[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner MMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: mma-classes.jpg (2 MB, 5686x4550) Image search: [Google]
mma-classes.jpg
2 MB, 5686x4550
I made this post last night but would like to get more responses and opinions.

I'm interested in possibly getting into MMA/fighting for fun and also think it may a useful skill to have. Anyone here into MMA or have some starting suggestions for someone with no fighting experience?

I have also looked into Brazilian jiu jitsu and that it may be a good idea for a beginner.
>>
>>37884919
just do bjj and see if you like. less concussions and such
>>
>>37884919

BJJ and MMA with an emphasis on Muay Thai if you can find a gym that does that.
>>
>>37884948
>>37884970
http://gbdeerfield.com/become-a-member/programs/

How about something like this? It seems legit.
>>
>>37884919
Try to find one where they focus quite a lot on sparring
If they spend too much time showing a bunch of different moves it's not gonna register
Only when sparring you can try to integrate a move more naturally
>>
>>37884919
Wouldn't recommend getting into MMA unless you're planning on competing. You'll never get very good without some hard sparring and that shit is hard on your brain.
>>
File: aZNYb8Q_460s_v1.jpg (56 KB, 460x479) Image search: [Google]
aZNYb8Q_460s_v1.jpg
56 KB, 460x479
Go watch this: www.imdb.com/title/tt1698652/
If you got their heart, then go for it, but if you come from some lilly silver spoon family and everything was given to you... you are gonna get eaten alive by people way more hungry than you. PERIOD.
>>
>>37884919
>>37885459
true as that may be, i think he will still have an advantage should he ever get into a street fight or something. better than knowing absolutely nothing.

OP just start with some muay thai or possibly bjj (i prefer muay thai desu). for bjj just step right in with going against higher belts, you can really only learn from them.

for muay thai or other harder contact fighting (basically no grappling) you might want to wait until you've got the basics down. many people go straight into sparring and get discouraged and quit mma altogether
>>
>>37885807
>>37885459
I'm definitely not looking to get really competitive like the guys in that movie, but it's just something I'd be interested in picking up to put the gains to use in some sort of recreational sport. spar, maybe engage in some friendlies but nothing too serious or competitive.
>>
>>37885876
>>>37884919 (OP) (You)
>>>37885459
>i think he will still have an advantage should he ever get into a street fight or something. better than knowing absolutely nothing.

This. I think that knowing I can likely put down any person that fucks with me would be a cool feeling to have. In addition to just doing it for sport, I think it'd be fun.

How long do you suggest I spend learning the basics before starting to spar?
>>
>>37885945
well i wouldnt go so far as to say you can beat any one up without trying. that is the type of shit that takes hard sparring and a lot of experience, espeically during a street fight where there are no rules. but you'll have an advantage for sure.

up to you, ive been doing muay thai for 5 years and started sparring after a few months of going 2 or 3 times a week. granted i was 14 year old who hadnt had his growth spurt yet, so maybe you can go a bit sooner. it really depens how comfortable you are with the techniques

word of warning though, the first couple of times you will get your ass handed to you. sparring is very differnt to hitting a bag or really hitting the pads with an instructor. you kinda have to get a feel for it and learn to take a hit every now and then. basically dont be discouraged if you're not like rocky; being able to take infinte punches while still winning the match. theres a reason he wasnt very bright in the movies
>>
>>37884919
Started kickboxing and BJJ breh its fucking amazing.
It's the best way to do cardio desu

anyway you want to get a proper place where they'll teach you from the basics and up. not some ghetto place that just wants your money
>>
>>37886042
>>37886082
Sounds good. What do you think of the gym I mentioned in an earlier post just based on what they advertise? It seems like the best one in my area.
>>
>>37886942
Go In for yourself and see what they're up to. The gym is only gonna be as good as the coaches. And your mindset of "I kinda wanna learn" might be looked down upon by some people, so try and not talk, take in as much information as possible, and push yourself. The gym I go to, the coach lived with the cyborgs and wanderlei Silva for a bit so if he sees you trying to take a break during rolls or not giving your all, he'll roast your ass. If it's a legit gym, these guys are respectful and nice but they mean business when you're rolling. Take it seriously
>>
>>37887294
I have at least 2 that I plan on visiting. The reason I ask is because a lot of these gyms seem like they're geared towards the average Joe who isn't even /fit/ just looking to learn some basic self-defense rather than more serious athletes wanting get into the sport.
>>
>>37887358
You'll learn from either, but the serious gyms are definitely better. Talk to the head coach, if he says something along the lines of "yeah take one free class" or something just to see if the gym is for you, do it. See if you like it
>>
Hello OP, as former Kickboxer, I will tell you one thing - NEVER say you train for fun or to kill time to your coach, you will not be taken seriously.
>>
>>37888844
Note taken, thank you.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.