[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soon.... Solar panels >kill power plants 3D printers >kill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 17
Soon....

Solar panels
>kill power plants

3D printers
>kill most factories

Molecular printers
>kill the legal and illegal drug markets

Robots
>kill the general human workforce

Advanced robots
>kill (non research) medical jobs

What else?
The future is gonna be so cool!
>>
Long range wifi mesh networks
>kill internet service providers
>>
What's your definition of soon?
>>
Wireless power
>kill cables
All-nutrient-pills
>kill food
>>
>>43009953
This cannot be emphasized enough.

There are mesh networks in some towns that work really well. I remember hearing about someone who also had an isp connection ran a ftp server on the mesh for the entire town to watch his animu collection.
>>
In vitro meat
>kills animal farms
>>
>>43010048
>Wireless power
>>kill cables
But that shit already exists, and it's incredibly inefficient.

And probably always will be.

>All-nutrient-pills
>>kill food
>implying this will ever happen
>>
>VR
>kill 3DPD
>>
Touchscreens
>kill keyboards
>>
VI
>kill 4chan moderators & janitors
>>
>Solar panels
Not anytime soon. The reliability is a huge issue and the storage technology just isn't there yet.

>3D printers
Can only make shitty plastic as of yet.

>Molecular printers
Will almost certainly be heavily regulated. They might replace mass production of drugs to some extent, but that just means the drugs - most of which are either proprietary, heavily regulated or both - will be made locally by pharmacies. And if they did kill legal drug markets? Say good bye to almost all the research going into development of new drugs. That would be a HUGE problem.
>>
>>43010163
>kill food
There's soylent (yes based off the movie, but it's a drink) but it's more like emergency rations, and doesn't taste all too good.
Food is more than just chemical slurry for your stomach; it's a social event, and a physical pleasure that affects your body differently, depending on the form the chemicals take.
To some extent, though, we seem to head toward food replacements.
>>
>>43010302
>>Solar panels
>Not anytime soon. The reliability is a huge issue and the storage technology just isn't there yet.

You haven't been following the news and projections. Within a decade it will be under a $1 a watt. That is cheaper than building a power plant.

>>3D printers
>Can only make shitty plastic as of yet.

Other than the metal 3D printers...lol

>>Molecular printers
>Will almost certainly be heavily regulated. They might replace mass production of drugs to some extent, but that just means the drugs - most of which are either proprietary, heavily regulated or both - will be made locally by pharmacies. And if they did kill legal drug markets? Say good bye to almost all the research going into development of new drugs. That would be a HUGE problem.

How could you regulate a molecular printer someone makes in their house?
>>
>>43010289
You mean AI?
>>
>>43010394
No, Virtual Intelligence.
>>
>>43010401
Whats the difference?
>>
>>43009979
Within your grandchildren's lifespan.
>>
>>43010415
VI's use data to emulate intelligence. A chatbot could be considered a VI.

AI is more complex and thinks on its own. Not emulated intelligence.
>>
>>43010368
>You haven't been following the news and projections. Within a decade it will be under a $1 a watt. That is cheaper than building a power plant.
And they still need powerplants for back-up/handling peak capacity/when the sun isn't shining.

>How could you regulate a molecular printer someone makes in their house?
There's no need to, because molecular printer isn't something someone can just "make" in their house.
>>
>>43009928
Artificial intelligence + robotics
>kill academia
>kill all jobs
>>
>>43010557
>There's no need to, because molecular printer isn't something someone can just "make" in their house.
Can't they print a molecular printer with a molecular printer?
>>
>>43010557
>And they still need powerplants for back-up/handling peak capacity/when the sun isn't shining.

So, you admit that even without advancements in storage, power plants will be cut massively, because they would only be needed for non-peak nights and backup?

>>How could you regulate a molecular printer someone makes in their house?
>There's no need to, because molecular printer isn't something someone can just "make" in their house.

Soon.
>>
>>43010415
>>43010459

>this

The good goy program "learns" what sort of things are "bad" by seeing what the faggot mods ban, and then auto bans everybody who post "bad" things in the future.
>>
>>43010580
>Can't they print a molecular printer with a molecular printer?

I'm not sure. I haven't finished Diamond Age.
>>
>>43010580
You can't even make a molecular printer at all with current technology
>>
>>43010739
Soon
>>
File: 3.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>43009928
Fixed you are shit OP.
>>
The only thing about wireless mesh networks is the latency and bandwidth would be pretty shit
>>
>>43009928
>Solar panels
>>kill power plants
People only need electricity when the sun is out.
>>
>>43010910

>you cant store electricity
>>
>>43010942
>>you cant store electricity
Not using any technology in existence or on the horizon for less than it would cost to have a coal, natural gas, or nuclear power plant produce power.
>>
>>43009928
>The future is gonna be so cool!

Like in having no job because robots are doing it cheaper?
>>
>>43010302
>The reliability is a huge issue and the storage technology just isn't there yet.

Welcome to 1982
>>
>>43011016
>Like in having no job because robots are doing it cheaper?
Yeah. Why work when their are robots to do it for you? Do want you want rather than something you hate.
>>
>>43010832
So you reduced the resolution and think its fixed?

>>43010910
>>43010942
>>43011003
This is already addressed in this thread. Even if you don't store electricity at all. Solar panels would still kill most power plants because they would only be needed for night or backup power.

Though maybe you would rather hear the US utilities tell you this:
http://grist.org/climate-energy/solar-panels-could-destroy-u-s-utilities-according-to-u-s-utilities/
>see the pdf in the link if you feel like reading the report
>>
>>43011034

But then we'll be relevant, because programming and scripting will be the only jobs left.
>>
>>43009928
Solar niggers when?
>>
>>43011035
>This is already addressed in this thread. Even if you don't store electricity at all. Solar panels would still kill most power plants because they would only be needed for night or backup power.

Oh don't get me wrong, government subsidized solar hurts the operation of electrical generation due to how it distorts the mid day market. But peak demand happens after solar production falls to near zero.

You could build solar to run in the day then have other plants cover the base load and peak demand, but that's just a waste of money.
>>
Strong AI
>kills all humans
>>
>>43009928
>Solar panels
>>kill power plants
Shows how much you know about solar panels. Go fund "solar roadways" some more twat.
>>
>>43011080
>government subsidized solar

People throw this around, but then never admit to how heavily subsidized oil, coal, and natural gas is.

>>43011080
>But peak demand happens after solar production falls to near zero.

That's a new peak demand. Right now it is mid day.
>>
Faggot curing drugs
>Kills OP
>>
>>43011133
Shows how much you know about Germany.
Go fund "oil" some more twat.
>>
>>43011170
>Shows how much you know about Germany.
I don't give a fuck about germany.
I know that in my land it's almost always rainy or cloudy, I know solar panels have limited life, batteries for night have limited life, panels and batteries cost shitload of money. I would rather have nuclear reactor under my table.
>>
>>43011199
Everything has limited life. Nuclear reactors need constant maintenance. Rainy or cloudy, solar still works. If anything your location probably makes a good case for solar and wind.
>>
File: 1399097131472.png (40 KB, 526x385) Image search: [Google]
1399097131472.png
40 KB, 526x385
>>43011154
>People throw this around, but then never admit to how heavily subsidized oil, coal, and natural gas is.
No problem, pic related. Most of the nuclear subsidy is in the form of research, natural gas in in the form of tax deferments to get more wells drilled and so on.

>>>43011080 (You)
>That's a new peak demand. Right now it is mid day.
No it's not. Video related, the peak time for both Texas and California is the early evening. Same for Ontario.

http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/_Documents/EB-2004-0205/Navigant_report_TOU_Rates_in_Ontario_Part_1_201312.pdf#page=56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zD0m_ci-oo
>>
>>43011233
Are you the same person who posted that pic in the last thread about this?

I'm still not letting you get away with that shit graph of electrical subsidizes, that totally ignores all the transportation, farm, and many other oil subsidizes.
>>
>>43011219
>Rainy or cloudy, solar still works.
At a fucking diminished capacity.

>makes a good case for solar and wind.
No. Solar is too expensive and gives not enough power here. (did I mention we have winters here? With thing called SNOW. You know, layer of SNOW on solar panel... But I guess you think it makes them create more power)
Wind? We don't have strong winds here. Also, yes let's put fucking hazards every 100 meters. Say good bye to birds. Let's also cut down our forests to make sure trees don't slow winds down.

>Nuclear reactors need constant maintenance.
And yet they make cheapest and safest energy we have right now.
>>
>>43011272
>You know, layer of SNOW on solar panel
They get hot from the sun and melt off it.

If you are happy with nuclear, then cool.
Around my neck of the woods in Pittsburgh, we are mainly using coal plants.
>>
>>43011286
>They get hot from the sun and melt off it.
My god. You either fucking idiot or it's crappy bait.

YES! It's snowing (no sun!) It's fucking -25 degrees Celsius, layer of snow on solar panel, but solar panel STILL MANAGES TO CATCH SUN AND HEAT UP TO DEFEAT SNOW AND AIR TEMPERATURE!
Fucking moron.
>>
>>43011330
The ignorance hurts.
>>
>>43011373
>The ignorance hurts.
Nice argument. Any sources on it?
>>
>>43011330
>-25 degrees Celsius
Canadian butthurt. Can't take the truth without swearing.
>>
>>43011388
>Canadian butthurt.
Not canadian. Try again fuckwit.
>Can't take the truth without swearing.
What truth? You mean lies that solar panel will magically melt down 20cm of snow?
>>
>>43011263
>I'm still not letting you get away with that shit graph of electrical subsidizes, that totally ignores all the transportation, farm, and many other oil subsidizes.
The graph is popular because it's a well sourced one. Not the first time I've posted it and it's not going to be the last.

I'm not sure what a farm subsidy has to do with electrical generation. Or what transportation has to do with it either. If you are going to post the list of oil, gas and coal subsidies that are mostly just tax credits and accounting practices don't bother. The vast majority were legal considerations for stuff like paying taxes on unknown amounts of reserves or letting a company apply deductions instantly rather than yearly.
>>
>>43011330
Once solar gets to the levels where it's the cheapest form of energy, it will make sense to use the electricity from natural gas plants to melt the snow that accumulates on solar panels. Solar can work anywhere :3
>>
>>43010330
They seriously made fake food called Soylent?
That is fucking awesome.
>>
>>43011330
>YES! It's snowing (no sun!) It's fucking -25 degrees Celsius, layer of snow on solar panel, but solar panel STILL MANAGES TO CATCH SUN AND HEAT UP TO DEFEAT SNOW AND AIR TEMPERATURE!
>Fucking moron.
Even houses tend not to melt snow when it's cold and their roofs are heated. It takes many weeks of no snow for the wind and sun to remove snow from surfaces.
>>
>>43011410
I have some in my fridge :3
>>
>>43009928
more advanced robots
> kill humanity
>>
>>43011405
>electricity from natural gas plants to melt the snow that accumulates on solar panels
Melting snow with electricity takes shit load of energy.
>Solar can work anywhere :3
No. Do you even know how winter looks? THERE IS NO FUCKING SUN. Add snow in air (fuck, let's assume you managed to melt snow off of panels) There would be not enough power made by solar.
Solar can only work in desert. And it's still too expensive.
>>
>>43011401
So I can only oil subsidizes that agree with your narrow definition of what a subsidize is, but you can post a graph that includes "tax credits and accounting practices" subsidizes for solar?

Yeah, OK.
We will just ignore all the important facts and keep you in the same weird world where only certain things are important.
>>
>>43011443
>No. Do you even know how winter looks? THERE IS NO FUCKING SUN.

What is snow blindness?
>>
>>43011413
At least someone here knows how winter and snow works.
>>
>>43011461
>suddenly 5 feet of snow on roof
>crazy weather!

Keep lying.
>>
>>43011455
>What is snow blindness?
You know that in some places (aka closer to poles) you get dark winters with clouds and very short days? No? Fucking american education
>>
>>43011159
Underrated post
>>
>>43011488
>solar panels won't work in this certain place
>solar panels will never work out

Is this your logic?
>>
>>43011476
5 feet = 152.4 cm = 1.5 meter
Go fuck yourself kid. 1cm of snow will be enough to kill you solar panel.
And stop lying about solar panels melting snow off in winter.
>>
File: s11.jpg (34 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
s11.jpg
34 KB, 600x451
>>43011410
>>43011420
Chewing is important for your mental faculties...
>>
>>43011503
>And stop lying about solar panels melting snow off in winter.

Well they aren't gonna melt a sudden 5 feet of snow, but that never happens, so we are good. They do melt the snow better than normal roof material.
>>
>>43011502
>Is this your logic?
No twat.
OP said:
>Solar panels
>>kill power plants
Which is false. Solar panels will only work in deserts (IF you find how to make them cheaply). Power plants will live long and strong.
Also I am addressing lies that solar panel melts snow in winter.
>>
>>43009928
>What else?
Nanobots that affix themselves to all sensory neurons.
Can both prevent and cause said neurons to fire.
Modern computers can already just about handle the level of calculations needed.
>kill reality

Think of all the fucking possibilities!
True, full immersion VR.
Switching bodies with someone.
Sharing [sensory] experiences.
Remapping your body to that of anything.
Surgery without anesthesia, just block the signals.
Exploring digital noneuclidean space.

Shit would be nuts.
>>
>>43011519
Germany is a desert?

>1cm of snow stops all solar power!
Oh my god you people are cracking me up.
>>
>>43011503
You'd have to manually remove snow during heavy snowfall.
Switching to solar poser doesn't mean that everyone has them, you could have solar "power plants", so if you don't want to deal with it, you'd pay others like you do with other kinds of electricity.
>>
>>43011444
>So I can only oil subsidizes that agree with your narrow definition of what a subsidize is, but you can post a graph that includes "tax credits and accounting practices" subsidizes for solar?
Oil is a tiny fraction of the electrical production. Talk about nuclear, natural gas, coal or hydro. Let me put it to you like this.

If you want to include oil then please be sure to count the energy produced by the oil products, IE the amount of kinetic energy it releases. Oh and an average oil refinery, it produces about 40GW of power. Which is about twice the electrical output of the largest nuclear reactor complex.

So if you want to cry about oil 'subsidies' then please do, in terms of megawatt hours.

>Yeah, OK.
>We will just ignore all the important facts and keep you in the same weird world where only certain things are important.
>>
>>43011517
They will not melt even 1 cm of snow.
>They do melt the snow better than normal roof material.
BULLSHIT.
1.They will not melt winter worth of snow with winter sun (aka clods and sun low on horizon )
2. Where the fuck you got that shit in first place? Solar panels don't generate heat on their own. If blacktop roads don't melt snow off how the fuck will your solar panel melt snow?
>>
>>43011504
Bubble gum
>>
holy shit what are you faggots even on about

give up man
>>
>>43011035
>reduced the resolution
w00t
>>
>>43011547
>Solar panels don't generate heat on their own.

Of course not. That is what the sun is for.

>>43011535
>So if you want to cry about oil 'subsidies' then please do, in terms of megawatt hours.

How can you convert the billions of federal subsidizes into fracking as a mega-watt hour number? Are you arguing that fracking isn't a major source of power plant natural gas?
>>
>>43011517
But not better than road ways. I live in a northern Canadian city, it takes about a week for plowed roads with heavy traffic to become clear after it snows. Most homes keep snow on the roof until a warm snap comes and then you get ice dams.
>>
>>43011528
>Germany is a desert?
Are they making ALL of their energy needs from solar? No. Are they making any solar power in winter? No.

>>1cm of snow stops all solar power!
>Oh my god you people are cracking me up.

Go ahead. Scientific proof that solar panel will melt 1cm of snow in winter conditions. I will make it easy - Let's say outside temperature is merely -1 degree celsius.
let me explain how it will happen:
>Winter - no sun, 1cm of snow on solar panel, -1degree Celsius
>Solar panel is cold because IT LOST IT'S SOLAR HEAT AFTER FUCKING NIGHT.
>>
>>43011593
>Are they making any solar power in winter? No.

Quick, someone tell the Germans that they don't make any solar power in winter!
>>
>>43011531
>You'd have to manually remove snow during heavy snowfall.
No sun in winter = no power. Also do you know how much cleaning solar panels will cost?

>>43011586
>Of course not. That is what the sun is for.
Winter
no sun
after night
covered under snow
Sub zero temperature
Yah, I would like to see your panel melting snow.
>>
>>43011607
>Quick, someone tell the Germans that they don't make any solar power in winter!
Look at energy makings in winter by solar panels and cost to clean them. Then calculate how much that energy costs and how much of it they make. Go ahead.
>>
>>43011586
>How can you convert the billions of federal subsidizes into fracking as a mega-watt hour number? Are you arguing that fracking isn't a major source of power plant natural gas?

Natural gas is 911 TW a year in the US. The US total electrical production is 4,370 TW/year.

Do you have any numbers for the amount of gas from fracking wells that is used for electrical generation? Do you have any numbers for your subsidy of fracking?

Also... are you accepting that nuclear, coal and hydro get subsidies inline with what I posted and solar + wind gets subsidies that are also inline?

More to the point, do you have anything that disproves my posted graph's numbers? Or are you just crying about them oil companies?
>>
>>43009928
they'll always need engineers, so I still have my job security
>>
File: edgardoushio.jpg (682 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
edgardoushio.jpg
682 KB, 746x982
>solar power is a bad idea because it snows sometimes in some places

Are you guys for real?
>>
This butthurt solar hating Polish peasant ITT :3
>>
File: Alion Spot.jpg (50 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
Alion Spot.jpg
50 KB, 500x404
>>43011614
>>43011639
I was gonna post a guy cleaning a solar panel of snow with a brush. Then I was gonna post a solar panel in Antarctica. Then I found a pic of a guy cleaning a solar panel in Antarctica. Finally I saw one of these things and couldn't resist.
>>
>>43011654
>>solar power is a bad idea because it snows sometimes in some places
Sometimes = half of year with snow and almost no sun.
Other half year there is no sun.
So yes - It's bad idea for good part of the world

>>43011660
>Polish peasant
Not polish. Try again americunt.
>>
File: much_sun.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
much_sun.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
>>43011664
Heavy snow storm - have fun.
Also is that shit sun powered? Have even more fun powering it under almost no sun after snowing.
>>
>>43011664
LOL KID GOT BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

SIT THE FUCK DOWN KID
>>
>>43011654
No water for hydroelectric
>hydro will never succeed

Too much snow and darkness for solar
>solar will never succeed

Oil, natural gas and nuclear
>always great!
>>
>>43011703
All windows clean of snow in pic.
>Solar panel made of glass.
Somehow you think solar panels will be covered with snow, but windows won't.
>>
File: 1399405733502.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1399405733502.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>43009928
>Solar panels
>>
>>43011664
Is that a solar-powered robot that scrapes the shit off of the solar panels? Who scrubs the shit off the solar panel on the solar-powered solar panel shit scrubber?
>>
>>43011703
Heary snow storm, you don't use the solar panels.
Since you save up more than you use, not a problems.
Also every you don't just have yours, but a whole network consisting of other individual houses and big power plants.
People use solar power in areas with a lot of snow and it works even in the current state that's not very advanced.
>>
>>43011728
Are you really this stupid?
>>
>>43011410
The shipping is horrible
>>
File: Xzibit_AG027.jpg (89 KB, 827x550) Image search: [Google]
Xzibit_AG027.jpg
89 KB, 827x550
>>43011736
2Deep4U
>>
>>43011728
>All windows clean of snow in pic.
because they are vertical. Snow doesn't stick. It might pile up next to window depending on wind.
>Somehow you think solar panels will be covered with snow, but windows won't.
Because solar panels are vertical and not between horizontal and 30degrees.
Try harder.
Bonus points if you think that much sun will be enough to make energy to clean them.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (32 KB, 360x231) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
32 KB, 360x231
>>43011767
Can haz Antarctica solar panels, but not in snowy town.

Why are you still trying?
>>
>>43011739
>Heary snow storm, you don't use the solar panels.
OH... so we use solar panels when there is sun and use everything else when there is no sun!
Well that clears everything up!
since solar panel life time ticks away even when they are not used it's sure economically goo idea to use them 25% of the time!
>People use solar power in areas with a lot of snow and it works even in the current state that's not very advanced.
If you have climate where it snows and then it's sun again then yes. Not where I live.
>>
File: 2deep.jpg (92 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
2deep.jpg
92 KB, 500x404
>>43011736
>>43011753
If only I had more time...
>>
>>43011799
>If you have climate where it snows and then it's sun again then yes. Not where I live.

If it storms that bad, then you are likely a candidate for wind and geothermal.
>>
>>43011789
>Why are you still trying?
Oh so now you are suggesting moving solar panels that track sun. Good, even more expensive to keep functional. Have fun with expensive electricity that works only in good conditions.

Good point.

I will wait few more years until you fuckwits waste all economy to build this useless shit. I will come back to laugh at you then (on a sunny day when we will have energy to power computers and 4chan servers).
>>
>>43011789
>Can haz Antarctica solar panels, but not in snowy town.
You do understand that in the summer it gets round the clock sun light? And by definition it's also a desert?
>>
>>43011799
Solar power plants, not everything else.
Materials decay over time, that's true for everything, not unique to solar cells.
Also, if you really need it, you can have extra vertical panels like windows if the area really requires it.
Your reasons are just nitpicking.
>>
>>43011842
>If it storms that bad, then you are likely a candidate for wind and geothermal.
>Implying snowstorm comes with shitload of wind all the time.
>implying wind energy is cheaper
don't know enough about geothermal
>>
>>43011864
>Materials decay over time, that's true for everything, not unique to solar cells.
But no other power source has as much output fallout as PV solar.
>>
>>43011864
>Your reasons are just nitpicking.

>Not enough sun to make solar panels pay off here
=
>nitpicking

I think summerfags are solar powered. That's why they came here when there is sun.
>>
>>43011873
>don't know enough about geothermal

I should be more specific. I mean a ground source heat pump for heating and cooling. Not electrical generation.
>>
Why aren't people installing wind turbines again?
>>
>>43011906
>But no other power source has as much output fallout as PV solar.

What are you walking about?
They last like 20yrs.
You make it sound like you are at half capacity after a few years, which is total bulltroll.
>>
>>43011710
except hydro powers half the country
>>
>>43011940
because sometimes somewhere on earth there is no wind
>>
>>43011940
For home use, solar is cheaper and easier.
>>
>>43010118
Fuck no. I like my meat coming from an animal that has been clubbed to death.
>>
>>43011952
But there is more wind then there is sun.
>>
>>43011952
No wind, no sun.
Probably no water either.
>>
>>43011973
Wind is created from sun.
>somehow more wind energy
You wat mate?
>>
>>43011973
but what about when it blows the wrong direction?
>>
File: data_laugh.gif (1 MB, 208x156) Image search: [Google]
data_laugh.gif
1 MB, 208x156
>>43011995
>>
>>43009928
Where do people get the idea that shit you make at home will ever be even remotely ass cheap as something that was mass produced in china?
>>
>>43012082
Paper printing was a big deal at some point, so they extrapolate to 3D.
>>
>>43012097
Printing at home is as least as expensive as printing at some print shop and orders of magnitude more expensive than buying a book from a professional printery.
>>
>>43012112
Before that you had to have a printing press, and no printing at hope at all.
>>
>>43012112
Depending on your needs. I only ever print text and my laser printer and refills that'll last me the rest of my life only cost me $100
>>
>>43012145
Even if you never use your printer, your ink will have dried out after a while, so no amount will last you forever. especially if you bought a garbage printer for under 100$.
>>
>>43012156
That's irrelevant here though.
>>
>>43011047
>Imagine a future with jocks and supermodels living like gods while the robots make everything.
>All the neckbeards are enslaved in basements
>they are the only ones who can do all the robot programming
>given their vital position, they tried to rebel but were quickly subjugated
>a slut said to a nerd that it would be "so cool" a device that could control the will of the wearer.
>with this device all the neckbeards could be treated like cattle without any fear
>jock overlord: I'm tired of fucking supermodels, build me a sex robot, anon.
>*whips your back just for sadism, because of the device there's no way for you to refuse
>also you cannot touch it, you are forbidden to use any technology for personal joy.

I'm scared of the future, hold me /g/
>>
>>43012177
The idea that 3D printers will kill factories is idiotic because if they are any good they will just be placed in factories and replace less efficient machines there instead of giving everyone their own little factory at home.
>>
>>43012178
You forgot
>anime made illegal
>all pedo content purged from the internet because it's like gross haha
>>
>>43012178
This is why you should not use or support proprietary software. Only by joining us now and sharing the software can you be free, hacker. Sharing the code means everyone has power over none.
>>
>>43010059
I've been collecting high power wifi amplifiers and antennae (get old ones through my work) for some time now. I only have four complete sets, but if I can get my hands on more, I really want to get some people together and try to set up a meshnet in my town.
>>
>>43010269
Not a chance.
For serious work, the physical keyboard will reign supreme until we're able to extract text directly from your thoughts.
>>
>>43009928
electric cars
>crash entire industries surrounding fossil based forms of transport
>>
>>43012239
>yfw whatever they need to make batteries is more scarce than oil
>>
>>43010302
>molecular printers heavily regulated
Narcotics are heavily regulated too. Doesn't mean nobody's got em.
>>
>>43012190
That's not my idea.
I said they extrapolate, and extrapolation is always dangerous.
The point of printers is not that they made printing press reduntandt. The point is that you don't necessarily require the press to do printing.
Same with 3D printing, it doesn't replace mass production, but makes smaller quantities more efficient and in some cases even possible at all.
>>
>>43012247
We're starting to make them of sand. I really REALLY doubt that's more scarce then oil
>>
>>43010910
you need to look into those liquid sodium heat concentration plants, there is one about to start in the USA I believe. Your argument is from the 90s.
>>
>>43012247
carbon? it's abundant anon.
>>
>>43012250
>Same with 3D printing, it doesn't replace mass production, but makes smaller quantities more efficient and in some cases even possible at all.
Yeah, but I still see no home application.
I have no need for a continuous supply of low quality plastic items and neither does anyone I know.
It think businesses can get cheaper customization from it, and it could lower the cost for certain kinds of components but I don't see how it will revolutionize anything.
>>
>>43012275
Some people don't need to print paper either I guess.
I can see many uses for them, but then again I like to make things.
>>
>>43009928
Can someone explain how close we are to molecular printers? What exactly are they capable of producing? Are they capable of creating certain chemicals which in turn make certain atomic structures, or are they somehow able to be Philosopher's Stones and generate any element known to man? Also, does it require a large amount of something put into it, e.g. air or some other material in order to create something new out of it?
>>
>>43012310
>Also, does it require a large amount of something put into it, e.g. air or some other material in order to create something new out of it?
If we can truly manipulate atoms (not molecules) then ANY matter would do. But that shit only happens in laboratories and nuclear reactors I don't see it happening anytime soon.
>>
>>43011034
hard to pay rent when you don't have a job
>>
>>43009928
>>kill power plants

This will have a much larger economic impact that anyone realizes.

coal plants produce huge amounts of gypsum which is used in a lot of building materials.
They also produce bottom ash, an asphalt filler, and coal waste is used as fertilizer that farms use. Also a lot of by-products are used in cement as well.
Thats a lot of jobs a power plant indirectly provides.
>>
>>43012323
>Thats a lot of jobs a power plant indirectly provides.
Oh fuck off
Manual labor is a thing of the past when robots are wide-spread. The transition, which we are at the beginning of now, is going to be awful for people that have manual labor jobs.
>>
>>43012318
Well, all I remember is a facility that can make gold , but it's practically a few ounces and it costs thousands or more just to produce it. That's why I'm having a huge amount of trouble believing a molecular printer could work at that microscopic level.
>>
>>43012336
>going to be awful for people that have manual labor jobs.

and the resulting war will be glorious
>>
>>43012361
inb4 new economic system
you heard it here first :^)
>>
>>43012370
Do we even have a method to counteract the obvious detrimental effect robot replacements have on working labor forces? I've heard of distributivism and that's it.
>>
>>43012336
Though you're absolutely right, he was talking about more than just jobs.
Physical byproducts we need and use are important to consider too.
Though, we'll figure it out I'm sure - I don't see it as too much of a problem.
When we're too the point of resetting the last hundred years of carbon emissions via mass filtration of the air or some shit, worries like how to obtain gypsum will be pretty trivial.
>>
>>43012383
Have you read your Noam Chomsky today yet /g/?
Your David Graeber?
Your Jacque Fresco?
>>
>>43012383
I'm just a guy that's in college learning how to build robots.
>>
>>43012370
Since when is slavery and misery "new"
>>
>>43012401
I...I don't know who they are. I don't really study this in-depth and frankly I don't have the patience to read literature that takes me weeks to finish compared to a summary that explains their fundamental beliefs. Sue me. I was just saying I've heard of distributivism, that's all.
>>
>>43012414
Slaves a shit. Robots are cheaper in mass production.
You don't seem to grasp what's going to happen in the next century.
>>
>>43012383
Nope. I think we're just going to see the working class rise up (or attempt to) and start spewing a bunch of Communist bullshit with "the people's" this and "the workers'" that.
>>
>>43012423
How are robots cheaper? People are absolutely the cheapest things. Just keep them fed (food is surely less expensive than electricity for robots) and they'll live a few decades, automatically repair minor damage to themselves, and even produce more people all by themselves.
Robots are going to enslave humans, not replace them with costly robots.
>>
>>43012423
Right.
We're just at the balancing point now trying to determine who will benefit.
If we fuck up, we can prolly fix it at some point - I'd just rather start out on a good path from the get go.

That said, if we REALLY fuck up, the earth can't support another iron or industrial age.
All the easily accessible necessary minerals have been mined - Obtaining more requires our huge infrastructure to already be in place and working.
>>
>>43012445
>food is surely less expensive than electricity for robots
This fucking guy.
Humans are high maintenance, they don't work 24/7, make mistakes and are WAY WAAAY slower.
>>
>>43012445
>>43012466
He does have a point though.
Right now, in many cases, humans ARE cheaper.
In India and places, it's cheaper to pay someone to stand on something all day, than to buy a fucking sandbag.
I see this as a disgusting terrible sadness.
>>
>>43012490
Owning a slave isn't as cheap as hiring some random guy on the street.
If you would calculate a slave's worth today with the prices of back then it comes to $100,000 PER SLAVE
A robot arm is what? 20k for the average one?
>>
>>43012505
This is the genius of the wage slave.
Same result, but they now have to pay to take care of themselves, rather than you, the owner.
Slavery is alive and well.
>>43012405
You're our only hope robot guy.
>>
>>43012505
That's if you BUY a slave. You don't need to buy a slave if you just enslave existing people.
Especially in the future with technology to get inside somebody's head and fuck with their thoughts. What was the term from that book with the opium? Eejit, I think? Humans who've had their thoughts messed with to effectively turn them into robots, with all the benefits of being a biological organism.
>>
>>43012554
And you think somehow owning a slave is cheaper then owning a robot?
>>
>>43012361
Have you not noticed that the military is the first system headed to be fully automated and operated solely by elite personnel?
This war will be a massacre and the result will be the genocide of the proles aka everyone whos not a member of the military, economic and political elite.

Libertards and gnutards tried to warn you. Snowden was too late, this is the irreversible future
>>
>>43011035
>you reduced the resolution
Ladies and Gentlemen, a potato.
>>
File: 1405312920391.gif (993 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1405312920391.gif
993 KB, 500x281
Solar Roadways
>end of inefficient power plants
>cheap electricity will then be taken for granted

Telsa releasing patents to public
>Adoption of efficient electric car designs for all

AI w/Consciousness
>TranscendenceMovie.webm
>I can elaborate on why this will happen in 10-15 years if need be

I have more but those are my homemade ideas lol
>>
>>43012568
My point was that, you no longer have to own them or pay for their upkeep, but can still get the same work from them.
And yes, as sad and disgusting as it is, this is often much cheaper than current robot tech and upkeep.
>>
File: 1404951158515.png (41 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
1404951158515.png
41 KB, 230x230
>Solar power
>>
File: 1400931266361.gif (23 KB, 550x392) Image search: [Google]
1400931266361.gif
23 KB, 550x392
>>43011940
>Why aren't people installing wind turbines again?
Because they cost too much, don't provide dependable or predictable power, their total output is far lower than their base plate capacity because of their ongoing electrical demands. (for the large 2MW units).

Denmark the world leader in wind power is having to build bio-thermal plants at near to a 1:1 ration to backstop their wind power. Their peak wind output was followed by a week of their lowest power production.

Without a huge grid to sell into (Germany) and without the access to the instant supply of hydro power (Norway) the Danish wind power would work.

Even with those two factors, their power is still hugely expensive. Pic related. Canada is about 60% hydro electric, 20% nuclear, 10% coal 10% gas.
>>
>>43012658
Also, yyou're forgetting NIMBY for the turbines. Shit's loud and leaves bird gore errywhere.
>>
>>43012568
Robots require regular high level maintenance to function, especially in adverse environments. When they break beyond repair, a replacement is expensive. There are many tasks they can perform better, of course-- That's why they're so widely used in manufacturing. Any repetitive task with repetitive motions that require precision is ideal for a robot.
But you don't see robot bricklayers or concrete-pourers or post hole diggers, because those tasks aren't well suited to robots. It's possible for robots to do those tasks, but they'd need to be very complicated.
Complicated robots mean more expensive and more frequent maintenance. But we already have very complicated organisms with sophisticated control systems that respond well to training: human beings. They self-reproduce and heal when damaged, and all they require to continue functioning is water and some nutrition.
>>
>>43012239
>VR and neural interface
>personal transportation near redundant
>>
>>43012685
>Also, yyou're forgetting NIMBY for the turbines. Shit's loud and leaves bird gore errywhere.
The big ones don't kill birds, but they are loud as fuck and their shadows flashing make people sick.
>>
>>43009928
>>43010573

I wish it happened tomorrow. I'm sick of human civilization being based on toil and misery. If the objective of science is making human lives easier, the logical endpoint is a society where nobody needs to do anything for any reason other than because they felt like it.
#zeroemployment
>>
>>43012634
you sound really clever, like you know your stuff :^)
>>
>>43012686
>But you don't see robot bricklayers or concrete-pourers or post hole diggers, because those tasks aren't well suited to robots

I'd argue that they're perfectly well suited for robots, but it's (at the moment) cheaper to hire an infinite amount of illiterate brown people to do the job for you. This will not last forever.
>>
>>43012768
I remember seeing some pictures of the big one killing birds. Bigger birds, but still birds. Shit exploded.
>>
>>43012788
Like Startrek right, where people only do what they really enjoy in life. Where no person is forced into working, because everything is provided. That's my dream too man, but on a more optimistic note hehe

>>43012789
Awww thx anon
>>
>>43010302
nah the samw ay loonix os is done drug dev would os and go into overdrive....for one many more tests would take place
>>
>>43012788
As much as I want this, human nature will prevent this. We're power-hungry assholes.
>>
>>43012999
I fucking hate this excuse and mindset.
I just don't get it.
Human nature is irrelevant.
We can change and manipulate ourselves and our views of the world.
Human nature is living in trees eating grubs and being eaten by lions.
The power of choice, knowledge, and will should never be marginalized.
You don't have to passively float through existence, you can be an active agent.
There is no such things as human nature, and to whatever extent there is, it is mitigated by itself in our ability to adapt.
>>
>>43011488
I-I'm american and even I know it only take a couple hours for everything to be covered in a foot or 2 of snow
>>
>>43013066
Humans haven't changed in thousands of years. We're always in pursuit of power and wealth. Blame testosterone, but don't fucking deny it.
>>
>people think technology will continue to advance
it won't

we're on the verge of entering a new dark age.

The thing that drives technology & civilization is a well adjusted male population, which relies on a traditional family unit, and gender roles.

With those things almost completely destroyed, modern civilization and technological advancement can't continue.

>>43013089
>Blame testosterone, but don't fucking deny it.
lol, fucking fag, without testosterone (males) we'd still be living in africa like bonobos
>>
>>43013122
>>>/v/
>>
>>43013089
>i only know of the culture in which i was raised and assume that this is the way everything has always been
>>
>>43013151
Read a history book, you might just learn something.
>>
>>43011664
b-but

>antarctica is often sunny
>antarctica doesn't get much snow
>>
>>43010557
>still need power plants for peaks
in Australia power plants are discouraging people from putting excess energy into the grid
instead people are encouraged to set up batteries in their homes that would completely eradicate the need for any outside source of electricity
>>
>>43013219
Santa Claus doesn't live in snow?
>>
>>43011736
The cleaner isn't solar powered. It's to prevent power loss by covering a solar panel while it's covering the main solar panels. It's obviously powered by the battery of the grid.
>>
>>43012445
>How are robots cheaper? People are absolutely the cheapest things

lolooolol What is industrial revolution?

It had such large success because productivity went down extremely and production itself became more expensive, right?
>>
>>43011034
Robots doing labor jobs opens a world of new opportunities because everyone would be forced to get an education in order to get any kind of job.
>>
>>43013362
>everyone would be forced to get an education

Some people will just never do this.
>>
You forgot.

Skynet Robotics
>Kill mankind

We are headed to a perfect world!
>>
>>43011488
you fucking bimbo he said it sarcastically you autistic fuck learn English
>>
>>43013388
That's fine.
Even if 98% of all people lock themselves up in their rooms and do nothing but play video games all day - Actually, this would be preferable. They weren't contributing anyway and never would - This gets them out of the way of the few that are.

Food, water, shelter, healthcare, access to the network and education and toys and materials, should all still be the most basic of human rights.
The right to contribute nothing and still live comfortably.

Soon (and I think in many aspects we already have) we will reach a level of production where this will be possible.
>>
>>43011233
I had never thought about subsidies in quite that term before because they almost never get talked about like that, normally people want to talk about all the billions of dollars the oil, gas, and coal companies get without putting it into the context of how much energy they produce.

If the average cost of a kWh of energy in the US is $0.12 then that means the government funds:

0.21% of a kWh of Oil & Natural Gas
0.37% of a kWh of of Coal
0.56% of a kWh of of Hydro
0.74% of a kWh of of Biomass
0.77% of a kWh of of Geothermal
1.3% of a kWh of of Nuclear
19.5% of a kWh of of Wind
20.3% of a kWh of of Solar

That's... kinda staggering when you look at it in such terms to realize how fast the bottom of such industries would fall out if the government stopped paying.

In fact its almost worse than that. When the government stopped giving out subsidies for Wind in an up front fashion (30% of the cost of the unit) with an immediate tax break and instead only offered the 2.3 cent per kWh generated credit then deployment completely stopped. They would still get very generous subsidies but when it was just not a quick payoff anymore nobody installed any more wind generation.

So in that case even with funding but not the kind of funding an industry wanted it was not viable anymore.
>>
>>43011607
Check for yourself, they really don't.

http://www.sma.de/en/company/pv-electricity-produced-in-germany.html
>>
>>43014225
The whole premise of using kWh like that is bullshit.

Oil has tons of energy in it. In terms of kWh there isn't much better. That said you can't convert that to electricity without losing most of those kWh.
>>
>>43014344
>Check for yourself, they really don't.
>http://www.sma.de/en/company/pv-electricity-produced-in-germany.html

Where does this show seasonal power variations? All I see is current production of 13% of Germans total solar power.
>>
Guys so
OK
So OK
So what if
OK so
Guys what if we invented snow that generated electricity when hit by the sun?
>>
>>43014503
There's always too much heat that escapes to capture all of the energy.
>>
>>43009928
>>>/cyb/
>>
>>43014555
Lower right, click the calendar icon and pick a few days in the winter.

And just to be clear that is how much power these monitored panels are generating relative to their total nameplate capacity, not how much of Germany's total power its generating.
>>
>>43014577
I don't care about thermodynamics.
I just think one shouldn't use the kWh in a barrel of oil vs the kWh generated by solar. That is a foolish comparison.
>>
>>43014629
The chart is titled "Federal Electric Subsidies per Unit of Production", it is all about energy to the grid and not pulled out of the ground vs into the grid.

Even if it was out of the ground for stuff that comes that way then you can basically multiply the costs by about 3 to cover for generation losses and you still see its funded peanuts compared to solar and wind.
>>
>>43014693
I'm sorry but again it is still bullshit, because it disregards oil subsidies used for transportation and farming.
>>
>>43014724
And I think its bullshit to ignore all the millions of dollars in fines and mandatory jail time that wind is getting out of and all the deaths by rooftop solar.
>>
>>43014776
People defend some crazy shit.

The older I get, the more I realize just how many stupid people are out there.
>>
>>43014225
>In fact its almost worse than that. When the government stopped giving out subsidies for Wind in an up front fashion (30% of the cost of the unit) with an immediate tax break and instead only offered the 2.3 cent per kWh generated credit then deployment completely stopped. They would still get very generous subsidies but when it was just not a quick payoff anymore nobody installed any more wind generation.

Exactly. Wind power is pretty much worthless from a financial point of view if it isn't subsidized. In Finland (where I'm from), just like in Germany we will have huuuge problems when the government removes all the subsidies. Prices will skyrocket if we have been so dumb to rely on windpower by then. Today you could put an electrical motor to power the wind generator and still make a 2-3 cent profit for every kWh you sell. Think about how fucked up for the market and the consumers that is.
>>
Kinetic Electricity
>kill wired battery charging

Petrol to Electricity engine converters
>kill green house gas emitting car engines

LiFi
>kill internet providing companies

Smart Motor Vehicles
>kill human error causing road deaths

W.C (wireless currents)
>kill D.C (direct current) cables

Bio genetic food created in labs
>kill world hunger and animal mistreatment

Virtual Intelligence
>kill human moderation on websites

Graphene mass production
>kill paper

Virtual life forms
>kill animal and human experimentation

Cyber Genetics
>kill human inefficiency
>>
Just bomb out all of the great plains states and turn every square inch of the area into a massive fuck-all solar grid. If you don't live in California or New England, no one cares about you anyway.
>>
>>43009928
NSA
>kill personal privacy
>>
>>43010048
>kill food

I don't know about you but I actually like eating, it's one of the few things left in the world that I can truly enjoy. Food pills would be a nightmare for me, unless it's that Willy Wonka gum shit that tastes like a four-course meal.
>>
>>43017816
>WW four-course gum
>loses any semblance of flavor after 3 minutes of chewing.
>>
>>43010302
>3D printers
>Can only make shitty plastic as of yet.

There are 3D printers for a wide variety of materials, granted a lot of them are thermoplastics. What you should be complaining about is that none of them(except that bigass MIT printer) allow you to use multiple materials at once. When we get to the point where one machine can print several materials at once, then it's going to be futuristic.
>>
>>43012336
It's not just jobs, it's materials that are important. You might not understand this, but there are innumerable processes that require petroleum products. And without the oil to refine and get these products, we will be SOL for a lot of things unless a scientist comes up with a workaround. Robots are not the end-all be-all to this problem, scarcity will be the problem(as it always has been).

Some futurists say that there will be a period of post-scarcity but I highly doubt that will ever happen. Humans just consume, we are going to suck the Earth dry.
>>
guys
ok
what
what if we like
made 3d printers
that sewed
In 2009 the US spent 326BILLION on clothes

with metal printers we could make jewellery, or ceramic for casts, and with chemical vapor deposition we could make assortments of most precious and semiprecious gemstones
>>
>>43010302

because software piracy has killed the software industry.

idiot.
>>
File: 1385258000358.jpg (7 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
1385258000358.jpg
7 KB, 240x210
>You will never explore space
>You will never fuck alines
>You will never be an immortal space pirate
Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.