[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the optimal amount of rest between sets? i take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: mNCATJu.jpg (9 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
mNCATJu.jpg
9 KB, 240x232
what's the optimal amount of rest between sets?

i take quite long rests and i just realised it might be why my lifts are still so shit.
>>
>>37288815
I do 2-3 mins between compounds and 1-2 mins between isolations and feels good to me. Maybe 4-5 mins for heavy deads
>>
i do 10 reps on the kettlebell, rest for 10.

After 40 reps, switch up and goto 20 reps.
Rest for 10 for example.

If cycling, i do HIIT for a minute, then rest for 30 seconds...and repeat.

Depends on the workout.
>>
I rest 3 minutes for compounds and 2 minutes for accessories. I might rest a bit longer if I feel that I won't be able to finish the set.
>>
>>37288835
>>37288844
fuck, i tend to rest ~5 minutes minimum.
>>
>>37288815
if you're squatting 135 it's 5 minutes if you're squatting 405 it's 90 seconds
>>
>>37288835
this
>>
I like ~8 minutes between sets desu, otherwise I simply can't complete my sets.
>>
When squatting 5x5 at 90% of my 5rm... first rest is usually like 4-5 mins, the rest of them are 7-8.

Honestly, the optimal amount of rest is as much rest as you need to complete your next set, without your body cooling down. Sure I could probably crank out 5 heavy squat sets with 3-4 mins rest, but I'd have valgus out the ass and probably start taking long ass pauses between reps.
>>
Rest until you're ready for your next set.

I don't know what it is with you people who want to quantify every little aspect of lifting thinking it'll make a difference.
>>
Unless you rest like 8+ mins between every set it's not your rest times that makes your lifts shit.
>>
>>37288907
>~8 minutes
>>
I time rests based on the reps per set:

4-6 = 3 minutes
6-8 = 2 minutes
8-10 = 1 minute

I lift heavy for fewer reps on compounds and lighter for more reps on isolations, so this scheme works for me.
>>
>>37288815
3-5 mins for heavy compounds, but you can even go 8+ if ur attempting 1rm or some shit

Acceessories its rly up to you, the more you rest the more you'll be able to push out.
>>
>>37289188
you're on a forum for beginners don't pretend when you first started you weren't looking for tips and tricks
>>
>>37288815
>resting between sets
Do people actually do this? Jeez you'd think people that take the time to go to the gym wouldn't be so lazy
>>
>>37288847
yup, me too.
>>
3 for bench, ohp

5 for squat

7 for deadlift

Obviously when I started with just the bar a year ago I rested much less
>>
>>37288847
>>37288907
>>37291375
you guys must be powerlifters
>>
>>37288815
Resting too little will absolutely kill your progress.

On heavy bench and OHP (like over 75% of 1RM), if I try to do 90 seconds rest instead of 3-5 minutes, my arms will just give out after 2 or 3 reps.
>>
>>37289350
You should start going heavy instead of doing lmao50reps at 15% or 0.20BW.
>>
>>37288847
>>37291336
>>37288907
>>37291375

What do you guys do, 1 rep? 3 reps?

>>37289273
This.
>>
>>37288815
90 seconds.
>>
>>37291480
I do anywhere from 3-8 reps as well amraps. While I don't want to waste time at the gym by resting too long, I also don't want to waste an entire gym session by not resting enough. After the last rep of the last set I am utterly exhausted even if I rest a lot, if I didn't rest that much I would miss a rep.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.