[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Ok /fit/ so I'm moving into the single quarters barracks this week and I have to get groceries and whatnot. I may have access to an electric single burner and mini fridge. I'm pretty poor at the time being payments and whatnot, I can afford about 250$ CAD tops and I'm trying to eat low carb/sugar and high fat/protein. Any tips?
>>
File: x8YY38kh.jpg (258 KB, 1024x910) Image search: [Google]
x8YY38kh.jpg
258 KB, 1024x910
>>
>>37959507
Trust me if I could afford fish, turkey, nuts, oils and fresh fruit I wouldn't be asking. The question is, how do you eat clean on a budget and limited ressources?
>>
>>37959474
Eggs, lard, potatoes, and the cheapest ground meat you can find. Skip fruit and dairy. Shit's expensive.
>>
>>37959531
Buy a small slow cooker (like 30 bucks max) and eat frozen chicken breasts, rice and vegetables out the ass. Throw in whatever else you like when you can too. Eggs, some grains, whatever. A burner is enough to boil water which lets you make all that stuff.
>>
>>37959531
Just buy a crock pot/slow cooker.
Lived in the barracks for 5 years and the crock pot a life saver.
Throw some meat in there and have yourself a stew.
Had to take a fucking 2 hour bus ride both ways to get to a real grocery store so I know your pain.

My suggestion would be to just eat at the chow hall though.
>>
>>37959587
Super expensive though, it's almost 600$ a month!
>>
>>37959633
$600 a month for chow hall? The fuck they serving? Caviar and fillet?
>>
Beans, chicken quarters or legs or thighs(like 4 bux per kg), eggs, frozen vegetables, dairy and bread(occasionally, and only freshly made rolls or plaites, dont buy sliced shit) are extremely cheap.
>>
>>37959474
250 CAD is about 200 USD
I eat very well at $60 a week, I could easily cut that down to $50 a week if I got rid of some luxury stuff. I eat chicken, fish, nuts, eggs, milk, fresh fruits and veggies, and lots of beans/lentils. I wish this "eating healthy is expensive" meme would die already.
>>
Soylent
>>
>Buy whole chicken
>Put some root vegetables, cut into 1" cubes, into bottom of slow cooker
>Place whole chicken on top of root vegetables
>Pour in some sort of liquid (Water, wine, whatever) and whatever herbs/spices you want
>Turn on slow cooker
>Walk away
>Return a few hours later to chicken so moist and tender that it's literally impossible to pull on the leg bone without the meat falling off of it
>>
>>37959734
is expensive
>>
>>37959765
Can't have anything plugged in while you're away in a military barrack. Which is why we have fire watch.
>>
>>37959804

Hmmm.

In that case, you might be better off cooking batch meals.

Buying the whole bird is still the cheapest route, though.

>Butterfly it
>Season it
>Roast it
>Disassemble it
>Eat it over a few days

Get a rice cooker, too.

If you cooked too much rice, just use the leftovers with some of the chicken meat for a stir-fry. Or use it to make some rice pudding (I like making my rice pudding with coconut milk, it's faster easier and healthier than milk and sugar).

Beans are also a good option if you can digest them well. Buy them dry and rehydrate them overnight.
>>
>>37959846
Good advice thanks!

Also thinking of going more vegetarian than carnivore for a while.
>>
>>37959983

Look at the price per calorie, man.
>>
>>37959995
I don't get what you're trying to say? Rice, beans, fruits and potatoes have a lot of calories and are pretty cheap. I'm guessing oils, superfruits, nuts and alternative milks are expensive for sure but it still balances out?
>>
>>37960049

I'm just saying... You could spend 250 CAD on veggies and struggle to meet your caloric requirements, depending on what you get.

If you have two products in hand and they each cost 5$ but one of them has twice the calories, you only need to eat half as much to meet your goals.

Might I suggest downloading an app like MyFitnessPal or some other calorie counter?

MFP has a barcode scanner so you can easily calculate the caloric value of your foods. Helped me a ton.

Scan barcode, confirm the caloric values match up with the label, punch in the number of servings and it'll tell you how many calories you have left. Did a bunch of exercise? Punch it in and it adds calories.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.