[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lenovo Y50 vs MacBook Pro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
File: open.665.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1667) Image search: [Google]
open.665.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1667
Hello /g/
I really need your help seriously. I need to buy a new laptop but I havent decided yet.

Im going to use it for:
Editing videos
A lot of stuff from Adobe (ilustrator, photoshop)
College homeworks

I still havent decided yet between these two because i quite dont understand the specifications. Im mentioning the Lenovo because Im quite a gamer and having a laptop that perfoms games like these one is cool, though I dont know how is going to perform for the stuff that i mention. And the Macbook pro is here because I know its good for the stuff i want, but sadly there arent many games for Mac.

If someone can help me to choose with a good argument any of these two, Ill be grateful. This is serious please!
>>
The mac doesn't have malware pre-installed, so buy that if these are your only two choices.
>>
>>46808187
what do you mean by malware pre-installed? Sorry for the ignorance.
>>
>>46808190
Lenovo has literally been installing malware to deliver targeted ads that had the side effect of leaving you vulnerable to a man in the middle attack. Seriously.
>>
Just buy the mac. Even hackintoshing the lenovo wouldn't make you happy as a macbook can do you.
>>
>>46808309
Whether that's a problem depends on if OP is comfortable with installing Windows from a clean copy (or giving Lenovo a cent.)
>>
Are you clumsy and like to stare at the computer instead of using it? Mac by far. Do you like actually getting things done with above average hardware? y50. Keep in mind the y50's dedicated gpu is more powerful than the xbone.
>>
>>46808167
>laptop
>video editing
>>
>>46808348
OP here, Im doing my research rn. Didnt know bout the superfish stuff. So sad, I really liked the Y50, now im afraid.
>>
File: 1424737027319.png (318 KB, 767x786) Image search: [Google]
1424737027319.png
318 KB, 767x786
>>46808187
But it does.
>>
>>46808387
>playing games manchild now qualifies as getting things done
>>
The y50 sucks though. get a clevo based barebones. Mine is the w230ss
>>
>>46808392
You know u can do that in a good laptop, right?
>>
>>46808167
>Editing videos

every fucking retard under the sun says this

get a fucking mobile workstation if you want to edit video

if you don't, get a regular laptop
>>
Guys, im going to get the laptop tomorrow and I can spend 1100 prox. If you consider another one better than these two, comment the model so i can look at it.
>>
>>46808387
>the y50's dedicated gpu is more powerful than the xbone.
wow, it's more powerful than tablet hardware
>>
File: Dell_M3800_angle_opt620.jpg (47 KB, 620x401) Image search: [Google]
Dell_M3800_angle_opt620.jpg
47 KB, 620x401
An M3800. :^)
>>
Could everyone stop bitching and start helping? I know im in 4chan but come on.
Focus on a laptop where I can use Adobe without problems and play videogames.
>>
>>46808410
If you want to work over a heatlamp
>>
>>46808425
If you aren't getting a laptop with a desktop chip don't get one at all, why do you need a laptop for video editing?
>>
File: 1424490765307.png (197 KB, 988x802) Image search: [Google]
1424490765307.png
197 KB, 988x802
>>46808344
Don't forget to calculate the home owner's insurance and life insurance if you buy a mac.
>>
This is the one i'm using: $940 for i7 and $875 for i5
http://web.eurocom.com/ec/ec_model_config1(1,249,0)x

with 10% off coupon code: EUROCOM-GLJ-M410-150228

It has the same specs as the y50 except with a smaller, much better screen.
>>
>>46808468
Im stupid cause i didnt understand a shit.
>>
>>46808495
Here, allow me to summarize:
>$2000 for the same performance as a $300 HP craptop
>100+ degrees celcius
>painful slow fiery death
>your videos will still take 2 weeks to encode
>>
>>46808518
Forget the videos. Just need to use it for Ilustrator, Photoshop and that.

Still, if I dont choose a mac without hesitation its because the possibility of having a gaming laptop its tempting me a lot. Tell me your opinion.
>>
>>46808190
Literally doesn't matter since MS already released definition updates in Windows Defender to detect and remove it.

Turn on laptop, update Windows, done.
>>
>>46808495
apple are throttling the cpus in macbooks so they don't overheat
putting muh design over performance
but honestly most mac faggots don't do more than browse facebook and write their shitty novellas so they wouldn't notice
>>
>>46808387
I would agree about the mac part, but with the PC part I'd recommend looking around more. The Asus Zenbook, Dell XPS 15 and Samsung Ativ Book 9 could also be good choices over a Mac.
>>
>>46808167
Hey guys, a friend just told me that 4g of ram is crap. The macbook pro comes with 4gb and the lenovo with 8gb

Your move.
>>
>>46808892
stop being stupid and build a desktop and get a cheap netbook/tablet w/ keyboard for mobile.
>>
Y50 series has a shit keyboard.
Trackpad is also clickpad dogshit.

Just don't, It will play the lastest games at decent settings at high framerates but the build quality is just just horrible and the battery life will suck ass.
>>
>>46809004
I can't believe I'm saying this but if those are the only choices you are considering go for the Macbook Pro.
>>
Is a Chromebook running loonix a good choice for a CS class at a community college? I just want an associates in CS just so I can get a job repairing computers at shitty shops and not have to struggle to get employed and beg them to take my word for it that I know what I am doing, I need something cheap to get me through it. I only fear them wanting me to have Windows for some god damn reason.
>>
>>46808892
Not many people need more than 4gb.
>>
File: RAMlets when will they learn.png (572 KB, 915x678) Image search: [Google]
RAMlets when will they learn.png
572 KB, 915x678
>>46809058
>>
>>46808187
>Buy lelnovo-branded laptop (thinkpads do not count here as they never had Superfish)
>Backup OEM certificate(xrm-ms) and key.
>Install clean Windows 7/8 edition (unless if the laptop came with 8 single language)
>Restore certificate+key to preserve activation
>Profit
>>
>>46809031
Don't get a Chromebook to run linux. Been there, done that. Way more trouble than its worth to have an laptop with bad build quality and a retarded keyboard. If you specifically need a very cheap laptop with very good battery life, it is worth it. Otherwise, old thinkpad.
>>
>>46808167
Get the Lenovo Y50 then do a fresh install of windows. Lenovo has been bad about their pre-installed programs like superfish shit.
>>
>>46809096
I really don't want to carry around something heavy, but I might just have to use an old as shit and heavy laptop where I am going. I am so going to mugged on the way to or from the campus.
>>
K I'm going now but I have a Y510p and I can say for a fact that the Y series has shit build shit keyboards shit trackpads shit cooling and shit battery life, buy only if you want to play games and are on a budget.
>>
>>46809102
Who the fuck these days doesn't have a clean Windows ISO with MSDN verified SHA1?
>>
File: Capture.png (92 KB, 735x819) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
92 KB, 735x819
>>
>>46808167
One has shitty build quality and battery life and comes with spyware pre-installed

the other is a MacBook Pro
>>
>>46809152
all of them have fuckawfull keyboards. Not one keyboard feels nice and rigid, they are all floppy pieces of shit!
>>
>>46809345
Nice meme.
>>
>>46809335
>One has shitty recycled beer can build quality and horrid performance outside Facebook and comes with a crippled OS pre-installed

>the other is a PC

Fixed.
>>
>>46809136
it's becoming harder over time, as MS has withdrawn their sites (at least for W7). And torrents are becoming hard to download because no seeds.
>>
>>46809416
>crippled OS
>comes with full disk encryption support, something Windows does not include on non-enterprise licenses
Which one is crippled again?
>>
>>46809423
>most used desktop OS on the planet
>no seeds

u wot m8
>>
>>46809534
The one with the 30 year old filesystem duct taped to the kernel just like every other sloppily implemented and slow features it offers.

But keep crying yourself to sleep and telling you aren't a retard for buying a piece of shit $500 computer with a $1500 fruit logo on the lid.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/12/
>>
>>46809423
>MS has withdrawn their sites
You can download it if you insert a product code still. Either way, always nice to have a copy saved locally.
>>
Not OP but I don't want to create another "help me choose a laptop" thread. Please excuse me, OP.

So I've got about 1300 bucks to spend on a new laptop. I was planning on getting a Macbook Air. I heard that they were nicer than the Pros anyway but apparently that's compared to the non-retina Pros. Everyone seems to cum when you mention rMBP so I was considering one of them since the base model is 1300 dollars though it only has a 128GB SSD. If I go for the Air I can get 8 gigs of RAM and a 256 GB SSD for the same price.

What would you recommend, denizens of /g/? The Air or the Pro? Honestly I won't be doing a whole hell of a lot with it that's really taxing so the Air should be just fine. I'm only wondering about the Pro since the base model is so close in price to the Air I plan to get anyway. 128GB SSD just seems a bit small though, and I can't stretch an extra 100 dollars to upgrade the rMBP SSD at the moment; I'd have to wait a bit longer and my current laptop is literally falling apart now, I'm not sure how much longer it'll hold out.

Also, how long does it usually take for them to build custom orders?
>>
>>46809534

Just ignore the kids, they show up every time you mention Apple or Mac.
>>
>>46809608
Just buy a hotplate and save yourself $1250.
>>
>>46809636

Already got one; I told you it's falling apart, didn't I?
>>
>>46809608
what do you want to do with it?

also wait a month for the new ones.
>>
>>46809631
How about you fags just fuck off back to reddit where you belong instead of shitting up a technology board with shiny dumbed down toys?
>>
File: zenbook-UX305.jpg (390 KB, 2480x1754) Image search: [Google]
zenbook-UX305.jpg
390 KB, 2480x1754
>>46809608
>not getting an actual premium laptop that isn't made from tin cans
>>
>>46809654

Like I said, not too much. Browsing, video viewing on occasion, emulate games that would run on an old toaster (and occasionally a PSX game or something).

What's this about new ones? Do we actually know when they're coming now? I've been hearing rumors for awhile now but nothing concrete. If the rumors are true, I've no interest in the 12 inch Air.
>>
>>46809680
if you want a 13 inch air, get one soon then.
>>
>>46809657

You remind me of when I was 14. I used to bash Apple mindlessly too. Give it 5-10 years, you'll calm down.
>>
>>46809694
>You remind me of when I was 14.
So yesterday.
>>
>>46809691

That's what I was thinking; I was worried about them entirely replacing them when the 12 inches came out. Not like I couldn't get one from Amazon or something but I wouldn't be able to upgrade it. Think I will just go for an Air, it's all I really need.
>>
>>46809708
ecks dee
>>
>>46809708

>The eternally beaten joke; constantly used by those bereft of any imagination.
>>
>>46809694
>I used to bash Apple mindlessly too.
>mindlessly bashing anything with no reason

Good to know you were a moron then and are a bigger moron now.

Apple is a literal cancer upon the industry and so are their products. All bashing here has been justified. Where do you think you are, a technology enthusiast board or MacRumors?
>>
>>46809750

Whatever kid. Have your fun, it's not like I can stop you from being a prat on the internet.
>>
>>46809657
I've never posted on reddit

and this is our site now :^)
>>
>>46809765
>coming from the retard that admits to mindlessly bashing things to be cool

Nice cop out retard. Bashing things mindlessly and turning around and mindlessly supporting it doesn't make you anything other than a tool.
>>
>>46809136
>tfw got edu address but they hide the OSes behind a "college" wall where you have to prove you are enrolled in a computer science related course to get them
>the server OSes are available to all EDU email holders
>download legit Sever 2012
>convert to workstation
http://www.win2012workstation.com/

More assuring than using DAZ. A bit cumbersome, but knowing it's legit and clean is a good feeling.
>>
I have a lenovo y50 and it is superior to a rMBP in pretty much every way with two major exceptions.

Incredibly shit battery life. Like 90 minutes with optimus disabled. Even if you switch off the nvidia you wont be going untethered for more than 4 hours at a time.

Disgusting pig shit terrible aspect ratio of 16:9. Seriously, this pencil shaped display will want to make you vomit every time you look at it. The macbook will have a glorious 16:10 screen that you will actually have room to work on. Holy shit is it hard to work with. You can't hardly fit ANYTHING on the screen.

I would personally reccommend getting the UHD touchscreen option since the 1080p version is apparently relatively low quality according to reviews and touchscreens are hard to switch away from once you get used to them, even on a non-tablet. Do not that you will not be able to game at 4k with hardly anything at 4k and you will be locked at 48hz even with lower resolutions. If you you think 4k is overkill, get the HP omen instead. If you have any other questions I'll stick around for a few minutes.
>>
>>46809788
Who said he mindlessly supports Apple? There are completely valid reasons to own a Mac, you'd know this if you ever left your mom's basement and stopped watching your vietnamese cartoons.
>>
>>46809788

>Calling him an idiot for being stupid as a teenager.

Teenagers do stupid things? Stop the fucking presses. Not even that guy but no one here ever mentioned mindlessly supporting them. Just because you like certain things about a company or its products doesn't mean you support them, or support them completely. As an example I quite enjoy quite a slew of Nintendo games, even more than ever now since they still make actual video games (something that's becoming more and more scarce) but hate the company itself. Yes I know, it seems complicated and weird that a person doesn't completely hate or completely love something but hey it happens. Someday you may even experience it yourself.
>>
>>46809825
>There are completely valid reasons to own a Mac

None of which matter to the OP who wants an all-purpose machine for school, video editing, and games. So why don't you fuck off 4chan and shill elsewhere.
>>
>this thread

a 
>>
>>46809608

Could always get the 256 GB SSD model from the education store for 1400 dollars, apparently they never check if you're a really a student or not online. Not sure what'd happen if they caught you in a lie while you were asking for tech support. You might need to pay the difference before you get help or you may get none at all.
>>
>>46810214
>paying 1400 dollars
>for a literal toaster
>>
>>46808425

WAIT. Y50 is getting a refresh soon. Better IPS 1080p screen and 960m. Wait a month.
>>
>>46808187
>le preinstalled malware meme
Just wipe the HDD and install fresh OS, it's not that fucking hard. I thought /g/ does that by default?
>>
>>46810629
>I thought /g/ does that by default?
We do, it's just marketers from other brands using the superfish scare as an opportunity to try and sell more of their shitty computers.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (323 KB, 751x906) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
323 KB, 751x906
>>46810629
Literally a non-issue.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.