[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For what purpose would you need to shrug at the top of the Overhead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
For what purpose would you need to shrug at the top of the Overhead Press?

Is Marcus Rippetoe a mentally retarded fatass?
>>
Scalpulas
>>
>>37902545
explain

Shrugging has nothing to do with scapulae
>>
Upper traps angle the scapula so there is no impingement during the movement. Shrugging at the top just emphasizes this.

You absolute worthless peice of lazy cant-fucking-google shit.
>>
>>37902577
Shrugging excessively seems dangerous for your shoulders
>>
>>37902545
Shrugging your shoulders at the top is a great way to tear your shit up.

Don't fall for this meme.
>>
>>37902583
Fucking what? How?
>>
>>37902654
Because your rotator cuff is already in a vulnerable position. Further pushing it is a good way to hurt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0I6XKuRr-c

Look at this video, you think that's healthy for your shoulders?
>>
>>37902583
well im sure you know more about this than mark rippetoe does
>>
>>37902697
rippetoe has had like 15 injuries and he's fat as fuck. Pretty much anything he says should be discredited. Just look at him and his history
>>
>>37902654
i disagree with this, but there has also been literature about how shrugs are not helpful in that they tighten your shoulder muscles and make them stiff.

but i could be remembering wrong
>>
>>37902696
>Look at this video, you think that's healthy for your shoulders?
...yes?

>>37902716
Let's see your 500 deadlift at age 60.
>>
>>37902748
enjoy your damaged shoulders idiot
>>
>>37902834
Very convincing analysis with extensive empirical support there lad
>>
>>37902851
prove it doesn't destroy your shoulders.

protip - u cant
>>
Clearly OP and the other fags itt haven't read the section in the OHP chapter of SS discussing this very topic. There's even pictures for all you retards who can't understand the text.
>>
>>37902879
>listening to fatass rippetoe who looks like shit and has had over 10 injuries
>>
>>37902864
yes this is why i am posting from under my bed wearing a crash helmet
>>
>>37902897
Why is there so many DYELs here who nuthug rippletits and listen to everything he says as gospel?

He's a fat lazy retard, he doesn't know anything
>>
>>37902928
well?
>>
>>37902653
Literally the opposite
>>
>>37902545
Full ROM for maximal shoulder health.

Also yes, Rippetoe is actually pretty retarded, but his actual program is sound.
>>
>>37903097
>Shrugging your shoulders when they're in a vulnerable position to try to stabilize and support a heavy weight is safe

Retards will believe this.
>>
>>37903111
idiots btfo
>>
>>37903111
I mean I OHP 145x5 and squeeze at the top of every rep and have literally never hurt myself on OHP.
>>
>>37903262
It can be dangerous for people who have had rotator cuff-related injuries in the past or with insufficient mobility.

A little shrug can be okay but shrugging hard like some people do when holding a heavy weight can easily cause injury,.
>>
you retards don't seem to understand that to NOT shrug your shoulders you have to consciously think about keeping them DOWN during the OHP. if you were able to successfully keep them down, you wouldn't make it to the top of the movement, you would be in so much pain.
>>
>>37903456
Wat?

We're talking about a very obvious shrug. It's not analogous with overhead pressing, it's an active movement at the end of the lift.
>>
>>37903482
the shrug that takes place happens gradually as the arm is raised above the head. You don't, at the end of the lift, shrug your damn shoulders in a separate movement.
>>
Can I ask an honest question about OHP here? In OP's pic he's what I would consider much farther out than "just outside shoulder width". I was under the impression you should have your hands literally within 0.5-1 inches of the outside of your deltoid
>>
>>37903490
>You don't, at the end of the lift, shrug your damn shoulders in a separate movement

That's LITERALLY what Mr. Rippetoe tells you to do.
>>
>>37903522
don't have them too wide, but no closer than shoulder width.

best width for you is what's most comfortable, slightly wider than shoulder width, etc
>>
>>37903490
Show a video that describes what you're referring to.
>>
>>37903522

The only question you asked was if you could ask a question.

But yes, the dipshit in OP's pic is, like OP, a colossal faggot and his grip is entirely too wide.
>>
>>37903540
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D3GVKjeY1FM

first 5 seconds
>>
>>37903279
Shut the fuck up, you know nothing about human kinematics.

Jesuschrist.

If anything, people with past rotator cuff injuries should be encouraged to shrug at the top to clear as much space between the acromion process and the head of the humerus. Strong upper traps are essential towards good shoulder health as they are one of the main contributors of the force couple that moves your shoulder joint into full flexion.
>>
>>37903573
show what do you mean by a "natural shrug" fag
>>
>>37903574
yea he's an idiot
>>
>>37903574
It hurts me when I shrug my shoulders at the top of the OHP

Am i doing it too much? Should it be more subtle?
>>
>>37903587
first 10 seconds of video you see the scapula glide upwards...FAG
>>
>>37903603
suck my cock you retarded mongoloid nigger I'M ASKING ABOUT THE SHRUG AT THE TOP OF THE MOVEMENT FAGGOT
>>
File: 4L_H8MrCUkw.jpg (132 KB, 748x739) Image search: [Google]
4L_H8MrCUkw.jpg
132 KB, 748x739
>>37903630
LOL U FAG YOU DON'T DO THAT, THATS RETARDED. PRESS THE WEIGHT YOUR ANATOMY DOES THE REST
>>
>>37903645
>PRESS THE WEIGHT YOUR ANATOMY DOES THE REST

that's what we're talking about here you stupid faggot

Should we be adding a shrug at the top of the movement of not you dumb niglet fuck, that's the whole topic
>>
>>37903669
the shrug riptoe talks about isn't a sudden shrug u imbecile.
it's natural
>>
>>37903687
This is natural?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0I6XKuRr-c

it's an additional movement you fucking fag
>>
>>37903702
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
>>
How in the fuck do you press without a shrug?
There's no fucking lockout if you don"t.
>>
>>37903861
Exactly. These tards are over thinking things.
>>
>>37903111
>shrugging your shoulders to pull your scapula and acromion up and out of the way of impingement is somehow dangerous, because it "seems" dangerous, and ostensibilities trump actual information

0/10 if srs
9/10 if b8
>>
>>37902545
that grip is fucking retarded. Enjoy no power out the hole.
>>
>>37903598

Probably your hand placement that's doing it. When you press up, you may be already pushing out the deltoids in a weird angle when you go to get the bar up to the lockout. Try moving your hands more inwards towards the shoulder-width and see if that might help fix the pain. You should also be pushing straight up during the press, not flaring the elbows out (same logic as the bench press). If your elbows are flaring, deload and work back up. Not worth ripping out your rotator cuff because of your ego.
>>
File: 4L_Ab0WyTmg.jpg (115 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
4L_Ab0WyTmg.jpg
115 KB, 640x640
so when do you guys OHP? should I work shoulders on chest day or give them their own day? currently working chest tris, back bis, and legs...I'm otter mode 10% bf
>>
>>37903111
>believe that you can OHP a weight heavy enough to damage your shoulder just by shrugging
It's like you don't even know that when you do barbell shrugs you're supposed to lift heavier weight than you deadlift
>>
>>37906502
on leg day
>>
>>37904428

Could you explain more please? I've been trying to "correct" my OHP grip to look like OP's pic...
>>
File: 1z5pzxz.jpg (31 KB, 548x600) Image search: [Google]
1z5pzxz.jpg
31 KB, 548x600
>>37902928
post pic, not me but someone who follows rip's advice.
I'm not saying you have to do it as he says, but you don't have to do OHP, you don't have to work out at all, you fucking retard get the fuck back to /r9k/ I fucking hate you people so fucking much. stop shitting up my board.
>>
>>37902888
>who looks like shit a

He's 60. He looks great for his age. Compare to other people who are 60.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.