[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
beans bitch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
So come expensive car troubles came up and I'm going to try to eat really really cheaply and relatively healthy for the foreseeable future. Rice, tuna and eggs are going to be my staples I think. But I've never really cooked/ate/had beans(pinto, kidney, etc.) at all and I've seen them come up alot in similar threads.
What kind should I get?
Which are a best in price and nutrition value?
Should I buy in bulk?
How are they even prepared??
>>
Also, any and all advice on cheap eats in general would be much obliged
>>
You have to soak beans overnight before you can cook them. Then you just boil them. It's a pain. You're better off buying canned black beans. They're cheap, precooked, and good for you. You can eat them hot or cold right out of the can.
>>
Get a rice maker and a bag of rice. It's cheap as fuck, and easy to cook with. Ear lots of cabbage. It's cheap. Chop it thin and throw some into the rice while it's cooking. After it's done, mix in a can of beans to cool it off, and it's ready to eat. Minimal work, cheap as fuck, and reasonably healthy.
>>
>>37329704
Only old beans have to be soaked.

Dried beans that aren't old can be boiled like rice.

I buy pinto in bulk, but black and red kidney both have slighter highher fiber, and i think better amino profile.

Doesnt matter. Beans is best carbs, esp for cutting.
>>
Make yourself eat one cup of rice, and one can of beans a day with cabbage. That's about $1 a day. Treat eggs as a luxury item, and only eat them as you can afford it, for the sanity of having something different.
>>
>>37329615
Lentils are superior to beans in pretty much every way. More protein, more fiber, and they don't seem to upset the digestive tract as much. I like to sprout mine, but it's a time commitment seeing as you need at least 3 days to see some appreciable sprouting.

I like to make a sprouted lentil stew with sprouted/soaked brown rice:
1lb (dry) of lentils that are sprouted for 3+ days
1lb (dry) of brown rice
1 bulb of garlic (sounds like a lot, but it flavors the stew well)
~1lb spinach
Add any meat of your choice (bacon is good), or don't if you want to have a vegan-friendly recipe.

Basically just boil the lentil sprouts and rice in lightly-salted water at a high-to-moderate heat in a covered pot until soft, then dial back to low heat and add the chopped garlic and spinach, and leave the pot uncovered to boil off the excess water while the starch mixes in with the remainder to produce a thick stew. If you decide to add meat, cook it first, then add it in with the garlic and spinach. Add salt to taste and enjoy.
>>
>>37329615
Cook a whole thing in a roaster for a couple hours after soaking overnight.

Pound of bacon.
Onion
Ketchup
Some mustard
Tomato soup
Whole thing of beans

Best beans ever with actual intense flavor. Makes a fuckload.
>>
File: 1447627411257.jpg (164 KB, 690x1127) Image search: [Google]
1447627411257.jpg
164 KB, 690x1127
>>37329615
/fit/ recipes general?
>>
File: Diet.jpg (308 KB, 563x723) Image search: [Google]
Diet.jpg
308 KB, 563x723
>>37330055
>>
File: foods.jpg (913 KB, 1218x2643) Image search: [Google]
foods.jpg
913 KB, 1218x2643
>>37330067
>>
File: _fit_ Cookies.jpg (152 KB, 540x792) Image search: [Google]
_fit_ Cookies.jpg
152 KB, 540x792
>>37330078
>>
currently living the /fit/ poverty lifestyle (rice, beans, vegetables and oats) AMA

for beans, meal prep is fucking essential. Get a huge pot and cook all your beans on a Sunday night, then either make all your meals or store them in water in a tub for the rest of the week.
>>
>>37330106
What kind of veggies do you eat? Thinking of living off broccoli, cauliflower and green onion.
>>
>>37330744
frozen broccoli, kale, onions and potatoes (if you count them)

frozen broccoli is god-tier, kale is cheap as fuck and low calorie + some protein. Onions last forever and are essential to soups, decent nutritional value too. Potatoes simply because they're cheap and filling.
>>
>>37330922
Checked.

Do you eat rice for your carbs aswell or just the potatoes?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.