[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Android peasants still using garbage USB 2.0 with micro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 21
File: IMG_0595.jpg (1014 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
1014 KB, 3264x2448
>tfw Android peasants still using garbage USB 2.0 with micro USB bullshit
>no reversible connector
>nothing supports USB digital output
>new flagships will likely not use USB Type C yet

What are they doing?
>>
I've had androids for years and i haven't recently had to throw away all the accessories for it because they changed something.
>>
>>46688856
meanwhile people still buy apple cables that break with normal use
>>
>>46688884
>implying micro usb cables don't break all the fucking time

get out shill.
>>
What's wrong with micro USB? It's a better design than regular USB. I would definitely like to see new devices start using the new standard, though.
>>
But Applel cables are USB 2.0 too m8.

Also some Note has USB 3 iirc.
>>
>>46688907
I haven't ever had a micro USB cable break. I do, however, see screwed up Apple cables all the time. And our labs are filled with terrible Apple peripherals.
>>
>>46688884

The cable pictured came with my iPhone 5 in 2012 and since I am not a retard, you'll notice it's in perfect condition...
>>
>>46688907
none of my micro usb cables have fucking ever broken
there's a fucking reason I bought a vesa mount for my ipad and strapped the cable to the boom arm
>>
>>46688856
>>tfw Android peasants still using garbage USB 2.0 with micro USB bullshit

when I was using Android (Galaxy S3), the worst thing about micro USB was how fucking fragile it was! Twice, I broke my connector! Second time I broke it, my phone was fucked. These connectors are too fragile and non-reversability makes them so fucking hard to plug in in darkness.

I switched to an iphone after that and never looked back. Android phones and their shit connectors are total fucking garbage.
>>
>>46688856
>tfw phone started dying while visiting grandparents house
>remembered grandma uses an env2
Hey grandma, can I use your charger?
In an alternate universe
>notice my iPhone 5 is dying
Hey Bill can I use your-
>stop myself after I realize he has an iPhone 4
>>
Apple user:
>go somewhere
>need a charge
>have to find someone with the exact same product and generation as you and hope they have a cable

Literally anything else user:
>go somewhere
>need a charge
>use anyone else's cable because that's what standards are for
>>
>>46688856
lightning is USB 2.0
>>
>>46688972
>not using wireless charging
>even bothering to fuck with cables in the dark
You brought this on yourself
>>
>>46688975

Except I don't hang out with my grandparents, since I am not a child, and all of my friends and colleagues have a plentiful mix of Android and iPhones
>>
>>46688982
>>go somewhere
>>need a charge
>>have to find someone with the exact same product and generation as you and hope they have a cable

Given how Apple has sold more phones that any other manufacturer and how iphone connectors and users are EVERYWHERE, I think you'll have a harder time finding another Androshit user.
>>
>>46689010
>>not using wireless charging

I've used wireless charging. It's the biggest bullshit ever! It takes 5x longer to charge through wireless than through the cable. It's fucking shit! Fuck wires charging of phones!
>>
>>46688880
>>46688975
>>46688982
Apple updates its connector once in a decade and neckbeards lose their shit over it.
>>
>>46688856
>iPhone
>using cables

You apple retards are the plebiest of the plebs. You know why? Wireless. Fucking. Charging. Literally changed my life. I will NEVER buy a phone that doesn't support it. My phone never dies. I used to always just take it out of my pocket and stick it on my desk when I sat down. Now I do the exact same thing but put it on the pad. It's also standardized so the charger I used for my old phone (Nokia windows phone believe it or not) still works on my Sony android phone.

Sounds like a gimmick but wireless charging is the most patrician feature ever made. Cables are completely obsolete. Upload everything with internet. Load everything into phone via microSD card. Oh wait, iPhones don't have expandable memory either! Enjoy paying $800 more dollars or whatever for your extra 16gb internal storage while I use 64gb SD cards that are so cheap they are basically disposable.

If you have an iPhone you should probably kill yourself. Just saying.
>>
>>46689078
>Apple updates its connector once in a decade and neck beards lose their shit over it.
You know who loses their shit? People who don't even own iPhones. It's basically trolls trolling.
>>
>>46689098
>Sounds like a gimmick
Because it is a gimmick! If you have 16 hrs to waste on charging a phone, it's a good option. If you have few hours, it's not.
>>
>>46689120
When that happens you can plug it in.

The rest of the time, once you've got a full charge, if you're not blowing through your battery like a fucking high school girl, you can just maintain enough charge for your day-to-day by setting it down on the pad.
>>
>>46689120
>16 hours

you are this stupid. get a decent one and not a chink charger and it's literally as fast as plugging it in
>>
>>46689098

I had wireless charging with my Nexus 4 and 5, and it was shit. It was a neat gimmick at first, but it took 10+ hours to charge from ~15% (a full day at work). This is a no-go when I get home around 6 and want to go out at 7.

Expandable storage is also a joke. I always had Nexus phones, so I never used it, but I know for a fact that microSD cards are slow as fuck compared to internal flash storage.
>>
>>46689191
>get a decent one and not a chink charger and it's literally as fast as plugging it in

That is factually wrong. Wireless charging is absolutely nowhere near as fast as plugging in to a wall charger.
>>
>>46688856
Paying 2 dollars for y new cables
>>
>>46689197
>40MiB/s
>slow
unless you plan on installing your OS on it, why do you need fast storage?
>>
File: advance.jpg (79 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
advance.jpg
79 KB, 450x450
>>46689078
Because when it was new, they still pushed older models then charged you $30 for adapters if you didn't upgrade to the newest phone but wanted new accessories. It's like if 3.0 didn't work with 2.0 devices. Everyone would be salty because they'd have to spend money to get their stuff working, again.

It's whatever, though. If you're about that Apple life, you should be prepared to spend lots of money to do basic things.
>>
>>46689191
>you are this stupid. get a decent one and not a chink charger and it's literally as fast as plugging it in

>"get a decent one"

shut the fuck up. it's not like a decent one can change laws of physics or the area of the phone or the size of coils.

about the only people who think wireless charging is great are people who never tried it.

say you come home and sleep for 8hrs, and you wake up and go to bed... when you wake up, your phone will not be fully charged & ready for a day's work. you'll still have to plug it in.

that's why wireless charging is a fucking waste of time and waste of weight & space of the internal induction coils.
>>
>>46689197
>fact that microSD cards are slow as fuck compared to internal flash storage.
I you buy shitty ones...
>>
>>46689191
>He thinks he can induce 2 amperes of current magnetically and not destroy all the chips inside the phone
>>
>>46689033
I'm a big boy, I don't need to see my grandparents! They're boring! They surely wouldn't mind if their grandchildren severed relationships with them just because they turned 18!
This totally proves that being stuck with ishit proprietary cables is the way to go!
>>
>>46689232

Load times, you imbecile.
>>
>>46689120
but anon, he is not losing the option to charge by wire fast. also if you spend the majority of your day behind a desk you can put it there, when you go to sleep you can just put it on the pad etc. your argument is invalid and full of bitterness.

when apple "introduces" the wireless charging all you sheep will camp for weeks in front of stores just so you can have opportunity to pay obscene amounts of cash for it.
>>
>>46689216

>yanking cords out by the wire and blaming the manufacturer when the wires pull out of the connector
>>
>>46689278

My grandparents died 15 years ago, you moron. Also, my iPhone battery last for-fucking-ever and I have no need to rely on the tit of a charger wherever I go.
>>
>>46689306
Apple uses metal cases for their phones. So no, they will not introduce it. And guess what, new Samsung premium phone is also made out of metal so wireless charging's gone for them as well.

And wireless charging is not free... you have the wight & space issue because induction coils are not made from air you know. I'd rather replace those coils with more battery area.
>>
>>46689304
loading what?
>videos
SD card is plenty fast enough
>music
More so
>angrybirds #37
those pigs'll surly kill you if you have to wait 0.1s longer!
there is nothing on your phone that requires speed, besides the OS (even then, vital resources are cached)
>>
>>46689233
World's tiniest violin playing for you over here.
>>
>>46688907
of course they do, but it's easy enough to get high quality micro usb cables considering almost every tech firm makes them as opposed to having to find a good third party apple cable.
>>
>>46689341
They died of shame. Of you.
>>
>>46689341
>iPhone users confirmed for absolutely no morality
>>
>>46689398
>World's tiniest violin playing for you over here.

Don't think I had this issue. I don't purchase Apple products. I am unable to justify buying from them for any reason.
>>
Some dumbass telling me how shit android is for having usbports.... Meanwhile he can't plug an Xbox controller in his crapple tablet and play a real game.

Only apple fans pay premium price for less features
>>
Alright android/apple guys, lets stop the arguing for one moment.

What would your ideal phone/device cable be? and what would it look like?

Lets just ignore the current specs and imagine a new cable is coming out that fits your demands, what are those demands?
>>
>>46689562
Dream wire no wires.
>>
>>46689547

I use my custom gaming PC to play games, not my phone, you retard.
>>
>>46689562
honestly was was wrong with mini usb? the one that was bigger than micro usb? couldn't they have just improved the tech to make speeds faster? those cables could take one hell of a beating

Or is this almost entirely down to wanting to make phones even slimmer, meaning that we'll eventually get thinner, easier to break wires instead of pure speed and faster charging?
>>
>>46689098

It's a gimmick. Guess what, you still have to contact your phone to something and leave it there. The exact same limitations are still there. Let me know when I can charge my phone from all the way across the room with it in my pocket.
>>
>>46688908
>It's a better design than regular USB.
How can you even say that? Micro USB is awful, every time I go to charge a device I pray to the divines that today isn't the day the connector breaks. Mini USB is acceptable, however.

USB Type C should be used on all phones from now on and they should just supply a USB Type C to USB cable.
>>
>>46689642
Portable battery pack.
>>
Alright, can anyone think of a single positive for wireless charging that couldn't work with wired charging?

Yeah, I can go to sleep with my phone on a pad and it'll be charged by the time I get up OR I could go to sleep with it connected to a wire and it's charged within 3 hours.
>>
>>46688856
>lightning connector plugs into.... USB port 2.0

Enlighten me silly bollocks why it's superior
>>
>>46689671
Mini USB is only rated at 1000 cycles. it's quite possibly the shittiest connector ever designed ,as my clip+ can attest to
>>
>having to buy a new type of USB when it's not so universal
>>
>>46689562
>Connector
Lightning.
Tiny, reversible and sturdy, since there's no frame around the plug, just a solid piece of metal.
Maybe with a couple extra pins for analog audio out.

>Cable
Braided/woven cord. Much sturdier and feel nicer than plastic coated cables.

>PC end
I highly doubt we'd need faster than USB 3.
But just to future proof it, I'd give it a thunderbolt.
>>
>>46689798
If you think Mini USB is bad then how the fuck can you say Micro USB is better?

Sounds like your clip+ had a shitty soldered connector, not exactly surprising to see happen on a shitty $50 cheap plastic piece of junk.

Lightning Connector is better than both mini usb and especially micro usb, USB Type C is the same if not better than Lightning. It should become the new standard immediately.
>>
File: 1409703341974.gif (2 MB, 250x285) Image search: [Google]
1409703341974.gif
2 MB, 250x285
>>46689740
>Yeah, I can go to sleep with my phone on a pad and it'll be charged by the time I get up
No it WON'T you fucking retard. Unless you sleep for 16+ hours, it's fucking impossible to charge a 1800mAh battery in 8hrs without frying the whole phone. Do some fucking basic calculations you fucking dolt. It's not hard. Go learn some EE or basic physics.
>>
File: nokia-n1-usb-type-c.0.0.jpg (12 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n1-usb-type-c.0.0.jpg
12 KB, 800x536
Nokia's new table will use the type-c head. Though they had to stick with USB2 this time.
>>
>>46688856
USB is a EU standard and apple is going to be forced over to usb soon
>>
File: ohgodyes.gif (3 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
ohgodyes.gif
3 MB, 200x180
>>46689876
so sexy
>>
>>46689908

No they aren't, you ignorant retard. They simply supply iDevice users with a lightning to USB adapter.
>>
>>46689908
>EU standard
No, it's EU recommended. Also, Apple can just deliver their Lightning -> USB adaptor with new phones.
>>
>>46689857
Never said anything about micro USB, but having moving parts inside a connector is also stupid and outdated
>>
>>46689924
>>46689876

They should be sued. This is almost a carbon copy of what the iPad and iPad Mini look like.
>>
File: 1419046816505.gif (986 KB, 370x452) Image search: [Google]
1419046816505.gif
986 KB, 370x452
>2015
>not using near field charging as your primary charging method

but, why?
>>
>>46689936
>>46689925
retard you are wrong!
adapters wont be enough!
>>
>>46688856
>proprietary connectors
>superior

top kek
>>
>>46689120
>>46689069
>>46688972
>actually typing like this
>all of these exclamation points
I don't even want to get involved in this shitty argument because it's pants on head retarded, but are you 50?
>>
>>46690017
because nfc isn't a wireless charging technology, you dumb fuck
>>
>>46688856
Except isn't Android switching over to the 3.0 micro usb?
Or is that just samsung?
>>
>>46690124
Near field induction is. You do know what a near field is, right?
>>
>>46689642
You meant to say, let me know when my phone is nuclear powered and I never have to charge it again.
>>
>>46690134
I'll be honest, those chargers aren't the best.
Tomorrow will mark one year since I got my note 3 and I've gone through two chargers. One broke in October and the replacement (which I at least got for free) broke in april while I was in Europe (which sucked).
I quit trying and now I just use a regular old micro usb
>>
>>46690261
I've had my Note 3 for over a year and my original charger is doing just fine
>>
>all these people who break their cables all the time

Is everyone on /g/ an ogre?
>>
>>46689642
>GUESS WHAT
You're a retard.

You don't have to stop to plug and unplug your device this way. I'll concede it's a minor inconvenience, but you're clearly missing that point entirely if you're calling it a gimmick based on the fact that your phone has to contact something.

Until magically safe radioactive waves are discovered and we can charge our electronics over the air, you have a choice between tethering your phone or not tethering your phone; the more convenient option is obvious.
>>
>>46689045
Good thing that microusb cables aren't just for phones then
>>
File: USB3SAUBX.C.jpg.png (291 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
USB3SAUBX.C.jpg.png
291 KB, 600x600
>>46690134
Micro USB 3.0 are the ugliest connectors ever. Just look at this aberration.

>Muh function over form
I bet the guy that designed it uses Linux.
>>
>>46690288
I have no idea. Only cables I keep breaking are the earbud ones, about once a year. Learned how to solder, so it no problem anyway.
>>
>>46690261
You're right, mine broke too, but it broke because I dropped the phone on that end while plugged in.
And I'd say my stuff is subject to a lot more abuse than the average person's.
That being said, my phone charges way faster with the 3.0 compared to a regular micro usb.
>>
>>46690333

>muh form over function

Top kek. I sure hope you're being sarcastic anon.
>>
>>46689562
It would be a goddamned USB cable so I can connect the shit I already own
>>
>>46689630
It's about the wires beeqking before the port does. From what I've seen of iPhones with the new connector, it was a very necessary sacrifice.

Everyone at work has to jiggle their cable around before it'll charge. I think this is mainly because they use their phones while it charges, putting unnecessary stress on both the cable and charger. I do the same but I have a Lumia 930 in addition to my work iPhone that I use for these things instead. I've gone through three cables. Probably would have killed the iPhone charger port if I had been using that.

It's a design choice to mitigate user stupidity.
>>
>>46689045
It's hard to find apple chargers since they're all broken.
>>
>>46689873
>QI charges at 5 watts
>lets assume half of that is wasted, it's not but lets say it is
>2.5 watt @ 5 volt = 500ma, USB 2.0 standard
>Charging an 1800mah battery, assuming no loss in power, takes four hours
Unless of course you were missing a zero, in which case I'd like to know what phone you have.
>>
>>46689120
>>46689191
>>46689197
>>46689210
>>46689249
>>46689268
bought wireless charger crap for my old samsung s3 since usb port fucked itself. was like $10 straight from shenzen, supposedly 1000ma output. charges my phone in around 2-3 hours when the right distance away from the charging plate.

the right distance. if it's not on there right, wireless charging will constantly flick on and off, getting almost nowhere while charging. I found that distance to be roughly 3/4 the thickness of the s3. the part of the plate nearest the port will heat up more though, but it charges almost as fast as it did when the usb port actually worked.

more than likely you never saw it charge fluidly.
>>
>>46690346
The iPhone cables are extra shitty and will split with regular use even if you're careful. The $5 chink ones on Amazon are much better quality.
>>
I'm not sure what's going on, but every Apple charger/cord I've ever had works just fine. The cable sheath has pulled back a little from the cable that came with my iPhone 3G, but other than that, all of my cables have worked flawlessly.

And I've never had a Micro-USB device not work due to port or cable problems. I guess I just don't yank on my phones or other devices enough.

I have seen a number of devices with broken Micro-USB ports due to people using the cord as a handle to pick up their tablet. Companies shouldn't skimp on the solder on those sockets.
>>
>>46689873
>>46690555
when I measured mine using some battery app, it was roughly 700-800ma charge rate. pretty good for cheap chink shit. i'm this guy >>46690703

now i'm looking at a little micro-usb breakout board to see if i can't make a working charge port on the phone for kicks. should be fun
>>
>>46689313
That doesn't happen all that much becauce even cheap USB cables are reinforced at the connection points
>>
My QI charger/coil supports 1amp, my stock charger has an output of 1amp.

It charges at exactly the same fucking speed.

If you're using fucking chink shit coils at least make sure it's a 5 pin version and not a 2 pin version.
>>
>>46690745
Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that I use only micro usb that came with a Motorola and Nokia Phones, Garmin GPS and Kindle ereader. Zero experience with Apple cables though.
>>
>apple cables
>aren't even insulated properly
>don't even have pivots at the end causing massive wear and tear with each bend
Lol double the price for 1/4th of the quality
>>
>>46688856
>ITT: APPLEFAG OP DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

Apple already stated they'll be ditching support of their existing connector for USB type C and you'll start seeing flagship android devices using it once there are enough type c devices on the market.

There is no reason to have this thread unless you wanted to discuss type c.
>>
>>46690333
It was backwards compatible with the existing spec. Type C will change that though.
>>
I personally just pop my 64gb SD card out and drop it in my card reader, that way I can read/write to it at like 70mb/s. There is always an option or work-around this is why I use Android.
>>
>>46689078
I wonder who these goys who come to 4chan to complain about
>lol neckbeards and nerds
are actually doing here.
>>
>>46691205
I dont WANT to understand anything, I dont NEED to clutter mly MIND with useless nerd and absurdly complex technical facts I want to be a user and I don't care about your android or windows phone or whatever linux CPU you own. I just use the products I buy, that's all.
>>
>>46689841
>thunderbolt
>giving add on devices DMA

lel
>>
>>46688907
they break less often than lightning cables
>>
>>46689120
how stupid are you? wirelessly charing my nexus 7 takes about 3 hours maximum while using the device (including time where the wireless charger falls off or its barely in range)
>>
File: apple-ipod-connector.png (611 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
apple-ipod-connector.png
611 KB, 800x600
I don't have a problem with the Lightning connector. It's proprietary, but it's Apple and you know that going in.

What pisses me off is that EVERY FUCKING COMPANY out there EXCEPT Apple reinforces the point where the cable meets the connector. Consequently, every iPhone owner I know ends up with a frayed cable and they have to buy a new one every year or less.

But no, everybody loves to eat Apple's asshole so they don't vote with their wallets. They keep accepting Apple's so-called "superior" design that favors a stupid ass aesthetic over what works in the real world.
>>
>>46691430
then wtf are you doing on /g/?

fuck off.
>>
>>46691526
planned obsolescence

enjoy paying out your ass for shitty products which are engineered to break so you continue to buy them
>>
>>46691577
>Planned obsolescence
Your things gets obsolete too, how old is your computer? It's the market, and I prefer to know my money goes for a company who fought against prop.8 instead than using one who funded it.

>>46691556
I have the right to be here. I have the right to call you an idiot too. Are you an engineer? Are you into the IT business?
>>
>>46691526
Black, ugly and looks cheap

My father's got an ugly stereo from the eighties that looks just like this thing. It's obsolete, analog and the most modern thing on it is a DVD player. He's proud of it cause it still works. it's a thing huge like a mini fridge! I never ever wanted to try playing music on this thing, I don't think anyone would touch any of these buttons.

Now with an iPhone you got more than this that fits in my pocket and I get my music on-line.

Do you get it?
>>
>>46691526
wut is dis technarlogie
>>
>>46688907
Apple cables fray like a motherfucker. It's almost like Apple is trying to force demand by releasing half-ass accessories.

They can claim it's "design" by having thin, very fragile wire shielding but fuck them, it's still shitty.
>>
>>46691648
I'm an engineer and I enjoy IT and am into it

and in my professional opinion you're a faggot

but the facts are you're just an idiot
>>
>>46688856

haven't connected my phone to my pc for ages, I use airdroid which works fine.
>>
File: Reimu.jpg (96 KB, 459x597) Image search: [Google]
Reimu.jpg
96 KB, 459x597
>>46691648
>>46691777
Someones mommy didnt give them enough attention today
>>
>>46689045
>Given how Apple has sold more phones that any other manufacture
Apple has less than a third of the marketshare IIRC
Android has like 70%, all of them use micro usb
>>
>>46691648
lel ok faggot.

I am in IT and I probably get paid more than you do werking part time doing sys admin related shit while at school than you do werking some dead end shitty service job.

now fuck off.
>>
>>46691430
So you want to argue about something that you don't understand? You're by definition a stupid fucking faggot.
>>
>>46688856
>tfw Apple peasants are still using stock keyboards.
>>
>>46688856
>nothing supports USB digital output

Stupidest statement on /g/ today.
>>
>>46691914
>Apple has less than a third of the marketshare IIRC
>Android has like 70%, all of them use micro usb

Dude, most of Android is sold in 3rd shithole countries like India and China. US, Can etc has allays had more iPhones than Android phones sold.
>>
File: 1389199770358.jpg (61 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
1389199770358.jpg
61 KB, 331x331
>>46692162
Here's the smug anime girl you so richly deserve.
>>
>>46690703
Not using magnetic guided mount or 3 coil charger. Seriously there's three options and you picked the wrong fucking one.
>>
>>46688907
i've never seen a broken micro-b connector
>>
>>46691777
you're a tool, i get it
>>
>>46692162
now find one that actually matches your iphone kek
>>
>>46691804
>>46688884
stop living 10 years ago grampa
>>
>>46692162
>US, Can etc has allays had more iPhones than Android phones sold.
>can't spell 'always'
>is wrong anyway

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Market-Rankings/comScore-Reports-March-2014-US-Smartphone-Subscriber-Market-Share

Kill yourself, retard.
>>
we have MHL TV out and USB audio output. we also have usb headset support via USB-OTG adapters in android 5.0
>>
>>46691777
Convincing troll, but even iSheep don't blather on like they're stroking out like that.
>>
File: MicroUSB1__57056_zoom.jpg (61 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
MicroUSB1__57056_zoom.jpg
61 KB, 600x400
and strain relief, the notches on the end of every usb, hdmi and power cable circled here, but no, apple has to use shitty rubber
>>
>>46689341
> My grandparents died 15 years ago
> The excuse given first was 'because I'm not a child'
> Implying contact stopped because anon grew up, not because they died

Change your story again if you want.
>>
File: 1424641990465.gif (543 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
1424641990465.gif
543 KB, 500x279
>>46692660
>mfw i'm just noticing these everywhere
>>
>>46688856
>I plug my phone in
Androids also have wireless charging
>>
>>46691914
im sure those "shithole" countries you stated had a choice of other low cost phones, but they chose android phones. im pretty sure availability of an os and cheap phones in poor countries is more important.
>>
>wireless charging

I miss my palm pre
>>
>>46689045
> Harder finding Androshit user
All I need to find is someone who has a
> Camera
> Tablet
> Blackberry
> Old-style dumbphone
> Various card readers

I see more random Micro USB cables lying around than iPhone cables, from either generation.

As a side note, I've also never broken a USB port or cable, because I'm not a fucking moron who jams the cable in without looking or rips the cable out with the force of a million suns.

And as to 'hurr durr reversible', if it's THAT much of a problem to feel which is the right way up, stay with Apple. We don't need you.
>>
>>46688907
you dumb motherfucker, i found a microusb charger cable in the parking lot the other day, got run over by a fucking car and i unbent it and it STILL WORKED. fuck your logic
>>
This is one circlejerk I can get in. I got an iPod Touch and the shitty stock Lightning cable broke in 6 months. A $5 eBay replacement broke in a month and its free replacement did too. I finally coughed up $15 for a replacement from Anker because it's the only MFI certified cable that has a head small enough to fit in my case because >muh authentication chip. Bought a used Note 2, put the iPod in a drawer, and the stock Samsung cable is still working fine over 2 years after manufacture.
>>
I used to use an iPod touch before I bought a smartphone, it was a pain having to buy a propriety cable every time I forgot mine/broke it. Not to mention that they for some reason cost a hell a lot more than micro usb.
>>
>>46691430
610% bait.
>>
>>46691648
The difference being most other devices, cables or laptops aren't PLANNED to expire after a certain date. They're built for the current generation and technology moves ahead at its current pace, whereas Apple stuff has a finite cutoff or failure date, no matter what the rest of the technology industry is doing at the time.

And yeah, as everyone else is saying, not being informed on a topic you're debating or defending makes you a moron, makes you look stupid and makes it easy to ignore or discredit everything you say. Would you take advice on how to get rich from a homeless man on the street who's never worked a day in his life?
>>
File: GOOOOOOOOOY.png (143 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
GOOOOOOOOOY.png
143 KB, 501x585
>>46688856
>Apple lightening cable and charger breaks
>Have to pay at least 20 dollars for an Apple© Certified cable
>Have to pay at least 20 dollars for an Apple© Certified wall charger
>Attempt to use a $2 cable+charger bought from a third party
>Proprietary firmware causes the phone to not charge properly

Yes, Apple© is truly the superior option... thank you Mr. Goldstein
>>
>>46688880
HTC is supposed to be using the new USB C with the M9, so that'll be fun.
>>
>>46692361
by right distance, i mean above the charge plate, as in having an air gap between the phone and the plate itself. cheap chink shit i know, but magnets or 3 coils instead of 1 would not change this, aside from probably not being chink crap in the first place. took a chance and it works but not perfect. was $10 for the S3 addon coil and charging plate combined.
>>
>>46689078
they're actively going against the industry standard and I'm surprised the EU hasn't sued them for not complying to said standard.
>>
>>46694491
>not getting a free replacement at the Apple store
It's not like you would even get out of your house you neckbeard cuck.
>>
>>46691526
If only they weren't assholes about it and didn't copyright it.
>>
I've had the same lightning cable since the iPhone 5 over two years ago. It isn't yellow and frayed like everyone else's. I swear people must treat their possessions like shit and live in a filthy hoarder home if their cables and phones are that grotty.
>>
>>46688982
>have to find someone with the exact same product and generation as you and hope they have a cable

You would have to be living in the third world to not run into someone who owns iPhone.
>>
>>46689947
>Apple creates something
>/g/ hates it
>Microsoft copies it
>/g/ raves
>>
>>46691526
I've never had this issue with any Apple branded cables. What are you clumsy sperglords doing with your cables?
>>
>>46691526
>having this problem
>any year after 2009
How old is that image?
>>
>>46688856

>get up, make coffee
>make breakfast
>get on /g/
>3 apple shill threads on the main page

Fuckthisshit.jpg
>>
File: _MG_6252.jpg (67 KB, 1000x821) Image search: [Google]
_MG_6252.jpg
67 KB, 1000x821
>>46696774
NOPE NEVER GETS OLD
>>
>>46690382
This is how applefags think
>>
>>46696774
>Nokia N1
>Microsoft
>>
File: online-games-for-kids5.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
online-games-for-kids5.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>46688856
>no reversible connector
A non-issue. I wish more things had USB 3.0 tho. Isn't it independent from the connector type?

Also Type C seems to trade durability/price for this reversibility "feature" which is absolutely useless. If you can't fit your connector the first time I suggest to practice on pic related.
>>
>>46697254
>Type C
>not durable
pick one
>>
>>46697332
Then it definitely costs more.
>>
>>46691804
But don't you know that you need to buy this?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lightning-magsafe-saver-charging-cables-protected#description

And I haven't ever seen any micro usb break, except for some dubious chink one. The old iPod cables with the click that actually locks it are pretty sturdy, but they actually have strain relief on them.
>>
>>46696791
Well, that laptop has a 1394 connector on it, if that tells you anything.
>>
>>46689098
I just got myself a LG G3
>Dat 128GB SD support
>Dat wireless charging
>Dat screensize (Haven't been bothered with heating problems so far)
>Dat quick circle

I'm very satisfied so far.
>>
>>46698698
It tells me anyone with physical access to it for five seconds has total control of your computer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMA_attack
>>
>>46688921
This, and the S5.
>>
>>46688972
I had a S3 and abused the fuck out of it. DOnt let your niggeroid chips get a hold of it and maybe it wont break.
>>
>>46689098
aren't strong electromagnetic fields bad for your health? I mean using cellphone and wifi is harmfull enough already.
> Literally changed my life
With literal oncology disease?
>>
>>46689045
>micro USB is for charging console remotes
>micro USB is used for mouse and keyboards
>Micro USB is used on network adapters
>micro USB is used for literary anything not apple
>micro USB is used on literally a billion other devices
>>
>>46690555
Yeah because I have a iphone-tier battery and turn my phone off every time I charge it...
>>
File: kde-connect-promo1.png (12 KB, 148x150) Image search: [Google]
kde-connect-promo1.png
12 KB, 148x150
>>46688856
>not using KDE Connect
Enjoy your cables, plebs.
>>
>>46688856
too bad that you can't transfer anything on your locked down piece of shit applefaggot
>>
>>46696864
its clearly devolved into normals from the cancer boards that shitpost about their fashion accessories
Its time to move on
>>
Type C was only finalized in August 2014. Device development time is typically about the year. I would bet that the S6 will have a Type C connector, and most flagships throughout the rest of the year to get Type C.

MicroUSB is pretty shitty other than the fact that it is on a lot of shit. IT was intended to replace mini USB with a connector that would break on the less expensive cable side, but the reality is that mini USB is often more durable, despite MicroUSB being designed for 10,000 or more plugs. Manufacturers use cheap mounts on the device side which causes them to break. Better connectors can be more durable but on many devices the manufacturers cheap out.

Lightning is objectively shit because Apple won't strain relief and the cables were made much more expensive by Apple's forced authentication chip scheme to make third party cable makers tithe them a buck per cable.
>>
File: 1424191762057.jpg (364 KB, 1280x1184) Image search: [Google]
1424191762057.jpg
364 KB, 1280x1184
>work in wireless sales
>every other customer is "my iphone cable isn't working"
>>
>>46699412
thermal throttling, overheating, brightness throttling, games/3D performance due to pixel count, screen quality is not that good (sacrificed for higher resolution).

enjoy.
(G Pro 2 and G2 user. I hate LG for their stupid decisions. ruining a perfect set of great ideas (tap-to-wake,sleep, back led, plethora of features in the UI, skinnable Home by default, etc.))
>>
>>46692714
Stop posting that shitty gif, or at least convert it to jpg.
>>
>>46688856
>iosfags looking for a flaw in android devices
>finally find one
>its about the cable
>its not even major
its like all iosfags are 11 year old or pseudo hipsters.
>>
>>46700949
> finally find one
implying.
having a standard cable for every device is awesome. (not to mention the universal chargers as well.)

you can push more amps on older USB cables, just switch to a bigger charger and you are all set. have a smaller phone with less power need? just use your bigger charger, nothing bad will happen.

it's the best feel.
>>
>>46700560
my cable works fine, has for over a year now

normal people are usually retarded though
>>
I've never felt like a Micro USB port was going to break. It always fits like it should and doesn't seem like it's ready to break off.

Are people just shit at plugging in Micro USB?
>>
>>46701265
> retarded
Apple cabbles have no protection at the ends, thats the biggest reason why it breaks. Second reason is the pussy ass material Apple uses to build the cables (offering almost zero protection).

I only saw this retarded solution on HTC cables. (M7 got similar, no protection cable.)

>>46701285
No one shown evidence for this bullshit claim.
>>
>>46701285
mount quality matters a lot. microUSB was designed for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles, however, shitty female connectors can easily bend within the device.

particularly if you pick a flangeless connector where the duty of the flange is taken by the phone case, then the durability/correct insertion of the cable requires proper design. the pins can be bent or destroyed in cheaper connectors resulting in a device side break rather than a cable one.

>>46701368
it's really common to the point where the microUSB connector in samsung devices is typically a non-soldered connection cable separate from the main board. $10 part that can be swapped by hand. It was an exceedingly common problem on the galaxy nexus, for instance.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Samsung+Galaxy+Nexus+%28Verizon+LTE%29+Micro+USB+Charge+Port+%26+Main+Mic/9641

(I replaced it, but unintentionally nicked a soldered connector for the volume buttons in the process so those no longer worked. Combine that with the fact that American express already gave me a full refund of the purchase price under free extended warranty coverage and I just bought a new phone).
>>
>>46701394
> on the galaxy nexus
Some devices have problems. Apple devices also had issues (screen issue, multi touch issues, power/volume button issues, mute button problems, call issues, etc.) A partner company have a fleet of Apple phones, and about 20% is always is in for repairs, this been the case since their first purchase (it was the 4S). And the newer phones have the same problems.

Anyhow. The issue you mentioned is a Samsung/Nexus1 specific problem. Other USBs don't suffer from it, and it is not that costly to fix.)
>>
>>46701448
http://www.webtorials.com/content/2013/11/micro-usb---unmitigated-stupid-blunder.html
>It's this last point that is the true Achilles heel. The micro-USB connector is designed such that the connector on the cord is (hopefully) sufficiently springy to make a good connection and the data connections are molded into the connector.
>The "equipment side" of the connector is even more vulnerable to failure. It is, at best, an extension of a circuit board. Easy to manufacture, but extremely fragile. So you go directly to a trace on the circuit board, and you hope that the two connectors make sufficiently good contact.
>Personally, I've had three devices "fail" in a period of less than two years because of failed USB connections. Repair shops confirm that the vast majority of cell phone and tablet repairs are due to bad micro-USB connectors - right up there with broken screens. And the connections are so flimsy that an enthusiastic user can even force the connectors together upside down. (Yes, this invariably results in a hard failure.)

I'm trying to find a citation from an extended warranty provider. The problem is that the standard allows for non-durable mount designs, and this really isn't obvious at all to the user when they pick the device. Even big name manufacturers have fucked this one up.
>>
File: microusb.png (13 KB, 608x138) Image search: [Google]
microusb.png
13 KB, 608x138
>>46701467 here
Having trouble finding detailed failure rates...
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/reversible-tiny-faster-hands-on-with-the-usb-type-c-plug/
> “There weren’t a lot [of trade-offs] originally. The target for the spec was to make it as small as the micro USB, but in the end we made it as small as possible, and we’re still about 10-15 percent away from that goal,” he said.
>Nevertheless, “The OEMs understood the value of the performance and the improvement in rigidity and durability,” Saunders added.

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/12/hardware-comparison-lightning-connector-vs-microusb-connector.html
>Both cables and the device connectors tend to fail a lot on microUSB, and if you actually study the thing, you start to understand why. Here’s a picture of a microUSB connector I had lying around (for DIY use), pulled apart to show all the pieces.
>As you can see, there’s a lot to this connector, which is why it frightens me that I wasn’t lying when I say I pulled it apart. I did not break a single thing in preparing that image. Everything you see is either bent or pulled apart, and not in any way broken, and therein lies the problem: There are so many small parts, and they’re essentially held together like origami. If you’ve ever seen faulty microUSB connectors, you start recognizing how they break. See those two hooks sticking out of the right black piece? Those make sure the connector sits securely in the female connector. Trouble is, if they’re just a little bit off, they might grip onto the insides of the connector a bit too much. I’ve had official accessories refuse to let go of the connector on my Galaxy S II, almost giving me a heart attack as it threatened to tear the device’s connector apart from the inside.
>>
>>46688907
Mine has never broken. My brother has broken 2.
Then again, he is kind of careless.
>>
>>46701566
Anon, that post was 19 hours ago. No one gives a shit about your idiot sibling.
>>
>>46701467
>>46701536
i don't think i'll ever understand how people break their micro-b connectors/ports beyond something like yanking them out at an angle

the only kind i've damaged was a type i had assumed was official as a lot of semi-old cameras and some low-end devices have it, but looking it up now since i didn't know it's name, turns out it's not an official usb connector, called UC-E6 (like a narrower micro-a connector)
the device i was using had such a port and it was labelled as usb, but it wasn't actually a usb port, so plugging it in just melted and smoked the connector, the device still works, and so does the connector, despite the plastic in it having melted pretty badly

so idk, am i the only one who has had no trouble keeping usb connectors and plugs intact?
>>
>>46688856
>>46688907
Is this guy an apple shill? I think he is an apple shill. Anyways no micro usb has broken down on my watch and if it did I can literally buy one from monoprice for like a dollar.
>>
>>46701892
ps. i'm not trying to say it can't be a common problem, just that i don't think they're exceptionally bad at staying intact, like people seem to make them out to be, and that reasonable use will result in no breakages

also, most of my micro-b cables are cheap as shit (like, around the dollar mark), so no "good brand" arguments to be made here
(reason is because they work fine, they're just cables)
>>
>this entire thread
>>
i don't know how anyone has broken a usb cable. or really any cable for that matter. the last cable i can think of breaking that i owned was a short in some headphones like 6 years ago
what the fuck do you people do that the cables you use breaking is a serious point of discussion or consideration? it's a non-issue in any case as long as you aren't fucking retarded. god dammit what a waste of time to even think about
>>
>>46701994
thanks for the brief summary
>>
>>46702008
>he doesn't chew his usb connectors like a mature 2 year old
>>
>>46688907
>shilling an industry standard
bruh
>>
>more power
I actually don't see a problem with this.
My phone has over 2 days worth of battery and I usually charge it at night.
I can get a full charge in a couple of hours.
>slow transfer
I never use a cable for data transfer as it is one of the worst ways to transfer data.
I have a the syncthing app that syncs all my files every other day (while I am charging) and I can always turn it on if I need to transfer a photograph or something.
Pressing share is faster than finding a cable so I don't usually bring one with as I have a charger at work and in my home.
>hard to do plug in when it is dark.
Well there is a giant screen on my phone that lights up when I turn it on. If it was completely dark that would help me plug it in.
I try to charge it away from where I sleep so I don't feel the urge to watch my phone instead of sleeping.

I would rather that everyone used the same cable so that if I am at a friends house and need to charge my phone I don't have to worry if he has a charger that fits my phone.

I think we should use the current usb cables for a long time so that when we will make a switch it will be because there is something better and I hope that it will be a universal wireless charging stand or something that will work for every device. And when that happens, why should we remove USB as a backup charging option in case the wireless doesn't work?
>>
>>46701892
A lot of people do, and it depends on the durability of the connector that a manufacturer chooses and how they mount it (top or bottom mounts are generally less durable than mid-level). Solder flex failure is extremely common.

By instead using as shitty mechanism where springs on the cables hopefully align things in place in the middle, we put the pins on the outside in one solid chunk. Contact becomes far easier, breakage of the male end is reduced because you don't have those stupid fucking springs and breakage on the female end is reduced because you don't have a piece in the middle that can easily be bent out of whack and instead have a solid connector that's harder to wear.

Plus it's reversible (fits both ways, woohoo), left space for additional wires to evolve the standard without forcing new cable purchases, puts less strain on the connector overall (by design), and can do up to 100W of power delivery.

It's an evolution of the connector design that is enough of an advancement to merit a lack of backwards compatibility.
>>
>>46702065
MicroUSB failures due to flex in the female connector are common and people love it being to plug it in both ways. More power is really for tablets and laptops (most laptops will take 90W or less so 100W capability means you can charge from USB).

>I never use a cable for data transfer as it is one of the worst ways to transfer data.
You're not fucking serious right? It's not from a necessary convenience perspective, but from a data transfer rate and reliability perspective unless your shit is ancient it's much better than wireless, particularly in wifi congested environments. Also, when you want to do certain operations (firmware flashes) you need something more basic where wifi or cellular isn't even active yet.

>I would rather that everyone used the same cable so that if I am at a friends house and need to charge my phone I don't have to worry if he has a charger that fits my phone.
There's gonna be adapters, and since they won't require licensing from any party, they'll be pennies and included with everything. The new merits of the new case design warrant the adapter hobble occasionally.

>I hope that it will be a universal wireless charging stand or something that will work for every device.
This exists, it's called Qi, and Toyota built a Qi charging pad in their new Camry, for instance. Problem is, you have to get the coil as close as possible to the outside of the phone or performance degrades quickly. Even putting on a silicone case drastically reduces the charge rate.

It'll be like Apple pay, once Apple does it everyone will be slobbing on their knobs. Just like how Apple adds NFC payments and everyone loses their shit.
>>
>>46702123 here
I'd like to point out that one of the largest problems with inductive charging is when people go to charge the devices AND use them simultaneously, unless you keep it flat on the charging pad. A phone is not like a toothbrush where you'll brush and then put it on the base to charge, there's a good chance you want to use it while charging. And flat on a surface is not the ideal position for the device to be in from a usability perspective.

I have a Qi charger and I had a nexus 5, even when I had it I rarely used it as it was a pain in the ass and slower to charge than a cable (particularly important when the screen of the device was on, and I was using it).

Inductive charging has its places, particularly in the bathroom (water resistance, no contacts), which is why it's the choice for electric toothbrushes particularly. It's cool to think having the phone on a surface (charging pad), merely placing it there is enough. But there are design problems, and the inescapable fact that it can never be as efficient as a cable, and when you want to use a device while charging, a cable is a better option than induction.
>>
>>46696950
Microsoft owns Nokia fool
>>
>Implying we want that new flimsy shit

Make the connectors bigger and faster
>>
>>46689642
>>46690329
http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/wireless-electricity-arrived-scientists-say-theyve-made-wireless-electricity/
>>
>>46691914
>Comparing a company to an OS
>>
>>46701892
My S3 has always been dodgy with cables. Some chinese cables will just outright refuse to charge or charge at a horribly slow rate, like two hours to get to about 70%. So far my best solution so far has been a certain type of 90degree connector from hong king. Keep you in a good habit of not pulling the cable either.

But my phone has gone through so much punishment i'm surprised it even still works.
>>
>>46702299
You retard.

Microsoft owns SOME Nokia R&D departments, they used to own the name as well but they gave it back.

Now Nokia is a small company making dodgy Intel tablets
>>
>>46688908

You literally waste half your life trying to plug them in the wrong way.
Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.