[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aight guys, so I only have dumbbells, a bench & a pull up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: iLhAJBl.png (47 KB, 547x465) Image search: [Google]
iLhAJBl.png
47 KB, 547x465
Aight guys, so I only have dumbbells, a bench & a pull up bar. About a week ago a guy helped me with my routine and he basically transformed GSLP (pic related) into a dumbbell routine without deadlifts and I added bis and tris accessories, so here it is:

Workout A
2x4, 2x8 Shoulder Press
2x4, 2x8 Weighted Chin Ups (until I'm able to do them my goal is 4x8 negatives)
3x6 Goblet Squat
4x8 Bicep Curls

Workout B
2x4, 2x8 Bench Press
2x4, 2x8 One Handed Rows
3x6 Lunges
4x8 Skullcrushers

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

However, I was wondering if it would actually be better if instead of 2x4+2x8 on the compound movements I'd do 3x5 as in the original. Would the fact that I'm using dumbbells make a big change?

>inb4 join a gym
>>
>>37785130
I'd say it needs more lower body volume. I'd probably do the squats and lunges both workouts, your legs are like half of your body after all.
>>
>>37785445
my legs are dead after the lunges alone, it's also 6 lunges on its leg btw. Now the squats, yeah they don't make me feel the same burn as the lunges. I guess I could substitute them wtih dumbbell squats but I feel like the form is much harder there, same as the barbell back squat where you have to throw your upper body in front of you instead of just staying upright (yeah I know that you have to keep your back straigth in both). Or I could try some assisted pistol squats that also give me a huge burn, but I'm not sure if I should train single leg everyday, without an exercise that trains both at the same time. But in general my legs are ok with that program. My questions are regarding the bench, the press and the rows. Should I keep em 2x4+2x8 since it's dumbbell and usually higher reps than barbell, or 2x5 & 1xAMRAP would be better?
>>
3x5 is good if you have enough weight for your dumbbells.
>>
>>37785511
I can reach 41kg/90lb on both dumbbells. I can currently db row & bench 21kg each hand and I ohp 19kg, that is for 2x4, but since 3x5 is harder and I'll be able to do less kg they could last me maybe half a year or more.
>>
>>37785511
also, what about 4x5 or 5x5 like stronglifts, would that be too much maybe?
>>
File: 1467077774073.png (293 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1467077774073.png
293 KB, 540x960
the things I have to do to get some damn replies...
slither on, slugger
>>
>>37785556
>>37785612
5x5 builds less strength but more endurance and maybe hypertrophy.
I suggest doing 3x5 until you max out on your weight, and then do more sets/reps (or consider then if you want to join a gym).
5x5 is not too much for beginners, just different goals.
>>
>>37785857
So high volume & low intensity = endurance and
low volume & high intensity = strength, right?
Hypertrophy comes either way though, as long as you train hard.
So 2x4 and 2x8 (the one I'm doing now) could be the best of both worlds (strength & endurance) by being exactly in the middle, right or wrong?
>>
File: 1467182527477.png (42 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
1467182527477.png
42 KB, 1008x1008
>>37785892
3-5 x 5 is usually the recommended balanced range.
Less than this is very strength heavy.
3 x 8-12 is recommended for accessories, whose main objective is not to increase strength.
More than this is probably endurance, especially if you're going up reps instead of weight.
>>
>>37785915
>More than this is probably endurance, especially if you're going up reps instead of weight.
are you talking about the accessories or the 3-5x5 here?
So I guess I should change my 2x4 + 2x8 to 3-5x5, unless I wanna be a powerlifter, is that right?
>>
>>37785796
slither on, slugger
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.