[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much realistically could i expect to add to my squat if i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: miket4.jpg (80 KB, 450x484) Image search: [Google]
miket4.jpg
80 KB, 450x484
How much realistically could i expect to add to my squat if i switched to low bar.

I currently have a 500 pound high bar squat
>>
>>37848247

Maybe 10% or so, after a short period of acclimatising to the new form and finding out if you've got any weaknesses that aren't so present high bar.
>>
>>37848263
And the reasoning for that is hb is more quad based while low bar incorporates more muscles correct ?
>>
>>37848263
>if you've got any weaknesses that aren't so present high bar.
What kind of issues usually show ?
>>
>>37848276

The reasoning is more leverages than muscles involved - low bar is simply a shorter lever arm than high bar, so it takes less force to move things. Same basic reason that using a manta pad or SSB makes the movement harder than regular high bar.

>>37848338

Depends on what (if any) differences there are between your setup for the two, but it often ends up being lower back or hamstrings. Not always. Quite often there isn't really a different weak point between the two.
>>
>>37848378
Well that's exciting. At the end of thr month i plan to max. That should give me enough time to get used to it.

I would love to have a 550 squat total
>>
>>37848247
My experience was this

>be me, 5'10", ~165 lbs
>pretty much plateau on hb squat at 3.5pl8 (365lbs) singles sometimes doubles for a few months
>switch to low-bar after watching a few videos
>first session, work my way up to 3pl8, feel like I'm going to fall backwards
>lower back/ass gets sore af for a few days
>keep squatting at same frequency, 2-3 times per week, progressively overloading
>6 weeks later, low-bar squat 4pl8 for triples

I don't know if this is good progress or anything spectacular, but it sure as hell helped me.
>>
>>37848459
oh and a few things i forgot :

>first few sessions, elbows, wrists, rear delts PAINFUL AF
>huge red line going across my rear delts
>deadlifts took a tiny hit because lower back a bit more sore
>gained about 5 lbs in that 6 weeks, didn't really change diet. Don't know how to account for this, but ass certainly is a bit bigger
>>
>>37848474
How do you deal with your wrists? My thumbs were hurting for me so I did thimbles grip, but at this point I'm barely holding the bar down
>>
>>37848633
Practice
>>
A million kg
>>
>>37848633
I watched a ton of videos, eventually came to this one that had a pretty good queue, I will paraphrase:

>if you feel like you could behind the neck overhead press the bar from your starting point, you are positioned wrong. your hands and wrists should feel no pressure and be loose on the bar.
>>
>>37850981
Ayy
>>
Any articles on this increase ?
>>
>>37848378
Thanks
>>
>>37851004
I'd beg to differ on the loose part. You should actively be forcing the bar into your back.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.