[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you keep your tech secure in a dorm room environment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
File: typical_hofstra_dorm_room.jpg (18 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
typical_hofstra_dorm_room.jpg
18 KB, 450x338
How do you keep your tech secure in a dorm room environment?
>>
Carry laptop in backpack always

Have nothing else worth stealing
>>
Lock your door?
>>
>>45363342

Well, aside from that.

Kensington and a heavy ass desk. Deters theft, won't prevent it.
>>
>>45363306
Don't you lock your dorm room when you leave?
>>
>>45363306
I have a home server under the floorboards weighed down with lead, nobody's stealing that shit.
I keep my laptop encrypted and important things on cloud storage. (encrypted, of course)
>>
By not being an American so I don't have to share a room with someone else and I just lock my door.
>>
>>45363306

Living in such a shit school that requires sharing a room.

must suck to be middle America.
>>
>>45363321
Your laptop a disposable netbook type, or something you really care about? Cause backpacks get stolen fairly often
>>
>implying that's a dorm room and not a swedish prison
>>
>>45363398

Actually that's the military base in pensicola florida.

standard barracks room.
>>
Don't leave it in plain sight whenever possible. Lock down what you can. Be diligent about keeping the door locked when the room is unoccupied.

The majority of tech theft is going to involve slipping in, snatching and booking it. There won't be an examination of your sock drawer or cutting of cable locks. Big eye catchers are monitors/TVs and gaming consoles, so keep them fastened down. Use furniture position and such to hide as much as you can from door view. The next most common issue is going to be something like a supposed friend or perhaps a roommate's friend being left in the room unattended. That's how tablets. handhelds, cell phones and laptops walk away.

Ultimately it's good to live in a single or rent a room for yourself. Break-ins still occur but statistics are much more in your favor.
>>
>tfw ASU doesn't offer freshman single rooms

feels bad mane
>>
>>45363448

>not making a excuse as to why
>not applying anyways
>>
>>45363431
>tying things down
Nigga that's a challenge.

Also, don't leave games in plain sight, they'll steal the game console, wait a few weeks for you to buy a replacement, and then swoop in to steal the new console and the games.
>>
>>45363306
i have my own room in privately managed accomodation
>>
>>45363462

I could try to get an exemption to live off campus, but fuck all if I have a reason for one that wouldn't make me suspicious. Probably wouldn't make as many friends either.

I guess I could try for the Honors college, but it's another 3k a year for a single room there. I'm sure they fill up fast.
>>
Honestly, it depends on where you live. I have lived in an engineering honors dorm at a top uni for three years now and you always see laptops just laying out in study rooms and stuff since nobody ever gets their shit stolen. I've left my room door open and my laptop unlocked almost the whole time I've been here and my stuff has been intact.

With that being said, most things in shitty dorms are stolen when people leave for the weekend or something and don't properly close their door. Your only foolproof solution is to make sure that you don't leave anything expensive in your room when you go home for breaks, and get in the habit of completely closing your door every time you leave. Keep your laptop in your backpack as much as possible, as well.

ALSO this means that if you have a roommate, make sure to talk to him about always closing the door and stuff. Last year I had a roommate who would always leave the door open and I would have heart compilations every time I would come back to see $2000+ of /g/ equipment clearly visible through a wide open door that my idiot roommate neglected to close.
>>
>>45363483

>going to college/uni for friends
You don't want friends at school anon, they get in the way.
>>
>>45363395
Something I care about, but also something that's completely backed up to remote servers daily.
Also I'm never in a situation where my backpack isn't either on my back or directly in front of me.
>>
>>45363464
For the snatch and grab, it's enough. They're literally stepping through an open door and pulling on the first valuable item they see. Cables and chargers are easy to find elsewhere or just get excluded from the shady sale. Point is, a simple cable secured to a solid structure is enough. Granted the would-be thief will then probably drop the thing and break it, but that's why you keep the cable short and pray for the rest.

I think I only ever heard of one instance where someone came with wire cutters during my entire time at uni.
>>
It's all about trusting your roommate to not steal your shit, allow strangers in the room, or leave the door open.
>>
>mfw americans have to share rooms with other people
>>
>>implying that wont pick up beacon after stolen
>>implying everyone stealz
>>implying coffee or irish coffee gets regulary spilled
>>implying that some half breed faggot intentionally can putty press your key
>>implying you dont know who your dorm partner is, or what arrangements have been discussed

>>has not realised that event log is recorded
>>still gives benfit of doubt when obvious tamper is apparent

If i was you i would an hero and leave tech in will to dorm partner
>>
live on the top floor of the building
>>
>>45363569
Also, some schools require on-campus living for a certain number of semesters, with exemptions only for people who rent or own homes within a certain distance from campus.
>>
>be roommate
>other guy always brings in expensive shit like gayman laptops
>like an idiot, he leaves it in the dorm during certain classes
>make Craigslist posting for that laptop
>invite customers to look at it while roommate is in class
>sell it cheap, its free money
>roommate comes back
>yo bro where's my laptop
>I thought you had it
And that's that.
>>
>>45363604
what? why?
>>
>>45363657
Because they own campus housing and even properties very near the campus in that defined radius. Cash grab under the guise of building community and some "studies" about student academic performance with time spent on campus.
>>
>>45363657
3.2k a year.
>>
>>45363501

>heart compilations

oh god I laughed way too hard at that

It's "palpitations", anon
>>
Renters insurance, get some.

Also, you can get a rider policy to cover individual items outside of your room against damage and theft. I've got $15,000 in photo gear covered, and it saved my ass when my D800E + lens committed suicide by falling 8' onto concrete.
>>
>>45363610
I hope you get your throat slit wide open, and your anus rammed raw by bbcs, with your body strung up at the entrance to your campus with nigger cum overflowing from your intestines, dripping down your legs.
>>
>>45363657
More shekels.
Higher education is a carefully orchestrated scam in the US.
And you need to play their game, because you are not getting hired over the idiot with the $70,000 piece of paper even if you have more experience than him.
>>
>>45363681
Careful not to cut yourself with all that edge, kiddo.
>>
>>45363321
in my res we were lan-ing dota and we left to get snacks. We went into the elevator to go get some food(we were on the third floor). As we got off, two guys went into the elevator. One of my friends went back up the stairs because he left his laptop in his backpack in the common area. Sure enough, laptop was gone. It was fucked
>>
>>45363681
You can tell that he wouldn't actually do it because his plan is awful.

He should leave the room before his roommate does, but not actually depart from the building. Then grab the laptop along with one of his own tech gadgets and walk out of the residence hall without getting spotted. He'll stow his own gadget somewhere and go about selling the laptop. When roommate returns, he finds shit missing. Anon then comes back having been "gone the whole time" to "find his own shit missing too." The delayed departure from the residence hall is because many are logged by keycard and he doesn't want to have his re-entry on the record. The really critical step here is to also avoid getting seen or caught on camera exiting a building he had already supposedly left.

Because Anon didn't mention any of this, I doubt he's a true cunt.
>>
>Gay roommates

How do you keep your butthole secure in this environment, /g/?
>>
>>45363723
Overcomplicating things.
This is how I can tell you don't live in a dorm.
>>
>>45363753
You rape them first
>>
>>45363306
None of my shit's really considered valuable so I just leave it on my desk.

I do usually fall asleep with my laptop so I guess that makes it harder to steal.
>>
>>45363721
>my friend left his expensive technology alone in a public area and someone stole it!
Yeah see, just don't do that
>>
File: thisone.png (72 KB, 241x274) Image search: [Google]
thisone.png
72 KB, 241x274
>>45363753
By keeping your buttplug in at all times
Don't all straight men know the procedure?
What are you?
Gay?
>>
File: 1408562234163.jpg (33 KB, 360x296) Image search: [Google]
1408562234163.jpg
33 KB, 360x296
>>45363993

>mfw some people have to do this because their dildoeing caused their anus to stretch to large enough proportions to warrant a buttplug to prevent shit leakage
>>
>>45364014
I-I ordered a small dildo from bd. S-Should I be worried?
>>
If I lived in a dorm, I'd just bring my laptop (600 dollar Samshit laptop) and that's probably it. My laptop looks like a regular windows laptop and it looks super generic. I'll obviously sync things to the butt and an external HDD so that in the case if it actually gets stolen, I'll at least have my files backed up. Laptops can be replaced, but important notes and files are almost impossible to retrieve once they are stolen.

Also, people who fucking steal backpacks and computers full of important school stuff should have their fucking fingers chopped off. There are 100s of hours of work in those notes and electronics and some fucker wanting easy money decides to ruin it.

I opted out of dorms since my parents house is 10 minutes away from my college. Maybe I'll dorm a few quarters with a friend (we'll have to make rules and try to avoid each other as much as we can).
>>
>>45364025

If it's like the size of a finger to medium banana, you'd be fine if you used it like once a week

dunno about any bigger though

The human body is truly a scientific blunder
>>
>>45363993
Buttplugs require lube and stretch out the anus.

What if they pull it out and find my butthole has already been prepared for their penis?
>>
>>45364025
No
this is the natural procession
start with small dildos up to buttplugs for max protection
>>
>>45364053
That's the trick
you don't lube up
and while they are taking the time to pull your buttplug out with you clenching you will have enough time to get your dick out and start peeing on them
All gays fear the sensation of being peed on by other men
>>
>>45363676
shiiiiit, I thought palpitations but I guess I typed complications
>>
>>45363721
Wow what a surprise, retard leaves expensive thing behind, it gets taken.

I'm actually fucking glad, retards like that deserve it.
>>
>never move in to student dorms
>find own studio apartment in a nicer side of town
>endure the 20-30 minute bus commute so you don't have to worry about some nigger stealing your shit while at lectures

Funny thing is it was cheaper for me that way, easier to get my shopping done & didn't have to deal with horror stories of drunks coming in at 2-3 am in the morning shouting at each other or playing loud music.
>>
>>45365328
whats a studio apartment
>>
>>45365328
Too bad I go to a college in the east bay area and the only places with cheap rent is fucking Oakland.
>>
How do you keep your tech secure in a Norwegian prison cell?
>>
>>45365364
fuck that looks more clean and better than the shit im living in right now as a fucking neet

fuck being swedish, literally impossible to get a job if u have middle eastern name and looks

i should've just moved to the US with my brother last year
>>
>>45365344
studio=living room, kitchen, bedroom are all one room

usually this means a small, cheap apartment ideal for a single student, although there are nice and spacious and expensive studios available in most markets
>>
>>45363306
I molest my roomates
>>
>>45365328
I hope to get something like that maybe next year. I'm renting a room for the price of a studio cause the city went into extortionate mode towards the start of the school year.
>>
>>45363306
>Never let the laptop leave the room.
>Take the shitty G3 iBook instead.
>Lock the door, close the shades (first floor).
>>
>>45365369
Why not just punch a cop?
>>
File: öppenanstalt.jpg (937 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
öppenanstalt.jpg
937 KB, 2560x1920
>>45365364
>How do you keep your tech secure in a Swedish prison cell?

Ask this guy.
>>
>>45365369
Sweden is importing muslims like crazy and rolling out the red carpet for them, but they won't hire?

wat
>>
>>45365406
im currently looking for a job under a swedish name and when they get really surprised at me since im middle eastern, im going to record it with those cameras that is naked to the eye and see if they actually say anything stupid related to it and get tons of money for it when i accuse them for hate crime
>>
>>45363610
>be roommate
>laptop goes missing from my room
>I diligently keep my door locked, and there was no sign of forced entry
>ask him where it is
>"IDK bro"
>wait a week
>it's night
>lurk in the shadows behind his car
>beat the shit out of him and then some
>still don't know if he actually did it or not
And that's that.
>>
dumpster/find/buy a cheap desktop. No one is going to steal your dual core craiglist desktop when your room mates leave their Macbook pros laying around.

Or get a ~$300 thinkpad like the rest of /g/
>>
>live with parents
>have three rooms for myself because my brothers moved out
>if I dont lock my door my room gets cleaned up
welp
>>
>>45365434
Yeah its fucked up.

if you want a job, you gotta be a Somalian or Swede.
if you're european or middle eastern or asian, you're fucked because nobody is gonna hire you since they wont gain any benefits and as you know, swedes are

if you do get hired here as a non swede/somalian, it's because the company literally gets to pay less taxes for having immigrants.

its really sad, i mainly think this shitty immigration policy is due to "fas 3" where you get paid 300 euros per month for working 10-13 hours a day.
most of the people stuck in fas 3 happen to be serbs, arabs, spanish, italian, iranians, koreans and much more.

of course, no swede or somalian is ever in fas 3 :^)
google it if you don't believe me, just "fas 3" is enough.
>>
>>45365328
>implying

I wish. The school I went to required two years of dorm use.

Dont want to? Go to another school.
>>
>>45363306

that dorm room looks like a fucking paradise

mine's like half the size and there's this fucking huge bookshelf slash closet made out of soggy fucked up wood that's a hundred years old and tilted and it takes up like the entire fucking space and it's too fucking big to even move it to the fucking common area

I am seriously considering putting it flat and fucking sleeping in it like a vampire just so it's not being a useless waste of space
>>
>>45365369
Protip - you're not swedish.
>>
>>45365481
i meant swedish as in i was born and live here

protip - nobody wishes they were swedish, you are known to be cucklovers for a reason and its nothing to boast about
>>
>>45365460
Everything is in Swedish and Google does a bad machine translation, but I think I get the gist.

You could always go to England. They too have a hard-on for muslims, so you could probably just say allahu ackbar a bunch and someone will just give you a job.
>>
>>45363505
>Spoken like an authentic neckbeard
Don't listen to this guy.
>>
>>45363306
Unless you're letting niggers or spics into your room, you should be fine. Keep your door locked and pray that your roommate isn't a fucking thief.
>>
>>45365507
oh i'm not a muslim
>>
>>45365495
Enjoy being a poor shitskin dirt person.
>>
>>45365530
>poor
nope i just dont want to pay taxes or buy anything here, i actually drive to denmark or germany to buy things

reminder the average swede will literally be a nigger in 40-50 years. i don't know whats more disgusting, it has now been scientifically proven that pigs can indeed become apes.
>>
>>45363306
Are people nigger enough to steal clothes at university? I have nice clothes and shoes that I don't want to be stolen.
>>
>>45365524
I know, but it doesn't matter. You have to pretend you are an oppressed special snowflake. The more leftists you make cry over your story, the faster you'll get employed.

Pardon my /pol/. I will now return to /g/ mode
>>
>>45365434
Just like in the United States? There is no jobs if you want something acceptable.
>>
Would it be agaitns the aw/normal uni policies to keep your room under personal surveillance?
>>
>>45365603
Depends on who you know or how much you lie.
>>
>>45363391
Every Ivy League dorm has shared rooms for freshmen dipshit.
>>
>>45365478
Why the hell would they require that?

I'm going to uni in Melbourne, and decided to rent a one bed room apartment. Turns out to be cheaper, especially when it comes to internet.
>>
File: 1408995065172.jpg (317 KB, 1230x917) Image search: [Google]
1408995065172.jpg
317 KB, 1230x917
You could make a sleeper pc, could be a fun project.

Extra points if you're one of those fags who still likes CRT.
>>
>>45365507
>implying britain isnt slowly turning on immigrants and muslims

google Lee Rigby and Rotherham Sex Scandal
>>
>>45363306
I don't understand how anyone could possibly live in the same room with someone else. At least in the dorm fashion.
Glad I'm not a burger and I have my own room here on campus. Only 3 other housemates who also have their own rooms. The only rooms I have to share with them are bathroom, toilet and kitchen. Shit's great.
>>
>>45365432
Holy fuck, I would voluntarily live there.
>>
>>45367384
>sucking all the dust in the room directly into the GPU
yes brilliant.
>>
>>45363306
>sharing a room with someone

anglos are disgusting
>>
>>45367384
That cpu fan is not taking in air from outside the case
>>
>>45367384
why he removed the floppy?
>>
>>45365369
>literally impossible
depends on where you live. In the stockholm area arabs are hired by the truckload to fast food restaurants and other simpler jobs.

Or just start studying. It's fucking free and you get money from the government
>>
I rent my own room which I lock when I go out.
Only laptop worth stealing is one I always keep on me and I have a habit of locking my PC when I leave it.
I also have a huge ass heavy case so good luck stealing that.
>>45367384
>not liking the *bwrong* sound when you first turn on the monitor in the morning
>not wanting free eye surgery
>>
>>45365432
That's a prison?
>>
>If we are talking about the US, You don't because theft is common place there, Good luck!
>>
>Most popular mu thread is about american mutilated dicks
>Go to /g/ and click on a benign thread to hear more about americans getting fucked over

For fucks sake, every god damn day - this place is fourth world I swear
>>
Dorming helps you make friends much more easier, but yeah privacy is gone out the window
>>
>>45363676

No it's heart compilations

every time he say the door open it messed up his body configs and heart compatibility with other organs, so he had to re-compile his heart so that It worked again
>>
fit your desktop case with a touch-sensitive rape alarm so that anyone attempting to lift it from the base triggers it.
>>
File: 20140114_235406_Android.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140114_235406_Android.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I never had an issue even with a ton of expensive electronics. Just locked my room when I was out and didnt show off too much to people I didn't know. Had a single room so that made a huge difference though.
>>
I've never heard of someone stealing from the rooms in my school. My school only has apartment style dorms and the main door auto locks so I only have to worry about my roommates and suitemates who have always been my friends.
>>
>>45366840

You're full of shit.

Also, you think that most of the students live in dorms? Fuck no. You really think they'd go from 12 years at a prep school in Connecticut to a crap 1970s dorm with bad lighting and rats? They have off campus apartments so they don't have to deal with the immigrants who are on scholarship stinking up the place with their BO and curry.

Stop talking out your ass, pleb.
>>
>>45363604

Oh, you're talking about Harvard extension. Yeah, the school where you can get a degree from Harvard and the only admission requirement is the limit on your credit card. You need to take at least one class there, so you haul your ass up to Boston for an accelerated class.

"Residency" means that you take classes there. That's for the transfer students. Schools want to make sure they have you on the hook for a certain number of hours, and this is one way to do it.
>>
>>45368240
As someone who is in an IVY league. You are retarded. An hero.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.