[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/ This is gonna sound really cliché, but i want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: front_v_back.jpg (109 KB, 679x1000) Image search: [Google]
front_v_back.jpg
109 KB, 679x1000
Alright /g/

This is gonna sound really cliché, but i want to take an education in developing web-sites, apps and other media.
I'm not "into" computers so to say, i use them and that's it. I can't code or anything, but i really want to learn it.
So i'm looking around and stumbling upon front-end and back-end programming as the way to split up this kind of media-programming or whatever you like to call it.

Where's the money at? I'd consider myself a creative person, and front-end programming sounds like my cup of tea, but if there's no money in it, i might as well not. To turn it around, is back-end programming the way to go or will i be bored if i'd like to create something visible? The way i understand it, it's all about stuff you can't see.

I guess you /g/entlemen knows a lot about the industry as i take it most of you are working with computers and programming on a daily basis, so any input would be appreciated. Keep in mind, i'm in no way into computers, so this post might be laughable.

Pic related i guess, came up when googling front-end vs. back-end
>>
>>46796870
If you can't interest yourself in at least one layer beneath the one you are working with, you won't pass mediocrity - ever.
>>
A lot of GNU/Linux software could do with some front end developers. There really isn't one sometimes which is why you get some pretty counter-intuitive stuff.
>>
>Backend is 99% of /g/ and a autistic fucktard
>>
There's certainly money in frontend development, the issue usually being for every 1 frontend position there's at least 10 backend.
>>
The money is nowhere for people like you.

There are thousands of people who have spent hours every day working on this kind of shit since they were kids, then went to college for it. To think you can just come and grab a load of cash because you want to is laughable.
>>
File: 1353875564965.jpg (22 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
1353875564965.jpg
22 KB, 285x285
>>46797325
>Those fucking lifestyle descriptions.
>>
>>46796870
>MongoDB
>Angular

stopped reading there--oh you have a post with that bullshit

> i want to take an education in developing web-sites, apps and other media.
hahaha what. is that English?

>I'm not "into" computers so to say
hahaha

>Where's the money at?
hahahahahaha

> if there's no money in it, i might as well not.
cunt.

> so this post might be laughable.
yep.

my advice: go fuck yourself. :)
>>
if you're not "into" computers, good luck finding money. you won't be able to compete.
>>
>Not into computers
>Can't code for shit
>creativity orientated
What the faggot op didn't know was he was already a web dev.
>>
I'm learning HTML/CSS/JS at the moment and it's not too bad. Once you get the hang of CSS selectors the rest comes easy with repetition. JS is a little harder but it's starting to make sense to me slowly.

I started as someone who knew absolutely nothing about it a couple of months ago.
>>
>>46797381
Meant to quote OP
>>
>>46797386
>>46797406
i wanna be an ideas guy
therefore i receive more money than others
>>
>>46797389
He can get second rate jobs or freelance without being a nerd. But yeah, if you're competing with a full nerd for a software engineer position, nerds will hire nerds over non-nerds every time.

Source: I'm a nerd, and work at a company who's valuation has doubled since I joined 5 months ago
>>
OP here, thanks for everyone posting serious answers. For the other people, no i'm not native english speaker so i might write some strange things.

Also, for the people telling me i can't do shit because i'm not into computers: I'm plannig to get into computers of course, why else would i take a computer-reltaed education? I'm planning on devoting a lot of time to learn and understand. Am i still fucked unless i started when i was 5 or what are you saying? Also, i'm not looking to get rich, just to find a proper job really.
>>
>>46797494
listen to me. you can do whatever the fuck you want. but you have to start now. The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. its perfectly fine to start now. if you apply yourself within 2 years or so , you'll have a job
>>
>>46797494
>Am i still fucked unless i started when i was 5
I'll give you some general guidelines:
>older than 22 but less than 28
probably
>younger or equal to 22
No
>28 or over
yes definitely
>>
>>46797494
You will be able to achieve mediocrity simply enough but when you consider I've been at this since I was a wee babby, you won't be competition ready for quite some time, but there are plenty of scraps to go around.

There will always be a place in tech support, for some reason they love people with no IT backgrounds. I assume it's cheap labour related.
>>
>>46797551
Sweet, yes i certainly planned on starting right away.
That's where i dug up the stuff about front-end and back-end, seems like i have to choose. The point of the thread was to get some opinions from both sides, but it seems people are misinterpetating it somehow.
>>
>>46797559
I'm only 19, just got out of high school.

>>46797572
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm planning on getting an education, not go into the job market with no back ground.
>>
>>46797596
How old are you and what is your current education?
>>
>>46797636
see >>46797623
>>
>>46797636
nvm then
>>
>>46796870

this picture annoys the shit out of me, and i'm not even an autist
>>
>>46797623
Have you considered going in to science, engineering, or mathematics? Programmers are going to eventually become the janitors of the 21st century. Anyone can do it.
>>
OP, take a look at this infografic. maybe will give you some ideas
>>
>>46797690
Haven't thought of that, no. I might do something like that if typical programming web-based stuff really is the low-end. I just thought it seemed interesting, and i could picture myself doing it for the rest of my life. Maybe build stuff on top of it at some point.
>>
You don't have to chose shit.
You will have to learn both anyway,
then you can decide which thing you want to specialize in.
When you can't do both theoretically, you are just unnecessary.
Going to college would be the proper path to learning this shit,
but if you are too dumb for college you can teach yourself or something (although you'll probably be replaced by indians at some point in time )
>>
>>46797365
>To think you can just come and grab a load of cash because you want to is laughable.

basically this post

in this world:
people who are lucky as fuck and hit the motherlode>>>>>people who work their balls off and are actually talented>>>people who work their balls off>>>>>>>code monkeys>>>>>>idea guys>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you
>>
>>46797701
Thanks man

>>46797725
I was thinking of college, yeah.
>>
>>46797733
I'm not looking to get rich, jesus christ. I already stated that. I just want to find a proper job and that's it. Call it laziness or whatever.
>>
>>46797715
There's no future in web-based programming or design. In the programming field, it's the lowest of the low and jobs are outsourced to India or China, or websites are designed around pre-existing frameworks/software. If you enjoy programming, pick up something like C++, C#, Python, or Java. That will at least guarantee you an 80k/year job.

>As a general rule, C++/C# combo is probably the best bet.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-08-20-05-49.png (288 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-08-20-05-49.png
288 KB, 720x1280
Why the fuck did you even post this? You'd be Petter off slamming a 15 inch dildo up your ass, there NO cash in this, not for you any way.

Your "no in to" computers? Like what the fuck? How do you expect to "build web apps "

Actually now that I really think about it the cash might be in it for you sucking the balls of a dedicated programmer, they might pay you. But probably not.
>>
>>46797794
Okay that's useful information. Thank you. I'll look into it.
>>
A website developer is an out of work computer programmer because that's who you'll be competing with for a job. If you aren't at least familiar with database software or some scripting language your resume will go directly into the garbage as soon as you turn your back.
>>
>>46797813
So without back-end knowledge you're fucked? Thanks, that's something to keep in mind then.
>>
>>46797760
Your problem was already highlighted by these posts already >>46797386
>>46797406
>not "into" computers so to say
>can't code or anything

there's a trillion people out there who have been dabbling in computers since they were toddlers, what makes you think you will be able to best them when you are only making a decision to enter the industry at this late of an age?

because
>I'd consider myself a creative person
?

Treat programming as a side hobby and only take it seriously if you are actually getting somewhere with it.
>>
>>46797798
>mocking a fag for wanting to go into the industry while being almost completely ignorant to it
>posts a screenshot of an reaction image
>>
>>46797794
Better start with c++ though, c# is comfy as fuck and will make you butthurt putting up with the comparatively bullshit syntax of c.
>muh var
>muh garbage collector
>muh intellisense

If only they didn't herpaderp and made winforms and shit opensource, not just asp.
>>
>>46797827
What he means is don't go into web development or anything with apps. There is no money in it and you will not get a job. Don't even consider doing it.
>Internet == bad
>other programming == good (unless it's video game programming i.e. the second worst thing after web-based)
>>
>>46797292
>front end developers for command line
>>
>>46797863
I agree with this 100%. Start by learning C++ OP. If you want to start now.
>download CodeBlocks (the best opensource C++ IDE)
>download a PDF of C++ Primer (or is it C++ Primer Plus) and start reading it
>one of those books is good, the other is crap. I forget which is which since the names are so similar.
>>
OP here

Okay, so i've learned that you get assaulted on /g/ if you want to work with computers with no knowledge. I guess that's.. expected somehow.

Well, thanks for all the answers though, now i have some more to think about. Keep in mind, i'm just fucking around with ideas at the time, i just wanted to hear your take on web-based developing, but if it's as bad as you all make it, i guess i could go other ways.

I should have known creativity was a shunned word on here as well, but i do like design and shit like that, call me a fag all you want.
>>
>>46797960
theres nothing wrong in like design. a programmer must be creative
>>
>>46797701
>>46796870
These pics make me cringe.
>>
>>46797959
Thanks man, this is very useful since i've been struggling with where to start in the coding world. I have to at least check it out before i devote my life to it.
>>
>>46798012
No problem. Also I looked it up, and C++ Primer is the good one.
>>
>>46798002
But i was thinking more about visual design. I guess all lkinds of programming has a lot of creativity involved though.
>>
>>46798038
Great, thanks
>>
>>46798045
if you work in the backend part, you dont have to worry about the front, because there's some guy who does that
>>
>>46798065
Yeah that's how i understand the split as well.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.