[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such a thing as work strength versus gym strength? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 1462697889663.jpg (1 MB, 2400x3600) Image search: [Google]
1462697889663.jpg
1 MB, 2400x3600
Is there such a thing as work strength versus gym strength?
I'm easily the strongest out of my friends and have the best endurance. Like, there's not even a debate, YET at the gym, I'm among the weakest of us, with some of the weakest stats.
How the fuck do I explain that? Can it simply be psychological? I have an arm injury that prevents me from pushing at a certain angle (no problem with barbels, pushups, etc though) so maybe psychologically I think my pushing is weaker?
I think there's a damn good reason why my deadlift is strongest in my group, but none of my buddies do deadlifts so whatever.

But anyway, how do you explain like, old people from the country side who can crush you like a bug but who could never do any good in a gym?
have ticc for discussion.
>>
I have the opposite experience, smaller guys at work will move things faster because they have pretty much no regard for form. I'll set myself and slowly lift whereas they'll lift with their backs etc
>>
>>37665160
It's just a matter of repetition. People who do manual labor for a living get used to those movements and become more efficient at them. If you get a gym rat to do that shit for a few months he'll get much better at it. It's not really about strength, it's about technique.

t. done construction work and go to the gym a lot.

P.S. that bitch is revolting.
>>
Specificity.

If you have a good bench then you are good at benching.

If you have a good squat then you are good at squatting.

"Strength" is a very nebulous term.
>>
>>37665263
Idk what to say man. Even when we go biking, after a couple hours my buddies are dead tired and sweaty as shit while I could go on for hours, I'm also fatter and I easily have the fastest spring and farthest jump (we play football, basket, shit like that)
What I mean is it seems that gym only trains some parts of your body and you'll maybe look better, but overall you won't be much stronger that a heavy worker. Maybe stronger is some movements, like pushing forward (pushup / bench position).
>>
>>37665160
>Is there such a thing as work strength versus gym strength?

No.

The people responding here are probably weak.

When you push something like your squat up to 250kg, you get damn strong in general.

If you just push your curl up to 90kg, chances are you're still weak.

I worked on a farm with my uncle for a few years and even then I had no issues lifting heavy things ever, even when they were awkward objects.

Endurance is different though, I don't do cardio.
>>
What do you mean when you say you are the strongest out of our friends?
>>
>>37665160
>my deadlift is strongest in my group, but none of my buddies do deadlifts so whatever.
That's why you're friends aren't strong, all general strength is based in the hips and back
>>
>>37665440
The opposite actually.
If you push up squat to 250 kg, nobody cares, there's 90% chance you are just fat fuck with strong legs.
Pushing curl up to 90 kg means you have huge biceps and big arms, that's more relevant than big legs
>>
>>37665304
Wrong.

Strong squat = strong
Strong curl = not strong

Hips and back m8
>>
>>37665391
Well, yeah. Compound lifts like deadlift and squat will make you stronger than a only bunch of isolations will.
>>
>>37665470
Found the fattie
>>
>>37665440
While I agree with what you said a 200lb curl is ridiculous (assuming no cheating). Anyone who can do that would be pretty strong.
>>
>>37665468
If you say shit like this you are basically standing up and telling everyone you don't even lift.
>>
>>37665450
The latest example is from today (which made me open this thread) when I asked some of my stronger bros to come help me at my summer hut, just some work around it, carry some woods and shit, drink a couple beers and go home.
After like an hour or carrying heavy shit all over the place, they were all sweating like man and panting and started complaining while I had no issues.

But mostly, we play a lot of sports, ride bike, jog and shit and I'm usually the most resistant. I tire and stuff but I'm the last one to stop and can usually go on for a long time even doing heavy work.

Yet at the gym my lifts are some of the weakest, not like fucking 50 kg difference, but generally weaker by a bunch.
>>
>>37665391
This is broscience man. There are no "anecdotal facts". Bodyweight training and mixing up your workouts totally prevent this. Box jumps, battle ropes, kettle bells, etc. will give you practical strength. Also doing heavy ass compounds. Just train like your training for a sport in the gym, not hypertrophy.
>>
>>37665440
You should do cardio, garuanteed your lifts will go up.
>>
>>37665391
If you're fatter you have more stored energy and if they have more muscle mass they require more overall energy to do shit like cardio.
>>
>>37665160
I once fucked a prostitute who looked like that....
>>
>>37665470
The biceps is WAY more functional than strong legs /hips
If you ever worked a physical job once in your life you should know this
>>
File: ciglane_snow.png (1 MB, 1180x732) Image search: [Google]
ciglane_snow.png
1 MB, 1180x732
I sometimes have to carry heavy boxes up these stairs (that's only a quarter of them in the picture.)

Three months ago it took me half an hour and I was completely drained and drenched in sweat , a couple of days ago I did it in a fraction of the time and was barely sweating at the top.

I still weigh-in at a borderline obese 105kg. The only difference is my squat went up from 40kg to 120kg. Didn't even do calves. So my money is on strength carrying over to pretty much every physical activity.
>>
>>37665263

>revolting

Idk man I would eat that pussy
>>
I can push double or triple what my friends can push on a prowler. (~700lbs for 50 yards on turf) but I struggle with a 300lb squat.
>>
>>37665778
>istina za vedrana
>>
>>37666234
It's form and "muscle" memory
>>
>>37665160
That actually is a thing.
There's a difference between your gym strength and your functional strength.
Like back when I didn't go to the gym right, I was a lot stronger than any of my friends who lifted. It's because most gym exercises do not train your functional strength.
>>
>>37665593
Lmao
>>
>>37665440
>When you push something like your squat up to 250kg, you get damn strong in general.
>If you just push your curl up to 90kg, chances are you're still weak.
Confirmed for being a weak ass bitch, with actual bitch tits, who's not fat, just bulking, and yet cannot even squat double bodyweight, let alone bench press double bodyweight.

A strict barbell curl with 90kg is up there with a 4pl8 log press and car deadlifts for reps.

There IS something like work strength - I've worked construction, been a farm hand and an animal handler and my current job has a major physical component to it.

Being strong in the gym and being able to keep up being strong for 6+ hours are completly different things.

Bench pressing 3pl8 for a few reps and squatting more 2xBW on a fucking bulk didn't help me at all while I way loading hay bundles with a pitch fork.
In fact, three years ago, when a 4pl8 squat was the goal, not the work load for reps, I had an easier time loading hay - because I didn't have to carry around extra, useless muscle mass that didn't do shit with the job at hand.

Being ~10% body fat at ~22-23 BMI will make you a better worker than being 10% body fat at ~28-30 BMI.
>>
>>37665160

Really sucks she got the tattoos.

Her body is the epitome of high test.
>>
File: 1442436336582.jpg (87 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442436336582.jpg
87 KB, 1080x1080
I feel like amber rose is one of those girls that you only talk to when you wanna fuck. After you bust a nut deep inside of her, you're instantly disgusted with yourself. But you'll end up fucking her again when you get horny
>>
File: 1417308180512.jpg (6 KB, 248x250) Image search: [Google]
1417308180512.jpg
6 KB, 248x250
>>37668306
I would drain all the semen from my balls into her vagina, but I wouldnt introduce her to my parents. Same goes for Nicki Minaj.
>>
File: 1442436517975.jpg (368 KB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
1442436517975.jpg
368 KB, 1600x2400
>>37668542
same except I wouldn't touch minaj
>>
>>37665263

Pretty much this. I work in healthcare and often have to transfer patients that require a lot of assistance or are totally dependent. You learn proper body mechanics and become skillful at things naturally in order to protect your body and conserve energy.

That shit feels heavy at the gym because you simply haven't gained the coordination to control the weight. Neural adaptation is important when it comes to being strong.
>>
File: 1441921837942.png (482 KB, 639x569) Image search: [Google]
1441921837942.png
482 KB, 639x569
>>37665160
Because lifting (as in at the gym) is a skill, it's technique. You need to TEACH your body to deadlift, squat and bench press.

That's why if you take a month break off the gym you are weaker, it's not necessarily because you've lost some negligible muscle, it's because your body kind of forgot how to recruit the necessary muscle fibers to press a weight up effectively.

This is why even people who weight 180+ lbs and can do full ROM pushups for like 50 reps no problem can't bench 135lbs for their first few times
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.