[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally doing it /g/. It's a beautiful machine.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: yosemitepromo.jpg (113 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
yosemitepromo.jpg
113 KB, 770x433
I'm finally doing it /g/. It's a beautiful machine.

What distro should I install with my beautiful unix-like OS?
>>
>>46898298
>>>/facebook/
>>>/toy
>>>/soc/
>>>/fa/
>>>/hm/
>>>/lgbt/
Fuck off.
>>
There's no need to install any flavor of Loonix when you have OS X.
>>
Got a retina one too, it's great.
>>
>>46898324
>raw computing power is the only thing that matters in laptops
>except for ricing your desktop
>>
>>46898298
Why would you use anything else than OSX on an Apple computer?
>>
>>46898298
>Get a XPS
>Install OSX
>Save 500$
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
Ignore typical /g/ neckbeard shit. It's a great machine and you are making no mistake. The fact that you come to this board alone shows that you're not buying a $1200 facebook machine.

/g/ is just mad because they're either too poor to afford it, or think their shitty $100 plastic chinkpads are actually good machines. Enjoy your looks of disgust and virginity you fucking neckbears
>>
>>46898376
Me too. Yosemite is dog shit though, performance wise. Especially for developers.
>>
Fedora
>>
>>46898406
this
>>
Where can I buy a $300 macbook
>>
>>46898426

no where?
>>
OSX is the best supported Unix-like OS and most battery optimized. Rest easy and use an amazing computer as intended.

Welcome to the club.
>>
>>46898298
Lubuntu. Its quick
>>
>>46898378
Not even him, but what the fuck does that even have to do with his post?
It's like you already knew everything wrong with your own post and as soon as someone replied with anything but praises you spilled it out.
>>
>>46898410

>think their shitty $100 plastic chinkpads are actually good machines

They ARE good machines. They aren't powerful by modern standards, but they offer features which literally no other machine offers. Can you swap out a HDD on a Macbook? Can you replace a keyboard? Can you upgrade the RAM? Can you even replace the battery?

The 2009ish Thinkpads are getting old, but they have some features which NO other laptop offers. The $1000 savings and great design make the looks of disgust worth it, and in reality it's more than $1000 because of the ease of repair.
>>
>>46898410
Actually I don't buy one because it has fuckhuge bezels and I can afford something better. But keep being mad about what other people buy and posting le epic glass drink maymay.
>>
>>46898426
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText&_sacat=0&_udlo=0&_udhi=300&_nkw=macbook&_dcat=111422&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_stpos
>>
>>46898871

No. Android is the most battery-optimized. I would also say Ubuntu is similarly well-supported, but that's debatable.

And this is nitpicking, but OS X isn't Unix-like. It's Unix.
>>
>>46898997
Well Android is definitely the one making the most efforts to have good battery life, but to go as far as to call Linux running a Solaris VM to run Java apps "the most battery-optimized"...
>>
File: 12.jpg (37 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
37 KB, 480x270
>Apple
>>
>>46899023

That's true. The kernel has a number of improvements, though, which haven't been included in Linux.

So I'll amend what I said earlier: the Android kernel is the most battery-optimized even if the rest of Android is worse. The Android kernel with a proper UI written in C++ would probably be the best.
>>
Meh, I like my MacBook. Of course, I only use it for school work, but it's fine for that. Great battery life, high res screen, decent OS (prefer it over W8 on my desktop). Couldn't find anything else that had a great screen and battery life in that form factor. The only problem is now I look like one of those Apple loving faggots. Oh well.
OP, just go with Arch or something if you really need something more functional than OS X.
>>
>>46898966
>and I can afford something better.
sure you can
>>
>>46898324
/fa/ is better than this
>>
>>46898324
MacBooks aren't /fa/
>>
>>46899135
>if you don't buy my favorite toy you're poor!
Ok kid.
>>
>>46899170
>Sent from my StinkPad
:^)
>>
File: Bebe.jpg (36 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
Bebe.jpg
36 KB, 604x453
>>46898298
OSX.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.