[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I even Lift?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dyel.jpg (67 KB, 625x370) Image search: [Google]
dyel.jpg
67 KB, 625x370
Hey guys,
a fat beginner here, 2 months in. Looking for some advice.
First of all, I did read the STICKY and everything.
I am currently trying to lose weight. According to a BMI calculator I'm just inside the first stage of obesity class.

Anyway, I am eating at about 1400 - 1600 kcal a day, going to gym 3 days a week and running 3 days a week (my runs only burn about 300 kcal per session)

The thing that I'm confused about is, should I even go to the gym? Apparently you can't build muscle while in calorie deficit and my main goal right now is to lose weight.

So, should I continue this gym/run split or should I just focus on diet and cardio completely, get to my desired weight, and then start lifting and eat at maintain/surplus to gain muscle?
>>
>>37941561
Yes
>>
>>37941571
OK. Care yo explain why? What are the benefits?
>>
go to the gym
you'll end up skinnyfat without any muscles otherwise
>>
>>37941584
ok, but how will my body make muscle while I'm eating below my TDEE? What am I missing here?
>>
>>37941561
Youre a newbie, things that apply to professionaly athletes dont apply to hamplanets/hungry skeletons whove never touched a barbell in their life. You can build muscle on a cut in the first year of training, maybe less maybe more depends on your genes. Just make sure you get enough protein, aim for 1.5xbw in lbs, dont listen to fuckwits who say 0.8xbw or 80g is enough. Tons of people on fit dont even lift or know anything about anything so be careful whos advice you take. Depending on your goals you might want to read books by mark riptoe and the poliquin principles. Dont trust dyel anons over strength coaches with decades of experience.
>>
>>37941608
>poliquin principles
Thanks, that makes sense. Never heard of the poliquin principles. I'll look into that
>>
>>37941625
Poliquin knows more then you or anyone here will ever know. He probably forgot more then youll even learn. Thats a good source of info, the begining describes some of his achievements, its more then impressive.
>>
>>37941602
>ok, but how will my body make muscle while I'm eating below my TDEE?
That's not how it works. You only lose gains below a certain BF% that your fat ass isn't even close to reaching.
>>
>>37941602
Your body sheds things in this order:

Carbohydrate stores
Fat stores
Muscle

You have to cut carbs out of your diet long enough to shit and piss them all out, then you start burning fat. Once all your fat is gone, you have to start eating your maintenance calories or you lose gains.
>>
Ignore those bulking cutting ppl, they assume you are already fit. If you are significantly overweight, a noob, and eating sufficient protein, you can gain lots of muscle while losing fat. If you don't lift, you might even lose muscle as you diet.
>>
Not OP here but how the fuck do I get 173 grams of protein a day to keep my gains. Already taking protein powder and eating protein bars and still not even 140 grams
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.