[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello I'm trying to start weight lifting with two 5kg dumbbells.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: chunli.jpg (32 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
chunli.jpg
32 KB, 350x350
Hello I'm trying to start weight lifting with two 5kg dumbbells.
What kind of exercises can I do for start?
I don't need flashy muscles, just more raw strenght in my upper and lower body.
I have read the sticky but apparently you need a gym for that.
Thank you for your advices.
>>
>>37783268
With 5kg dumbells not much.
Buy gymnastic rings, a pull up bar and a dip station. Cheapest homegym and you can get really strong.
Or go to a gym up to you.
>>
Duct tape the weights to your ankles indefinitely and walk around.
>>
>>37783268
>http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Go through each muscle group and look for dumbbell exercises

Most gym exercises (deads, squats, bench, shoulder press) can be simulated with dumbbells
>>
>>37783313
This is true but with 5kg dumbells wtf is the point?
>>
>weightlifting
>5kg dumbbells
absolute madman!
>>
>>37783321
Not him but if he does the workout without little to no rest and fierce I think it would be quite good.Also for some exercises he can combine the the weights of the dumbbells and make a 10kg one.
>>
>>37783321
>>37783342
>>37783343

I'm starting lifting for the first time. I thought it would be the best choice to start with 5kg and slowly increase.
It's not like i'm tied to 5kg dumbbells forever.
>>
>>37783321
>>37783343
>>37783367
Considering OP is probably starting out at "I've never lifted before", lifting literally anything will be better than lifting nothing.

But yeah OP, look to increase the weights over time, it doesn't matter how fast you do it and how quickly you get big; you're doing it for yourself aren't you?

If you're happy with your progress, keep increasing at whatever speed is comfortable.

This boards full of DYEL people who've seen pics of zyzz and want MAX GAINS NOW.
>>
>>37783367
I'd strongly advise getting a gym membership soon. You'll learn more exercises/more machines, and its much more convenient and natural to do decent weights on a bar instead of having your arms flopping around in the air trying to support dumbbells
>>
>>37783444

Thank you. If you have advices about dumbbells and good accessories/exercises i can do at home I will gladly listen to you.
However what weight would be acceptable for a dumbbell?
>>
>>37783453

The problem is i study and work so i have little to no time for gym.
And i don't have a car, the nearest gym is rather poor.
>>
>>37783467
>>37783467
I've never really used dumbbells, but most of the beginner workouts contain barbell lifts that can be substituted for dumbbell equivalents.

Make sure you use a weight that feels safe, don't increase your weights because you think you should. That said, there's a bit of theory behind increasing weight over time:

Your body's job is to keep you alive, and that means becoming efficient at things so that they require less energy/fuel/whatever you want to do it. If you do for example a 65kg leg press (the entry level weight on the leg press at my gym) over and over again, each time you do it your body becomes more efficient at doing it, which means it can move oxygen into the muscles faster and more efficiently. This means that your muscles get less of a workout over time because your body becomes used to dealing with the exertion.

This is why people are always looking to improve the amounts they can lift, because even to maintain you need to always keep the body guessing and learning.

>http://fitsticky.com/novice-programs/

There's a link to the Starting Strength program I'd advise starting there. E.G. where it says

>Start with the bar (which should weight 20kg for a men's bar, or 15kg for a women's bar) and do a set of five reps

And just use the same weight with dumbbells.

The problem you're gonna have is that you won't have as many different dumbbells as a gym has, which is why you really should consider signing up to one asap.

>Disclaimer

Lots of people complain about this program vs that program, which programs are meme programs and all that shit.

In reality, the difference between different programs is a min-max thing, meaning that for a beginner it doesn't matter what program you start as long as you don't overdo it, because it'll be quite a shock for your body to go from "sitting on my ass eating pizza" to "doing regular exercise".

1/2
>>
>>37783618
2/2

The most important thing to remember as a beginner is that ANY EXERCISE is better than NO EXERCISE.

The second most important thing to remember as a beginner is your diet. Its as simple as calories in vs calories out (out = burned off).

>more out than in?
You're cutting (losing weight)
>more in than out?
You're bulking (gaining weight)

Decide what you want from your body, after that you'll need to look at the best (read: healthiest) ways to get your calories requirement into your body.

This means less junk food, less fizzy drinks, less alcohol, and more protein, oily fish, chicken, brown bread, pasta, rice.

I realised I've gone off on a few tangents but I hope this helps.

And always remember that 90% of people on /fit/ are either
>novices like you
>trolling novices like you

Be careful where you get advice from, learn the basics of how to body deals with different substances (nutrition, supplements etc.) and that'll help you filter at least some of the shit out of this board.

The fit sticky is safe (linked above) as is the /aesthetics/ pastebin

>http://pastebin.com/4iceBWqw

You've got a good attitude, good luck bro, we can all make it (wherever "it" is).
>>
>>37783476
If you don't wanna go super serious, you could always just exercise outside, its basically a free gym. You'll end up working more on cardio outside than your weightlifting, but fitness is still good to have.

That said my gym (I'm in the UK) is £23 a month and its open 24/7, so that's a possibility if you're in the UK
>>
Feeder workouts
>>
>>37783268
>I don't need flashy muscles, just more raw strenght in my upper and lower body.

typical boring dyel retard talk
>>
File: One million keks.jpg (10 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
One million keks.jpg
10 KB, 240x210
>>37783268
>>
>>37783757
>I don't care how I look
>I just want functional strength

>stupid dyel

Isn't that the exact opposite of dyel
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.