[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you are installing a new distro today you must post in this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: kfSLE.jpg (238 KB, 600x545) Image search: [Google]
kfSLE.jpg
238 KB, 600x545
If you are installing a new distro today you must post in this thread with your old distro and your new distro.

Old: Ubuntu Precise
New: Crunchbang Waldorf
>>
>>45595706
>Ubuntu
shit

>Crunchbang Waldorf
ancient
>>
>>45595706
Fedora20
new is going to be Arch
>>
pic related?
>>
>>45595706
what OS should I use? Some GNU/ Linux experiance. I am looking for something I can do coding, movie watching, general shenanigans on. BTW I have a net book.
>>
old:win7

elementary os
>>
File: emma.jpg (454 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
emma.jpg
454 KB, 2560x1440
> Before
Arch Linux

> After
Ubuntu 14.04

the wifey is using my computer more often while I was at work and needed something that wasn't l33t

Thinking about trying out gentoo on my thinkpad though
>>
Old: Fedora 20

New: Manjaro

I already installed it, I dont know how I feel about this, feels weird, real weird
>>
>>45595706
but its soooooooo old and doesn't cooperate with debian jessie repos very well.
>>
old: debian gnu/systemd/linux
new: /g/entoo

Already done with the hard parts.
>>
aaah linux fags installing a new OS literally every fucking day.
>>
>>45595961
ahh faggots shitposting literally every fucking day
>>
>>45595854
voeblogg.no
>>
moving from fedora 20 to fedora 21 Server
>>
Current: Ubuntu14.04

Really thinking about using Fedora since I've back everything up.

pros/cons from other Fedora users?
>>
>>45595818
I do the exact same.
>>
>>45595706
Old: Arch
New: Windows 8.1

I'm tired of the bullshit.
>>
>>45595706
>Crunchbang Waldorf
I'm a big #! guy but to shut guys like >>45595721 up I like to install #! and then modify the repos with all debian Sid repos and remove the #! stuff. With a little work you get all the theming of #! in Debian Sid.

But just starting out in a real distro (ie not Ubuntu) just keep it stock and enjoy it for awhile.
>>
>>45597111
topkek32.exe
>>
old: debian wheezy
new: debian sid
>>
Ubuntu Trusty -> Elementary OS Freya Beta 1

The latter was an iso preconfigured for my hardware, while the former was one I'd poorly configured myself.

Was going to try Fedora, but it seems any newer 64-bit distros Live USBs just crash on boot, so I'm sticking to this Elementary set up that works well enough. Pantheon's a bit limited, but it's less bloaty than Unity.
>>
>>45595818
Welcome, friend.

>>45595907
I use arch and gnome and day to day involves no maintenance. The only times I run into problems are after running updates and I doubt you have to worry about wifey doing that.
>>
the cutie is emilie nereng if anyone's wondering
>emily rudd is better, fuck your shit OP
>>
>>45596092
I've used Fedora plenty. It works really well and is also bleeding edge. It's put together by Red Hat so it's very stable. Fedora 21 just came out a couple of days ago so if you count that as a plus there you go. While the temptation is there I tend to not use it on servers that I can imagine living longer than a year due to the lifespan of updates only being around a year. However, if you're just running it on your laptop and you tend to distro hop like most Linux users that's fine.
>>
>>45595872

Any of them.
To be honest the only things that really matter are:
Stability vs. Frequent software updates
and
Customizability vs. Ease of use
>>
Old: Crunchbang Wheezy
New: Arch

Only reason I haven't switched is because I don't have the knowledge to configure Arch properly.
>>
>>45597446
believe me, you gain it by doing it, don't be afraid.
>>
>>45597446
use an install script.
>>
>>45597479

I've been using linux for a few weeks now so I'm only just getting used to things.
>>
Old: Windows 7
New: Funtoo
>>
>>45597490

I don't learn anything if I use something to install it, same for using a guide.
>>
>>45597510
you didn't specify that you were switching to learn things
I switched because I wanted the AUR
>>
Old: manjaro xfce
New: linux mint cinnamon

Spent a full 60 seconds going between workspaces when I first loaded it up.

Comcast is throttling my steam downloads like a bitch.
>try 5 dif dl server locations
>dialup speeds everywhere
>turn on VPN - 6.4 megabytes per second
Thanks comcast
>>
>>45597510
I disagree with not learning anything from guides. As long as you actually pay attention to what you are doing, and not just blindly copying, you can learn a ton.
>>
>>45595926
Can't say I like it much now that Ive used it some, maybe its XFCE, maybe its the screen tearing, but I get that with every linux distro I use.
>>
File: antergos-logo.png (57 KB, 470x350) Image search: [Google]
antergos-logo.png
57 KB, 470x350
>>45597446
>>45597490
http://antergos.com/

Arch with a beautiful noob-friendly installer preconfigured with very sensible settings. Is trivial to remove what they add later.

I've installed Arch before and it's just a headache. Have had Antergos's Arch installed for weeks now and it's a really great time. Like, I could not possibly be happier with how well everything runs.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.