[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>iOS apps are always light years ahead of their android counter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: google-play-logo.jpg (39 KB, 1262x800) Image search: [Google]
google-play-logo.jpg
39 KB, 1262x800
>iOS apps are always light years ahead of their android counter parts

How do we fix this piece of shit?
>>
Care to give any examples? I don't use iOS enough to notice
>>
Quality control
>>
>>45384730
>How do we fix this piece of shit?
We don't.

Delusional people are psychiatrists' clients.
>>
How about you contribute?

>>45384751
it just makes everything worse...
look at f-droid
>>
>>45384730
I use maybe 15 apps max. All of them work just fine, and do what they are supposed to.

Maybe I'm just not a big enough autist, like OP.

If you keep installing new apps all the time, then maybe you should re-evaluate your life.
>>
I see jewple shills are hard at work today.

Explain how they are ahead
>>
>>45384840
So then that isn't quality, is it?
>>
>>45384730
>How do we fix this piece of shit?
You can't. Developing on Apple is just more profitable for application devs:
* Far less time to develop because minimal fragmentation
* Far less piracy
* Far more people purchasing applications

That last one is probably due to better quality control in general. When you write an Android app that isn't a complete joke you will usually have tons of fragmentation issues from shitty devices, which net you a shitty user experience and less sales/users.

Also I don't have evidence for this but I think Android users are cheaper than Apple ones. Lots of people who have Android devices don't have an Apple device because they just can't afford one... so there might be a frugality thing going on too.
>>
In my experience, apps from "big" companies are about the same on both platforms, e.g. chrome on Android is comparable to Safari on iOS, google calendar is roughly equivalent to the calendar app on iOS, etc. Because Apple will QC the fuck out of the app store, they can prune away shitty apps that they don't like. I believe Google can do the same, but they seem to leave in some shitty apps anyway. Just my two cents.
>>
Does it have anything to do with Objective-C? I've been interested in learning that language but I really can't bring myself to use a platform specific one.
>>
>>45385207
>Does it have anything to do with Objective-C?
I don't think it has to do with Objective-C per se, but development for iOS seems more sane the Android one.

I haven't dig to deep yet (learning Obj-C) but so far I can give you some facts,

Android Apps
>Require UI strings in a XML file
>>Justified to ease app translation (I still find it dubious)
>Require a XML per "activity" (UI screen)
>Require a class file to pair the XML file
>Default project layout seems weird to me.
>Android "java" doesn't exactly works like java.

iOS Apps
>Just .h and .m (Obj-C extension) files.
>Everything seems to be just classes.
>>
>>45385391
you dont have to put strings and ui in xml, you can quite everything write in java.
>>
>>45385391
You don't need a single XML or UI string to create an android app.

They just make it easier to develop and get things multilingual.
>>
>>45385468
>you dont have to put strings and ui in xml,
Well, that's not the way Google advices it. At least not in their tutorial

>you can quite everything write in java.
Not enterely sure here, but I remember that In Java you can just use Date() to get an object and for android I had to something like
Date.getInstance()
>>
>>45385151
>This is a fine example of a fucktard

>* Far less time to develop because minimal fragmentation
If you are such a shit programmer you can't make a simple scaling UI based on the very easy to get statistics of the device, you shouldn't be developing for a mobile device. Heck, you shouldn't be programming at all.
>* Far less piracy
This is true, except even then, piracy on android is incredibly small.
>* Far more people purchasing applications
This is hilariously bullshit. Android has higher EVERYTHING than iOS. More apps sold, more app per dev, more devices, more market share. Look it up faggot, android makes more money than iOS and has done for the past few years.
>>
>>45385544
>Well, that's not the way Google advices it. At least not in their tutorial
>Because advise means you MUST do it
If you actually weren't a shit tier programmer, you would know why it advises this, why it is useful, and when and where to use/not use it.
>>
>>45385574
>resorting to name calling
>so early in the thread.
Well, if maybe that's why android apps are so shit. The app store is full of shit tier programmers.
>>
>>45385615
This is true. People like you, who have their hand held doing crapOS development who don't actually know what they are doing, when they try to make an android app and it requires some form of programming knowledge, they can't handle it, release a shit app then blame android.
>>
>>45385646
>implying I have ever released for mobiles.
Seems like you're full of yourself, which in your case is full of shit.
>>
>>45385684
>Someone doesn't know what he's talking about
>Someone shows him why he's being a retard
>Somehow that guys fault
On second thoughts, please develop for iOS, we don't want a moron like you making fart apps for android with the 2.3 skin.
>>
File: 1414770561153.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414770561153.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>45385549
>being this mad
I do mobile dev and that's been my experience.

>If you are such a shit programmer you can't make a simple scaling UI based on the very easy to get statistics of the device, you shouldn't be developing for a mobile device
It has nothing to do with device size. It has everything to do with the absolutely SHIT drivers that Android devices ship. OpenGL support is a fucking *nightmare* on Android. So is Bluetooth. If you haven't encountered any of these things, *you're* the shit programmer since you haven't done anything beyond babby's first drag and drop Java app. Please fuck off until you've done some actual development. With Android you have to deal with an insanely fragmented core OS base (2.3, 4.x, and now 5) you also have to deal with different drivers doing their own thing -- Qualcomm, PowerVR, Mali, etc

And no I don't give a fuck if you haven't dealt with these issues before, they are common knowledge to everyone in the dev community who has shipped something that more than 10 people use.

>piracy on android is incredibly small
No it isn't. The accepted figure is close to 90%.

http://www.multipie.co.uk/2014/04/bad-app-piracy-really/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-05/02/android-market-game-piracy

>More apps sold, more app per dev, more devices, more market share
Do you know what ratios are?
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-54-50.png (726 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-54-50.png
726 KB, 1080x1920
>>45384730
What does Pandora look like on iOS?
>>
>>45385772
>we don't want a moron like you making fart apps for android with the 2.3 skin.
Well, they already have you.
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-55-28.png (340 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-55-28.png
340 KB, 1080x1920
2/3
>>
>>45385549
http://bgr.com/2014/06/26/ios-vs-android-developer-revenue/

>More apps sold, more app per dev, more devices, more market share
And yet its still less profitable than iOS for developers :^)

Its gotta suck pretty bad to have so much more market share but still make developers less money
>>
>>45384730
It's delusional iPhone users that use android for the first time and don't know how to use it. Trust me I'm one of them.
>>
>>45385549
>piracy on android is incredibly small.
>>45385866
>No it isn't. The accepted figure is close to 90%.

You both need some statistics to back up those claims, if neither of you can then there's no point in even discussing it since neither party can be right.
>>
File: 1416653421742.jpg (119 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1416653421742.jpg
119 KB, 1280x1280
>>45385549
>The iOS App Store remains comfortably ahead in worldwide revenue, generating about 85% more revenue than Google Play. This gap narrowed over the last quarter though, as Google Play revenue increased markedly in the United States and United Kingdom.

leeeeeeeeeel

http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-market-q1-2014/
>>
>>45385914
I already posted a couple of links. There's a lot of information out there if you know how to use google

http://www.cultofandroid.com/27547/android-piracy-outnumbers-ios-piracy-by-141-driving-devs-to-freemium-only-model/
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-57-14.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-11-28-22-57-14.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>45385888
3/3
>>
File: 1414601809995.gif (826 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1414601809995.gif
826 KB, 320x240
>>45385887
Fuck, I feel second hand embarrassment from your shitty rebuttal.
>>
>>45385984
Good thing it took you 10 minutes to figure out your feeling.
>>
>>45385999
>he still hasn't figured out the IP count
No wonder you can't code for shit unless someone is holding your hand.
>>
>>45385151
>* Far less time to develop because minimal fragmentation
this just isn't true

Anyone that's devved on both platforms before knows that iOS takes ~120% of the time that Android does
>>
>>45385391
This is totally not the case.

iOS has all those interface helpers too, and like Android, you can ignore them, but you're going to end up with an unmaintainable piece of shit.

Also, Obj-C is fucking retarded.
>>
>iOS apps being 3-4 times larger than android apps
>OP uses term 'light years' in reference for time instead of distance

Oh lord this must be a bait!
>>
>>45384730
>>iOS apps are always light years ahead of their android counter parts
hilarious over-exageration.
>>
>>45386070
Well the fatal flaw with iOS apps is they force you to statically link everything. That's why you have the large app size...

I still prefer that over the clusterfuck that is Android development though. Anyone who's had to write anything that isn't complete garbage performance wise on Android (ie. native) will know large app sizes suck but pale in comparison to having to mix Java and native and bind them with JNI
>>
Applefags claim "quality control" for their app selection yet apps like:
iFart mobile lite
Atomic fart
Plumber crack
fart for free
Poop analyzer
Turd bird
Flappy dump

Make it into the app store.
How much apple dick do you have to suck to realize there's shit on apple's app store?
>>
>>45385972
Not material design. Doesn't even follow holo guidelines
>>
No one has mentioned how google let's developers publish almost directly to the play store whereas with app store all apps have to be approved and tested by apple. I would assume if the app appears buggy they will reject it.

Ios is also has a much narrower device versions to target and is encouraged to only target newer versions whereas google encourages targeting widest consumer base which includes hundreds of devices and numerous android versions.
>>
>>45386100
No one said anything about quality control. Good apps are better on iOS... there's really no arguing that.

Even Google's apps were better on iOS for awhile. I don't know if they've reached parity or if the Android versions are better, but its pretty pathetic when your own applications are better on another platform.
>>
>>45386145
Mate, the second post by a tripfag verbatim mentions this.
>>
>>45386107
i was trolling.
It's a cracked, modified version of pandora.
>>
Y'all niggas need some Kivy in your lives.
>>
>>45385174
> Apple will QC the fuck out of the app store, they can prune away shitty apps that they don't like.
I'm an iOS developer. My contract firm has over 50 apps in the app store. We've been headhunted by Apple because half of our apps have a 4.5 start rating average. I'm here to tell you that Apple's "quality control" is a joke.

We've released apps with serious bugs. Bugs that would cause the app to crash on an older platform that we didn't test throughoutly enough. One app wouldn't even open except on the latest version of iOS. Apple NEVER caught these issues, never rejected an app because of them, and never pulled an app because of them.

We have had apps rejected and pulled for various reasons, which include:

* Updating an app without removing a deprecated API call.
* Compiling against a library that had an unused call to the advertising identifier API when there were no ads in the app.
* Placeholder text in the app store description.
* User posted pictures of marijuana plants.
* User posted Starbucks recipes.

The app store reviewers are basically trained monkeys filling out a checklist, looking for very specific things that aren't allowed in the app store. They certainly don't test the app. Not saying that's their responsibility, but it certainly doesn't make them "quality control."
>>
>>45386028
Complete bullshit.
iOS: code once, deploy, almost always works everywhere

Android: code once, pray to the gods, offer the blood of your newborn, almost never works anywhere (rinse and repeat)

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-vs-ios-developers-2014-8

>Apple iOS developers spend most of their time coding. Android developers? They use the bulk of their time testing and debugging their code, according to an Evans Data report.

>This isn't because Android developers must compensate for poor code with increased QA, or that iOS developers are blasé about code quality. Rather, it's due to Android fragmentation, which forces developers to spend more time testing disparate hardware, a problem no other mobile platform has.

>Making matters worse, iOS developers make more money, on average, than their Android peers.

Its all well and good if your anecdotal experiences have been good with Android. But the general experience is not like that. And really -- anyone who has developed anything remotely complicated on Android will tell you that its pretty much nightmare fuel to deal with the fragmentation.
>>
>>45386280
Have you ever developed Android and iOS apps?

You're really far off.
>>
>>45386280
>what is iOS 8
>what is iPhone 6
>what is iPhone 6+

At least Android gives you the tools to develop for different devices

Hardcoding different layouts based on screen height queries feels so wrong.
>>
>>45386280
Android is super easy to dev for unless you mess with native and the abomination that is JNI.
>>
iOS literally all look the same
>>
File: 1416996842326.jpg (24 KB, 482x277) Image search: [Google]
1416996842326.jpg
24 KB, 482x277
>>45386299
Yes. Do you have an actual argument beyond "you're wrong even though all this research supports what you said"?

>>45386313
Who cares about the trivial labor involved in stupid shit like UI layouts? Android has severe problems that make applications unusable on different devices and requires significant effort to debug and fix.

Personal example: I wrote an application that made use of a serial bluetooth connection to a small device. It worked completely intermittently across different devices.

Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3 (or was it 4.1 to 4.2... I dont remember) completely broke the application.

Here's the debug process:
Get device that it doesn't work on. Just try doing random shit -- call the Android Bluetooth API calls in slightly different order, force the system to refresh bluetooth devices, force the system to drop the connection and restart it, try restarting at different intervals, etc. Android development is a joke. You're given a strict, limited set of functions you can call with a clear procedure you have to follow to do something.

So when things go wrong (and they always do on Android) its a complete clusterfuck and a complete timesink. You have no access to the underlying hardware drivers or debug tools that are helpful in the least. You just have to try random shit until it works for specific devices, for specific versions of Android.

I spent like a day putting the application together and it worked perfectly on my Nexus 4. It took close to a month to have it work suitably on a decent number of other devices by littering the code with specific fixes (down to the level of setting actual measured timeouts and shit)
>>
>>45386338
dont forget the drivers for hardware thats different across devices

bluetooth
gps
gpu (biggest pain of all)
>>
>>45385932
That must be the most retarded article I have seen in 2014. Those numbers make absolutely no sense without giving out legit download numbers.
>>
>>45384730
>iOS still doesn't have Firefox
>iOS only has IFTTT whereas Android has IFTTT and Tasker

iOS is horrible and takes control away from the users.
>>
>>45386432
I use ~150 apps and there's literally a single application that didn't work when I switched phone to OPO because it's hardware video decoding is somehow different. Every other app worked flawlessly from 4.0 to 4.4.4 (yeah, I ignored shitty android till 4.0) on 3 different phones.

>I wrote an application that made use of a serial bluetooth connection to a small device. It worked completely intermittently across different devices.
Ok let's ignore the fact that this kind of app would be impossible on iOS and what you described in debugging is just as bad in iOS?
>>
>windows phone apps are light years behind their android counterparts

And you think you have it bad
>>
File: carmack.png (172 KB, 687x363) Image search: [Google]
carmack.png
172 KB, 687x363
ITT
delusional andrones
>>
>>45387522
But the one who made this OP was a butthurt Applefag
>>
>>45387522
Carmack says everything sucks though, it's just a matter of when you ask him. I bet he'll be praising Android next year and bashing iOS like he used to do with OpenGL and DirectX. He flip flops back and forth on what he likes right now, not that it invalidates his opinion or anything.
>>
>>45384730
<TextBox x:Name="MyTextBox" />

MyTextBox.Text = "Get rekt, WP masterrace";
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.