[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Large deficits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Let's settle this. I know that the leaner you get the more chance you have of losing muscle on a /large deficit/
But how lean is lean? Is it safe for a 16%bf individual like me to cut down to 10% on a deficit ranging from 600-1000 calories PROVIDED I do the following:

-Eat enough protein
-Lift regularly and properly
-Get enough sleep

Tell me about your experiences /fit/. Did you successfully cut on a large deficit? State the deficit and the bodyfat percentage (roughly) that you began at.
>>
>>37732555

I cycled protein sparring modified fasts for 5 months. I dropped from 345 to 220 - went from ~45% body fat to ~20% body fat.

The deficit was somewhere between 2,000-2,500 calories.

My advice is to ride out the cut and forget about strength gains. Instead, just lift what you're lifting and maintain what you have.

I tried to progress linearly, I hit a strength peak at around 300 pounds - 195/265/315/440 for 1RM. I tried to continue progressing and everything came crashing down.

I'm happy to be the lightest I've ever been in a decade, but it does feel rough having to start over at 115/165/185/225 for reps.

Both strength and body fat come and go. Back to the grind.

If you're only running a 600-1,000 calorie deficit you could probably get away with progressing once a week on some kind of modified Texas method program.

Good luck!
>>
>>37732589
I think what you've done is fine. Bulking is the time you can quickly progress again. The 'weakness' from cutting is only temporary like you implied. Congrats though, you've come a long way. I'm the OP, I'm basically just doing all the compound lifts known to man 3 days a week and maintaining my lifts.

From 20% body fat, how steeply are you planning to now cut, calorie wise?
>>
Just do a lot of cardio so you can eat more.
>>
>>37732763
Makes sense. Do you do this? What's your choice of cardio anon?
>>
>>37732810
HIIT

Also, wind sprints > jogging
>>
File: 1462039845909.jpg (101 KB, 464x550) Image search: [Google]
1462039845909.jpg
101 KB, 464x550
>>37732955
I see. I haven't done HIIT in a while. Unless my swimming sprints count. I suppose just throwing in a couple HIIT sessions a week would let you eat quite a bit more. Will have to look into it. Atm I more or less just do liss in the pool once a week and end the session with some swimming "sprints"
>>
>>37732810

I ride my bike a lot, to work, to the gym and just when I feel like it.

Riding a bike is not hard on your joints and I might see something cool whilst riding.

I also started running recently, I like it because its hard and really makes me feel like I have done something.

My mom swims a lot and I might start soing that in the future, also great because its not hard on your joints and works your whole body.
>>
PSMF worked out when I still had somewhat high BF%, but it works out less the leaner you get.

I don't recommend it if you try to gain a sixpack.
I felt miserable mentally, had mood swings like crazy and went apeshit over the most trivial things, bordering on depression.
I also hit a plateau and seeing your weight not drop despite all the suffering is like a punch in the face.

There is a reason it is recommended to have more diet breaks/refeeds the leaner you get.

I started eating more and instead added hiit/cardio.
Works like a charm.
>>
>>37733020
The bike thing is cool. You probably don't even think of it as labour as it serves a practical purpose in getting you places. Running is demanding. Part of the reason I avoid it :P True about swimming, you can go as hard as you like without ever having to worry about consequences later. Have heard rumors about swimmers shoulder? Idk. Either way it's god-tier cardio.

>>37733113
Nice anon. I guess PSMF really is just a way to kick start your cut. So what exactly is your deficit now? -500? Or..?
>>
Is a 600kcal cut safe? It's only just barely over a pound a week of weight loss. Shouldn't lose too much musc' right?

Also bump
>>
>>37733156
If the calculators are to be trusted then my deficit is still around -1300kcals or so.
(TDEE) of around 3200kcals.
At least on week days, I eat like a pig on weekends or when I'm stoned/drunk.
>>37733413
Yes it's safe, I actually didn't even have to deload even on PSMF.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.