[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/QTDDTOT/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: qtddtot.jpg (15 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.jpg
15 KB, 284x177
Other one over 300.

So I've been lifting for about 8 months and have had major form issues with my squat for the entire time. On Friday I finally determined that I genuinely lack the balance and flexibility to hit depth without forward lean.

Does anybody have experience with this problem? Can you recommend any stretches/balance exercises that I can use to work on it? Should I avoid squatting until this is worked out? If so, what should I do for my legs? Leg press?
>>
I work in construction (10 hour days) and spend about 1.5 doing SS three days a week and 40min of running/sprinting two times a week

It's roughly 56 hours being physical but sometimes work is really easy, just standing around, waiting for orders to come in or whatever.

My question is which exercise option do I use for a calorie calculator? Moderate, Heavy or Athlete? There's quite a gap between the three and I'm looking for a 200-300+ TDEE diet so I want to pick the right one.
>>
Am 5'8 manlet, 140 lbs currently. Started lifting ~ one month ago. Should I be bulking?
>>
>>37960355
Post pic
>>
File: 7j4VprL.jpg (756 KB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
7j4VprL.jpg
756 KB, 3120x4160
>>37960364
Sorry, phone was being a little shit.
Pls no bully.
>>
>>37960508
Either try a recomp or cut
Don't bulk
>>
if your not going up in weight lifted, are you not making muscle gains?
>>
>>37960527
Ok, thanks anon.
>>
>>37960537
Diminishing returns. If the weights are getting easier to do as time goes on, you are still gaining small amounts of muscle from repeated exposure and reps, but not nearly as much as increasing the weight.
>>
When trying to get all my macros I have issues eating carbs. Is there some food I can just eat to get lots of carbs?

I had the same issue with fat and just starting eating salads with cheese and string cheese
>>
Should I take progress pictures? I hate the way I look, and I think I'd just get disgusted with myself. Can I notice differences in my physique by just looking in the mirror?
>>
>>37960593

carbs are the easiest and cheapest macro to get. rice is a good simple one. pasta as well. and everyones favorite, oats.
>>
>>37960249
Stretch your adductors. Tactical frogs are good.
>>
where do I shop for the best gym clothes

tired of being that guy with basketball shorts
>>
Do you guys start your upper/lower split with upper or lower? I've seen both ways so idk if it matters
>>
I have a friend who says he can squat 290 on a smith machine
He's very skinny and out of shape so I'm curious to know a rough estimate to how much weight he can squat using free weights?
>>
File: 1454711410590.webm (963 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454711410590.webm
963 KB, 500x500
>>37960249
More cardio than weights these days. Dropping poundage and maintaining cardiovascular fitness because oldfag.

Pre-Sorry for muh blog (incoming)

I can definitively say that something is going on. After 3 months of experimentation, I don't know what is happening but I can confirm that it definitely is happening. I'm now in the end of Couch to 5k (barely following plan any more at this point, though).

My normal cardio consists of 30-40 minutes jogging with the walking off and on starting after 2 miles. After jog, bike for 10-15 minutes at steady 20mph pace. Not hard, not easy but I do fuck with resistance every other mile. Every other week I don't bike. I just complete the run.

On week after I bike, I can damn near run the whole 5k and seeing small but continuous improvements.
On week after I don't bike (run only), I can barely get 1.5 miles (run) without stopping.

What the hell is going on?
>>
>>37960957

That butt jiggle there at the end.

hnggggg
>>
Are there any ways to burn off fat without exercise? I work 10hr shifts as a receptionist and really dont get much exercise at all. I have completely cut sugar and carbs, and eating very clean. If I keep this up will I start to lose muscle?
>>
>>37960821

I prefer lower, but that's because I've got a fairly shit mid/upper back and trying to deadlift or squat heavy with fatigued lats and rhomboids just kills my performance. Seems like it mostly comes down to preference.
>>
>>37961019
I'm just up and bored. I don't really care if anyone answers my post, I could look at her webms all night. An answer would simply be a bonus.

In the end, the answer is just to power through it and keep on both running and biking. I just want to know why it's so damned hard after the weeks I don't bike.
>>
SS says do 3x5 for squats and 1x5 for deadlifts, I'm assuming this implies as much weight as possible.

Would it better, since my form is shit to do 5x5 for both with a bit lighter weight until I can do it better?
>>
In regards to the sticky's SS revisited, I also noticed a stripped version, how long should this stripped version be done before starting on SS? Or is it okay to skip SS if I do the stripped version?
>>
In the sticky link to Starting Strength, does 3x5 mean 3 sets of 5 reps, or 5 sets of 3 reps? And which one would you recommend?
>>
>>37960508
bulk 500 extra calories
>>
>>37961184
the former
is better for all around development (strength and hypertrophy)

>>37961032
>Are there any ways to burn off fat without exercise?
just caloric deficit
also maybe keto or intermittent fasting

>If I keep this up will I start to lose muscle?
If you have muscle from weight lifting, are in a deficit and don't train, then yes.
>>
How long does it usually take for a linear progression to run out? For my body to stop being able to add weight progressively?
I feel like I'm approaching this point but I've only been working out for 1 month
161 ibs
5 rms
OHP 100
BP 135
squat 160
deadlift 185
>>
What happened to the lewd trappy imgur?
>>
>>37961250
good lifts for 1 month. esp bench, i got to 185 squat and 225 dead before i hit 1pl8 bench. Were you athletic before?
>>
>>37960271
Just try a calorie goal out for a month, see your weight change, and adjust as needed
>>
Thoughts on Keto?
>>
>>37960596
Of course. Theyre not for your viewing pleasure, theyre for seeing in 6 months and comparing to current.
>>
>>37961156
3x5 is still fine; your working weight is the most you can do with good form
>>
>>37960854
Really depends. It's a totally different movement.

Maybe 2pl8, i have no idea tho
>>
>>37961196
>telling someone at 20+%bf to bulk
>>
>>37961032
read the sticky moron
>>
>>37961287
I was kinda an idiot when I started
By one month I meant one month of serious lifting
I made up my own program before I started a linear progression that focused almost entirely on chest and arms
I was also always somewhat healthy never too big or small
>>
>>37961172
literally doesnt matter. whatever you feel like
>>
>>37961298
no carbs and no dairy protein makes me full on a three egg omelet a day. the weight is just falling off. shit's wild.

keep protein fairly low.
>>
>>37961298
pointless. just count your calories, no need for any difficult gimmicky shit
>>
>>37961339
Oh that makes sense then.

Have you done any deloads yet? Linear progression doesnt just mean increasing the weight each time without fail:

If you fail a set, then try the same weight again next time, if you fail again, then reduce the weight by 20% or so next time and increase back to where you were. Do extra reps with the lower weight. This is called a deload.
>>
>>37961316
So you say they are essentially too similar to worry about?
>>
>>37961391
You wont be at weights where you want to throw on 2 extra sets for fun for long.
>>
So I tore my left kneecap out of it's socket two days ago, and I just wanted to know if anyone in here has experienced the same?
How long did it take before you were able to do Squats again? If you even can do that at all
I'm incredibly paranoid of not being able to return from this
>>
>>37961344
Next question, Ive only been going about a month with the stripped version but Ive been doing it at home and easing into it.

I have only barbell and dumbells with plates so I have to clean for squats and ohp. Ive been on ei and recently started working again so until my first few cheques roll in this works best. Squat is seriously reduced though because I cant clean enough weight yet, is it okay that my squat remains lighter for a few weeks?

Also no bench either so Ive been doing floor presses, after digging around a bit I founf that benching fucks your shoulders, is it okay to continue floor pressing even after I make it to the gym or is the famage to shoulders overplayed?
>>
>>37961262
please respond
>>
>>37961380
I have specifically on my overhead press
ahhh thats what I was looking for
I was worried since I failed I was doing something wrong
thanks a million, didn't release deloading was normal, still new to this
>>
>>37961409
Maybe its the wording but I dont know what you mean here
>>
File: AYKLBfz.jpg (588 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
AYKLBfz.jpg
588 KB, 1600x1066
What's the opposite of melatonin?

Like melatonin helps you fall asleep at night, either from lack of light or a pill. What's the opposite when you're exposed to light? Is it just a decrease in melatonin or an increase in something else?

I could have sworn it was something else but I simply cannot remember it.
>>
File: tumblr_nk12tbJNY01rl7s4eo1_1280.jpg (563 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nk12tbJNY01rl7s4eo1_1280.jpg
563 KB, 960x1280
I couldn't fucking sleep all night and only got ~2hrs of sleep. Now I have to go to work. Are my gains fucked or no? It was a rest day.
>>
>>37961486
Serotonin
>>
Hey /fit/, i have a problem when i squat. I've only been on SS for about 3~ weeks only 1pl8 right now, but when finish my first working set i have this stinging pain from my inner thighs. Should i deload and work back up to it?
>>
File: 1465720558090.jpg (1 MB, 2052x2235) Image search: [Google]
1465720558090.jpg
1 MB, 2052x2235
What do I do about all the excess skin on my ass and thighs thats there from losing weight? Its seriously all fucked up down there now and seems like no matter how many squat like exercises I do nothing changes it.

Also this weird clump of fat that settled just above my ass makes me want to kms.
>>
>>37961504
no

the gains you make from day to day are miniscule and you've only set yourself back a tiny bit, on the grand scheme it means nothing (assuming you eat and sleep and train correctly)
>>
>>37961430
>is it okay if my squat remains lighter
youre not going to die. obviously not ideal but i dont know why youre so concerned.

>bench fucks your shoulders
only if you do it with 90 degree shoulders like a moron. watch the "retract the fucking scapula" video with the funny black guy and also mark rippetoe's video for benching. good form means good shoulders.
>>
>>37960249
You should seriously see a chiropractor dude
>>
>>37961465
I misunderstood your post, my bad. Answer is yes, well really it doesnt matter. Do extra sets to get your form down, why do you need to ask /fit/ if thats ok? nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>37960508
I'd cut about 10-15 pounds and just start a bulk from there. I'd highly recommend creatine and a complete multivitamin, your going to want as much testosterone as you can get when you start that first bulk
>>
>>37961551
I just want to progress.

WIll check out funny black guy, thank you
>>
>>37961509
stretch ur hip flexors and watch alan thrall's squat videos
>>
>>37960593
Oats. Squats and oats bro
>>
>>37961537
to lose the fat, cut.

to lose the loose skin, keep building muscle, apply lotion, drink lots of water, and give it time. Also pray because there are no guarantees with loose skin unfortunately. best of luck.
>>
>>37961567
I ask because I could learn something new or another angle of thought, plus if a 3x5 isnt different than a 5x5 then id rather do the former so I can gain some extra time in the evening
>>
>>37961508

>Serotonin

Could it be argued then that if I took Serotonin in the morning I could wake up quicker/easier?

I deal with this groggy feeling until the sun finally breaks through the clouds. No clouds means I wake up a lot quicker, but if its heavy overcast it takes longer.

Would taking serotonin help with this?
>>
>>37961705
if you've ever done acid or mdma and know a little about how they work, this post is so hilarious to read.
>>
>>37961725

I haven't.

Why is it so funny?
>>
>>37961705
I believe it would, yes
But then again, I don't really know enough about it to make a sure statement, so I'd suggest you check with your doctor
>>
>>37961754
Because serotonin controls feelings of happiness, contentment, love, memories and other shit like that, and is not at all well understood by science. Serotonergic drugs such as lsd and mdma affect the brains serotonin system, causing all sorts of, ah, interesting effects.

The idea that there is some "opposite" to melatonin is actually completely retarded and I have no idea how you came up with it. The anon that posted serotonin was obviously fucking with you.
>>
>>37961607
The only real guarantee with loose skin is surgery. Fuck.
>>
>>37961790
still, beats being fat
>>
When you have to gain like 1 lb per week how do you know you are doing it right, like if you dont take a proper shit the weight changes so much?
>>
File: XbsMMJU.jpg (81 KB, 547x465) Image search: [Google]
XbsMMJU.jpg
81 KB, 547x465
Somebody on /fit/ told me to replace the rows with chin ups until I can do 3x5 chin ups. Should I listen to them or start with barbell? I'm already doing pull ups for this routine, so I feel like it might be redundant, but you guys are the experts
>>
>>37961777

Is it?

I had a friend once who had to go on a crazy sleep schedule and remember him taking melatonin to fall asleep and something else to wake up. I thought it was a caffeine pill but it wasn't.

A google search brought up seratonin but I knew it had to do with happiness. That's why I asked here, to see if it also helped with waking up or if there was something else I was looking for.

Setotonin, or at least 5-HTP, is sold over the counter so when the other guy said serotonin I figured maybe that was just it.
>>
>>37961807
measure your weight every morning, preferably after a shit. this is most consistent. Put the numbers in excel and take an average every 7 days. See how the average changes.
>>
>>37961809
Sorry, I meant pull ups. Chin ups is already on the routine
>>
>>37961811
5 htp is different. I think it encourages serotonin production, a friend of mine uses it to help come down from mdma. (she does it alot more than i do).

serotonin might well have something to do with waking up in the morning. no idea.
>>
>>37961809
the specifics really dont matter that much. both work the lats. do which one you prefer, or ideally do both. Routines dont have to be set in stone.
>>
Is there a place I can get a menu, maybe biweekly or monthly, that meets certain calorie parameters and I just follow it?
I'm willing to sacrifice on my personal tastes for the convenience and certainty a prepared one might find
>>
>>37961848
where are you from? in australia we have light and easy and it's fantastic if you're too lazy to cook
>>
>>37961847
Alrighty, I think I'll go to barbell rows. I seem to be advancing in all my weight based exercises, I'm still having trouble reaching 3x5. Have been fucking up at the last 2 reps for a while
>>
>>37961857
Texas
>>
>>37961868
Hello fellow Texan. Houston?
>>
>>37961878
Klein, NW Houston
At A&M during the school year
>>
>>37961881
Holy shit nigga! Me too!

Sociology major. Joining the HPD when I graduate
>>
>>37961848
Just buy a fuckton of chicken breast, oats, milk, green leafy vegetables, eggs, bananas, shit like garlic and onions and lemons, and spices and hot sauce and whatever

for breakfast have some eggs or have milk and oats or both whatever. bananas too

for lunch have that dank chicken breast with whatever, onions, spices, hot sauce, experiment. have plenty of vegetables also

for dinner do the same thing.

do whatever amounts fit into your calorie and macros budget. those should be your staples.
>>
>>37961889
My brother is on that path, just claimed sociology from Blinn Team
Mom is trying to convince him off of it because of the niggers recently
Have you considered Dallas?
Are you in the Corps?
>>
>>37961889
>>37961881
What the fuck. currently shitposting from louetta and steubner airline

i dont go to a&m, i go out of state
>>
>>37961904
lol I'm on Spring Cypress and Stuebner
Hi NSA

Did you go to Klein?
>>
I binged today. Normally I've been eating 1500 calories a day. Today I ate 2800.

Would it be a horrible idea to only eat 1000 calories tomorrow just to try and salvage this a little? I'd go right back to 1500 the next day. I have over 100 pounds to lose.
>>
>>37961912
Nah, went to a charter school. Harmony? you may have heard of it

This is crazy lol. what gym do you go to?
>>
>>37961902
Nah I'm not in the corp. And I prefer Houston

I'm familiar with the city and its the 5th largest police force in the nation. The pay is nice too!

Sociology is a pain because all they end up talking about is white male privilage. I'm not white, but I still find it annoying.

The blacks aren't too bad, they aren't chosen because of affirmative action if that makes you better. Also last time I checked, TAMU is the 5th whitest school in the nation
>>
>>37961840

It does encourage serotonin production.

That's why I'm curious if serotonin wakes you up at all. Cause then I'd try 5-HTP to kick-start serotonin production which would then help me waking up.

Maybe not as strong/quick as caffeine, but I'm looking for that waking feeling I get when the sun is out. I can wake up immediately if its a sunny morning and its time to get up. But on overcast not so much.
>>
>>37961915
If you can do it, go for it. But the important thing is the day after day after day grind, not messing up one day. If you have 100 lbs to lose, your TDEE probably isnt even much lower (if it all) than 2800. So really it's more like a pause in progress rather than a step back.

Also, dont think of it as 100 lbs to lose. Every pound you lose makes a difference.

Lose 1 pound 100 times.
>>
>>37961921
My house
I know Harmony

I've been a member of the FLC gym at Champion Forest Baptist, but not this summer

>>37961927
Maybe the 5th whitest large public school, but I really don't believe we're one of the whitest.
Related, that incident earlier this year of the Dallas ethnic youths taking a tour and getting "harassed" was BS
>>
>>37961945
>my house
jelly, wish i had a home gym. I go to shitty-ass 24 hr fitness

i have a few friends (all white actually) at a&m and none of them have mentioned any issues with affirmative action fwiw. you probably won't find very many colleges, besides very small ones, that are more conservative and white than a&m
>>
>>37961986
Mormon president young is pretty affirmative action

I know you're right, but the liberal of the state institution is still upsetting to me :`^(
It's my zip year though, it's going to be great
>>
>>37962014
Dont worry about it much. Im at a very liberal private school and although there is a decent amount of all that here, it's easy to ignore and get on with your life.
>>
Anyone have that pic of the guy spreading his legs on the subway looking up and listening to music?
N-no homo
>>
What's the longest period you've gone without going to the gym? I've been on a 6 month hiatus
>>
I gained 0.7 kg this week bulking, but I didn't take a shit. First time bulking. Is it ok or do I need to reduce kcals?
>>
Overweight guy losing weight for the first time in his life, never been under, say, 20% bodyfat, so I don't know what being a healthy weight or thin is like.

At what point should I switch gears and start the path to bulking? As of right now I can't gain any muscle while cutting and I'm too fat to bulk.
>>
are refeeds necessary ? I've been cutting for 6 weeks, should I have one ?
>>
Is going as wide as possible with hands on low bar squatting wrong?
>>
>>37962326

Not really right, not really wrong. People will argue forever on the correct grip width but you'll see people put up huge squats with the whole range. Long as the bar is stable and you're not getting elbow problems, its all good.
>>
>>37961586
Alright, thanks for the info Anon
>>
When I low bar squat my thumbs hurts a lot (I put them over the bar), tips?
>>
>>37961928
Have you tried one of these light-alarms ?
>>
>>37960249
I want to try creatine, because I want to train more but i feel like my body doesnt recover fast enough. Plus, its really hard to find neutral information on that topic. It's either supplement companies shilling or websites against it. Any tips/experiences on that topic? Thanks in advance
>>
>>37962537

It makes very little difference and the difference it does make is during the workouts, not between them. There's not really any reason to avoid taking it (unless you're already going bald) and its cheap so it's a pretty common supplement but don't expect huge gains.
>>
>>37962367
widen grip

support the bar on your back not your thumbs
>>
>>37962546
I dont expect gains from it, i expect to be able to train harder or more often. How bad is the balding part? Hair genes in my family are good.
>>
>>37961356
>keep protein fairly low
wat
>>
>>37962608

It won't do that for you. Creatine allows you to get maybe an extra rep or two on sets in the moderate rep range. It won't do shit to help you train more often or tolerate more sets in the same workout.
>>
I'm a skinny guy (190cm, 77kg) who's never been to the gym. I'm going this afternoon and I wanna get into Starting strength.
1. Should I rely on a trainer to show me how to properly do the exercises? I watched tutorials on how to deadlift, squat etc..
2. What weight should I start out with? I'm weak as fuck. What's the minimum starting weight? I'll obviously try the exercises without any additional weight initially.
>>
>>37962262
Read the sticky
>>
>>37962649
Trainer's can be crap or they can be good. The stuff you read on the internet is good generally and will help you spot a poor trainer. Get the trainer to give you form advice.

Start with the bar to warm up and add weight until 5 reps feels challenging but doable. Don't worry about the starting weight, the most important thing is progress.
>>
Whats the difference between gluteus maximus medius? If I want a bubble butt which ones do I have to exercise?
>>
I'm kinda new. Is it okay to do Stronglifts without 1.25 kg/2.5 lbs plates? My gym only have 2.5 kg plates and because I'm a broke student living in a third world country, I can't buy them online.
>>
File: donnie_yen.jpg (66 KB, 518x534) Image search: [Google]
donnie_yen.jpg
66 KB, 518x534
I am a karateka for 5 years now.
I train on monday, tuesday and friday.

Additionally I want to pick up weightlifting now, Ideally I want to achieve dat donnie yen goal body.

Is lifting on monday, wednesday and friday additional to karate on monday, tuesday and friday enough to achieve this physique?
>>
>>37962925
Update: I want to stay natty.
>>
I'm thinking of buying a support belt. Is it a meme? What should I look for in a belt? I heard some guy at the gym say a belt is beneficial when DLing above 100 kg and I'm working on 120.
>>
>>37962950
Also interested. From what weight shoud one start using the belt?
>>
File: VID_20160718_585200.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
VID_20160718_585200.webm
2 MB, 640x360
How's my form? Am I on the way to snap city?
>>
>>37963201
Keep your chest up.

Bar should start over mid foot, looks above your toe from here, that may be why you lean forward a tad.
>>
>>37962950
It's really not needed imo. I've personally pulled 200kg w/o a belt and squated 140, seen plenty of others do the same. Most /fit/izens get to those kinds of numbers and then move away from strength.

I certainly wouldn't use one early, you want to develop your core, not use a crutch
>>
Is it ok to be "hungry"? As in have noticeable hunger pangs while eating on a calorific deficit while losing weight?

I've read different schools of thought saying you should never be "hungry" and so when you get the pangs... eat something.

So I have been, (while still paying attention to calories) I have a small handful of unsalted nuts which banishes the hunger for another 45-60 minutes or so.

Or ignore them and drink water and wait for next meal?

So what do /fit/ ?
>>
Yeah, he doesn't actually have a great deal of mass.
>>
>>37963222
Idiotic post. Remove yourself and your disinfo from this board, please.
>>
>>37963227
>Is it ok to be "hungry"? As in have noticeable hunger pangs while eating on a calorific deficit while losing weight?
You should get used to it. If not eat more fibrous (low cal) veggies to fill you up. Cut out drinks that have calories as well as calorie dense foods to help you feel sated.

Personally I do IF, within 3-4 days your body gets used to 16 hour fasts and 2000 calories in an 8 our window is enjoyable.
>>
>>37963216
Thanks, what are the queues for keeping your chest up? I've got a long torso, but short legs so I'm already as high as possible and any further I can't reach the bar
>>
>>37963233
You don't need a fucking belt.
>>
>>37963239
>, what are the queues for keeping your chest up
desu for me it's just chest up, imaging you are a girl pushing your tits out.
>>
>>37963236

>You should get used to it. If not eat more fibrous (low cal) veggies to fill you up

For mornings maybe a larger serving of porridge (oats) then...

>>37963236

>IF

That's really interesting, what's your fasting - non fasting windows?

Everyone keeps harping on about 5-2
>>
>>37963246
Absolutely right, but your post was still utterly fucking idiotic. Remove yourself.
>>
>>37963269
Keep backpeddling all the way out of the thread.
>>
>>37963251
Awesome thanks
>>
>>37963266
>For mornings maybe a larger serving of porridge (oats) then...
Oats are typically not low cal nor great macros when cutting because you normally have to hit protein, fat and micros and barely have much left over for carbs.

IF is just alternating fast/feed windows. When people say IF they typically mean 16/8, it's just a trick to help with satiety and doesn't really have non-negligible benefits beyond that.

20/4 is warrior diet. 5 days / 2 days is in the book eat stop eat.
>>
I've kinda ran out of steam with my current programming. I think mostly want to strip back to basics, do lots of volume, but focused on weaknesses.

Been doing two heavy days (3 rep x 10 at 80% of 1RM, squat variant then deadlift variant and then accessory work), then 4 lower volume speed days (squat variant 5 rep x 60% of 1RM for speed out the hole, then oly technique work up to 70% of maxes for working sets (reps of 3)).

Looking for suggestions of what to focus on. I like doing lots, and have time spare, but not sure if it's the most efficient way of training.

These are my 1 rep maxes for different variants of lifts (tested, not from calculators):

>184kg deadlift
>190kg sumo deadlift
>197kg deadlift off low blocks (6" blocks)
>170kg deficit deadlift (6" deficit)
>175kg squat (moderate width, substantially below parallel)
>167kg pause squat (3 second count)
>172kg box squat (spot on parallel for box height)
>140kg front squat
> 105kg clean
> 90kg press
> 85kg clean and jerk
> 72kg snatch
> I haven't done bench in 4 years

I'm 5'11" and 91kg BW. I like food so have to be careful I don't stack it on, and so running a small deficit currently but not strictly or anything.

Any suggestions from those numbers on where I have imbalances? I feel I can't call it out myself.
>>
>>37963321
Ask the Power Lifter or Weight lifting generals. $50 you are stronger than the people responding in these threads.
>>
>>37963321

Honestly, kind of sounds like you might benefit from something like conjugate. Hit a couple heavy lifts for strength then just bro the fuck out on assistance.

Numbers look pretty balanced, aside from your oly numbers which I'm assuming is just a lack of technical proficiency.
>>
File: 1468025079362.jpg (62 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
1468025079362.jpg
62 KB, 395x401
Why can't I buy beer until 7am? I want to drink right after my night shift but I have to wait.
>>
Is it normal that my wrist curl weight is greater than my reverse wrist curl weight?
>>
>>37962905
please
>>
>>37963321
>90kg the press
>105kg clean
>85kg clean and jerk
what
>>
>>37963329
haha thanks?

>>37963334
Thanks for the reply. I've only been doing oly since February. I have no idea what I'm doing really, and so lean on the guys in the gym to guide me. There's some experienced heads there who I have rapport with. Apparently I'm not horrible, but it feels it most days. Hasn't hit that point with any lifts (excluding cleans) where it's "clicked".
>>
>>37963354
press there means strict press
>>
>>37963371
i know, but how can his jerk be lower than his strict press regardless of technical difficulty?
>>
>>37963374
I'm unco as fuck and have been doing jerk since Feb, but pressing for longer
>>
>>37963374

If you're slow enough/shit enough, its possible to have a jerk below your press just by getting called for pressouts even on pretty light weights.
>>
Can somebody post a good oat shake blender recipe? Image or text is fine.

Thinking 2-3 cups oats, 1 scoop whey, 1 banana, 4 cups milk.
>>
>>37963341
It's normal. Why would you even
bother doing that shit whatsoever is a seperate matter.
>>37963339
Because life is pain, anon.
>>
>>37963391
2-3 cups oats, 2 scoop whey, 1 banana, 4 cups milk, honey.
>>
>>37960249

strong lifts
9 weeks
insanely weak at squats
can't do 50kg (110lbs) 5 x 5
CAN overhead/bench press 45kg (100lbs) 5 x 5

Why?
>>
If I'm DL'ing 4pl8 can I slam the weight without looking like an asshole? I don't drop it from the top but I don't really slow it's decent either. Gym staff never bothers me cause I put mate under the weights but I've been getting looks from curl bros.
>>
>>37963554
Descent*
Mats**
Fucking phones.
>>
I just got some sealed (well, plastic on the top but there was powder on the outside of the foil lid) but expired Sci-MX Whey Hardcore in vanilla flavour for free. It has a very very sharp smell, can smell the Vanilla but I'm not entirely sure if it's safe to consume? I've never had a proper protein shake before so I can't really tell if it's legit and I can't afford to get sick from it.

Any way of telling if it's safe to consume? It has no clumps or discolouring for one. It's a mix of Whey and Creatine it would seem.
>>
>>37963554
theyre probably mirin just slam that shit down its a gym not a fucking preschool kindergarten baby shit
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 750x1334
>>37963391
>>37963453
No banana or honey because I'm not trying to get diabetes.

My gains goblin parents made cookies with the oats from last time I was home from college. Shoo shoo gains goblin.

Also surprisingly no semen is in this drink.
>>
this is my routine:
>2 days a week
barbell squats 5x5
bench press 5x5
rows 5x5
>second day
squats 5x5
ohp 5x5
deadlift 5x5

>2 days a week
pushups on second day dips
squats
handstand push ups
pull ups
hanging leg raises
plank

all x f

>one day a week
2 hours boxing

>every day
1 mile running
shadow boxing

Is this a good routine? give me tips bros
>>
>>37963609
>thinking bananas will give you diabetes

My least favorite meme
>>
During a cut after how long do you recalculate your calories?
>>
>>37963688
Is a tbsp of honey way too much to be having daily?
>>
I only just started using protein powder after workouts. I only use
One scoop per workout session. should I be taking more or is it just a waste of protein?
>>
>>37963747
45g of protein is the most you can use in one sitting
basically 1 scoop and some PB or milk to hit 45
>>
>>37963618
pls respond
>>
Does coffee really stunt growth? Doctor said I'd get to be 6'1, only 5'11. I drank a shitton of coffee in HS
>>
>>37963773
nope
>>
>>37963812
great argument

citation needed
>>
>>37963227
you'll stop getting hungry eventually. i've been fat my whole life, and after a couple weeks of cutting, i'll sometimes forget to have dinner and need to remind myself to eat.
>>
>>37963618
Might be a little too much volume. Keep at least one day of rest between these 2:
>barbell squats 5x5
>bench press 5x5
>rows 5x5
>>second day
>squats 5x5
>ohp 5x5
>deadlift 5x5

If not you'll be compromising the your second workout and I don't know about you but I don't want my OHP to be compromised for bench.

I'm not really a fan of this:
>>2 days a week
>pushups on second day dips
>squats
>handstand push ups
>pull ups
>hanging leg raises
>plank
>all x f

But if you're training endurance for boxing, I guess it's necessary. I don't know anything about boxing routines.
>>
>5'9, 83kg, lifting for 1 year, 1pl8 OHP, 2pl8 bench
>only cardio is skip rope
>tried to run today
>instead of running at a regular pace I was sprinting->walking because I feel a sharp pain/tightness on my lower right rip if I keep at him for a long consistent time
What gives /fit/?
>>
Im bulking on SS and want to add in 1 or two days of cardio. Ideally id want one HIIT session and one LISS session
How should I go about fitting this into the routine? I can eat more calories too, so don't worry about diet or anything.
I was thinking HIIT sprinting or rowing after one of the gym sessions and a long jog on the first day of the two day rest period.
>>
>>37964005
>rip
rib
Anyway I've always that ever since I started to get /fit/, I used to run 1 year ago but stopped because I'm too lazy to wake up at 5 am.
>>
>>37963747
Don't use protein powder to get a post workout drink. It's a shill by the supplement industry. Only use it as you use chicken breast. It's only protein, nothing special about it. Also, the anabolic window is not so small that you need to get protein in RIGHT after a workout. Just eat a normal dinner with sufficient protein content. Keep in mind 0.6g of protein per lbs of bodyweight is more than enough to build muscle. And don't listen to >>37963773. It's been proven that overall consumption of protein is the only important factor when it comes to how much muscle mass can be built. Protein timing is also just a myth perpetuated by the supplement industry, supported only by studies that show the maximum protein synthesis occurs at about 30g per meal, which means jack shit because what's actually important is how big you get and it's been proven, someone getting 3 meals with the same amount of protein as a group that eats 6 meals with the same amount does not cause an increase in lean body mass. It's like with calories.

Something else people don't realize when they say you piss out or turn it into glucose is, both of those processes make less sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Do you think ancient humans went: "Yeah nah brah, I already ate 4oz of this fuckhuge fish we caught, I can't get anymore protein in. Yo where the fruit at?" No, of course not, they consumed as many of the nutrients that were available to them at that moment, and only the ones who metabolized it most effectively were able to survive.
>>
>>37964011
Do cardio on weekends.
>>
>>37964157
so something like AxBxAcc? Wouldn't this leave me pretty unrecovered for the first session of the week?
Also what about HIIT/LISS?
>>
Does NoFap actually help with test levels?
>>
>>37964192
No, the only thing that helps with test levels is working out and good nutrition to maintain a good hormonal balance. Unless you use steroids you'll never get above your natural levels.
>>
Is it possible to get sick from consuming too much zinc?
>>
I need a power rack.
>>
>>37964327
read SS. There is plenty of stuff about what you have to look for and how to build your own

download it from
powerliftinggeneral.com

or pay the man
>>
>>37964317
I'm sure you can an hero yourself with anything, mate. Why do you ask?
>>
>>37964011
LISS can be done any time that isn't right before a workout. I find that Saturday is the best time to do HIIIT. Conflicts with my squats otherwise.
>>
>>37964374
I got really sick after starting taking a zinc supplement. Was on my ass for a whole week puking every hour. I think my diet probably had enough zinc that the supplement was overkill
>>
>>37964380
Have you tried doing it after a workout? Just a quick 15 mins or so to pump the heart rate and accelerate your metabolism
>>
>>37964385
I doubt that it was because of the zinc. I mean, when you take exactly the amount wich is recomended it shouldn't fuck your shit up. Otherwise you weren't able to get it so easily, dob't you think?
Maybe you are allergic to zinc but that is way more unlikely than catching some virus or shit
>>
I've been cutting since January and have stalled really hard these last two months. I'm already losing strength/am pretty much always starving so I'm reluctant to drop my intake anymore (currently at 1600cal). Should I go to maintainence for a week or two to reset my metabolism, or is that bioscience?
>>
>>37964486
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ
u mad?
>>
>>37964500
No, but I am skinnyfat as fuck and want to leave this hell before going back into any kind of surplus again.
>>
>>37964486
This game looks like a blast. I need to get it
>>
>>37964523
It's one of the greatest, and it came free with a box of fucking Rice Chex
>>
>>37964519
Ok, to answer your question, yes, "reseting your metabolism" is complete broscience and bs
>>
is anabolic window real ? or just a meme ?
before you say read the sticky, i read it. i also searched the topic really hard.
some researchs claims it is real and some dont.
>>
>>37961287
I hit 3pl8 squat and 1pl8 bench at the same time , feels bad man
>>
>>37964576
I think you should eat after a workout and then go to bed after that. Just feels natural.
but a proton shake with glucose or a banana or a recovery5000 bar in the locker room is just retarded
>>
>>37961878
My niggas, any league City/friendswood fags here?
>>
Yo quick question,

With steroids there are studies that show people not even lifting and gaining more muscle that someone lifting natty.

How is that possible if they aren't intaking shit loads of protein?

Do I really need to intake my body weight in grams of protein?

Also my chest is heavily underdeveloped. Can I work that bitch every day in order to catch it up?
>>
>>37964646
>steroids
look: Chad has better genetics and therefore more test than you, so thats why he is bigger even though you both do not even lift

>protein
it is 1g/lb bw or 2g/kg bw FROM HQ SOURCES

>Chest
No. What you can do is concentrate more on benching. Like, you go to the gym, do your squats like normal and then really push yourself on the bench and get your 5RM up and up and up
>>
If I weigh 250 now, how long approximately would it take me to get down to 150?
I've lost 25 lbs in a month if that helps at all.
>>
Had my gym induction today, with a personal trainer showing me and getting me to perform the correct forms on squats, deadlifts, presses, etc.

Felt good.

On Wednesday I start the GSLP program, but I have a question.

GSLP stresses the importance of using 2 kg and 1 kg plates (5 lb and 2.5 lb) to increase the weight.

My gym only has 2.5 kg and 1.25 kg plates.

I'm assuming this won't make a huge amount of difference in the long run, but I just wanted to check that it's not pointless running this program without the exact weight amounts recommended.
>>
>>37964792
Too many variables, too little information.
>>
are there any good websites for helping in creating a good meal plan?
Very sick of dirty bulk...
>>
>>37964732
when i mention steroid im bringing that up because the guy on roids is gaining muscle mass without a lot of protein, where ass the natty guy is consuming the 1g per lb amount, yet cant keep up in muscle growth.

So my question is how is muscle being built by the roid guy if he isnt consuming protein?
>>
>>37964972
He is eating some protein so he can build some muscle
He takes more steroids thn the other guy eats protein
How is that so hard to understand
>>
>>37964800
most people will do just fine with 1.25kg plate progression for their linear progress
it might get annoying for ohp, if you want you can order 0.5kg plates online for cheapo
>>
>>37964800
Won't make a significant difference
>>
I lost around thirty or so pounds since January. In that same time, I maxed out on my bench and it fell five pounds. Is that to be expected or did I not progress enough on my lifts
>>
File: anabolic window.png (147 KB, 501x685) Image search: [Google]
anabolic window.png
147 KB, 501x685
>>37964576
it doesn't matter enough
no need to gulp down a shake after training
get some food in when you get home
carbs before training so you can train hard
here's a nice article if you can be bothered to read it, just appeared on my timeline an hour ago
https://simplifaster.com/articles/post-workout-anabolic-window-opportunity-really-exist/
>>
Hi there! With pokemon go release, i've been going out like every day and walking/biking and it's motivated me to start getting into shape. Read the stickied post and had a question about workouts; so with lifting, it says I should do something like a MON/WED/FRI plan, but then where does the cardio come in? Do i do that on like TUE/THU/SAT? or on the same days?
>>
File: 1407277295492.jpg (198 KB, 952x768) Image search: [Google]
1407277295492.jpg
198 KB, 952x768
Is it normal that my fingers get absolutely squished during snatch grip deadlift? I lose feeling my second little finger afterwards.
Doing 2x5 115kg right now while my 1x5 is 160kg no straps, no mixed grip, just chalk
>>
How's this for a beginner PPL routine?
i know it's reddit, but the routine seems ok
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
>>
>>37965028
Well then if a man eating protein can't gain as much muscle as a guy eating little protein but doing steroids then 1g per lb is a meme and you are wasting protien
>>
>>37965058
Whatever you're comfortable with. I usually do cardio after my lifting session. You could do it on your rest days but it might fuck with your recovery just a little bit, especially since you're just starting out and you're gonna feel more sore than usual.
>>
>>37965094
Awesome thank you! So would lifting and then doing the daily "couch to 5k" on MON/WED/FRI be a decent start?

Another question; my apartment complex gym has machines and not dumbbell/barbells; i read in the sticky that those are better than the machines. For just starting out, are machines okay, or do I want to get a membership somewhere with the bells as soon as possible?
>>
>>37964972
because the 1g/lb is meme propaganda pushed by the supp industry.

i don't rememeber exactly but I think the upper limit that you need is like 0.6g/lb

and the natty needs more protein to ensure growth than the guy on steroids because test is very anabolic, therefore their body is 'better' at building muscle, so the body environment doesn't have to be as perfect.
>>
Lean bulking + carb cycling: is it possible to recomp using this setup, or should I just kill myself and go cutmode?
>>
My gf had surgery on her calves so she had to use a walker and as a result she barely moved during her recovery. She now doesn't need the walker and can walk normally. She gathered some extra weight from her recovery and she wants to lose it. She tried running for cardio but it ends up hurting her calves after like 5 minutes.

Is there anything she could do for cardio that's easier or doesn't even require her calves?

She's really ashamed of the extra weight (even tho it's not that bad) and she pushed herself really hard while running the other day but it was too much pain and she started crying.

Thanks in advanced brahs
>>
>>37961322
He just looks skinnyfat, not especially fat.
When he's beginner yes, I recommend bulking to buld starting strength.
>>
>>37965125
Yeah that's fine.

And to answer the gym question. I recommend you get access to a gym with Dumbbells and barbells. You're really limited with what you can work if you only have machines. And almost all routines you find on the internet require dbs or bbs.

We're all gonna make it brah
>>
>>37965029
>>37965035
Thanks, anons.

In regards to buying my own 0.5 kg plates, is that common in the gym? Won't look weird walking in there with my own plates or anything?
>>
>>37965125
I made the mistake of doing machines only for the first month because I was a bit intimidated by the free weights area.
If you can, try to get a gym membership. Maybe look around and see what the free weights area is like. A good gym has space for deadlifting, powerracks and squatracks, a few benches, etc.
If a gym has this kind of equipment the staff that works there is usually experienced with barbell lifts and can show you proper form
>>
>>37965191
not really, i saw someone with them for the first time recently and the first thing I thought was
>you clever as fuck mayne
>>
File: seriouslee.jpg (10 KB, 200x220) Image search: [Google]
seriouslee.jpg
10 KB, 200x220
Currently doing SL, today the gym was packed and I couldn't do bench during the whole workout so I just did dumbell benchpress for 5x5 instead of regular bench, should I still increase the bench weight like usual?
>>
>>37965188
ok one last question about gyms and db/bbs; with a standard membership somewhere to a bigger gym, do they have people you can like go and ask questions to? I wouldn't want to just go buy a membership and then start picking up the weights and have no idea what i'm doing, making myself like a massive retard.
>>
>>37965194
ok thank you for that! so you said if they have that kind of equipment the staff is knowledgeable; with a stanard like gym membership, am I allowed to go and like ask questions about workouts/starting out and such?
>>
>>37965140
ahh see that makes sense, the roids make it over all more efficient.

I fee like im seeing results and im not getting the full 1 to 1 ratio of protein and im worried im missing out on bigger gains because im not hitting the magic number
>>
>>37965213
Yeah man, you'll be able to do an induction. A personal trainer will ask what you want to achieve, just tell them you already know how to use machines and you're looking for somebody to teach you barbell/dumbbell form.

You'll get about 40-60 mins of tuition on form - more than enough - and then they'll probably try and sell you some personal training sessions. Tell them to fuck off, and grab a program from the interest (Starting Strength or Greyskull LP are good).
>>
>>37965213
You could talk to a trainer at the gym. Some gyms though trainers are expensive.

I recommend you find a routine before you go in, Google all the lifts and watch videos on how to do them, and then go in and do them at the gym. Usually just googling the lift brings a bodybuilding result that has a short 10 second video showing the form.

I did SL5x5 for my first routine.
Another option though is PHUL.
>>
>>37965239
>interest
>internet
>>
>>37962326
Rippetits recommends a narrower grip so there is more muscle supporting the bar, but it won't hurt and is not wrong.

>>37962913
Probably not, you need a more finegrained progression. You can use some chains or tie some water bottles. Ghetto as fuck.

>>37962905
gluteus maximus does the bulk of the work for hip extension, and is also the biggest muscle
gluteus medius/minimus helps in abduction, rotation, and is smaller
for a big butt working the maximus is enough and the others will get an isometric workout

>>37963522
poor form?
going too deep and losing tension at the bottom?

>>37963806
meme

>>37963825
https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/
inb4 not an argument

>>37964486
not bioscience, see pic

>>37965141
if you're an advanced trainee yeah, but it may be slower than cutting/bulking, see for yourself

>>37965210
If you did your working weight (the weight the program asks for), yes.
>>
>>37965228
>with a stanard like gym membership, am I allowed to go and like ask questions about workouts/starting out and such
yes absolutely, that's what staff is for
if you have a question there's probably a few people walking around to help you
and if you think they say retarded shit (some personal trainers can be retarded) you can always ask it on /fit/ or watch a video on youtube
>>
>>37965239
I don't quite know how to use all of the machines, so i'd probably still let em show me just be safe. Is there any benefit to the personal trainer or is it just a shill for more money? (sorry i know i said last questions!)

>>37965253
ok cool, thank you! Yeah the stickied post weight lifting has short videos on all/most of them.

thank you both for the help!
>>
>>37965297
>I don't quite know how to use all of the machines
In general machines aren't as effective or useful for building "real-world strength" as free weights. What anon meant is you should tell him that so he focuses on the weights.
Machines are only useful for some isolation movements and are pretty straightforward to use anyway, require little lecturing on form.

>Is there any benefit to the personal trainer
Aside from learning proper form, no, you're better off building your own programs.
Often PTs don't have an interest on helping you achieve your goals (strength, hypertrophy, etc) but on avoiding injury as much as possible, making sure you keep going to the gym / to them, etc.
Also they are often underqualified.
>>
File: 1372252959921.jpg (2 MB, 1472x1748) Image search: [Google]
1372252959921.jpg
2 MB, 1472x1748
>>37960249
I'm trying to invent a liquid mixture that I can put in a gallon jug and take to work every day that will give a good balance of carbohydrates, protein, and lots of calories. Does anyone know something like that? Does anyone have any ideas for what I should put into it? I'm thinking oats, peanut butter, and milk as the base.
>>
>>37965377
soylent
look @ the diy recipes.
>>
>>37965327
What anon meant is you should tell him that so he focuses on the weights.

Exactly this.

The only machine I ever use is for lat pulldowns, and you can learn how to do that properly just by watching a video.
>>
I started bicycling to school which means I had to up my caloric intake by about 800 calories to not lose gains. Should I keep my macros the same just with more calories or should I replace the calories lost with only carbs/fats?
>>
>>37965392
If you're hitting your protein macros already, there's no need to overdo it and have more; you can eat more carbs and fats.
>>
>>37961576
Completely new to lifting and nutrition, why would he want to cut first before bulking? Surely just going straight into lifting will cut out the middle step?
>>
>>37965076
Just do Starting Strength 5x5.
>>
Starting GSLP, too fat to do chinups so trying to work in lat pulldowns until I can.

How does this look for a sample week, for fat loss and strength building?

Monday
OHP 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 2x5, 1x5+
V-Handle Lat Pulldown 2x8

Tuesday
20-minutes upright bike

Wednesday
Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+
Deadlift 1x5+

Thursday
20-minutes upright bike

Friday
OHP 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 2x5, 1x5+
>>
should i just start lifting everyday? i only do home work outs since i have bench, barbell, dumbells, and pull up bar. i dont really feel too tired the next day and could probably work out again. prob go on some kind of split.
>>
I want to eat at maintenance level to recomp

ofc this is difficult because you don't know exactly what your maintenance level is nor can you control precisely how many calories you take in

However if i eat within a good estimate of it, will it work?
>>
>>37960249
Read supple leopard
>>
>>37965800
Estimate, gauge body's reaction over a couple of weeks, adjust accordingly.
>>
>>37965163
He's not skinny fat. He's fat.
>>
>>37962660
>>37962262
Call me an idiot but I can't find anything in the sticky that says when is a good time to start bulking after cutting down from being overweight.
>>
File: 1467632267643.jpg (54 KB, 754x653) Image search: [Google]
1467632267643.jpg
54 KB, 754x653
Went to the gym for the first time today. Doing GSLP, on AMRAP for squats i failed and dropped the weight (safely). Got woozy then threw up in the bathroom.

>im not going to make it am i
>>
>>37966096
Nah man, you're fine. You think a pussy works himself to the point of throwing up? That's not failure, just a setback and an indicator of the hard work that caused it. Keep it up.
>>
>>37966082
It's in the General Philosophies of Muscle Mass Gain link.
>>
>>37963233
>disinfo
Not that anon, but what part of the post offended?
>>
>>37966228
alright, thanks man.
>>
File: CkJTw7hVEAACcSy.jpg orig.jpg (86 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
CkJTw7hVEAACcSy.jpg orig.jpg
86 KB, 750x750
i only curl every other day. That's a good amount right? I see guys doing curls everyday.
>>
>>37963688
You can't do it too often. Try it and if the difference is tiny, wait a little longer for next one.
>>
>>37963706
Not if it fits your macros.
>>
>>37963825
Yet you posted broscience without one...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.