[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw GNOME 3.16 is going to be the most beautiful release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: beauty.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
beauty.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>tfw GNOME 3.16 is going to be the most beautiful release yet
Why haven't you switched yet?
>>
It looks like shit
>>
>>46719516
>using dee-eee
>>
>>46719595
>Not using a DE
>When current hardware is so awesome
It's like you like being a hipster faggot.
>>
Does the entire DE still feel like you're in a vise being squeezed into a faggot sausage so much so that even XFCE feels like liberation and boundless horizons?
>>
>>46719620
>tfw i3 is all you need
Why are you still stuck on GUIs?
>>
>>46719649
why are you using a wm when all you need is a cli/multiplexor?
>>
>>46719645
Probably. Gnome 3 will always be an OSX wannabe. Luckily Xfce is sorta still in development and will get an update soon, and MATE is planned to have GTK3 very soon.
>>
>>46719516
It looks good but considering half this board is NEET autists, dont expect any actual response
>>
>>46719516
>Why haven't you switched yet?
Because XFCE 4.12
>>
>>46719667
I use them. Wake me up when they invent a proper CLI browser and video player, I'll switch completely.
>>
>>46719516
Looks ok. May give it a try and switch from MATE.
>>
>>46719649
So your needs are different than other peoples.
What is the big deal? You are not going to use my computer so why care about what I run on mine?
A DE is just a wm + applications so I don't see the problem in using something as gnome that provides a pretty and easy to use DE without having to make choices along the way.
>>
Big gnome 3 update came out today or something?

Gnome 3 is a good DE.
>>
Because Plasma5 looks better and more functional to me.
>>
>>46719620
See. That's how I feel. When your hardware is pretty good. Gnome 3/cinnamon etc work good. No lags bug shit. I'm a big openbox fan. But on good pc's/ DE's are all good as well.
>>
File: 1421795129593.jpg (126 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1421795129593.jpg
126 KB, 700x700
>>46719681
I thought MATE already had gtk3?
>>
Why do modern designers hate gradients and make everything so flat? Is it 1995 again?
>>
>>46719723
Not yet, but soon
>>
>>46719649

Most tilling window managers were extremely unstable for me. Also, no Wayland
>>
>>46719762
Gradients are costly resource wise(compared to other raster graphics) and flats look better and are easier on the hardware.
>>
How is replying to messages going to work now with the notifications at the top instead of at the bottom?
>>
>>46719750
Still in development, will be GTK3 in 1.12

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/status:gtk3
>>
Because it treats its users like idiots. I don't like being treated like an idiot.
>>
>>46719686
>xfce 4.12
Still using a depreciated toolkit, no thanks, I enjoy life without cancer.
>>
Might toss gnome3 on ma arch. runs great on it.
>>
>>46719704
Don't forget you can use extensions!
GNOME3 may seem pretty inflexible, but that's just at first glance, it couldn't be further from the truth.
If you think that it's starting to look good, couldn't hurt to wait for the actual release, unless you're comfortable with Rawhide. Right now 3.16 is still beta (version 3.15.90)
>>
>>46719620
>WE HAVE BETTER COMPUTERS, SO LET'S WASTE MORE CPU CYCLES AND RAM
Your stupid fucking mentality is the reason why current computers take the same amount of time and are as responsive as they were 20 fucking years ago. Computers are hundreds of times more powerful and the experience is the same fucking shit. If developers didn't think like you and cared about efficiency the cheapest computer on the market would be blazing fucking fast.
>>
>>46719968
2015. scared to use more than 1 GB of ram. You go dude. Nobody is forcing yyou to use DE's. You can stick with your X and compile every needed package
>>
>>46719968
Yeah, and all that blazing fast speed would go unused because humans are literally incapable of working at that speed.
>>
>>46719968
>computers are getting faster
>instead of making software better to utilize this, we should stay stuck in the 20th century
great logic anon. Worth mentioning, Arch+GNOME is faster than windows 95 was on any hardware I've used. Faster than GNOME2/MATE was on my old desktop.
I bet you're using firefox. Why use that when you can use LINKS?
>>
>>46719996
GNOME3 uses about 500 MB of ram at startup last I checked. Any faggot not running a full DE is a hipster. It's called a desktop enviornment for a reasion, it's an enviornment for desktops. Laptops are fine too.
>>
>>46719516
Because Cinnamon.
>>
>>46720076
If it weren't for cinnamon 2.4 being decent, I'd make fun of you for that. Good job using the only good toolkit, GTK3, anon.
>>
>>46720061
>wasting half a gig

given the current ram prices, that's like tossing 30$ down the drain
>>
>>46720110
No, it's actually using that 30$. Not using your RAM is wasting it.
>>
>>46720094
I'm on the nightly builds PPA, and I don't want to tempt fate, but it just gets better and better.
The new volume indicator has a silky smooth animation, you can now add more panels and copy paste the configuration.
>>
>>46720124
>Not using your RAM
I ran a vm in those 500 Mb you baka.
>>
>>46720124
And how is a DE waste? it's pretty much everything you use. I don't get it. Nobody is saying you can't just use a WM. do whatever the fuck you want. This is why Linux gets so much hate. Because the users hate non stop. I use openbox. But I also enjoy cinnamon and gnome 3.
>>
>>46719996
What an idiot. I agree the ENTIRE RAM should be used for cache, this is what the Linux kernel does, and it's great. But use it intelligently.

>>46720019
I'm talking about responsiveness. You're so used to slow shitty interfaces that you can't even understand what I'm talking about.

>>46720030
Because it doesn't support a graphical interface. Why do you instantly think that because I say current software is inefficient you immediately think that I want to go back to the stone age? Are you a fucking ape who can't not think in black and white?

>better to utilize this
The point is that they're not doing this. GNOME Shell doesn't do this. You can't configure shit, you can't do shit in it without extensions, it shouldn't get in your way. And it's slow as shit. Even with animations disabled on an i5 it takes around 100-300ms to show the applications in an i5. What the fuck? Windows 95 could do this in 10ms in a 133MHz.

>>46720061
>500MB
>startup
Using 500MB for doing literally nothing is supposed to be a good thing? Linux users used to laugh at Windows users for using 500MB at boot. What the fuck happened?
>>
>>46720132
You should make keybinds for switching workspaces/. Shit looks cool as hell. just slides to the next heh. you can set a keybind to go to a certain workspace. I thought it was neat. Cinnamon has gone a far way. And it isn't super bloated or heavy. Shit it ran fine on a 2 Gb ram machine of mine. But as I say. With Arch. Sure that Mint cinnamon is heavier
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.