[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody here been part of the military? How does it relate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 00k2_gunner.jpg (133 KB, 600x518) Image search: [Google]
00k2_gunner.jpg
133 KB, 600x518
Has anybody here been part of the military?

How does it relate in terms of fitness?

I'm considering joining the Royal Air Force as an Intelligence Officer.

Can anybody on this board give me any info on what it's like in the military?
>>
In British Army reserve, not the same but in army infantry standards are mile and half in under 10:30 for basic solider, so just aim for that
>>
depends where you are, I guess. I was in the artillery and most of the time was spent waiting, talking shit, driving, sleeping, eating and being bored.
>>
>>37655065
Most important thing about going for intelligence in the RAF is your aptitude test. 80% of people going for aptitude tested branches (Pilot, intelligence, aerospace battle manager) fail at the first stage of testing.

Apart from that I am serving in the RAF and training and the life has been amazing.
>>
Armerica Medical Officer here. Our standards for passing PT are 16 minute 2 mile run, 50 push ups in 2 minutes and 60 sit ups in 2 minutes. If you do other things like Soecial Forces or direct combat roles the standards are different and harder.

>Intelligence Officer
>Not an oxymoron
>>
>>37655169
What kind of things do they test for on this apititude test?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! How was your IOT?
>>
>>37655065
Navy SO2 here, once you get past selection you can get pretty big. We got a good amount of dudes who roid also, so I guess its pretty nice for /fit/izens.
>>
>>37655065
Was airborne infantry in the US Army, and in terms of fitness it was ridiculous PT every morning. If someone wanted to be stronger/faster/bigger they would have to go to the gym on their own time.
>>
>>37655241
Aptitute testing looks at your mental maths, your memory, hand eye coordination...etc

Most of it is functions you grew up with but if you play a lot of video games and you are quick with your mental maths then you stand a good chance of passing.

IOT was great. Just have a good attitude and get stuck in. There will be times it will be shit. You will be away for 7 days with maybe 3 hours sleep a night and tabbing with kit 50km a day but power through.
>>
File: pqd.webm (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
pqd.webm
73 KB, 640x640
Parachute Brigade in the Brazilian army.
The pre requirements were quite easy desu.
First selection stage is:
>2.5km in 12 minutes
>32 pushups
>5 pullups
>35 jump pushups
>40 situps in 1 minute
>8km with 5kg load in 1 hour
>5m wall climb
>3m trench jump
>being able to swim (they literally just want to know if you aren't a nigger who will drown and come back from the dead with a lawsuit against the corporation)

Of course it gets way harder during actual training, but they don't expect you to be some super athlete from day one. They will just kick your ass until you get used to it. A lot of the guys who quit in my class did it more out of fear and stress than being out of shape.

It will be a life changing experience, but don't go in relying solely on your fitness levels because it's a lot more than that. Giving up every homely comfort you've got used to in your life is real shock to a lot of people. The military isn't a gym or a sport team you get paid to attend.
>>
File: hemmingway.jpg (66 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
hemmingway.jpg
66 KB, 1366x768
I was but cant tell you what i did, it is top secret
>>
>>37655242
>Navy SO2
If you aren't trolling, have you been deployed and are you allowed to talk about it?
>>
>>37655558
Yeah I've been on one combat deployment so far, I'm still pretty new. I was in Afghanistan, can't really talk too much about what I did if you want specifics but I can tell you were stuck doing fuckloads of FID these days.
>>
>>37655629
how was SERE?
>>
During basic you will look reasonably fit you won't come out a monster. The main thing the military will give you is the mentality to push through the suck and once you have that then it's all just about the time it takes.
>>
>>37655640
Boring as fuck. Basically finding time to fap in really weird scenarios.
>>
>>37655683
do they actually torture you for real or is it just some stress position bullshit?
>>
>>37655704
They play really weird music and shit like that and keep you in weird postitions but no waterboarding anymore or anything like that.
>>
>>37655065
currently in the military, finnish so it's a bit different then a voluntary army
gained quite a bit of fat and can't lift nearly as often, cardio has probably gone down a bit too
I guess the main benefit has been improving my social skills since I'm kind of autismo and learning to sleep in weird places
>>
>>37655065
Currently got my application in for Sandhurst.

As far as I can tell from talking to ex-squaddies and Ruperts, it's running, running and more running with weights. Basically the antithesis of /fit/.

Best of luck with your application man.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.