[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 26
File: question.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
Do you have a stupid question that doesn't deserve its own thread that you're itching to ask the many weebs and dweebs here about?

post it here
>>
>have windows 7
>want to have print screen capture and save images instantly like most linux distro's
any freeware out there do this without requiring an internet connection?
>>
So I managed to corrupt my windows 7 install after 4 years, and I can't remember the site I got it from.

I really don't want to risk torrenting from piratebay or something like that, so where is the best place to get windows 7? I remember the version I got was a website that came with a guide, and showed you how to verify if your copy of windows was legit.

Also, would it be worth it to upgrade to 8.1? Or should I just wait until something better comes along, maybe windows 10?
>>
How would I be able to update my Nexus 5 to Lollipop 5.0 stock ROM from CM11 4.4.4? Would I need to also flash kernels, recovery, GApps?
>>
>>45319457
digital river
>>
>>45319488
Bumppp pleeaaaase
>>
Why would a sysadmin / team of sysadmins remove the ability to screenshot on terminals?
>>
File: Steve Jobs Quotes (1).jpg (21 KB, 450x229) Image search: [Google]
Steve Jobs Quotes (1).jpg
21 KB, 450x229
>>45319597
"Simplicity."
>>
>>45319488
Stock image from Google comes with gapps. The image comes with a script that flashes os, recovery, and radios. I.e. returns phone to a completely factory state. The script will erase everything on the phone so back up your shit.
>>
>>45319399
Is there anyway to protect yourself from tools like ntpasswd and ophcrack in the event your laptop is stolen? I am assuming encryption but how might might a person set up encryption on Windows 7?
>>
File: 1409588828254.png (747 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1409588828254.png
747 KB, 750x750
>>45319399
Does anyone know of a good free day planner or scheduler? Its surprisingly hard to find one.
>>
>>45320111
Truecrypt can do disk level encryption for windows 7, but last I heard that project was abandoned. Windows 8 and beyond have a native utility for system disk encryption, I believe. Just Google "windows system disk encryption"
>>
>>45320120
Google.
Calendar.google.com
>>
>>45320147
need something I can access offline.
>>
>>45320120
LibrePlan or OptaPlanner maybe?
>>
>>45319399
Why is my backup taking days? I am backing up my files on my Windows 7 PC to upgrade to Windows 8. I have about 2 TB of files to backup. I have backed up less than 1 TB (45%) and it has been like 36 hours.

I am using a 4 TB Seagate external hard drive.
>>
>>45320183
Stop using USB 1.1.
>>
>>45320189
If I use a different USB port on my machine will it go faster? Should I use a back port instead of a front port?
>>
>>45320181
>OptaPlanner
Looks a bit complicated but i will check it out. Thanks.
>>
>>45320198
>Should I use a back port instead of a front port?

Bingo
>>
>>45320198
If you're actually using USB 1.1, try to find one that's USB 2.0 or higher. Of course, it could also be that you just have too much shit. 2TB is a lot.
>>
>>45319416
Alt+PrtScr
Win+R
mspaint
Ctrl+V

Works fast if you get ised to it, and only require keys. No additional bloatware, or any fancy software needed
>>
I have kali on a live usb with persistence.
So far, I have come to the understanding that the persistent partition is just a separate partition that I can store files on.

Is it that, or is it another version of my distro, and the live version is just another one as well, therefore taking up almost twice the space?

I want to update my distro. Do I just click on the "persistence" option?

Additionally, when I boot with it, it beeps (no other live CDs/USBs do this on this machine). How do I disable the beep?
>>
>>45320221
How do I know if it's not the Seagate with the slow USB connection?
>>
I bought a new Weller WESD51 soldering statiom for 52 dollars on ebay. Did I get scammed?
>>
>>45320120
Trello
>>
Does anybody know a decent monitor that has a headphone jack? I wont be using the jack for the PC but for when i connect my ps3 through HDMI, so I dont have to use the shitty speakers built in to the monitor.
>>
>>45320198
Never use front ports.
Maybe for led lights and other gadgats, but no data transfer.
>>
>>45319399
Anybody using Xen or Qemu with VGA passthrough to run games in *Nix on a VM? I have some questions for somebody who's actually doing it.
>>
File: Rage_face.png (8 KB, 409x258) Image search: [Google]
Rage_face.png
8 KB, 409x258
>>45320183
>>45320189
>>45320198
>>45320220
>>45320262
>>45320294

Nevermind. I just checked all of the ports. All of them are 2.0, even the Segate's port.

Worst of all, when I lifted the Seagate to look at its port logo the USB connection fell out and now I have to start over again. See you in three days /g/.

Pic related.

>mfw the USB slipped out of the Seagate external hardrive
>>
File: 1288399-amd-apu-a10.png (86 KB, 1099x929) Image search: [Google]
1288399-amd-apu-a10.png
86 KB, 1099x929
How do you prononunce APU?
Is it ay pee you or ah poo?
>>
>>45320364
ah poo because AMD a shit.
>>
>>45320370
Thanks, anon, as if I didn't know AMD is shite.
But seriously, what's the correct pronunciation?
>>
File: apuflag.gif (23 KB, 539x599) Image search: [Google]
apuflag.gif
23 KB, 539x599
>>45320364
>ah poo
>>
how long did it take you guys to feel competent when programming and discussing technology? I feel like every time I come on here I'm googling and trying to figure out different words/topics/etc.

How long until these words stop looking like hieroglyphics? haha
>>
Forgive me if I use the wrong terminology here.
I just downloaded CSipSimple for android and was wondering which SIP server I should register with (or is it SIP trunking server?). Are there any that run on totally free and open source software? Any that are encrypted?
Also what is the difference between a service like this and google voice? I know google must purchase number pools or something, right? Also, their servers must route my call to someone's phone when I call someone's google number because I called my buddy's google voice number when his data was off and his cell still rang. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Thinking of setting up an ownCloud server at home for personal cloud storage. Anyone have experience with this? Is it a good option?
>>
>>45320423
when i started with python, it was 2 weeks until i had that moment where i realized i really did understand what i was reading. another 2-3 week later, i was at the point where i could read code in other languages and understand what was going on

that was 1-3 hours everyday of work. i still have large gaps about other things though. just be persistent and work everyday, and it will come to you. find some good books to read
>>
>>45320364
ayy pee you
>>
>>45320430
Bout to head off to bed. Desperate bump
>>
the Asus X205TA is going to be on sale on black friday for 99$ and I was wondering if it is a worthwhile buy. I mainly would use it for homework/testing code/watching chinese cartoons in between classes. I already have a t60p for this purpose but the X205TA holds a much longer charge.
>>
>>45320555
The CPU performance will be a little worse, but the graphics performance is about 2x faster than the T60p with dedicated ATi Graphics.
You will not be installing Linux on it because drivers are non-existant for BayTrail-T, that's if you can get the distro you like running on it in the first place thanks to the shitty unsupported 32bit UEFI.
Other than that, it makes a solid Windows netbook.
>>
Noob question:

All those "Is this build good" threads...Wouldn't it be easier (if you had the money) to just buy the fastest video card, RAM, CPU and build the best system? Or is fastest video card =/= best video card?
>>
>>45320590
Yes. But you know, the vast majority of people on 4chan aren't rich.
>>
How do I get a "refresh index and return to top"-button like in the old 4chan X? I'm using ccd0s fork
>>
>>45320430
please /g/uys ;_;
>>
Can I use a 32" 100Hz 1080p TV as a monitor without issues?
>>
>>45319399
10bit videos are a bigger file size than 8bit ones right? and even if they are the same size then the 10bit is only showing the video at 8 bit but a higher store size right?
>>
>>45320827
No. 10-bit encoding has higher compression so for the same source to the same video, 10-bit will actually be lower.

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-158991.html
>>
>>45320781
wont look very good.. dpi
>>
>>45320871
Explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcgg7jq1W3o [
>>
File: cocoaustin5.jpg (19 KB, 420x592) Image search: [Google]
cocoaustin5.jpg
19 KB, 420x592
How do I access a port on my computer from the web from my browser? I don't know what to search because I'm a retard. I use Linux.
>>
>>45321129
127.0.0.1:port
>>
>>45321137
But I want other people to be able to access it too.
>>
>>45321142
oh whoops. you'd either need you public IP address (your router) or setup a server and use that IP address
>>
File: wack ass crystal prison.gif (289 KB, 499x373) Image search: [Google]
wack ass crystal prison.gif
289 KB, 499x373
So I've been running Debian testing for a couple of months now in Virtualbox. Haven't had any problems with it until recently when after an arbitrary amount of time after booting (varies between 10 minutes to three hours) it would suddenly shoot up to 100% CPU load, grinding pretty much everything on both the host (Win7) and the guest to a halt. This happens regardless of what I'm doing on the guest, it happens even when idling. Any idea what's causing this and/or how to stop/prevent it?
>>
If I'm using an external graphics card is there any way to get the video outputs on my motherboard to output image or am I limited to the outputs on my card?
>>
I bought 4•2 terabyte hdd's to attach to each of my four PC's for backup. I wish their was a way to backup my network using 1•2 terabyte HDD. Any ideas?
>>
>>45321162
That gif made me snort loudly at work. Fuck.
>>
any tips for 200mm fans?
>>
>>45320261
BUMPING QUESTION
>>
Amazon.com
your local computer store
or enroll into an IT course that offers you a Dreamspark account.
>>
File: Cirno10.png (119 KB, 640x346) Image search: [Google]
Cirno10.png
119 KB, 640x346
I AM A BAKA!

So my father had his computer fall down on the carpet and it was a prebulit garbage type. It's now fucked up and won't start up, here is what it says:

1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.
Failing Drive: Hitachi HDS721050CLA662
Failing Attribute: # 05

He attempted to reinstall windows but it he can't get anywhere (He isn't the computer type) When I opened up the case I didn't see a way to get to the harddrive I don't think I have the right tools for it, could anybody please help me? Can the hard drive be replaced or is buying a new compute the only way? My father doesn't use it for much so a new, better, computer isn't what he needs.
>>
Going to try python for programming challenges should I be using 2.X.X or 3.X.X? I remember a few guides going years back saying to always go with 2.X.X because it would be supported and used for years to come but is this still the case?
>>
Why are all of the things I read conflicting about this.
Is the Windows NT kernel a micro-kernel? Wikipedia says it's a hybrid-kernel, but some posts on Stackoverflow and random blogs say it's a micro-kernel.
>>
>>45321425
Get a new hard drive.
>>45321298
Cheapest one
>>45320652
Edit css
>>
>>45321425

SMART error 05 mean hard drive is fucked. you can put in a new one easily with only a screwdriver. hard drives are very sensitive to drops and impacts; be gentle with it. look up a guide online and read the instructions so you know what you are doing, since you are a baka.

follow the SATA cable from the motherboard to the hard drive to find it. SATA cables are thin blue ribbons with small heads, and it will say "SATA" in tiny text on the motherboard where they plug in.
>>
>>45321450

Differences between Python 2 and 3.

>python 2
print "something"
raw_input()
range(5) returns a list containing 0, 1, 2, 3 and 5

>python 3
print("something")
input()
range(5) creates a sequence type and you can convert it to a list with the list() function

I'm a beginner though, but that's what I noticed after going through a Python 2 and then 3 book. One of the books had a nice passage about which Python version to choose. Basically, it boiled down to: if you don't know which one, choose 3.
>>
>>45321489

>containing 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4*
NOT 5. Mistake.
>>
>>45321489
>them differences
So Python 3 is more verbose?
>>
File: Cirno7.png (3 KB, 106x106) Image search: [Google]
Cirno7.png
3 KB, 106x106
>>45321482
>>45321487

Thank you very much and have an wonderful day!
>>
>>45321425

Need to see what the case looks like. Post pics of it opened.

Also, exact model/make and a link to technical specs would be good.

If a normal tower PC, replacing or adding hard drives is pretty trivial. If it's a more compact design, gets trickier but still not bad.

But, with seeing what we're dealing with it's really impossible to help with your questions as asked.

The SMART failure you describe means a new drive is required. Best if you can replace the mechanical HDD with an SSD, both for performance and durability.

Given the damage/fall you described, there could also be other things wrong, so replacing the drive may not be the only fix required, but you may not be able to determine the other damage until you've invested in the drive.

If you were to buy an SSD and attempt to fix this computer, it could be used in another if this computer is broken beyond repair. Get a new PC with a working mechanical HDD for cheap, clone it to the SSD and get big performance up grade and use the HDD as a storage device, for example. Just a possible strategy where you aren't throwing your money away; it'll be invested in a useful fashion one way or another.
>>
>>45321518

When the computer fell it made a loud, long, beeping, noise. That is why I'm certin that a new hard hard-drive is all it needs. It has no problem going into the bios or loading up the windows disk, but thank you for the advise. I'll be sure to keep it in mind
>>
>>45321493

Of course there's more, but those are the few ones I noticed which affect a beginner. If you're more advanced, you will probably notice more.
>>
>>45321541
Going to a few blogs on Python 2.7 vs 3.3, they said there's far more documentation and libraries available for 2.7. With small things like the way print and a few other things work it seems much easier to pick up the basics with 2.7. Will try that.
>>
>>45321537

'Kay. Sounds like you're on-track to give it a go w/ reasonable chance of success. If you get stuck, post back.

Also forgot to mention, pretty cheap refurbished systems can be found if this one needs replaced. Knowing basic hardware specs and which Windows you're using would help a bit if you post back with more questions along these lines.

Good luck!
>>
Why can't we install Windows or a full Linux distro in a console (like Xbox)?
>>
>>45321554

I just started reading those too after trying to find that website/book again which had that nice explanation I mentioned above.
All those blogs and comments really seem to hate Python 3. Had I read that before, it might have influenced my decision to stick with 2. Now that I tried 3, I have to say it's the same and can only become better. But then again, I don't really ever use any of those external modules which Python 2 seems to have a wast amount of.
>>
>>45319416
Who are these people that don't know about snipping tool

it's inbuilt
>>
>>45321594
Dunno for sure, but probably locked bootloaders that will only load cryptographically signed kernels, which in turn will only run signed programs, thus controlling what you are allowed to do with the machine as a way to prevent you from cheating and pirating and so on.

This is one major reason I won't be buying a console this generation, even though I've had a current one since elementary school. They are just computers that have been intentionally crippled for the sake of the manufacturer's bottom line.
>>
>>45321594

Actually, depending upon the console, there are some custom-made linux distros that can be installed. Not exactly plug-and-play, but some Wizards out there have figured how to do it and make it available. Spiff up your google-fu for the exact model you are interested in and you may get lucky.

Otherwise, the reason you "can't" is the proprietary hardware used. To install Windows, you would need the kernal and the drivers to support the chips & electronics in the console. those specifications generally aren't available, and the vendors don't develop custom OS builds because they want you to use their proprietary shit.

Finally, what do you want to use it for? As a PC? As a gaming system? Re-purpose as a STEAMbox? As a server? Router? Firewall? You might find a linux kernal that loads, but it doesn't do anything useful for you such as play games or movies even if it acts as a web browser or text terminal.
>>
>>45321188
NAS is your solution

Listen to Illmatic a lot
>>
My y460 shuts off after booting for like 20 seconds, unless it's in BIOS. Is it really as simple as an overheating problem, since I've not replaced the thermal paste in 4 years, or is something borked?
>>
File: 1385887500743.jpg (39 KB, 612x401) Image search: [Google]
1385887500743.jpg
39 KB, 612x401
How low can computer components temps go before it becomes a problem?
Im not talking while running, rather while off.

Beings as its winter, where I live its fucking freezing cold in the early morinings. Like literally so cold I can almost see my breath when I wake up in the morining when im inside.
This time of the year my CPU tends to idle at 23C~24C, so when its off when im sleeping it must be noticblely lower than that for hours at a time.

But nothing seems to be going wrong as of yet, and I might just be being concerned for nothing.
But I would rather know.
>>
>>45321716
Computer parts are completely fine being cold.
Only around liquid nitrogen temperatures does the cold become a problem.
However if the CPU is below ambient temperatures (which it isn't in your case), it can cause condensation, which is bad for the CPU.
>>
>>45321716
Computers will operate just fine well below freezing, as long as the humidity is low. Freezing temps + humidity could cause serious problems for a computer.
>>
File: bhs3000_5_191137486755.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bhs3000_5_191137486755.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
Is there a bluetooth headset without speakers like in pic related that support aptx? excluding pic ofc
>>
>>45320111
>>45320139
Windows 8.1 does not have a builtin encryption tool. Only Windows 8.1 PRO has the builtin encryption (BitLocker). This is also included in Windows 7 Enterprise.
>>
>>45321594
>Why can't we install Windows
Because Wangblow$ is closed-source; just try porting that to a new architecture.

>a full Linux distro
This could be done in principle, but it wouldn't really be practical, since
> You'd no longer be able to play any of the console's games
> You could have just bought a computer instead and saved yourself the trouble
> You'd be pretty much on your own when it comes to getting shit to run on it; most software is targeted for x86(_64) or ARM for mobile stuff, consoles generally use whatever architecture is most convenient
>>
>>45319457

1. Download OFFICIAL windows .iso from Microsoft themselves:
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso
(You probably want Win7 Ultimate)
These links on the site are digitalriver. A microsoft site.

2. Activate with Daz Windows Loader
Download from here:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9880595/Windows_Loader_v2.2.2-Daz

Check with the md5sum from here first:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/54168-Windows-Loader-Download?p=120996&viewfull=1#post120996

If you can find a legit Windows 7 Enterprise .iso (which has the same features as Ultimate) you can install that and activate it with Microsoft Toolkit if you want. Ultimate doesn't work with Microsoft Toolkit though, only Daz.
(http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products)
>>
File: 1274994757959.gif (4 KB, 344x326) Image search: [Google]
1274994757959.gif
4 KB, 344x326
Are any of these "deals" worth it?
I've been eyeing this one some
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Daily_System_Deal/
>Yes i know prebuilt
I want a new everything and i'm not 100% sure where to make the most of these black friday deals
>>
>>45321129
Forward the port in your router to your computer. Google it. "Port forwarding"
>>
>>45321945
>LEDs inside the case
>LEDs inside the case that aren't warning lights
>muh gaming chasis
>muh gaming mouse and keyboard
>doesn't even come with a display

It's "worth" it if you're paying for looks rather than function.
>>
I've asked this before, but no help. How do 4chan apps generate a recaptcha challenge that will validate against 4chans private recaptcha key??
>>
Any tips to get an external (USB 2.0 WD Elements) drive to be seen by the PC? It fell on the floor on Saturday, and while I managed to save some stuff yesterday (thanks Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), I'd rather migrate directly to the new drive, rather than re-download fucking everything.

Also, will R-Tools work, even though I can't access the drive via Windows Explorer? It did excellent work in saving an older drive of mine a few years back, but I haven't kept up with it on this PC.
>>
>>45321977
Oh and I know of the freezer trick, I meant something current, rather than 12 hours later.
>>
I'm trying to set up a SFTP access on a Debian server for a third party and I want them to be jailed inside their home directory
this is the sftp config in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Subsystem sftp internal-sftp -f AUTH -1 INFO
UsePAM yes
Match group filetransfer
ChrootDirectory /home/%u
X11Forwarding no
AllowTcpForwarding no
ForceCommand internal-sftp

Everytime I try to connect to the server through the sftp user, I receive this error:
Error:    Connection closed by server with exitcode 1
Error: Could not connect to server

After googling for a while, I couldn't find any solution to fix this problem. The fuck did I do wrong? Yes, the user is in the filetransfer group.
>>
>>45321968
I don't care about aesthetics i just want a good rig
I wanna make the best of any cheap stuff i can get
Don't even know where to look
Some prebuilts seem like they might be worth it but that aside i'm fuckin clueless
>>
File: 1416261771387 (1).jpg (33 KB, 343x393) Image search: [Google]
1416261771387 (1).jpg
33 KB, 343x393
What is Wordpress?

advantages and disadvantages for creating a website / store with it?

thank you
>>
>>45322002
>implyign that's how chroot works

You'll need a copy of any and all software/libraries that are going to be run in the new "root"; at minimum:

>/home/%u/bin/sh
>>
>>45322039
Then avoid "gaming" computers, they're all overpriced garbage.

>Don't even know where to look
>Amazon
>Newegg
>Various OEMs (Dell, Samsung, etc) websites
>>
>>45322043
A content management system. It's a higher level framework for PHP built to allow non-technical users access to a console where they can create, update, and delete entries (think blog posts) and moderate their comments. It has a billion plugins, so people do a lot more than make blogs with it these days
>>
What sort of interesting things can I do with MIDI?

In the same theme: Does a program exist that permits me to use custom sounds as the sound-font without hassle?

And naturally, which soundfonts are better than the nonsense windows provides?
>>
Does anyone know of an extremely low profile PHP server that can be run on android as well as have desktop version? I'm looking to sync a personal project across many devices that self serves.
>>
File: 1416391468425.png (11 KB, 620x600) Image search: [Google]
1416391468425.png
11 KB, 620x600
I just installed gnome power manager with
 yaourt -S gnome-power-manager 

What's the terminal command to pull up the interface?
 gnome-power-manager 
doesn't do anything.
>>
>>45321976
Bumping for crafty webdev answers
>>
>>45322269
>What's the terminal command to pull up the interface?

This one?
gnome-power-statistics
>>
File: MouseFunc2.png (3 KB, 397x166) Image search: [Google]
MouseFunc2.png
3 KB, 397x166
Now this might be a stupid question, but I recently installed win7 again and I can't scroll by clicking the middle button of the mouse anymore.
What might be the problem?
>>
File: 1414996263501.jpg (217 KB, 930x1446) Image search: [Google]
1414996263501.jpg
217 KB, 930x1446
/v/irgin here, what graphics card should I pair with a i5 3550 @3.30 ghz? 1080p display.
>>
>>45322269
yaourt -S powertop
sudo powertop
>>
Which of these modems should I get?

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6183-DOCSIS/dp/B00MA5U1FW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825112011
>>
>>45322344
Isn't there a way to change the settings, like suspend and hibernate somewhere?
>>
File: LQn852c.jpg (115 KB, 897x897) Image search: [Google]
LQn852c.jpg
115 KB, 897x897
I'm on debian and need to run some games that do poorly in WINE like some visual novels.
I'm double booting with windows on it's own partition.
Is there a way to run it from VM?
Also PSP/GBA/DS emulator for linux?
The wiki didn't have anything about it.
>>
Good ROM that improves performance with little battery change and respects my freedom? For Nexus 5?
>>
File: 11-667x439[1].jpg (38 KB, 667x439) Image search: [Google]
11-667x439[1].jpg
38 KB, 667x439
>>45322525
Sailfish OS for Hammerhead
>>
>>45320261
>kali on a live usb with persistence
how did you do that?
>>
>>45322496
>Isn't there a way to change the settings, like suspend and hibernate somewhere?

I'm not sure; this might help though:
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome#Power
>>
>>45320294
>Never use front ports.
mine don't even work
>>
>>45322542
thanks
>>
Any ausfags had experience with SpinTel mobile plans? Their flexible plan seems like really good value.
Ill get Optus 4G as well. 2.5GB data, unlimited texts and 50 minutes of calls for $30 suits me well, and their bumping up (if i ever have to use it) would be useful.
Only bad thing ive heard is that they take a while to port your number through from other providers.

https://www.spintel.net.au/products/mobile
>>
>>45322515
PCI passthrough will get you near native performance, but you'll need a second video card.
>>
I had a lunch today with a CS guy and he said ASP.NET is the best way to make websites now.
How legit is this?
>>
>>45321537
Check HDD connection first though.
>>
>>45322564
>CS guy
>CS

There's your problem. Computer science is all theory; this is like asking a math major about the best materials for building your bridge.

>How legit is this?
Depends on your exact needs. For example:

>ASP.NET
>on a Unix server
>wtf are you doing
>>
I think I fucked up. The other day I decided to try and install Legend of Grimrock through gog's deb installer. My computer started running very slowly, and a couple minutes into the install I got a warning that my root partition was running low on space. I panicked, because I only have about 1.5 GB of space left on that partition, and used xkill to stop the installer. Now whenever I try to install anything through apt, I get
>E: The package gog-legend-of-grimrock needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
The error also shows up when trying to use Update Manager.
Did I ruin everything? I was planning to reinstall Mint at the end of the semester anyway.
>>
>>45322634
>Did I ruin everything?

Try
apt-get purge gog-legend-of-grimrock

as root and hope that apt's database isn't completely fucked.
>>
File: 1372673288457.png (2 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1372673288457.png
2 KB, 142x138
Does the actual cable you use to charge a device matter if you use the same plug?

Do the cheap ones do the job and shit? My USB cable on my charger screwed up so I bought a replacement to plug into the charger and now my tablet doesn't even charge properly at all. The USB cable on my other tablet is also coming apart
>>
File: FVqpCs2.jpg (135 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
FVqpCs2.jpg
135 KB, 768x1024
>>45322557
>PCI passthrough
I don't think I need that?
It's just some VNs.
Also is it possible to do this?
>I'm double booting with windows on it's own partition.
>Is there a way to run it from VM?
If so what VM do you recommend also these?
>PSP/GBA/DS emulator for linux?
>>
>>45322631
To be honest he told me he's a computer engineering majored in networking.
>Depends on your exact needs
Build a website interactive one too.
He said it's easy as using word.
>>
>>45322648
>purge
What's the deference between remove, autoremove and purge?
>>
>>45322665
no it shouldn't affect anything.
it's just cables.
>>
>>45322694
PCI passthrough is used with virtualization. The idea is to dedicate a hardware device for use with a VM. You would run Windows in a VM and dedicate your video card to it.

You could probably run most of those emulators in VirtualBox if that's all you wanted to do.
>>
>>45319399
Why is the Arch wiki page on installing yaourt such a piece of shit? It makes it out to be such a long and difficult process, when all you really have to do is edit pacman.conf to include the repository. Anyone with an account want to change it? I don't sign up for accounts for things.
>>
>>45322725
>What's the deference between remove, autoremove and purge?

>remove
Basically just does the minimum amount of work required to get the package off your computer

>autoremove
Gets rid of any (automatically installed) dependencies that aren't needed anymore (like if you uninstall your image viewer, it might get rid of libjpeg or something)

>purge
Removes the package, and "any configuration files are deleted too" (tbh, I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to mean; if you "apt-get purge" Firefox, it won't remove the ".mozilla" directory)
>>
>>45319416
Cropper is very useful
>>
Would it be possible to stop spyware but setting up a program that attaches viruses and shit to all connections my computer does that are not in a "trusted" list?
>>
>>45322739
Good to know,thanks. Was thinking it might be worth paying more for micro USB cable to ensure there's no issues but I suppose the cheap ones can be fine too in that case.
>>
>>45322773
>if you "apt-get purge" Firefox, it won't remove the ".mozilla" directory
That's a pretty nasty gotcha, I remember something similar happened to me with Eclipse (yeah yeah, I know.) where I somehow fucked up the config and reinstalling the package would keep bringing up the fuckup. Turned out apt-get purge ignored the .eclipse folder.
>>
>>45322756
Hmm, anon I appreciate you replying to my posts.
but will VirtualBox run my windows partition? also what about these emulators?
PPSSPP, VBA-M and DeSmuME
all for emulating on linux.
>>
>>45322665
Oh, and on that last note, is there a way to properly determine what the hell is wrong with my charger? The cable works fine when inserted into another PC without the plug and charges, though it doesn't work when it's connected to the plug at all. Have tried inserting the cable into different plugs for other devices to no avail. It's the TF300 and neither the damn tablet or the dock charge anymore. Doesn't help it seems to take the piss to find a replacement charger in the UK
>>
When playing 1080p video mpv shit itself and barely manged to play it while smplayer can handle it just fine, why is that?
>>
>>45322938
maybe the charger?
Does it smell?
>>
>>45322952
>When playing 1080p video mpv shit itself and barely manged to play it while smplayer can handle it just fine, why is that?

How did you install mpv? From the repos?

mpv can handle 1080p video on my shit setup (dual core pentium + integrated graphics) just fine.
>>
>>45322979
>How did you install mpv
from the github
I installed the SMplayer from the the repos, and it's not just that VLC can play them but with some frame drops.
I'm at the end of my wits here.
I've been messing with mpv config for weeks to make it run 1080p or even some files smoothly but SMplayer did that instantly.
It's not even the 2 fork.
>>
>>45320314
>start over again
The fuck? You are using rsync or something right? Not just dragging and dropping 2TiB of stuff?
>>
File: 0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg (179 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg
179 KB, 850x1200
>>45323016
Also it's not mplayer
It's gnome mplayer if this makes any difference.
>>
>>45323025
>You are using rsync or something right? Not just dragging and dropping 2TiB of stuff?
not him, but there are something like that?
>>
>>45323034
>Chinese cartoons
opinion discarded
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.