[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do many people dislike Gnome 3? It seems to do a good job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 11
Why do many people dislike Gnome 3? It seems to do a good job with window management and looks nice to me. Much more useful than something like Unity. With a few extensions, you can make it even better (like have a dropdown applications menu).
>>
Try Plasma 5
>>
>looks nice to me
That's my reason: it doesn't look nice to me. It runs surprisingly smoothly and all, but I just don't like the appearance. I think in a word it feels "cluttered" to me.
>>
>>46998885
too much tablet interface style crap. I like gnome2/mate much more
>>
>>46998942
>tablet style interface
It's nearly impossible to use on a tablet though.
>>
>>46998942
Ubuntu MATE. It's happening. RIP vanilla Ubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome and Xubuntu.
>>
>>46998942
If you have a dozen windows open, I find pressing super and then selecting the window you want to go to very convenient rather than alt-tab or look down at a taskbar panel. You can easily close them with a middle click making it more snappier.
>>
I love gnome3, and it was embarassing how much of a backlash there was about it. It's pretty, the extensions are cool, and (most importantly) I find it to increase productivity by being able to switch between windows or start new programs. It's also one of the first times it's felt comfortable to have a taskbar on the side for me.

The outcry about it was super embarassing. People acted like it was ruining their childhoods. Now there's MATE and a bunch of other kooky unity things and gnome3 is much improved itself. The backlash literally reminded me of someone trying to move a non-vocal autist's bedroom clock or whatever without explaining what they were doing.
>>
>>46999030
using gnome3 for a while and then having to use windows for some reason makes this so obvious. it makes me feel like i wasted half of my youth alt-tabbing once too many times and then having to awkwardly shift-alt-tab back

since win7 it's a lot better because you can click on windows or navigate it with the arrowkeys, but they're all the preview is often unhelpful compared to gnome3's, especially with multiple windows of something open.

and it's the same keybind as one of the major ways to launch new applications
>>
>>46999049
Gnome 3 is good on newer systems with widescreen displays. Anything older I use MATE or XFCE.

>>46999098
I found alt-shift-tabbing awkward too. Most of the time I would just cycle round again than do that. There was some other thing called flip mode I think but it didn't feel very smooth to me.
>>
>>46998885
Why do you dislike unity?

>inb4 it's shit
>>
>>46999231
It's 2015, you can get a 3rd gen Core 2 Duo machine with 4GB RAM for $100 and that's plenty enough to run GNOME 3 and do stuff with it.

>>46999528
I haven't put much effort into learning Unity's keyboard shortcuts and generally how to use it, but I like GNOME Shell's overview and such much more than I do Unity's dock and pop-out dash.
>>
Gnome is the biggest reason to use freetard software. It is literally years ahead other DEs.
- sent from Fedora 22 running gnome 3.16
>>
>>46999715
Running an alpha operating system on a machine you use?
>>
I like it. The majority of non autistic GNU/Linux users I know use it too.
>>
>>46999785
>autistic GNU/Linux users
They don't call it GNU/Linux either, do they?
>>
>>46998885
It feels like it is made by 12year olds
might be good but doesn't work for me
>>
The fat title bar on Firefox under Gnome 3 pisses me off so much that it's enough alone to keep me away from it.
>>
>>46999832
There is an extension which fixes that problem.
>>
>>46999832
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/htitle/
>>
>>46999832
That's because Firefox in F21 still uses GTK2 and isn't compatible with most of GNOME's tweaks. The version of Firefox in Rawhide and F22 is in GTK3 and blends in with everything else. Of course you could just change the default theme.
>>
>>46998885
People dislike Gnome 3 because it's a pile of shit.
>>
>>46998885

personally it's because they've gone down the new route for ui/desktop design without having a good user experience like OSX and without having proper desktop functionality

want to know what the new icon of the week does? shit out of luck
want to have an address bar in the file manager? fuck you use add-ons
want to edit/move/have basic DE design elements? fuck you use add-ons
want to show hidden files in the file manager? well fuck, you better hope to remember to press the non-intuitive keybind every time you launch the damn thing or go edit the fucking convoluted config file through a config-manager -- well actually we'll add it back as an option on the menu because we were idiots for removing it in the first place

so you use add-ons for all your basic desktop functionality, great, you go through 200 add-ons that do god knows what behind the scenes, whittle them down to the 10 or 15 functional or barely usable add-ons that are subject to no longer being maintained by the current dev (ergo a few dozen new forks being spawned all with their own special-snowflake design philosophy and keybindings), subject to being broken with every update - and usually are because version numbers are hard guys, and the entire eco-system is going to end up like any other add-on eco-system, dead with 1-5 usable add-ons to restore basic functionality that will be broken when the next best update comes along, or have a bloated eco-system with 20 different add-ons that do the same thing with 200 more broken or unusable

yeah sure it's a nice-ish experience out of the box for a GNU/Linux DE but it comes at the cost of forcing you adapt to its design philosophy and if you don't like it you're shit out of luck

>>46999731

fedora stable isn't bleeding-edge enough for him
>>
>>46998885
Hard to know where to begin there is so much wrong with it.
The interface hinders work rather than helps it. In other words it gets in the way. The interface becomes hard to ignore. Non-intuitive - no way to group apps together into any semblance of a structured menu. Too much fucking about with trying to find where the fuck you left your work
its a dogs dinner of a desktop environment and relies on too many components to make it worthwhile installing. I prefer window managers such as openbox which stay out of the way, are highly structured, light and easy to understand
>>
>>46999715
>Gnome is the biggest reason to use freetard software. It is literally years ahead other DEs.

ohlolol, I really would like what went wrong with people like this
>>
>>46999913
they are the people who would prefer windows but cant afford it and dont trust cracked copies
probably a 14 year old who wanted windows 8 but realised the word linux can make you look cool. Like in the playground "sup homies - yeah all you winfags are loozaahs cos I installed mah fucking linux bro - yeah come checkout ma gnome 3 you bitches"
>>
>>46999946
yeah. only the coolest kids install linux
>>
>>46999888
You are also opposed to systemd and are waiting for Devuan to become usable on which you will install Xfce, correct?
>>
>>46999946
>probably a 14 year old who wanted windows 8 but realised the word linux can make you look cool.

>linux, what's that?
>i-it's an operating system--
>like an iphone?
>no n-not like an iphone but t-technically s-similar since IOS6 uses uni--
>why not just use iphone then?
>>
>>46999946
I wish I could make a image meme of that post hahahah Like some kid who thinks using gnome 3 is being a leet linux user
>>
File: Age of Empires II Cover.jpg (131 KB, 591x591) Image search: [Google]
Age of Empires II Cover.jpg
131 KB, 591x591
dwm sucks way less
>>
>>46999832
took me literally 2 seconds to find a fix
sudo sed -i "/title_vertical_pad/s/value=\"[0-9]\{1,2\}\"/value=\"0\"/g" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

removes padding on title bars for all windows
>>
>>46999888
>hurr durr it doesn't behave like windows 98 copies
>muh buzzwords
>want to have an address bar in the file manager?
Ctrl + L
or
Location options > Enter Location
>want to show hidden files in the file manager?
Ctrl + H
or
Preferences > Show Hidden Files
>>
File: find a flaw.png (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
find a flaw.png
241 KB, 1920x1080
>>46999785
I like it but I am autistic.
>>
>>46999832
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dgoerger/firefox-gtk3/ + https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/collections/seleznev/gnome3/
>>
>>46999946
What are you even babbling about?

Gnome 3 is dumbed down garbage for cretins and it even is poisonous for Linux as a whole because of their retarded Gnome-apps policy.
>>
>>47000172
Perhaps the problem is not everyone else but rather you.
>>
>>47000193

This is a good answer for OP.

>Why do many people dislike Gnome 3?
>>
I hated it until I discovered Super + (Shift) + PgUp/Down and extension to remove dock and workspace thumbnails
>>
>>47000008

the only thing I oppose with systemd is binary logs by default, requiring systemd on a different system to read them, and some of the dev's response to binary log corruption being "deal with it"

fat chance for debian, I use fedora with whatever non-shit non-kde/gnome spin they're floating this release, currently MATE

>>47000061
>>hurr durr it doesn't behave like windows 98 copies

I don't care that they're forcing a new look and feel, only that basic stuff like tasks in the taskbar or even moving the taskbar are being delegated to usually incompetent add-on devs or are tucked away enough that making a different DE usable is less effort

>>want to have an address bar in the file manager?
>Ctrl + L
>or
>Location options > Enter Location

>you better hope to remember to press the non-intuitive keybind every time you launch the damn thing

>>want to show hidden files in the file manager?
>Ctrl + H
>or
>Preferences > Show Hidden Files

>well actually we'll add it back as an option on the menu because we were idiots for removing it in the first place

last time I used Gnome the only way to show hidden files was to know the stupid keybind at the time which had a meta key or to go through dconf (or go through their convoluted config file dir structure) - they recently added it back in but the fact they removed it in first place is insane

between that and the near 38 pixel tall firefox titlebar I lost interest enough to go back to something else

I've had the same issues with Gnome since they moved on from Gnome 2, every feature is just a patch away meanwhile deal with the bullshit through hacky solutions and pretend it just works out of the box
>>
>>47000217
In the case of GNOME 3 it's a case of vocal minority versus silent majority since those who don't like GNOME are more likely to make their opinion known and those who do are doing something else.
>>
because GNOME 3 is not designed for people

http://www.christoph-wickert.de/blog/2011/06/25/gnome-developer-quote-of-the-day/
>>
I use GNOME 3 because it has the best hiDPI support for high resolution monitors right now.
Most distros without hidpi look very tiny on my monitor.
>>
File: url.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
url.png
1 MB, 1600x900
They finally removed tray/message bar.
The only I feel missing now is trackpad gestures
>>
I use Gnome because I like how it's not as shit as other options out there. Yes they are retarded for removing certain options, thankfully they're slowly realizing some of that is retarded. They also need to move certain extensions into built-in functionality, like having the dock always show and being able to change its position.

Gnome 3.16's new notifications is the best thing I've seen lately

Unity botnet
KDE complete mess
xfce, Cinnamon & MATE stuck in 2k
Tiling WMs muh MSDOS
>>
>>46998885
>Why do many people dislike Gnome 3?
1. meme from pre 3.10 days
2. toasters
3. ex-Windows users
>>
>>47000332
Is it worth it to fedup to alpha? That looks sweet but I like my current OS and its not breaking.
>>
>>47000077
Odd gap between Internet Signal icon and the Tear icon.
>>
>>47000240

sure, sure keep telling that to yourself, Gnomeshill
>>
>>47000398
>That looks sweet but I like my current OS and its not breaking.

probably shouldn't try alpha then, even fedora's late state beta can have some major issues
>>
>>46998885
Here's why OP:
SJWs
Systemd
Unintuitive interface (unless you're on a tablet or phone)
>>
>>47000423
>tablet UI
Why do people keep saying this? Unless you are able to hit that tiny little corner with a stylus or something it's impossible to use with a touchscreen.
>>
At least they tried to make something different, I give them that. At the end of the day, I'd rather use Cinnamon though.
>>
File: xfce-logo.png (5 KB, 270x215) Image search: [Google]
xfce-logo.png
5 KB, 270x215
I actually quite like Gnome 3. It's extremely friendly user and beginner-friendly. But I just prefer XFCE.
>>
>>47000270

ahahaha :3
>>
Tarded newfag here. Can someone please explain to me why linux is even used at all?
>>
>>47000398
Everything works in GNOMEâ„¢ boxes VM.
But I doubt you would upgrade of install successfully.
https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/22/beta/buglist
>>
>>47000448
You have to like click two times and move around just to get to the fucking menu (without the add-ons). This is more appropriate for touch.
>>
>>47000468
I never really liked having to look down to see the time or my battery status or having to drag my mouse upward to select a window.
>>
>>47000519
or you know learn the fucking keyboard shortcuts
>>
>>47000514
>Can someone please explain to me why linux is even used at all?

Because it's not Micro$oft® Window$®
>>
>>47000554

That's what I need a GUI for, right?
>>
>>47000509
>Minimize
False
>Theme, Icons, Fonts
False
>Power management
False
>Extensions add/remove
False
>Shutdown
False

Source: Vanilla gnome (with gnome-tweak-tools) with no addons
>>
>>47000567
You're still grasping to misinformation involving Windows and the it being not a pile of shit, aren't you?
>>
>>47000554
Why not use ratpoison instead?
>>
>>47000514
Good for developers. If you aren't one, there's no reason to use it
>>
>>46998885
>dislike Gnome 3
Gnome 3 is good. Gnome shell is only useful on mobile devices though.
>>
>>47000514
Not using Windows is justification enough for not using Windows.
>>
>>47000514
99% of the software I use is available for Linux, why would I spend all my computer time on Windows when I can use a good OS. Using the Windows desktop is akin to hitting your own dick with a hammer. 7 was sorta fine, but no match to Linux DMs.
>>
>>47000588
Because ratpoison doesn't very much like touchscreens.
>>
>>47000585

>Babbling senseless stuff in a poor attempt at damage control again
>>
>>46998885
Cinnamon is so much better if you want a standard DE.
Most of /g/ tile though so fuck GNOME and it's 3 million dependencies.
>>
I like it on my laptop, but the screen tearing issue is annoying.
>>
>>47000658
You're the one who somehow forgot why Apple gained the cred it did.
>>
>>47000448

because it's either not mouse centric or goes against traditional design choices

examples being like how the titlebar is either massive or is shrunk down enough that click and drag makes more sense from a touch screen to move the thing than just mouse over title bar, click and drag - granted there's usually a key like alt that allows you to that

or stuff like how buttons are nice big fat squares because it's easier to press with a thumb, granted text for a menu was a bit awkward when most other things were using an icon but an example I can think of would be firefox moving the home/refresh etc to the right of the menu bar after years of having them on the left - because most people are right handed and use their right thumb for stuff and the right side of firefox's title bar was un-utilised for a few years - it makes sense for two handed touchscreen devices but not so much for mice

it's just little things like that which add up or were influenced from other user interfaces which integrate well with touch screens that make people think it's designed for a touch screen despite it might not working well at all on a touch screen
>>
Shit, HD is dying, will have to reinstall Linux.
I was using Ubuntu Gnome and I liked Gnome 3, but seizing the opportunity, its the moment to fry XFCE?
How can I have both?
>>
Gnome 3.16's new theme looks cute and all, but...
>What did they do to the scrollbars?
>You now have one dot menu and one hamburger menu in Nautilus
>You have to use the dot menu to switch between icons and file list
>The file list has been dumbed down one notch further
>>
>>47000679
The size of the title bar is dictated by the size of the title bar font, which by default is larger than normal not because GNOME is designed for touchscreens but because it is designed for high DPI. It's not tablet-oriented, it's going down a similar path to Mac OSX.
>>
>>47000674
>comparing OSX to Gnomeshit

>>47000722
>it's going down a similar path to Mac OSX.

Wishful thinking
>>
>>47000669
Fix your xorg config if you're on integrated graphics.
Install the official drivers if not.
>>
>>47000720
I have an intel 7 laptop and it still lags. How is that even possible?

Windows is fast, ubuntu is fast, any DE is fast besides GNOME SHELL and CINAMON
>>
>>47000704
Just use Cinnamon
>>
>>46998902
>KDE
not even once
>>
So much shitposting ITT

I used gnome 3 for a long time, it's cool and all, definitely the prettiest and most fluid Linux desktop. There are just minor irritations with it all the time, it's bug prone and I've had it need to restart or just outright lock up way more often than any other desktop environment I've used.

It also doesn't play nice with other graphically intense applications, slugging down game performance by 15 or more FPS, video playback is terrible (especially in the built-in video player, what the hell were they thinking? I can't even watch a 480P episode of the simpsons smoothly using it)

My other main gripe was the taskbar and power menu, but actually they've been OK in recent releases.

It's just any time I go back to using it, I want to like it, but it ends up being frustrating in a way my main LXDE session just isn't.
>>
>>47000722

>The size of the title bar is dictated by the size of the title bar font

which usually has a ton of whitespace padding but I was referring to earlier versions of gnome or programs that still use gtk-2 that have near 38~pix titlebars on Gnome 3 - last I checked at any rate

>It's not tablet-oriented, it's going down a similar path to Mac OSX.

I agree that it's not tablet-oriented it just looks like it is because of its influence (primarily being OSX) having good touch screen integration
>>
>>47000761
OSX also gets heat from internet people complaining about it not being WYSIWYG like Windows, only it would be foolish to assume it's designed for touchscreens since Macs aren't touchscreen so they instead cry Fisher Price.
>>
>>47000814
Adwaita doesn't have too good GTK2 support. Install Numix or another theme that guy makes and everything will look a lot less shit.
>>
>>47000814
>its influence (primarily being OSX)
Their primary influence is WebOS though.
>>
File: LG_webOS.jpg (129 KB, 765x423) Image search: [Google]
LG_webOS.jpg
129 KB, 765x423
>>47000912
>WebOS
>>
>>46998885
why does Gnome 3 look like a cheap OS X knockoff?
>>
>>46998885
It's my least favorite DE but I don't hate it. I could certainly use it get work done and have done so. Shit I have a Gnome install on Fedora that's fucking beautiful. Got the satya elegance colors and tweaked out the ass font rendering making my shit look tighter than OSX.

It's just that the metaphor feels constrictive to me. I don't know if this is my own unique arrangement of neurons or it's a valid beef. Something about the bars on the top and bottom (yes I like to minimize shit and see where shit is when it's minimized) makes me ultimately feel like all my shit is squeezed into a vise.

Traditional desktop metaphors whether it's KDE, Cinnamon or XFCE don't give me this same feeling of claustrophobia.

It's not terrible at all, wouldn't motherfuck an non for liking it (unlike unity where you can choke on cocks and die) but it's just not for me.
>>
>>47000995
Because Apple strives to take in good ideas and make them look nice.
>>
File: cards_webos.jpg (85 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
cards_webos.jpg
85 KB, 600x450
>>47000930
Try the HP version, faglord, it's a bit higher in the google image results.
>b-but the dock is on the bottom side!
>>
>>47001047
It still looks nothing like GNOME.
>>
>>47001057

are you blind by any chance?
>>
>>47001101
The top bar is completely off, search bars like that have existed long before the Chrome homepage let alone GNOME, cards window management was a Compiz feature, and that dock is more Android than it is GNOME. I'm not blind but you may be.
>>
Things wrong with GNOME listed in this thread:
1. It doesn't work like other DE
2. I can't configure it to work like other DE
3. Too many addons to make it work like other DE
4. It doesn't ship with all the tools to make it work like other DE
5. Clicking on things is ineffective so it is probably touch oriented
6. My hardware is not supported
7. 1366 x 768 can't fit it
8. UI is not edgy enough so it is probably OSX ripoff
9. It's too easy to use = bloat = go back to windows
10. it is not made for people
>>
>>47000582
>sudo sed -i "/title_vertical_pad/s/value=\"[0-9]\{1,2\}\"/value=\"0\"/g" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
the fuck. you can minimize. all you do is go to setting and add it. so many people don't know this for some reason. an dit's not an extension that does it.
>>
>>47001264
Doesn't being able to see all the windows in the overview defeat the purpose of minimizing in the first place?
>>
>>47000797
I was like this before trying 5
>>
>>47001324
My Plasma 5 first impressions:
>Oh wow it's pretty
>Ok I need a dark theme tho
>MMh ok it's still not that bad
>Random glitching everywhere
>Crash
>Crash
>Can't click on any panel
Ok back to xcfe..
>>
>>47001342
When was it? It's still in beta, but latest versions are actually stable
>>
>>47001173
>7. 1366 x 768 can't fit it
Pleb here. Please explain.
>>
>>46998885
it's designed to be used on a tablet. it looks okay and works okay, but doesn't by any means optimize between what's conventional and what's functional. its design stands apart from the philosophies of gnu/linux/unix (mostly because it's not modular, and lists a number of reprehensible hard dependencies). it's also a ram hog.
>>
File: 7.png (9 KB, 292x31) Image search: [Google]
7.png
9 KB, 292x31
Are there any linux desktop environments that have a Windows 7 style taskbar?

Program launch buttons that become window tabs for that program when you open them. I just like how organized everything stays.
>>
>>47001481
KDE
>>
>>47001481
That's just a dock you're describing.
KDE, Unity, Gnome3 all fit the bill.
>>
You can't rice it.
>>
>>47001452
It's not fucking designed for a tablet. Pretty much everything about your post is stereotypical of a retarded Debian user.
>>
File: macBAN.png (63 KB, 1179x203) Image search: [Google]
macBAN.png
63 KB, 1179x203
>>47001654
>he doesn't think it's designed for a tablet

http://worldofgnome.org/yes-gnome3-did-a-good-deal-with-touch-screens/
http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2014/06/29/mypaint-wacom-screen-tablet-gnome3-%E2%99%A5/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/08/gnome-os-plans-detailed/
https://www.gnome.org/news/2013/03/gnome-3-8-jon-mccann-talks-of-future-in-gnome/
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen

also pretty much everything about your post is stereotypical of a butthurt fa/g/got
>>
>>47001645
you can but they keep on changing everything making theme creators upset as fuck
>>
>>47001797
http://empirenews.net/microsoft-founder-bill-gates-comes-out-as-homosexual/
>>
>>47000509
>modifiert key to shutdown
Who thought that this would be a good idea?
>huge title bar
Almost puked when I noticed it.
>>
To he honest I hated it at first. But them it grew on me. 3.14 is pretty smooth.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.