[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >want to learn to program games >friends tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: Unity_3D_logo.png (17 KB, 327x180) Image search: [Google]
Unity_3D_logo.png
17 KB, 327x180
>be me
>want to learn to program games
>friends tell me to first learn python
>then learn C# and make games in unity
> I download unity
>Its just throwing a bunch on premade assets
> together?!
I don't know /G/, when I said I wanted to make games I figured I would be coding everything from scratch. I diddnt realize all these big name programs people use are just copy pasting other peoples work onto objects to make a game. Why is this a thing? How many people out there make games and dont know anything about it. Obviously I cant listen to my friends about this, What do I do, I'm thinking I should learn C# and use something like monogame to code.
>>
Why reinvent the wheel when you can just pay for let's say an AI system someone has already implemented? It's just saving time and money.
>>
>>46868837
I just figured you people did this for fun, To be able to dynamically solve hurdles in making your game and slowly watch your creation come out of nothing but hard work and knowledge of coding, I'm just sort of dissapointed is all
>>
>be me

[-]
>>
>>46868877
In a hobby project, yes. In a production environment, time and money are of essence. People do both. Also, doesn't hurt to disassemble someone's implementation of a system to see how it works and maybe improve your own.
>>
>>46869067
I was under the impression that unity was more for hobbyists that want to learn though, is that not true?
>>
>>46869214
it's not like you can't make your game from scratch.
>>
>>46868781
Had to redo a total graphical engine from scratch using ray tracing, and I am telling you that you don't want to do it by yourself.

It was a school project btw, didn't do that for fun
>>
>>46868781
Try Lua/Love2d, very straightforward, but it also gives you a decent amount of control
>>
>>46869258
That's what I want to know, unity seems like it's more oriented towards using prefab assets, if I'm wanting to code from scratch should I jump ship and go to a different program for C# or C++?
>>
>>46869326
Yup, was done totally in c, we were a group of 6 and it took 2-3 month
>>
if you want to write your own engine have fucking fun.
I'm working with unreal engine 4.
does all the boring shit for me.
>>
>>46869295
unity also gives you a lot of control, i think what op wants to do is reinvent the wheel for the 1209831290381092381209th time
aka >>46869242
>>
>>46869303
listen faget, even making whole game using only assets isn't easy, AT ALL, and making your own game from scratch is mission impossible for new guy

Go ahead, try making all asset game and see it for yourself
>>
File: minray.png (217 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
minray.png
217 KB, 512x512
>>46869345
>raytracing
>hard
>group of 6 and it took 2-3 month

#include <stdlib.h>   // card > aek.ppm
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>
typedef int i;typedef float f;struct v{
f x,y,z;v operator+(v r){return v(x+r.x
,y+r.y,z+r.z);}v operator*(f r){return
v(x*r,y*r,z*r);}f operator%(v r){return
x*r.x+y*r.y+z*r.z;}v(){}v operator^(v r
){return v(y*r.z-z*r.y,z*r.x-x*r.z,x*r.
y-y*r.x);}v(f a,f b,f c){x=a;y=b;z=c;}v
operator!(){return*this*(1/sqrt(*this%*
this));}};i G[]={247570,280596,280600,
249748,18578,18577,231184,16,16};f R(){
return(f)rand()/RAND_MAX;}i T(v o,v d,f
&t,v&n){t=1e9;i m=0;f p=-o.z/d.z;if(.01
<p)t=p,n=v(0,0,1),m=1;for(i k=19;k--;)
for(i j=9;j--;)if(G[j]&1<<k){v p=o+v(-k
,0,-j-4);f b=p%d,c=p%p-1,q=b*b-c;if(q>0
){f s=-b-sqrt(q);if(s<t&&s>.01)t=s,n=!(
p+d*t),m=2;}}return m;}v S(v o,v d){f t
;v n;i m=T(o,d,t,n);if(!m)return v(.7,
.6,1)*pow(1-d.z,4);v h=o+d*t,l=!(v(9+R(
),9+R(),16)+h*-1),r=d+n*(n%d*-2);f b=l%
n;if(b<0||T(h,l,t,n))b=0;f p=pow(l%r*(b
>0),99);if(m&1){h=h*.2;return((i)(ceil(
h.x)+ceil(h.y))&1?v(3,1,1):v(3,3,3))*(b
*.2+.1);}return v(p,p,p)+S(h,r)*.5;}i
main(){printf("P6 512 512 255 ");v g=!v
(-6,-16,0),a=!(v(0,0,1)^g)*.002,b=!(g^a
)*.002,c=(a+b)*-256+g;for(i y=512;y--;)
for(i x=512;x--;){v p(13,13,13);for(i r
=64;r--;){v t=a*(R()-.5)*99+b*(R()-.5)*
99;p=S(v(17,16,8)+t,!(t*-1+(a*(R()+x)+b
*(y+R())+c)*16))*3.5+p;}printf("%c%c%c"
,(i)p.x,(i)p.y,(i)p.z);}}
>>
>>46869406
>>46869406
I see what you're saying but shouldn't I at least try to learn it myself before using prefab assets?
>>
>>46869214
It is a very popular engine for mobile games.
>>
File: 2015-02-26-1726-31.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-26-1726-31.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>46869464
Unity lets you do that. However, it also offers stuff like a premade character controller and marketplace for people who don't want to.
>>
>>46868781
Did you learn to code in Python and C#?
If you start with Python you can try making a simple 2d Python game. That's what my university encouraged us to do anyway. This website has a lot of basic examples you can pull apart: pygame.org
>>
File: ray_tracer_.jpg (57 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ray_tracer_.jpg
57 KB, 1920x1080
>>46869426
That's what it looked like, it was only a static image and this one took like 20 mins to generate, because all calculations were done on the cpu
>>
game programming is literally the apotheosis of computer wizardry
3d game engine programming more specifically
you need linear algebra, you need to know your way around a graphics API like opengl, you need to know a WHOLE LOT of algorithms and data structures so you're not running 12,000,000 computations per frame, you need excellent project management skills, and that's just scratching the surface
it's a very strenuous and educational experience which in my opinion is completely worth it
>>
>>46869516
Try doing calculations on gpu in c without external libs ( we couldn't use any) and after that I will listen
>>
>>46869494
I did learn a little python, I think that's what I'll do
>>
many ps1 and ps2 games were written from scratch, so while graphically they were ok (considering the hardware they were running on) the game engines were all different and so the games were also different and unique, there was alot of innovation.
>>
>>46868781
Unity is the go to engine for people who don't know how to program but want to make videogames. If you wanted to make a game from scratch pretty much any other engine besides RPGmaker would be better for you.
>>
>>46868781
Here's another shockers, OP: most vehicles on the road are just improvements upon last year's model.
>>
>>46869417
Yeah because your code looks like it's doing pretty much nothing, except doing two printf
>>
>>46869678
The ones made by big companies are, but what If I want to learn how to build my own car and then have a sense of satisfaction when I drive it?
>>
File: 1422451158019.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1422451158019.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
OP thinks he can create his own engine. That's rich.
>>
I know nothing about this subject, but I want to parrot something I heard, just in case it makes sense. Go to videogame moding communities where people do shit for fun, and see if you have somthing to do/ learn in there. Also most popular "pro" engines are unreal and cryengine.
>>
>>46869730
but did you build the parts from metal you mined and melted?
>>
After reading all these replies, What do I actually code from scratch when it comes to unity? or is it literally all just premade assets?
>>
File: 1421699805054 (1).jpg (699 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
1421699805054 (1).jpg
699 KB, 800x1130
>>46869786
OP thought he would be building a game using a game engine, not copypastaing code.
Unity comes with pre-coded modules, just add graphics.
>>
>>46868877
but no one is stopping you from doing it all from scratch. not everyone can build a car, some people just want to drive
>>
File: 876px-Quake_-_family_tree_2.svg.png (152 KB, 876x900) Image search: [Google]
876px-Quake_-_family_tree_2.svg.png
152 KB, 876x900
>>46869678
Here's another mind-blower: for a long time, most of the PC FPS games were essentially modifications of an Id or Epic game.

>>46869730
Like I don't know. if you wanna program something, then go program something. If you just want a game, then use unity. Either way, you'll probably get bored halfway through and end up with a mediocre piece of garbage, just like most people who take up "game programming" for fun. Pro tip: it's not that fun.
>>
>>46869844
I can't believe somebody here understands what i'm saying, I dont want to program an engine, but I want to do atleast SOME programming. It just seems like you could go through unity and make an entire game by just using different assets
>>
Please OP this is just throwing around words.
If you actually want to make a decent game you can't copy and paste all your code.
Implying there is a solution for every problem you encounter.
>>
>>46869896
But you CAN program in Unity. What's stopping you?
>>
>>46868781

Ok, so I'm studying this at college, currently, as part of the Computing degree. OP, a game engine takes about 6 months to create from scratch with a team of highly skilled, experienced programmers. Then there's licencing issues in so much as getting your engine registered to use a platform (Epic Games paid ~$600,000 per platform for this).
Unless you are really, really, really experienced in coding and are prepared to give up maybe 2 years of your life to develop a working game engine and get it licenced, (this is before you even get an alpha for a game working) you're far better going with a prebuilt engine, like Unity or Unreal.
Knowing the core fundamentals of C# is useful and a great skill to have (that can be used to develop mobile, desktop and web apps very easily), as is knowing any programming language.
>>
>>46869964
This is the first comment to actually explain why I'm wrong, I just have all these fun ideas for simple games and I was dissapointed when It seemed like unity is just copy/paste. If I can even partially code game Its better than nothing right?
>>
>>46869997
Again OP
>>46869945
Which also explains why there's a full blown coding tutorial on the Unity website
>>
>>46869556
Head over to /vg/ and find the agdg (amateur game dev general). I really wouldn't post any golden ideas you have if you're worried about lifting, but despite that they have some good resources and you can seek advice there or on stackexchange.

You have a long way to go for game making, but it's so worth it, just keep at it without making yourself get sick of it or taking so much time off that your learning slides to the back of your mind and you get out of the groove.

Anyway, you may enjoy The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, I'm reading through it now, it has tons of great tidbits, though you'll probably find some things that seemed obvious, but may have been hard to put into words previously.

But while python is a wonderful language, I wouldn't invest too deeply in it, it's a high level scripting language and while it has some support in panda3d and pygame, those are more-or-less dead compared to platforms like unity, unreal4 and possibly soon source2.

These and others are fully-made engines, ready to go with some tweaks and changes from you. The problem with development in python is unless you make your own engine, with easy tools to use, you're going to be spending a lot of time to get games up and running, with slow iteration because you must close the game to rewrite code every time, it can be done.. but it's slow.
You're better off using a premade engine, you may find usefulness in python in creating simple simulations/tests for larger projects though.
>>
>>46868781
Opening a window, creating a rendering context, playing audio and grabbing input in a cross-platform is a lot of work. And that's without handling all the edge cases. Engines like Unity take care of that.

But if that stuff sounds like fun to you (it is, in it's own way) learn C/C++.
>>
>>46869997

You are able to alter some of the code, Unity includes MonoDevelop with the engine, though, if Visual Studio is more your thing, there are free add ons for VS that will let you link Unity to it. Unreal Engine 4 does this automatically.
These engines are really powerful and they offer so much to you that means you don't have to touch the code if you don't want to, but you are able to if that is your preference.
>>
Why not learning c++ and using a bunch of libraries like ogre3d, openal, bullet?
>>
>>46869464
you're free to do that.
I heard a lot of the unity presets are shit anyway.
>>
>>46868781
Why are you not using UE4
>>
>>46870892
>not using source 2
>>
i had the exact same feeling
>>
>>46870892
It's 19$ a month and im not even sure I want to do this, It just seems like a wasted investment.
>>
>>46870954
it's free dawg
>>
>>46870954
just got released for free nigga. Way better than unity in my experience, your milege may vary.
>>
>>46868781
I know your feel OP. just do something simple and when your ready to move on get a book on c# game dev or look up something on youtube to get a fell for it
>>
>>46869292
What was this for a cs degree? This sounds awful.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.