X220 owner what's wrong with other business laptops
>>
>>47001518
How is the pro not portable?
>>
>>47003298
>>If you're willing to ignore the other shitty 'features' the screens are pretty nice now.
Too bad but i can't ignore chicklet keyboards and no trackpad buttons
Also no bios mods possible on the newest models
>>
File: A1.jpg (54 KB, 960x500) Image search: [Google]
A1.jpg
54 KB, 960x500
>>47001105
>Asus Zenbook ux305
>IntelĀ® Core M-5Y10a processor
>13,3-inch IPS (3200 x 1800)
> 4GB/8GB RAM
> 128GB/256GB SSD
> 3x USB 3.0
> 1x HDMI
> 1x 3,5 mm audio output
> 1x Micro-SD card reader

Why do you want a laptop where you can't use the charger and a flash drive at the same time without an adapter?
>>
>>47001518
>The MacBook Pro has power at the cost of portability
Are you saying the Macbook Pro isn't portable? Are Mac users less in shape than an emaciated Sudanese refugee at a UN feeding center?
>>
>>47001636
That motherboard is pretty impressive.
>>
>>47003340
>not even a Ghz
ayyy lmao
>>
>>47003326
The layout is the biggest problem.

In terms of feel it's improved as the new 'p' series machines have the kb screwed directly down in to the rollcage so there's no more flex.
>>
>>47002323

A BIT expensive? Compared to a machine with similar specs, half the price, three times the USB ports, an SD card slot, and an HDMI port?

I hate both of them because they both put form over function, but they're not even in the same league.
>>
>>47003358

It's slow. It's unacceptably slow for $700. But 1.1 GHz in a $1300 machine is worse than .8 GHz in a $700 machine.
>>
>>47003451
>>47003340

>0.8 GHz
What the FUCK is going on
>>
File: macbook.png (2 MB, 1972x1506) Image search: [Google]
macbook.png
2 MB, 1972x1506
>>47001093
>>
>>47001093
>iCult
>Does anything right
Get out. Now.
>>
>>47001190
I guess you haven't used laptops for very long because the typical light and thin options for laptops were just shitty atom models with mini keyboards and non-existant trackpads and terrible screen resolutions.

getting a first-gen product from any company is a bit dumb, but I'm sure by the 2nd-3rd gen this new macbook will be popular like all the other ones over the past ten years.
>>
>>47003481
Intel really, really can't into 14nm.
>>
the original macbook air only had one USB port and a mini DVI you still need an adapter for, this is basically the same thing.

USB 3.1 is 10 Gbit
Thunderbolt 2 is 20 Gbit, deal with it.
>>
>>47003481
Fully fanless design, and intel can't into low TDP

These chips are barely faster than an A8X or the new Tegra and Exynos, despite being built on the best 14nm process and are fucking huge, and cost +250 for a 1000 tray.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.